PDA

View Full Version : Generic warning light on

GileraWarren
09-26-2012, 08:49 AM
Yesterday my generic warning light came on. The one that's a triangle with a exclamation mark in the middle. This came about 5 miles after I installed my new Eibach springs so I don't know whether that's a coincidence or somehow caused by something with the suspension. ther's no electrical sensors on the suspension that I know of. I know from experience with my part-time job that on most Euro cars it is usually from some accessory like air suspension or even washer fluid etc. I have an OBD11 tester and as I suspected it doesn't show any powertrain codes. I've checked all lights and turn signals but nothing appears wrong anywhere. Anybody have any Ideas or any clue how to erase this light.

Dwaynek
09-26-2012, 09:34 AM
The light is usually for an oil change. Put key on but don't start. Press gas pedal down 3 times turn off then start if it is the oil light it should go off.

GileraWarren
09-26-2012, 11:03 AM
The light is usually for an oil change. Put key on but don't start. Press gas pedal down 3 times turn off then start if it is the oil light it should go off.
Yea that worked. Thanks. BTW I like your avitar, my two favorite cars of all time

SeaDawg
09-26-2012, 11:07 AM

Not to be snarky, but why would one just reset the oil change light without having the oil changed? Of course I am excluding that it wasn't reset the last time the oil was changed.

sjmst
09-26-2012, 11:39 AM
Not to be snarky, but why would one just reset the oil change light without having the oil changed? Of course I am excluding that it wasn't reset the last time the oil was changed.

Mine went off after 3500 miles. I reset it. No synthetic oil should be changed that soon absent something really bizarre. And I do NOT drive full out.
I think it is just a nanny computer working off some algorithm.

09-26-2012, 11:45 AM
Mine went off after 3500 miles. I reset it. No synthetic oil should be changed that soon absent something really bizarre. And I do NOT drive full out.

Or....a car manufacturer trying to scare you into EVEN more service appointments. $$$

Pinecone
09-26-2012, 11:56 AM

Yes it is, but it also means that the manufacturer requires you to change it at that point, and by not doing so, you open the possibility to a warranty refusal down the road.

bryanintowson
09-26-2012, 02:10 PM
Mine went on at 8500 - time for an oil change!

GileraWarren
09-26-2012, 10:20 PM

I actually changed my oil/filter at 2500 miles. I just didn't know anything about the oil reset light. Your synthetic oil may very well be good for 8500 miles or more but I would never leave original oil put in at the factory for that long just not knowing anything of the circumstances etc from start up when the engine is new....just sayin. I change my wifes oil once a year regardless of mileage which usually turns out to be 10~12k and use AMSOIL in all my vehicles. Used to use MOBIL 1 but it's now almost as expensive as AMSOIL and it's always hard to find 5-40 syn at the local stores

Pinecone
09-27-2012, 06:13 AM
Yeah 5W-40 is not a common oil.

Locally I see Castrol (which I have no problem using). My studio gave me a $200 gift card, so I have used it to buy Pennzoil Ultra from them.

ENZOSON
09-27-2012, 08:28 AM
Yesterday my generic warning light came on. The one that's a triangle with a exclamation mark in the middle. This came about 5 miles after I installed my new Eibach springs so I don't know whether that's a coincidence or somehow caused by something with the suspension. ther's no electrical sensors on the suspension that I know of. I know from experience with my part-time job that on most Euro cars it is usually from some accessory like air suspension or even washer fluid etc. I have an OBD11 tester and as I suspected it doesn't show any powertrain codes. I've checked all lights and turn signals but nothing appears wrong anywhere. Anybody have any Ideas or any clue how to erase this light.

Could you be so kind as to post a few photos of your Abarth with Eibachs installed? Sportlines?

thanks

GileraWarren
10-11-2012, 06:40 PM
Could you be so kind as to post a few photos of your Abarth with Eibachs installed? Sportlines?

thanks

I've just posted some updated pictures with the Eibachs installed on the Grigio picute thread.

shonokin
10-12-2012, 11:04 AM
Funny, I had my oil changed two days ago and just now the engine light came on. It does say "change oil" now when I start the car. I tried the trick with putting the key in the ignition and pressing the gas peddle three times but that didn't make it go away. Any other tricks for turning it off? Or maybe I'm doing it wrong somehow?

10-12-2012, 11:16 AM
Funny, I had my oil changed two days ago and just now the engine light came on. It does say "change oil" now when I start the car. I tried the trick with putting the key in the ignition and pressing the gas peddle three times but that didn't make it go away. Any other tricks for turning it off? Or maybe I'm doing it wrong somehow?

Make sure the key is turned to ON but dont start the car. Then press the gas pedal fully down 3 times within 10 seconds and then turn the key off and remove. Put the key back in and the light will have gone!

shonokin
10-12-2012, 12:23 PM
Make sure the key is turned to ON but dont start the car. Then press the gas pedal fully down 3 times within 10 seconds and then turn the key off and remove. Put the key back in and the light will have gone!

Thanks! I did all of that but I don't think I pulled the key out all of the way after pumping the pedal. I'll try it at lunch break.

BTW when getting the oil changed I wound up having the whole engine pulled and having an oil sealant plate replaced. It was leaking oil big time. Apparently a certain production run on that plate did not have a high enough groove stamped into the metal and so the sealant could not keep it properly sealed. I asked why it wasn't a recall and they said it wasn't a major number of cars or a big enough issue to make it a recall. That when cars come in for service, if it's leaking from that plate that they will replace it. All under warranty, so no problems and my loner was a Mustang convertible. Awesome muscle car (compared to a 500 Pop) which I'd always wanted to try one out, but very honestly, I like everything better about my Fiat!

cmj912
10-12-2012, 03:30 PM
Thanks! I did all of that but I don't think I pulled the key out all of the way after pumping the pedal. I'll try it at lunch break.

BTW when getting the oil changed I wound up having the whole engine pulled and having an oil sealant plate replaced. It was leaking oil big time. Apparently a certain production run on that plate did not have a high enough groove stamped into the metal and so the sealant could not keep it properly sealed. I asked why it wasn't a recall and they said it wasn't a major number of cars or a big enough issue to make it a recall. That when cars come in for service, if it's leaking from that plate that they will replace it. All under warranty, so no problems and my loner was a Mustang convertible. Awesome muscle car (compared to a 500 Pop) which I'd always wanted to try one out, but very honestly, I like everything better about my Fiat!

Do you have the part number for the part said to be leaking? - should be on your paperwork.
Did you ever see oil leak in a driveway or place where you were parked?

I'm trying to help my dealer figure some things out any way I can.

Thanks

shonokin
10-15-2012, 04:53 PM
I'll check for the part number on the paperwork tonight. But no, no oil on the ground since the engine has a shield underneath that would catch any leaks. But when the mechanic pulled that engine bay floor off of the bottom, it was covered in oil.

shonokin
10-15-2012, 09:29 PM
Sorry, the work order doesn't say the part name, but just says "main rear seal".

LRGRNSD
01-08-2013, 01:36 AM
Mine went on at 8500 - time for an oil change!

Owner's manual says 7500. My son's a mechanic so I had him change the oil at 5000. The light went on at 8075.