PDA

View Full Version : Paint Chipping above Emblem

Corrnaus
09-24-2012, 05:40 PM
Hey fellow Abarth Owners,

Wondering if anyone else I having an issue with pair chipping under the Abarth emblem.. I noticed it one day while I was washing it and getting low to get the bugs off. It seems like the emblem is too tight and just the everyday movement from driving it causing more to chip.. I do recall this issue happening at other locations on the regular 500s. I just send these pictures to my dealer to see about a warranty issue.. If this is happening to others the more people that send in the issue the more likely it will be dealt with... I really think that just touching it up will do the trick cause it will just happen again

ScorpionSkins.com
09-24-2012, 07:17 PM
Such a shame...

I can't recall if it was your vehicle or someone elses, but I saw this issue first hand on one of the Abarths at the Italian Car Day in Vaughan. If there's one shortcut Fiat took, it's on the paint quality of these vehicles. Every Fiat I've seen has some paint overspray/chipping/quality issue and I'm not looking forward to encountering the same when I drive a future model.

I wonder how well the paint finish will hold up with seasonal wear and age. It seems to be a relatively common occurrence.

Corrnaus
09-24-2012, 08:23 PM
well if it was a white Abarth it was mine.. back then it was not that noticeable at all but over the last 7 weeks it has grown significantly

deathshead
09-24-2012, 09:11 PM
Is your dealer/Fiat making it right?>

jguerdat
09-25-2012, 08:48 AM
I can't recall if it was your vehicle or someone elses, but I saw this issue first hand on one of the Abarths at the Italian Car Day in Vaughan.

Dang! Shoulda joined the forum before then. I was there with Darryl Stacey from WNY FLU and coulda met up with you guys!

/hijack

EugeneS
09-25-2012, 12:26 PM
looks like I got the same problem... :(

ftower
09-25-2012, 03:07 PM
Same problem I had (check the Paint Failure/Flaw thread for my pictures) and chances are it'll get worse. Touch-up paint would not fix mine as the paint would not adhere. Fiat made it right, but they had to take off the bumper, take off the front emblem (it's on with multiple one-way washers and a nut), prepare the area, repaint and then re-clear. The body shop said it was poor prep work at the factory combined with putting the emblem on too tight that caused the problem.

Corrnaus
09-25-2012, 03:18 PM
that might be a bit of an issue.. I got a clear bra wrap on the whole front.. unless they can prep and re paint it without damaging that. It was not cheap and I can guarantee that they will not pay to get that fixed.. When I first got the clear bra it was not a big issue cause it was chipped just a bit but it has got worse over the past 6 weeks

EugeneS
09-25-2012, 04:24 PM
that might be a bit of an issue.. I got a clear bra wrap on the whole front.. unless they can prep and re paint it without damaging that. It was not cheap and I can guarantee that they will not pay to get that fixed.. When I first got the clear bra it was not a big issue cause it was chipped just a bit but it has got worse over the past 6 weeks

I got the clear bra too... i don't think they'll be able to repair this without removing the film. I'll be going to Studio next week for oil change, will ask service manager

zero
09-26-2012, 12:42 AM
Wow, and here I though It was just me. I'm going to contact my delar and see what they say.

satellite
09-26-2012, 04:26 AM
Guess I'll have to check this out... Is it just Bianco cars? I mean I doubt it, but it looks like only people with Bianco cars are responding.

Corrnaus
09-26-2012, 10:17 AM
The more people that come forward with this issue, the higher chance Fiat will do something about fixing it. When I went to my dealer a few weeks ago they had the last 12 they got.. it was also a bianco and I noticed the same issue on that one

jguerdat
09-26-2012, 02:50 PM
FWIW, mine is also white and I have nothing even remotely resembling a chip, bubble or other defect. Mid-May build date...

trevc
09-26-2012, 05:58 PM
Just checked my Nero Abarth real close and sure enough it has started bubbling right above the emblem.
Going for my PCM flash Saturday so I guess I will get them to take pictures and start the warranty claim process :apologetic:

EugeneS
09-28-2012, 03:30 PM
Went to my studio today for oil change, the took pics of the area said they'll send them to Fiat for evaluation... let's see what Fiat will say.

Corrnaus
09-28-2012, 09:36 PM
mine are also waiting evaluation from Fiat

EliRider
09-29-2012, 07:06 AM
Just checked my Nero... Which was in the first run.
I too have this issue. And have VentureShield.

jguerdat
09-29-2012, 08:07 AM
Just checked my Nero... Which was in the first run.
I too have this issue. And have VentureShield.

How do you determine what run it was in?

trevc
09-29-2012, 11:55 AM
The Studio took pictures and submitted them to Fiat Digital Imaging this morning. Will see what happens.....

Just checked my Nero Abarth real close and sure enough it has started bubbling right above the emblem.
Going for my PCM flash Saturday so I guess I will get them to take pictures and start the warranty claim process :apologetic:

09-29-2012, 12:36 PM
Grigio doesnt chip!!! Well, mine doesnt around the badge but I have found my first stone chip...on the roof! Paint on order!!

Tatersaladftw
09-29-2012, 09:08 PM
Mines chipped above the emblem. Grigio 2012

EliRider
09-29-2012, 10:40 PM
Me too. Chip on roof just a few inches from windshield.

Grigio doesnt chip!!! Well, mine doesnt around the badge but I have found my first stone chip...on the roof! Paint on order!!

EliRider
09-29-2012, 10:41 PM
By first run... I was on the first rail train to the US.

How do you determine what run it was in?

satellite
09-30-2012, 12:12 AM
Yep, same for me 2012 Grigio mid to late build. Still have the suitcase exhaust, but just barely... Gonna get it checked out soon.

FiatCares
10-03-2012, 05:18 PM
The Studio took pictures and submitted them to Fiat Digital Imaging this morning. Will see what happens.....

TREVC: Any word on Digital Imaging?

deathshead
10-03-2012, 07:02 PM

Jonathan. I think it's pretty obvious we have 2 major qc issues here
The paint issue and the side skirt issue, these have been reported/confirmed by MULTIPLE owners.

The question is will this be a case by case at dealer discretion or will FIAT acknowledge and fix as a tsb?

Crossfirecat
10-03-2012, 08:03 PM
Add my 2013 Bianco to the list. After reading this thread I went out and took a look around my front emblem and noticed I have the same issue as the OP. :(

satellite
10-04-2012, 12:23 AM
Add my 2013 Bianco to the list. After reading this thread I went out and took a look around my front emblem and noticed I have the same issue as the OP. :(

Well that's not good. Fiat needs to know about this and fix it in the production line as I'm assuming it may end up costing quite a bit if they are painting bumpers....

trevc
10-04-2012, 08:37 AM
No word yet.

FiatCares
10-04-2012, 10:50 AM
Jonathan. I think it's pretty obvious we have 2 major qc issues here
The paint issue and the side skirt issue, these have been reported/confirmed by MULTIPLE owners.

The question is will this be a case by case at dealer discretion or will FIAT acknowledge and fix as a tsb?

Fiat will acknowledge any defect and address it per the terms of the warranty. A TSB is simply a service manual addendum, a repair procedure. Ill contact engineering and see if they are working on something. Not sure if/when a TSB will come out for it.. not sure what has to happen or how many documented warranty cases have to occur for one to be issued being that the vehicle is so new. Rest assured, your vehicle will be repaired !! :) Ill make sure of it.

FiatCares
10-04-2012, 10:53 AM
No word yet.

Would you mind sending me your VIN and studio name.. Id like to follow up with them today.

Crossfirecat
10-04-2012, 07:27 PM
Here is a pic of the "chipping" above my emblem. It appears the emblem itself is digging into the paint and causing the problem.

satellite
10-04-2012, 11:57 PM
I'd honestly be OK with some sort of rubber surround to cover up the problem, but I guess when the dealer took off my front emblem they said the paint was bubbling up already underneath. They sent some pics in to Chrysler/Fiat to see what they want to do.

10-05-2012, 12:10 PM
I picked up my brand new Abarth on Wednesday and the paint was starting to bubble right above the emblem. This definitely has to be some sort of manufacturing problem. Huw and Michael of Motor Village L.A. took pics and said they are sending them up the chain.

trevc
10-05-2012, 05:37 PM
Just got a call from the Service Advisor saying the work had been approved by FIAT and that the whole bumper cover will be repainted.
They are setting me up with an appointment at the body shop they use.
They did say that Fiat would not pay for a loaner vehicle for paint repairs but the studio offered to try and find something.

Thanks Jonathan for moving the process along!

Would you mind sending me your VIN and studio name.. Id like to follow up with them today.

EugeneS
10-05-2012, 05:51 PM
Great to hear they called you back! :)

I am still waiting...

FTY
10-05-2012, 06:53 PM
Just discovered it today...I have chipping above emblem...SH!T.

deathshead
10-05-2012, 07:02 PM
Nothing here yet on the 13' knock on wood,

but I do have a tiny rock chip in the front of the hood already GDAMMIT!! I would rather take the buddling paint atleast I know it will be fixed.

Crossfirecat
10-06-2012, 10:04 AM
I guess I'll swing by my studio this week and have them look at mine. Just really upset about having to repaint the whole front bumper on a two week old car! The emblem is digging into the paint causing the problem to begin with on mine. So what happens when it starts again? The emblem needs some type of foam backing or something to keep those sharp edges from rubbing the paint.

deathshead
10-06-2012, 01:00 PM
Just got a call from the Service Advisor saying the work had been approved by FIAT and that the whole bumper cover will be repainted.
They are setting me up with an appointment at the body shop they use.
They did say that Fiat would not pay for a loaner vehicle for paint repairs but the studio offered to try and find something.

Thanks Jonathan for moving the process along!

So, Lets get this straight.

Guy buys first brand new car ever. (at msrp)
Only car to get to work
Car has workmanship related defect.
Said dealer can be 50+ miles away.
Work can take up to 2 weeks.

Dealer does not offer any type of loaner or rental for customer to get to work for that time?
FAIL

satellite
10-07-2012, 02:30 AM
I agree with deathshead, that's a bummer. I mean I'd rather not have the ENTIRE BUMPER repainted and be out a car for two weeks. Isn't there a slightly more elegant solution if the emblem is simply digging into the bumper?

pastor passum
10-07-2012, 09:04 PM

Only car to get to work

Dealer does not offer any type of loaner or rental for customer to get to work for that time?
FAIL

First off, if it takes 2 weeks to prep and paint a front bumper, someone's doing something wrong. But the more important thing I see is...IF A DEALER DOESN'T PROVIDE A LOANER WHILE YOUR DEFECTIVE NEW VEHICLE (UNDER WARRANTY) IS IN FOR REPAIRS, WHETHER FOR 2 DAYS OR 2 WEEKS, THAT DEALER SHOULDN'T EXPECT ANY REPEAT BUSINESS. With as many paint issues as Fiat is having they really need to rethink some of their warranty policys if they want to stay in business in this country. The competition is too good!

trevc
10-08-2012, 10:00 AM
Fiat wont pay for a rental but the dealer said he would take care of me.
He said they need the car for 24 hours to prep/paint the bumper cover. Not a huge deal for me.

Only car to get to work

FAIL

EliRider
10-08-2012, 10:26 AM
Most dealers/studios are top notch. Both the Boise Idaho and Portland Oregon Studios are as well.

We should be targeting our feedback to Fiat and not the studios.

Unfortuantely I will have to deal with reapplying VentureShield. Fiat???

He said they need the car for 24 hours to prep/paint the bumper cover. Not a huge deal for me.

pastor passum
10-08-2012, 11:27 PM

That sounds like a reasonable turn around time. Glad to see the dealer will take care of you with a loaner. It's been my experience that usually if you're positive and respective with dealers, they'll treat you right also. Hope it turns out good.

MarkG
10-09-2012, 10:24 AM
I inspected my Bianco Abarth and found a thin line above the front emblem that has chipped off, only noticeable at close inspection. I have been considing a red pinstripe.

shabba
10-11-2012, 12:30 PM
Well, I'm going to chime in. Washed the car last night and I've got it now too. '12 Bianco. I'm about to call my studio now and see what the process is. I've heard horror stories about Whitten Bros. regarding their other lines but so far the Fiat part of Whitten has been good to me. I've also got the side-skirt issue on the drivers side.

Any word on this being a TSB?

EugeneS
10-11-2012, 04:31 PM
Got a call from my studio, they will repaint the front bumper and I will get the loaner for couple days. Thank you Jonathan for all your help!!! :)

Corrnaus
10-11-2012, 07:26 PM
Got a call from my studio, they will repaint the front bumper and I will get the loaner for couple days. Thank you Jonathan for all your help!!! :)

Glad this issue is being taken care of... I still have not heard back form my dealer and will be calling early next week if i do not hear anything.. I have a big issue if they need to re paint to bumper cause I have the expel clear bra wrapping the whole thing.. And I will not be paying to have that replaced

EugeneS
10-11-2012, 11:53 PM
Glad this issue is being taken care of... I still have not heard back form my dealer and will be calling early next week if i do not hear anything.. I have a big issue if they need to re paint to bumper cause I have the expel clear bra wrapping the whole thing.. And I will not be paying to have that replaced

Thank you! Try to PM your VIN to Katie (FiatCACares), Jonathan here in US was very helpful.

I also have clear bra, custom wrap, but last month during the trip to Oregon I caught a stone with my front bumper and it punctured a hole in the film. Looks bad. So I'll let them remove the bra from bumper and then I'll have to get new wrap just for the bumper.

trevc
10-12-2012, 09:24 AM
Dropping mine off Monday to get the front repainted. Keeping my fingers crossed it comes back ok!

EugeneS
10-12-2012, 12:26 PM
Dropping mine off Monday to get the front repainted. Keeping my fingers crossed it comes back ok!

Me too, let's see which studio works faster... They told me it will take couple days :)

compns8
10-15-2012, 10:03 PM
I was just at dealership helping a friend pick out a new car since her civic just died. While there I pointed out the bubbling above the emblem to a gentleman whom had just bought his Abarth and was about to drive off. I felt a little bad putting a slight damper on his day.

shabba
10-15-2012, 10:58 PM
Well, I'm going to chime in. Washed the car last night and I've got it now too. '12 Bianco. I'm about to call my studio now and see what the process is. I've heard horror stories about Whitten Bros. regarding their other lines but so far the Fiat part of Whitten has been good to me. I've also got the side-skirt issue on the drivers side.

Any word on this being a TSB?

Ok... the studio has taken pictures of the emblem peeling and the side skirt issue. They will be submitted to chrysler for warranty approval. I hope to hear something within a week. Ill post my results as soon as i have them.

FiatCares
10-16-2012, 12:19 PM

Awesome! Glad the studio is stepping up and doing the right thing to keep a client happy.

FiatCares
10-16-2012, 12:25 PM
Ok... the studio has taken pictures of the emblem peeling and the side skirt issue. They will be submitted to chrysler for warranty approval. I hope to hear something within a week. Ill post my results as soon as i have them.

Thats the correct process for the studio to follow and based on what Ive seen the studios are stepping up.. I havent seen one that was declined. Let me know if I can help in any way

shabba
10-16-2012, 02:33 PM
Thats the correct process for the studio to follow and based on what Ive seen the studios are stepping up.. I havent seen one that was declined. Let me know if I can help in any way

I'll keep you updated. It seems I've been fortunate thus far and have had no issues. Bonus? The girl behind the counter yesterday was, shall we say, easy on the eyes and blessed with ample, um, those things? I might have more issues with the car from this point on.

satellite
10-16-2012, 04:17 PM
I was just at dealership helping a friend pick out a new car since her civic just died. While there I pointed out the bubbling above the emblem to a gentleman whom had just bought his Abarth and was about to drive off. I felt a little bad putting a slight damper on his day.

I wouldn't fee too back, it's almost every car I have seen. I pointed it out on a few cars sitting on the dealer's lot as well, just in case they wanted to fix them.

Racerflash
10-16-2012, 06:47 PM

Jonathan, my car won't even be delivered until mid November and I'm already worried about the paint! Any word from Fiat that they acknowledged this problem and taken steps to correct the problem at the factory???

trevc
10-16-2012, 07:08 PM
Well, got a call mine was ready, just shy of 24 hours after I dropped it off.
Unfortunately the body shop did a bad job. Approx. 5 raised bumps on the front; looks like they painted over some dirt or something.
So, the studio is taking it back to the body shop tomorrow for attempt #2.

EugeneS
10-16-2012, 07:15 PM
Unfortunately the body shop did a bad job. Approx. 5 raised bumps on the front; looks like they painted over some dirt or something.

Sorry to hear that... hope they'll do a better job this time. I haven't got the call yet, left my car on Monday morning.

trevc
10-16-2012, 07:50 PM
FIAT just needs to buy me one of these :-) Coming soon from Pogea Racing.

Sorry to hear that... hope they'll do a better job this time. I haven't got the call yet, left my car on Monday morning.

FiatCares
10-17-2012, 10:11 AM
Jonathan, my car won't even be delivered until mid November and I'm already worried about the paint! Any word from Fiat that they acknowledged this problem and taken steps to correct the problem at the factory???

There isnt anything in place for vehicles prior to delivery. The studio inspects them when they are delivered (for transportation damage) and then accepts the vehicle. If there are any defects, they are then addressed by the manufactures warranty when the client takes ownership. I thinks its alittle premature to worry abo9ut a vehicle you havent even seen yet.. think positively and be excited for its delivery!! :)

EugeneS
10-17-2012, 04:25 PM
Picked up my Abarth today, front bumper looks as good as new! :) Will have to be very careful for the next month or so not to get chips, clear bra after that. Oh, by the way, they put layer of something between the emblem and the bumper, so now there is very tiny (almost invisible) gap and the emblem does not cut into the paint any more...

ScorpionSkins.com
10-17-2012, 04:47 PM
...Oh, by the way, they put layer of something between the emblem and the bumper, so now there is very tiny (almost invisible) gap and the emblem does not cut into the paint any more...

This sounds like excellent news! :)

trevc
10-17-2012, 07:52 PM
Great news!

Picked up my Abarth today, front bumper looks as good as new! :) Will have to be very careful for the next month or so not to get chips, clear bra after that. Oh, by the way, they put layer of something between the emblem and the bumper, so now there is very tiny (almost invisible) gap and the emblem does not cut into the paint any more...

trevc
10-17-2012, 07:58 PM
I got a call it was fixed so headed back to the dealer. I am still not 100% happy but close enough that I signed the paperwork to get my car back.
The studio contracted the work out to Auto Body America.
All I can say is, if you are in the Memphis area and want paint/bodywork done, don't use Auto Body of America on Covington Pike. Their quality sucks. I am not convinced they even removed the bumper cover from the car. I just hope it holds up. I don't want to have to deal with them again.

Corrnaus
10-17-2012, 09:46 PM
I got a call it was fixed so headed back to the dealer. I am still not 100% happy but close enough that I signed the paperwork to get my car back.
All I can say is, if you are in the Memphis area and want paint/bodywork done, don't use Auto Body of America on Covington Pike. Their quality sucks. I am not convinced they even removed the bumper cover from the car. I just hope it holds up. I don't want to have to deal with them again.

At least something is happening with yours.. have still not heard anything back from my dealer about my chipping.. been almost 4 weeks since they were looking into it

EugeneS
10-18-2012, 03:01 AM

Unfortunately it all depends on the body shop they use. I just got lucky my studio picked a really good one. Hope it will hold up for you...

shabba
10-18-2012, 09:41 AM

At least something is happening with yours.. have still not heard anything back from my dealer about my chipping.. been almost 4 weeks since they were looking into it

Is this wait normal, Jonathan? 4 weeks? I certainly hope not.

SeaDawg
10-18-2012, 09:51 AM

Corrnaus is in CANADA. That is a whole different set of people to deal with (FIAT Canada).

shabba
10-18-2012, 11:55 AM
Corrnaus is in CANADA. That is a whole different set of people to deal with (FIAT Canada).

Excellent. For me, not Corrnaus.

FiatCares
10-18-2012, 12:43 PM

Shabba: Send me a PM with your vin and studio name and I will look into it for you.

10-18-2012, 02:01 PM
I just got a call back from my studio. I'm bringing in my car on Monday and they're providing me a loaner.

Thanks Jonathan for helping me out. The process seems like it was expedited once you worked your magic! :thumbsup:

hanzo
10-22-2012, 03:36 PM
Is this still an issue on the 2013s?

shabba
10-23-2012, 08:23 AM
Shabba: Send me a PM with your vin and studio name and I will look into it for you.

Jonathan, by the time I remembered to get back to you on this, Whitten had already called me. They've approved my work and I'm looking at taking the car in for the claim this coming Monday (10/29/12). Service has told me it will be a 3 day long process. Is that a standard time table for paint repair? Seems reasonable to me.

FiatCares
10-23-2012, 10:36 AM
Jonathan, by the time I remembered to get back to you on this, Whitten had already called me. They've approved my work and I'm looking at taking the car in for the claim this coming Monday (10/29/12). Service has told me it will be a 3 day long process. Is that a standard time table for paint repair? Seems reasonable to me.

Yes, I would say three days is reasonable. Im happy they are stepping up for you. Are they providing a rental/loaner?

10-23-2012, 11:39 AM

Is Katie onto this one? I wouldnt expect as much from Fiat our side of the border as they just dont seem to be as bothered as the US parent is with its customers. Ive been very lucky so far with things like this and the side skirts etc, just had one stone chip on the roof at the front that Ive fixed myself after buying the paint from my nearer Chrysler dealer. I cant tell where it is and I did it with no painting experience or talent just my kids tiny Crayola brush!!! Maybe Grigio is the most forgiving colour for marks?!

Corrnaus
10-23-2012, 04:05 PM
Is Katie onto this one? I wouldnt expect as much from Fiat our side of the border as they just dont seem to be as bothered as the US parent is with its customers. Ive been very lucky so far with things like this and the side skirts etc, just had one stone chip on the roof at the front that Ive fixed myself after buying the paint from my nearer Chrysler dealer. I cant tell where it is and I did it with no painting experience or talent just my kids tiny Crayola brush!!! Maybe Grigio is the most forgiving colour for marks?!
I submitted the pics into the dealer and just waiting for a response back. Been about 5 weeks since i sent in the pictures.. Going to call this week and see if there is an update

shabba
10-24-2012, 09:40 AM
Yes, I would say three days is reasonable. Im happy they are stepping up for you. Are they providing a rental/loaner?

Yes they are, all 3 days.

Racerflash
10-24-2012, 09:53 AM
I'm taking delivery of my 2013 in 2-3 weeks. Has anyone still had the paint chipping problem on 2013s?

Thanks,
Flash

shabba
11-02-2012, 11:42 AM

So....an update. I took the car in on the 29th for the work which consists of repainting the bumper and replacing the drivers side skirt where it is peeling away from the metal. I figured on the repair taking longer than 3 days what with the hurricane rolling in here on the East Coast. They called me yesterday and said the car would be ready today (Friday, the day I am typing this), so 5 days which, again, I have no complaints about because of the storm. They called me just a moment ago and said the skirt has been held up and it will be Tuesday now, the 6th, before the skirt comes in and the car is ready.

Is that typical? Let me say that I am not complaining. Whitten has been FANTASTIC. I get updates on my car, I have a loaner that they are letting me have as long as the service is being done and they've been nothing but helpful. I can say that the customer service with Whitten Fiat here in Richmond has been extraordinary thus far. Jonathan (Fiatcares), you can quote me on that if you like. I just want to know if replacing the skirt has been the typical solution to the adhesive issues I've been reading about here and, if so, how long has that taken on average?

shabba
11-08-2012, 09:15 AM
Final update: I got the car back yesterday. As they said, the drivers sideskirt was indeed replaced. The front bumper was repainted and it's as if there was never an issue to begin with. I had the loaner car for exactly 9 days with no cost passed on to me.

I'm pleased.

hanzo
11-08-2012, 09:21 AM
Final update: I got the car back yesterday. As they said, the drivers sideskirt was indeed replaced. The front bumper was repainted and it's as if there was never an issue to begin with. I had the loaner car for exactly 9 days with no cost passed on to me.

I'm pleased.

Good to hear.

jasonL
11-08-2012, 09:26 AM
Shabba,

I've been following your story and I am glad it all worked out for you.

I have a similar issue with front bumper paint on my 2012 Lounge. Paint peeled off the bumper as I was drying it after a weekend wash. There is also a bit of flakiness visible under the chrome "mustache" to the left of the Fiat emblem, but you really have to look hard to see it. I have another thread here in the forums about my problem so I'm not going to rehash it this post.

I'm just happy to hear that you got your issue fixed. I only visited my dealer last Friday (Nov 2) and don't even have a claim number yet, so...we'll see how it goes.

Jason

shabba
11-08-2012, 03:31 PM
Shabba,

I've been following your story and I am glad it all worked out for you.

I have a similar issue with front bumper paint on my 2012 Lounge. Paint peeled off the bumper as I was drying it after a weekend wash. There is also a bit of flakiness visible under the chrome "mustache" to the left of the Fiat emblem, but you really have to look hard to see it. I have another thread here in the forums about my problem so I'm not going to rehash it this post.

I'm just happy to hear that you got your issue fixed. I only visited my dealer last Friday (Nov 2) and don't even have a claim number yet, so...we'll see how it goes.

Jason

Good luck Jason. My dealer, Whitten Brothers, has been around Richmond for a long time. Depending on who you ask, they either have a stellar reputation or they are reviled. My sister had a very bad experience with them in 2005 when she bought a new Mazda 3. However, it seems the Fiat arm of Whitten is top notch. I'll be writing a letter of thanks to them for the work and Tracey's help, my service adviser.

fxtion
11-10-2012, 05:07 AM
I'm glad I found this thread. Mine has the same exact problem. I'll contact my dealer on Monday. I also found a chip near my rear hatch. It's right on the edge of the seam of the trunk.

AbarthP
11-10-2012, 08:27 AM
I'm glad I found this thread. Mine has the same exact problem. I'll contact my dealer on Monday. I also found a chip near my rear hatch. It's right on the edge of the seam of the trunk.

Take a picture of the hatch. I found one too.

Deefourtay
11-16-2012, 04:58 AM
I brought my Abarth is for this issue but the told me that they can't do anything until they submit a photo of the issue to Fiat because they never seen anything like it before.. It's been over two weeks no and my studio doesn't answer the phone or return my messages.. Horrible service! I emailed Fiat Headquarters already about the issue as well, I hope to get heard soon and I might try another Fiat Studio as well.

EugeneS
11-16-2012, 01:36 PM
I brought my Abarth is for this issue but the told me that they can't do anything until they submit a photo of the issue to Fiat because they never seen anything like it before.. It's been over two weeks no and my studio doesn't answer the phone or return my messages.. Horrible service! I emailed Fiat Headquarters already about the issue as well, I hope to get heard soon and I might try another Fiat Studio as well.

Deefourtay, I'd recommend to PM Jonathan (FiatCares). He was very helpful in my case.

Corrnaus
11-16-2012, 02:20 PM

This is the process that the dealers are doing.. Taking a picture, send it to FIAT to make sure it is a real claim, then getting back to you.. I heard back from my dealer about 5 - 6 weeks later, which is when my dealer heard back from Fiat.. And to say that this is an issue they have not seen before is a farce, becuase this is on a majority of the Abarth, and if it is not over time it will appear.. mine was very small but has got larger.. Mine should be going in monday to get this all sorted out.

As for the dealer not picking up their phone or answering you calls is another thing.

FiatCares
11-19-2012, 12:32 PM

Yes, I can help. PM me with your VIN and studio name. Any cosmetic issue like that has to be reviewed by our Digital Imaging dept after photos are taken by the studio.

cmj912
11-21-2012, 11:01 AM
Considering that the service experience varies so much from place to place (and, to be fair, with any marque) it is probably a best practice to take your own library of photos that shows the date and time on the picture for your own reference and protection.

Even better is video - if you have the ability. Much less rigamarole if you have actual performance evidence of what they should be looking for. With my current concern - the burning oil smell - I'm kinda out of luck because they don't make cams with smell-o-vision so all they have to say is "we can't get it to do that".

My Studio, which originally had me come in for the photoshoot to prove the failing rear badge, now stocks front and rear FIAT badges in the parts department and agreed to replace it this time only having been the recipient of photos *I* had taken. I assume they pulled off the badge and photographed it for FIAT during the service itself, but they didn't make me wait this time. If something becomes enough of an issue often some of the red tape will be lessened.

DCAbarth
11-23-2012, 09:08 PM
Ugh, so I don't drive my Abarth too much (I'm a bicycle commuter) and had PPF installed before the first post on this thread... but today I was doing some spot detailing and saw the paint issue above my front emblem. Thee PPF starts well above the emblem and paint chipping, so it's not a result of the installation.

I'm pretty sad to have found this... especially since I have a pretty keen eye and see the most non-obvious things. But not this one caught me totally off guard! I just broke 3k miles (told you I don't drive much), so it's really not even a wear and tear thing. :(

Deefourtay
01-11-2013, 01:35 PM
Here's an Update..

I dropped my car off January 2nd and finally got it back today.. (Over 1 week) Enterprise Loaner

They painted the bumper therefore fixing the issue, but they had to take off my Clear Bra =[ I asked if Fiat can reimburse me for a new bra, but the Studio has to wait on a reply from them.

-Ryan

DCAbarth
01-13-2013, 07:54 PM
My studio said fixing the chipping wouldn't be a problem but my clear bra might be in the way. Let me know if FIAT says they'll reimburse. I wouldn't expect it, but you never know. I'm going to touch base with the guy who did my ppf instal and see if he'll work with me.

Deefourtay
01-14-2013, 02:52 PM
I highly hope they will come around and reimburse me for my C-Bra because it's not my fault that the car had a paint defect in the first place. My C-Bra installer told me he'll just charge $150 to re-do the bumper when I told him about my situation.. I was thinking of just doing that and submitting a receipt for the work to Fiat later if I can.

I hope I don't have to regret this whole situation because I found a couple paint imperfections near both side vents, looks actually worst then when I originally brought the car in now. Will advise my Studio about it

djhace
03-22-2013, 05:57 PM
oh crap, i got that issue too. hm. wonder if i can go to any fiat studio or do i have to goto the one i bought the car from?

mine is white. 2013.

Corrnaus
03-22-2013, 06:22 PM
oh crap, i got that issue too. hm. wonder if i can go to any fiat studio or do i have to goto the one i bought the car from?

You should be able to go to your local studio for them to put in a warranty claim for you. Once my car comes out of storage ill be finally getting with issue resolved.

Yesterday I got a call from my studio here in Canada and it was for a recall on the rear badge. I know that was an issue with some cars where the black and the rear emblem was coming off. It has not happened to mine yet, but still going to go in and get a new one which hopefully will not do it in the future.

Now they just need to do something about the front badge

03-22-2013, 07:03 PM
Odd, Ive not heard about a badge recall at all... Not got any problems with either yet! Wonder if the colour of the car makes a difference? Winter nearly over, 30k driven and only one tiny stone chip which I fixed - lucky so far

Deefourtay
03-22-2013, 08:16 PM
I had my bumper repainted through the Studio but the issue came back again, I had already put the Clear-Bra back on so ehh I give up.. I'll just leave it like that. :nonchalance:

Btw, any Local Studio should be fine DJhace, they will open a case for you.. However I had to Contact the Fiat/Chrysler Customer Care Hotline to speed things up! It should take about 4-7 days in the shop and they provide you with a Rental Car (Comped)

Thomas
03-23-2013, 11:55 PM
Don't thinks it is a recall, there is a TSB out on this though. My rear badge has some discolouration, so I will be bringing this up when I take her in.

Odd, Ive not heard about a badge recall at all... Not got any problems with either yet! Wonder if the colour of the car makes a difference? Winter nearly over, 30k driven and only one tiny stone chip which I fixed - lucky so far

Mr. Man
03-26-2013, 09:23 AM
I've got a few stone chips on my bumper, but yeah nothing touch up paint can't fix

04-18-2013, 11:13 AM
So now, Ive got the paint issue above the front badge :(

Its only noticeable if I get right in to look at it so Im not too bothered by it BUT if I leave it will it start a **** load of rusting around the area??!!

Corrnaus
04-18-2013, 05:00 PM
So now, Ive got the paint issue above the front badge :(

Its only noticeable if I get right in to look at it so Im not too bothered by it BUT if I leave it will it start a **** load of rusting around the area??!!

The front bumper is plastic, so no worry about the rush but it is ugly to look at and might get worst over time.. Im taking mine to finally get fixed in a few weeks.. I am thinking about grinding down the badge at the back at a 45 of somethign to try and prevent it from happening again

OhioMade
04-19-2013, 12:15 AM
Is this happening on 2013 models too? Hmmmm I would have thought this would have been addressed on the line by now...

deathshead
04-19-2013, 11:11 AM
The paint on the front bumper and hood is garbage. I have like 50 little chips all over.
I hit a fox and put a scratch in it, but the nothing compared to the paint problems caused by this factory paint defect. The paint on my hood and front of a fender is also trashed.

You can breath on it and it chips.

EugeneS
04-19-2013, 01:15 PM
The paint on the front bumper and hood is garbage. I have like 50 little chips all over.
I hit a fox and put a scratch in it, but the nothing compared to the paint problems caused by this factory paint defect. The paint on my hood and front of a fender is also trashed.

You can breath on it and it chips.

Agree, when I had 500 Sport I had a lot of paint chips that I had to touch up. When I got Abarth I did full front wrap, makes huge difference! No chips at all. You might want to consider at least partial clear bra on your front bumper and hood. Downside of it when they had to repaint the front bumper under warranty for the above mentioned defect I had to reapply the film on the bumper.... so do the clear bra after they repaint and fix it.

04-19-2013, 05:17 PM
I barely see the missing paint unless i kneel at the front, grigio isnt as noticeable as the blanco in that respect. All new cars have crappy paint its a fact of life but after 33k of highway and winter driving im only at 1 chip so its not THAT bad!

Deefourtay
04-19-2013, 06:07 PM
I wised up when I bought my Abarth, first thing I did was Clear Bra the Entire Bumper, Hood, Fenders, Skirts, Mirrors, A-pillars, & roof.. It gives me more peace of mind and should help retain the value of the car more as well.. Plus my previous cars were trashed by road debris :crushed:

It's true the Dealership took the C-bra off when repainting, but FiatCares (Chrysler Corporation) helped me get a reimbursement to reapply it. Great hands on service I have to say :) Great to have a vehicle with Amazing USA Based Service instead of some kinda overseas/middleman bogus.

DMilla
04-19-2013, 07:02 PM
I just noticed the same paint chipping just behind my new 13 Abarth that I bought two weeks ago on April 6th. I also noticed the front chrome badge holder appears to be chipped or cracked as well just in front of the paint defect.

I've already contacted the studio where I purchased it, so we'll see how they handle it...

Deefourtay
04-19-2013, 07:42 PM

If you guys look at the 500 Turbo, it has a raised Emblem Area so the chipping issue might not be present with those.. I wonder if Fiat caught on and designed the 500t like that for a reason..

DMilla
04-20-2013, 10:04 AM

If you guys look at the 500 Turbo, it has a raised Emblem Area so the chipping issue might not be present with those.. I wonder if Fiat caught on and designed the 500t like that for a reason..

Could be. The functional differenct between the two is the Abarth badge bezel is purposefully vented as part of the intake system.

stratofortress
04-23-2013, 06:03 PM
Poo.

Brand new 2013 Bianco, less than 1k miles and just over a week and I have a couple of spots above the emblem where it's chipping.

:( will wait till it gets worse ARGH

mkawa
04-23-2013, 06:05 PM
honestly, i'm having trouble seeing the major problem here. if the worst we can up with is that some chrome paint on a logo badge didn't quite set right, we're doing pretty darn well. the guys on the focus ST forums are having their radiator piping take a complete dump 10 miles after delivery, and that car has final assembly in the US, with much of the driveline coming from germany.

stratofortress
04-23-2013, 06:20 PM
honestly, i'm having trouble seeing the major problem here. if the worst we can up with is that some chrome paint on a logo badge didn't quite set right, we're doing pretty darn well. the guys on the focus ST forums are having their radiator piping take a complete dump 10 miles after delivery, and that car has final assembly in the US, with much of the driveline coming from germany.Not major to me...just an annoyance. I mean, if it's covered under warranty might as well let Fiat foot the bill. It bothers me but I'll probably wait on it until my first oil change to see what the studio says.

Just strange because something as simple as emblem mounting should be pretty straightforward. At least with a mechanical issue there's a lot of moving parts so it makes sense something can go awry there (thankfully, ours is as minor as paint chips :)).

Mr. Man
04-24-2013, 09:29 AM
Thank god I'm not a fan of the focus. Never liked Ford.

04-24-2013, 08:15 PM
honestly, i'm having trouble seeing the major problem here. if the worst we can up with is that some chrome paint on a logo badge didn't quite set right, we're doing pretty darn well. the guys on the focus ST forums are having their radiator piping take a complete dump 10 miles after delivery, and that car has final assembly in the US, with much of the driveline coming from germany.

Its not the badge its the cars paint on the bumper just above the badge. Pretty bad design/quality issue - if it were a metal part it would rust away!!

OhioMade
04-24-2013, 11:36 PM
Poo.

Brand new 2013 Bianco, less than 1k miles and just over a week and I have a couple of spots above the emblem where it's chipping.

:( will wait till it gets worse ARGH

What is the build date on your Abarth? I have a Bianco with 1K build date of January 2013.

rickpike
04-29-2013, 09:32 AM
I just noticed on mine this weekend 2012 Gray Abarth paint is starting to chip.... Add me to the list...

nojeebs
04-29-2013, 09:56 AM
Very common problem for Abarth owners. One of the mechanics said it's not chipping and said it's just left over plastic from the factory....sure....I know the Fiat looks like a toy car but that doesn't mean it's assembled in a factory that makes 1/24 injection mold models. >____<

squeeze
04-29-2013, 11:25 PM
2013 Grigio, I've got this problem too.

Off to the dealer....

hartmn
05-02-2013, 10:56 AM
Greetings,

My car just turned a year old. It too has this problem around the front bumper emblem. However, I elect not to mess with it for fear of ending up with a much bigger mess.

"The quality goes in before the name goes on" En hecho en Mexico.

In reality, I don't car who is making this car where, Ford, Chevy, Mini, Dodge--this just ought not be in today's industrial market place. It's just crappy! I real wish the Fiat's were manufactured in Italy because at least I could blame the Italians:)

I still love my Abarth though! Its not going away! I'm keeping mine!

Hartmn

Very common problem for Abarth owners. One of the mechanics said it's not chipping and said it's just left over plastic from the factory....sure....I know the Fiat looks like a toy car but that doesn't mean it's assembled in a factory that makes 1/24 injection mold models. >____<

OhioMade
05-04-2013, 10:18 PM

It has started! I just rolled 1350 miles and paint has started to be pushed up by the emblem--cannot really see it too well in this pic. The paint is so thin, I don't think I would call it "chipping". More like peeling.

I had a January 2013 build date, so I was hoping I would be spared, but no, afraid not.

I was holding off on getting a clear bra to see if this would develop, glad I waited.

There a couple minor stone hits on the bumper, so I can see that the paint is very thin on this plastic bumper, and so maybe the emblem issue is inevitable (until they pad the back of the emblem or find another solution).

The car is only four weeks old... Do I wait for it to get worse, or do I get it looked at early. I don't know.

I still love the car!

13VaAbarth
05-08-2013, 07:50 PM
Add me to the list of chipping paint im gonna wait till I get a oil change in about 4 to 5k miles cause the dealer is a pain to drive too and seems like I need a appointment to get weekend stuff done. So ill mention it to them at that time.

overtaxed
05-13-2013, 08:23 PM
Add me to the list. I just noticed mine today after I washed the car. Car is a 2012 Bianco with 8.6k miles. Will be going to the Studio as soon as I can to get this taken care of hopefully.

DMilla
05-13-2013, 08:55 PM
I just noticed the same paint chipping just behind my new 13 Abarth that I bought two weeks ago on April 6th. I also noticed the front chrome badge holder appears to be chipped or cracked as well just in front of the paint defect.

I've already contacted the studio where I purchased it, so we'll see how they handle it...

After taking pictures and receiving approval from Fiat HQ, I dropped off my Abarth this morning. I'll report back o the quality of the repair job.

djhace
05-14-2013, 02:05 PM
alright, i just sent photos to my fiat studio. let's see what they say.

Deefourtay
05-14-2013, 05:21 PM
I've seen cars on the showroom floor with this issue.. Very costly mistake for Fiat if it's happening to the majority of our cars. Like I said in a previous post, I had mine repaired but it came back so I gave up on it and accepted the issue for what it is.

overtaxed
05-14-2013, 08:14 PM
Just took mine to the Studio and they took pics. Now just have to wait and see till they get back to me.

The white paint is just starting to peel away.

Corrnaus
05-14-2013, 08:20 PM
I've seen cars on the showroom floor with this issue.. Very costly mistake for Fiat if it's happening to the majority of our cars. Like I said in a previous post, I had mine repaired but it came back so I gave up on it and accepted the issue for what it is.

i cant believe that this is happening still with 2013 models when it was such an issue with the 2012's. Mine has been approved for the warranty work just need time to give the car up for a day or two soon.

DMilla
05-24-2013, 05:52 PM

Just got my Abarth back from the paint shop and all has been corrected. While they were at it, I paid the shop $75 to fill in the license plate holes since I'll run a Platapus bracket:

Tweak
05-24-2013, 09:03 PM
Just got my Abarth back from the paint shop and all has been corrected. While they were at it, I paid the shop $75 to fill in the license plate holes since I'll run a Platapus bracket:

Looks like they did a nice job. Sure you are happy to have her back!

SergeBot
05-25-2013, 09:46 AM
1200km of pure joy and then I notice this peeling/bubble by the front emblem ARG!!!!
2013 Bianco BTW

Corrnaus
05-25-2013, 10:58 AM

Did the dealer do anything to correct the emblem being so close.. I have a feeling that over time, this will come back and the car will be outside warranty

DMilla
05-25-2013, 03:30 PM
Did the dealer do anything to correct the emblem being so close.. I have a feeling that over time, this will come back and the car will be outside warranty

Nope...

keefer-c
05-31-2013, 05:45 PM
I bought my car two months ago, have a whopping 751 miles on it, installed a clear bra and have this issue... Sigh.

Berliner
05-31-2013, 06:07 PM
Keefer, Welcome to the secret Arbarth Club !!!!. So far so good for me I got my Ab for 45 Days 1500 Miles on the Clock and no Bubbles or peeling yet. I cross my Fingers. I hope your Dealer will all sort it out for you. Keep us posted

keefer-c
05-31-2013, 06:12 PM
We will see. I've already been to my Studio for quite a few things, and I think they've already chalked me up as "that guy" (I've only been there for legitimate reasons -- coolant consumption, they didn't get me my registration until well after my temp tags expired etc.). Regardless, they still seem pretty cool with me. We will see. I'll drop by tomorrow, and I know I'm going to face a ton of "this guy again" looks. Also, I guess I'll be out of the $625 I paid for the clear bra... oh well.

Corrnaus
05-31-2013, 06:26 PM
I bought my car two months ago, have a whopping 751 miles on it, installed a clear bra and have this issue... Sigh.

I feel for you Keefer.. I have a clear bra on mine also and FIAT will def not pay to have re-applied.. mine started out like that but have become much worse over the last 10 months. Ill be getting mine fixed finally in abotu 2 weeks. They said they are going to wet sand close then touch it up and try to make it as normal as possible.. hopefully it works the first time

keefer-c
05-31-2013, 06:32 PM
I feel for you Keefer.. I have a clear bra on mine also and FIAT will def not pay to have re-applied.. mine started out like that but have become much worse over the last 10 months. Ill be getting mine fixed finally in abotu 2 weeks. They said they are going to wet sand close then touch it up and try to make it as normal as possible.. hopefully it works the first time

As in they're not repainting the whole bumper? I wouldn't want them to attempt to fix it if they're not going to do it properly... I'll disassemble it and run the bumper to the body shop down the road and have it repaired at my own expense if that is the case... Or are they just doing that to try to preserve the bra? I still would rather have it repainted properly and pay for a clear bra application...

If I find many more issues with this car it's not going to be in my possession for much longer, I can promise.

Corrnaus
05-31-2013, 07:21 PM
As in they're not repainting the whole bumper? I wouldn't want them to attempt to fix it if they're not going to do it properly... I'll disassemble it and run the bumper to the body shop down the road and have it repaired at my own expense if that is the case... Or are they just doing that to try to preserve the bra? I still would rather have it repainted properly and pay for a clear bra application...

If I find many more issues with this car it's not going to be in my possession for much longer, I can promise.

It was approved fro FIAT to have the whole bumper re sprayed.. but since i have a clear bra on it that is not an option as they will not replace it,, so they will have to do a touch up and i want to see what it looks like beofre it goes back on the car or pay to have it done or ill have to live with it..

Im not sure what clear bra you have but mine is the xpel bra that is more then a 3M and would cost a few hundredto get a new whole bumper and labour to put it on. that is not an option when it lasts 10 year and it has only been on for 10 months.

what other issues are you having with your ride?

keefer-c
05-31-2013, 07:28 PM
It was approved fro FIAT to have the whole bumper re sprayed.. but since i have a clear bra on it that is not an option as they will not replace it,, so they will have to do a touch up and i want to see what it looks like beofre it goes back on the car or pay to have it done or ill have to live with it..

Im not sure what clear bra you have but mine is the xpel bra that is more then a 3M and would cost a few hundredto get a new whole bumper and labour to put it on. that is not an option when it lasts 10 year and it has only been on for 10 months.

what other issues are you having with your ride?

Yea, it will be another $600 to install mine if they do indeed approve a repaint. The 3M guy may give me a break though since the fenders and hood are still on there. I think I may just peel it all off, and apply 3M's new paint defender system. Other issues... well, not so many issues with the car itself, just minor stuff sort of. The car has been consuming coolant, which seems to have just been a normal thing due to air being in the system... Then they got my tags to me late... another minor issue. I also had taken my car to get an inspection done since I purchased it in another state... the place I took it too scratched the top textured surface of the dashboard. I was quoted $1500 to replace it (which of course I'm not going to do).

I just have bad luck I guess.

Corrnaus
05-31-2013, 10:09 PM
Yea, it will be another $600 to install mine if they do indeed approve a repaint. The 3M guy may give me a break though since the fenders and hood are still on there. I think I may just peel it all off, and apply 3M's new paint defender system. Other issues... well, not so many issues with the car itself, just minor stuff sort of. The car has been consuming coolant, which seems to have just been a normal thing due to air being in the system... Then they got my tags to me late... another minor issue. I also had taken my car to get an inspection done since I purchased it in another state... the place I took it too scratched the top textured surface of the dashboard. I was quoted $1500 to replace it (which of course I'm not going to do)

I just have bad luck I guess.

I hear ya. I have recently got new clamps cause my coolant level was down.. FIAT should be making a permanent fix because it seems to be a lot of cars. I was hit within the first 2 weeks of ownership on the rear bumper.. just a scuff and paint damage but its on the drivers side so i see it every time i get into the car.

Tweak
05-31-2013, 10:34 PM
Sorry to hear of another peeling paint problem...sure does seem to happen to the Grigio often. :( Luckily FIAT approved mine quickly, now just waiting for the body shop...hope your repairs go well keefer-c!

keefer-c
06-01-2013, 08:01 AM
Sorry to hear of another peeling paint problem...sure does seem to happen to the Grigio often. :( Luckily FIAT approved mine quickly, now just waiting for the body shop...hope your repairs go well keefer-c!

Yea... I'll be heading to the studio in an hour or two. We'll see what they have to say.

keefer-c
06-01-2013, 10:00 AM
I just got back from the studio. After talking with the service guys (one of whom I usually deal with and is a good guy), and another gentleman unknown to me (he seems possibly higher up the chain), we collectively acknowledged the issue, and since my clear bra is so new, we decided that I will bring it in at another time to start the process. Although, the guy that I've never met before tried to convince me that no further damage will occur (since mine is not really chipping, but there is an indentation in the paint due to the emblem), but I told him judging by the other pictures on this thread, I disagree. I pretty much set forth the information I derived from this thread, that the suspected culprit is over tightening of the emblem at the factory, and it has happened to a multitude of fellow Abarth drivers, etc. etc.

After we all exchanged conversation over the issue, I mentioned "well, I am curious to see if any other new Abarths on the lot have the issue, I can almost guarantee there is a good handful". The service manager said he was curious too, so we walked over to the first Grigio Abarth sitting right outside the studio door. Low and behold, it had the same issue, except really really bad.

Anyhow, seeing that mine is not quite chipping yet, and is not really readily noticeable, I'm going to let the new Clear Bra weather the storm for quite a while, and then have it fixed down the road. I was advised that my warranty for issues like this continue for some while, so I guess settling for a fix in the future is the better option.

I'll probably attempt to get it fixed in August, or perhaps next spring, depending if the issue worsens or not.

Tweak
06-01-2013, 11:57 PM
Makes good sense keefer, I thought about letting mine get worse only cause I don't want to be without Mirabella even for a day...lol. Glad it is working in your favor.

turbocharged
06-17-2013, 05:34 PM
My 2013 abarth is showing signs of chipping above the emblem. I'm going to contact the studio to let them know.

Mini Cord
06-17-2013, 07:50 PM
I had the car for 3 weeks, is a late 2013 build and is also peeling above the emblem. :(

rallyesports
06-25-2013, 12:18 AM
My 2013 also has a lil paint chip about the front emblem, the car is only 9 days old

hartmn
06-25-2013, 11:38 AM
ralleysports,

En hecho en Mexico! I can't believe it. My 2012 looks like this too! I never fixed this problem either. I have said here before it would be an even bigger mess in the end probably after the repair the dealer preformed. Fiat get with the program please. It's just a paint job. You really could do a lot better! The Ford commercials of the old days use to profess "the quality goes in before the name goes on"! But in this case it's just the opposite. My car a 2012 Abarth even had a lot of poorly painted and installed components such as the rear hatch. Contamination and handling marks on the rear lid and spoiler. I'm interested to see the quality in the new Dodge Dart. Do they have crappy paint jobs that flake off too? Is the Dart made in Mexico? Are you listening yet Fiat, or who ever reads these post here from Fiat? Jonathan? Can't you paint a car without it's paint vibrating off the car in the first few days? Believe me when I say my started to chip off I and I was waxing the car and I see this, almost passed out on the floor of my garage. it took my eyes a minute to focus on what I was looking at.

I couldn't believe when i read that some of the Fiat models coming out (500L I think) will be manufactured from Italy. Mexico's plant is one Burrito short of a full Mexican appetizer platter and it is still producing Abarth's that the paint chips off after a few days of ownership. How proud I am to have a car that's paint has chipped off the bumper after a few weeks of service. You suck Fiat for still having customers car's coming out today with this same issue's, and finding post "still" here about this same issue we complained about a years ago! Thanks, I needed to rant about this some more! Yikes!

hartmn

Hartmn

13VaAbarth
06-28-2013, 04:46 AM
So is Fiat basically respraying the whole front bumper when doing this repair or are they spot painting it and blending the paint? I want to know cause I have a pretty gnarly rock chip in my bumper from a piece of asphalt that came out of no where from two lanes over on the highway just attack my car.

Seafarer61
06-28-2013, 05:35 AM
Give Fiat time fellas...they're still trying to figure out how to make side skirts that stick to the side. ;)

On a more serious note however, I sure hope they get on top of this. I really don't want to see a return of the qc issues that plagued them in the 80's. I owned a Fiat during that era. It was tough love for sure.

DMilla
06-28-2013, 02:23 PM
So is Fiat basically respraying the whole front bumper when doing this repair or are they spot painting it and blending the paint? I want to know cause I have a pretty gnarly rock chip in my bumper from a piece of asphalt that came out of no where from two lanes over on the highway just attack my car.

Fiat had my entire front bumper resprayed by a reputable local paint & body shop. I had them fill in the license plate holes while they were at it. Very happy with the results. It's been one month since the resprayed so the paint has sufficiently cured. Now it's time to spray the nose with the 3M clear bra.

13VaAbarth
06-28-2013, 05:43 PM
That is good to know Dmilla so you going with the spray on 3m let me know that works out does it last a whole year or like 6 months cause I might do this as well.

James Turner
08-22-2014, 11:50 PM
I hate to bring up an old thread..but my White 2014 has the same issue...

Babel
08-22-2014, 11:56 PM
I don't have this issue, yet, I think.. But my rear hatch has a 4 inch rust spot that's stained my bumper and my front chrome whiskers tabs broke so I 3med them back to the bumper. I've had this car 2 months an it only has 19k on it.

So far worst car I've owned as far as body problems, vs my old sti or Z at least.

flavtron
08-23-2014, 02:20 AM
I hate to bring up an old thread..but my White 2014 has the same issue...

Same with my 2014 Bianco Abarth. I'm surprised they didn't fix the production issues like this - seems to have been an issue for the past couple years. Same with side skirts.

Bomiz
08-23-2014, 03:29 AM
mine is 10 times worse than that.. good thing I got a due bill for the dealer to fix all my paint **** when i bought the car :)

Corrnaus
08-23-2014, 09:10 AM
Same with my 2014 Bianco Abarth. I'm surprised they didn't fix the production issues like this - seems to have been an issue for the past couple years. Same with side skirts.

My dealer says that I have been the only one with that issue to come in. I have seen in on 90% of Abarth's. The Bianco and Rosso you can see it much more clearly then the other colours. I have even pointed it out to dealers that had not seen it before. The issue I think and the dealer agrees with me is that the emblem has threads right behind the logo that 2 bolts attach it to the bumper. The chrome side pieces are just held on by plastic one time use clips that they dealer has to break in order to get the whole emblem off. Those bolts I believe in the middle are being over tightened and that is rubbing and chipping the paint right at the top of the emblem.

So my issue has finally been resolved. We added in a thin washer so that the emblem now sits a small amount off the bumper and it will no longer rub again. They had to order me a new emblem that was on backorder for a month. I also took the time when they were painting the chip to plastic dip the chrome.. Now the blacked out look is complete

http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag145/Corrnaus/IMG_0878_zps2c98f84f.jpg

Phouki
06-17-2015, 12:31 AM
Got the same problem with the front emblem on my new 2015 Bianco Abarth. Only 2 weeks old.

I also have an imperfection on the passenger rear quarter panel. There's a black speck under the clear coat. I have notified my local studio and will see what happens.

Pretty dissapointing since this is still an ongoing issue.

Will this effect resale value since it will be re-painted and not considered to be original paint?

n2oinferno
06-17-2015, 01:41 PM
Mine had the paint rubbing off as well. I had it taken care of under warranty.

Tiny Turbo
06-17-2015, 02:39 PM
My 13' Rosso Abarth has this problem pretty bad... but I'm just going to let it ride how it is. :Whatever:
Already had the back bumper re-sprayed under warranty and the results were scary. Found it better not to roll the dice on a front bumper re-spray after that.

Not looking to sell the car anytime soon anyways. Too much fun, paint or no paint.

Nicounderground
06-18-2015, 01:26 PM
Hey fellow Abarth Owners,

Wondering if anyone else I having an issue with pair chipping under the Abarth emblem.. I noticed it one day while I was washing it and getting low to get the bugs off. It seems like the emblem is too tight and just the everyday movement from driving it causing more to chip.. I do recall this issue happening at other locations on the regular 500s. I just send these pictures to my dealer to see about a warranty issue.. If this is happening to others the more people that send in the issue the more likely it will be dealt with... I really think that just touching it up will do the trick cause it will just happen again

3606 no but now I must investigate :( my paint is chipped in the front already and from only street driving no hwy :(

Nicounderground
06-18-2015, 01:28 PM
Most dealers/studios are top notch. Both the Boise Idaho and Portland Oregon Studios are as well.

We should be targeting our feedback to Fiat and not the studios.

Unfortuantely I will have to deal with reapplying VentureShield. Fiat??? yes please call fiat ! I have a case with them and so many issues please you people call corp ! They will get things fixed ! They'll cal and get it done ! I've had to on about every issue since I bought it ... :( why lol why brand new toy ... Keeps being flawed :(

Nicounderground
06-18-2015, 01:30 PM
yes please call fiat ! I have a case with them and so many issues please you people call corp ! They will get things fixed ! They'll cal and get it done ! I've had to on about every issue since I bought it ... :( why lol why brand new toy ... Keeps being flawed :(. He in. Your paint coating ? Mine was out in before I bought it .. It's on my mopar connect .. And they told me NO WARRANTY ? Because I didn't pay for it ? What ? Lol ?

Jtpc2007
07-21-2015, 09:58 PM
had my emblem replaced and they touched up paint under warranty, but it is chipping again, so I'll see what they come up with. ??

little_c
07-22-2015, 05:57 PM
Thanks for reviving this thread. It is an issue on my car as well, but I probably wouldn't have noticed it without this heads-up. Hate to part with a car that I've only owned for 12 days, but better to have it fixed...

guards951
07-22-2015, 10:45 PM
Noticed it on my Rosso '15 a few days ago... Damn! I guess I'm glad that it's normal? Haha
Makes it easier to get taken care of, at least. I'm just extremely picky about my paintwork, so I'm scared to death that it'll need a full bumper respray! Just a chance for something to get screwed up.

Rocco Russo
07-23-2015, 09:43 PM
I have a Rosso with the same problem. And the paint in general chips SO EASILY from rock chips on the highway

fra-gee-lay
07-26-2015, 12:25 PM
I'm having the same problem as well :concern:

little_c
09-16-2015, 06:15 PM
For those of you who had this issue and had it repaired, under warranty, by FIAT- did you get a rental car from the studio?

My local studio has approved my warranty claim through FIAT, but are refusing to provide me a rental car despite needing to have my car 2-3 days. Service manager says that because the repair is "cosmetic" and does not impact the mechanical function of the car, he cannot provide a loaner. I say, 1: I'm within my 12 month/12,000 warranty - purchased new in July 2015, 1800+/- miles 2: It's a manufacturing defect, and 3: This is my only source of transportation, so you need to provide a loaner. He is supposedly "checking with FIAT" but it's been over a week with no communication.

I'm willing to be wrong, but only if this is common practice. Experiences please? FIATCares, anyone else?

Trunkout
09-16-2015, 07:23 PM
For those of you who had this issue and had it repaired, under warranty, by FIAT- did you get a rental car from the studio?

My local studio has approved my warranty claim through FIAT, but are refusing to provide me a rental car despite needing to have my car 2-3 days. Service manager says that because the repair is "cosmetic" and does not impact the mechanical function of the car, he cannot provide a loaner. I say, 1: I'm within my 12 month/12,000 warranty - purchased new in July 2015, 1800+/- miles 2: It's a manufacturing defect, and 3: This is my only source of transportation, so you need to provide a loaner. He is supposedly "checking with FIAT" but it's been over a week with no communication.

I'm willing to be wrong, but only if this is common practice. Experiences please? FIATCares, anyone else?

I've been offered a loaner "to take to lunch" because my OIL CHANGE is running late!
You got an uncaring dealership on your hands...

and on that note... What if you got in a wreck and it was "only cosmetic"? So no loaner until THAT is fixed? I know the body shop is different but still...

FiatCares
09-17-2015, 08:30 AM

Hi little_c,
Could you please PM me your VIN, contact info, and the name of your FIAT studio so that I can look into this for you?

little_c
09-17-2015, 01:38 PM
Hi little_c,
Could you please PM me your VIN, contact info, and the name of your FIAT studio so that I can look into this for you?

PM'd. Thanks Erica! :o

MX5
10-04-2015, 03:25 AM
Surely FIAT has thought of this, but from these pics it looks like the problem could be solved/prevented by just having a ring of foam/rubber around the backside of the badge, as found on most emblems on other cars (the 3M tape stuff).

Tweak
10-04-2015, 11:11 PM
Surely FIAT has thought of this, but from these pics it looks like the problem could be solved/prevented by just having a ring of foam/rubber around the backside of the badge, as found on most emblems on other cars (the 3M tape stuff).

Makes too much sense. :D

Simmonz
10-20-2015, 05:00 PM
Well its kind of depressing to see that this is an issue going back 3-4 years with no fix. I just talked to my Fiat Studio and they are going to look into it for me. I already have to take it up there because my passenger sideskirt is pulling away from the door so they have to fix that too. Small kinks in an otherwise good little car.

~Jake

OnTheFenceAbarth
06-30-2016, 08:05 AM
Paint was chipping above my front badge on my 2013 Bianco Abarth. Valenti Fiat in CT gladly took my car in (under warranty) to have it fixed. They sent it to Airport Road Auto Body and in 2 days my whole front bumper had been repainted. I was offered a loaner 500 pop free of charge while my car was in the shop and the quality of work from Airport Road Auto Body was top notch. To my surprise, the body shop even left a gift bag on the passenger seat of my car! Talk about a fantastic experience! Thank you Valenti Fiat and Airport Road Auto Body! :encouragement::rockon::burnout:

bryanintowson
06-30-2016, 08:10 AM
Make sure when you get your survey that you fill it out! I had family in the car business and those surveys from the manufacturer are really, really important.

OnTheFenceAbarth
06-30-2016, 08:45 AM
Make sure when you get your survey that you fill it out! I had family in the car business and those surveys from the manufacturer are really, really important.
Wellllll I'm the second owner of this baby Ferrari, so I don't believe I'll get a survey from Fiat. I have, however, submitted reviews of my Fiat Studio on various car sales sites as well as through Google Maps where I am a Local Guide. I also left the body shop a review, again on Google Maps. I've got many years of service experience, so I am rather critical of service and make sure to sing praises when they are due!

pr0d1gy9
08-03-2016, 02:58 PM
It looks like I have paint failure around the front emblem and on my passenger side quarter panel. Unfortunately I am the second owner of my 2012 Rosso Abarth (June 6th, 2016) so I will probably have to live with it since I've purchased the car from a private party.

http://i542.photobucket.com/albums/gg413/pr0d1gy9/2012%20Abarth/Damage/IMG_20160803_114500638_HDR.jpg

http://i542.photobucket.com/albums/gg413/pr0d1gy9/2012%20Abarth/Damage/IMG_20160803_115102488.jpg

nsmsam
08-12-2016, 01:17 AM
My 2013 also has the same problem.

Cassidy
09-05-2016, 11:26 PM
I had this exact same issue with my 2015. The dealership said the emblem was cut too sharp & cutting into the paint. Whatever the reason, they sent it into the body shop and they repainted the entire front bumper. Seems like a fairly common issue. They even gave me a rental car. Now if they'd do the same for my side fender flairs that the are coming loose that would be great...but they won't.

fierostetz
09-13-2016, 09:38 PM
wooo I made it all the way to 1000 miles before I noticed this :(
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23467&stc=1

pr0d1gy9
09-13-2016, 09:58 PM
wooo I made it all the way to 1000 miles before I noticed this :(
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23467&stc=1

I'm surprised that the plant still hasn't had quality control on this. It is getting ridiculous that it is still happening to new models.

mattjk
09-13-2016, 10:19 PM
2016 Nero Abarth with 265 miles. :-(

Should I notify the dealer now or wait until it get's worse?

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23470&stc=1

Southernroadrunner
09-13-2016, 10:25 PM

Think I would have them.note it somewhere or at least go show them. IMO

Fiat500USA
09-14-2016, 12:00 AM

It's always a good idea to note with the dealer any cosmetic issues as soon as possible. Preferably at delivery if it's there. As this is a known issue, they should be familiar with it , though.

For those picking up a new car, always carefully inspect your new car. Dings scratches and things like that are important to note before the car is "taillights down the road". Once the car leaves the dealership it can and probably will become a big issue. When I sold cars I went over every inch of the car before delivery by myself, and then with the customer so we could note any issue. Any problems were noted and we issued a "we owe you" in writing so there was no question down the road that the problem was there. Some places aren't so careful, but there is no reason that you can't be. Make a note on the bill of sale and have the manager sign it.

mattjk
09-14-2016, 12:16 AM
Think I would have them.note it somewhere or at least go show them. IMO
Thanks!

BTW, what is the fiat studio?

mattjk
09-14-2016, 12:21 AM
You are absolutely right.

I'm used to buying a new car that is flawless. I've never had issues like this before.

I've spent the last two weeks removing hard water spots from my paint and windows, trying to buff out 2 deep scratches, paid $120 to get two door dings removed, and $120 getting my alignment checked and buying the mopar rear shim kit, fixing the beat audio system... tweeter mounts affecting the sound, subwoofer wired out of phase, and I've only owned this car 2 weeks.

I told they dealer (DESERTFiat) about the issues, and they did not care one bit... they just tried to get me off the phone as fast as they could...
which is why I'll probably just leave the bumper as is, and just get it repainted at my choice of body shops (unless someone can recommend a GOOD dealership in the LA or OC area). I also want to get the holes for the license plate bracket filled.

It's always a good idea to note with the dealer any cosmetic issues as soon as possible. Preferably at delivery if it's there. As this is a known issue, they should be familiar with it , though.

For those picking up a new car, always carefully inspect your new car. Dings scratches and things like that are important to note before the car is "taillights down the road". Once the car leaves the dealership it can and probably will become a big issue. When I sold cars I went over every inch of the car before delivery by myself, and then with the customer so we could note any issue. Any problems were noted and we issued a "we owe you" in writing so there was no question down the road that the problem was there. Some places aren't so careful, but there is no reason that you can't be. Make a note on the bill of sale and have the manager sign it.

Fiat500USA
09-14-2016, 12:47 AM
I'm used to buying a new car that is flawless. I've never had issues like this before.

Sorry to hear you've had some issues.

I can't help thinking that you are a very lucky person that this is the first time you've had problems like this. I've been involved in thousands of new car deliveries (not Fiats) and I can say that, regrettably, it is common to have issues like this with a new car. It's a drag and disappointing, no doubt, but usually once the initial snags are ironed out folks go onto enjoying their cars. Best of luck with yours.

mattjk
09-14-2016, 01:22 AM
Thank you!

Don't get me wrong... the reason I'm not upset and I'm just taking care of the stuff myself, is that I LOVE the car. It's already my little baby, and I don't want anyone else touching it. haha

Fiat500USA
09-14-2016, 10:35 AM
That's a good point you make. Few people will take the same care you'd take on your own car. It's really tough to get a quality detail job up to the enthusiast's standards out of a typical dealership. The most you can hope for is the car isn't damaged by the prep people. I'd say if someone is really fussy, it is better to take delivery of the car without the detail guys touching it.

pr0d1gy9
09-14-2016, 10:50 AM
That's a good point you make. Few people will take the same care you'd take on your own car. It's really tough to get a quality detail job up to the enthusiast's standards out of a typical dealership. The most you can hope for is the car isn't damaged by the prep people. I'd say if someone is really fussy, it is better to take delivery of the car without the detail guys touching it.

My ex girlfriend and I went to a Honda dealership last year so she could get a new used car. In the lot it looked pretty good because they had the car detailed so there weren't to many swirls or deep scratches upon initial inspection. After she decided to buy it I told her not to let them wash it because they will absolutely, 100%, without fail, damage the paint. In her defense she got caught up in the transaction and forgot to tell them not to wash it. Lo and Behold when they 'prepped' the car for her it looked like they had took the wash mitt, dropped it on the ground a few times, then proceeded to 'wash/sand' the car. It was unbelievable how much damage they did to the paint in a single wash.

I have never EVER had a good experience with a dealer washing or cleaning a vehicle

Tweak
09-14-2016, 10:46 PM
My ex girlfriend and I went to a Honda dealership last year so she could get a new used car. In the lot it looked pretty good because they had the car detailed so there weren't to many swirls or deep scratches upon initial inspection. After she decided to buy it I told her not to let them wash it because they will absolutely, 100%, without fail, damage the paint. In her defense she got caught up in the transaction and forgot to tell them not to wash it. Lo and Behold when they 'prepped' the car for her it looked like they had took the wash mitt, dropped it on the ground a few times, then proceeded to 'wash/sand' the car. It was unbelievable how much damage they did to the paint in a single wash.

I have never EVER had a good experience with a dealer washing or cleaning a vehicle

I watched one of the largest car wash companies in my area drop a cloth while drying a car...in a rough paved area with a lot of loose rocks and dirt. I cringed thinking of what that hood looked like when they were finished. Also I have been told by people AT the dealer NOT to let the details near my car since they know how I feel about my car. I had to leave it at the dealer overnight today...they pulled it inside and locked it rather than leaving it outside which is normal practice. :)

Southernroadrunner
09-14-2016, 10:57 PM
I watched one of the largest car wash companies in my area drop a cloth while drying a car...in a rough paved area with a lot of loose rocks and dirt. I cringed thinking of what that hood looked like when they were finished. Also I have been told by people AT the dealer NOT to let the details near my car since they know how I feel about my car. I had to leave it at the dealer overnight today...they pulled it inside and locked it rather than leaving it outside which is normal practice. :)

What a brain cramp for sure. Doesn't amaze me in this day and age though!!Guess that's why I clean my own. Have to remember this post when I go by car washes here

Tweak
09-14-2016, 11:13 PM
What a brain cramp for sure. Doesn't amaze me in this day and age though!!Guess that's why I clean my own. Have to remember this post when I go by car washes here

Scary stuff my friend!

I find if you don't drive it as often you don't need to wash it as often...haha. The withdrawals kind of suck though. ;)

jeffleept
04-13-2017, 01:45 PM
What is the latest thing dealers are doing to fix this? Do they put a spacer between the emblem and the paint? Surely they do more than just respray it and reassemble back to how it was...