PDA

View Full Version : An update on Guido's fuel economy. (Pop 5 speed)

fltrplntman
09-22-2012, 09:36 AM
My wife and I had to do some family business yesterday. We had to drive a loop of over 200 miles of 2 lane, most of which was 55mph and about 15% of which was down to 35 mph.

The average for the whole trip...49.4 mpg.

Now mind you, ours is a 5 speed manual. I have applied some easy free things to help, but nothing extravagant.
5W20 synthetic oil
38 psi in the tires

But its the driver that makes the difference. You really have to modify the way you drive.
Shift before 2000 rpm
A lot of rolling to stops (sometimes up to a 1/4 mile. These little stinkers roll a long way even while still in 5th gear)
Use the Cruise.. Let the car think for itself. (Its really good at it)

Now.. WE had our 500 in the shop for a cluster change (clock issues), new strut and swaybar link (rattle in right front). We had to live with the loaner 500 Pop with an automatic.
On a good day.. We might hit 39 mpg. Might. And everyone says the automatics are almost the same fuel mileage.
I beg to differ.

I can't wait to see what the average for the whole tank will be. (Actual numbers)

msjulie33
09-22-2012, 08:06 PM
Now.. WE had our 500 in the shop for a cluster change (clock issues), new strut and swaybar link (rattle in right front). We had to live with the loaner 500 Pop with an automatic.
On a good day.. We might hit 39 mpg. Might. And everyone says the automatics are almost the same fuel mileage.
I beg to differ.

My Pop 5 speed is averaging about 36mpg in mixed (some quite crummy) driving. The rental I have, an auto, is now showing about 27.5 - I'm driving so gently with the thing but it's just not in the same league and whomever had it before must have hammered it because this mileage is improved from when I got it...

madbyrd
10-20-2013, 08:07 PM
I have a Pop automatic and drive the two lanes daily to and from work. With cruise used most of the drive locked in at 57 mph, I get 46 mpg. After some town driving I have averaged over 40 mpg on 9 of my last 16 fill-ups and all are over 38 mpg. My lifetime average is 39.6 for the 38000 miles driven in 18 months. I definitely agree driving style is the primary effect on mpg.

HiFi Guy
10-27-2013, 09:19 AM
Synthetic oil is a good idea. 5W20 isn't, as Fiat specifies 5W30 for non turbo models.

I had my oil analyzed on my previous Sport. After 8k miles the oil was no longer a 5W30, it had sheared to 5W20.

If your 5W20 shears as well, you'll have some mighty thin oil in your crankcase.

tronnracintonn
01-05-2014, 01:59 PM
Ah yes, the high mileage drive. Thats a technique my dad uses too. It gives an unbelievable mileage. Good post.

FITITO
01-23-2014, 06:27 PM
new strut and swaybar link (rattle in right front).

Hello,

Could you perhaps tell me more about the rattle? I have a little bit of a clunking sound in the front right that is only present when driving over uneven surfaces. It does not do it all the time, but it does bother me. I had the steering column link changed a while ago and that did not change anything.

Any help on this would be appreciated!

Steve

OH, my Fiat is a 5 speed. I have a K&N, inflate my tires on the high side, use Mobile 1 5W30. In the last 17,000 miles I have averaged 43.1 MPG. I have one highway trip where I drove over 85 MPH, only got 38 MPG from the tank, another leisurely mountain trip, got 50.1 MPG out of the whole tank (over 500 miles). I shift early and look far ahead when I drive. I usually get about 420 per tank and around 44 MPGs on a regular basis.

Tweak
01-23-2014, 10:20 PM
Hello,

Could you perhaps tell me more about the rattle? I have a little bit of a clunking sound in the front right that is only present when driving over uneven surfaces. It does not do it all the time, but it does bother me. I had the steering column link changed a while ago and that did not change anything.

Any help on this would be appreciated!

Steve

OH, my Fiat is a 5 speed. I have a K&N, inflate my tires on the high side, use Mobile 1 5W30. In the last 17,000 miles I have averaged 43.1 MPG. I have one highway trip where I drove over 85 MPH, only got 38 MPG from the tank, another leisurely mountain trip, got 50.1 MPG out of the whole tank (over 500 miles). I shift early and look far ahead when I drive. I usually get about 420 per tank and around 44 MPGs on a regular basis.

There are 3 things I know of that may be of some help until he can get back with you on this so I offer it in hopes it is useful information.

Intermediate Steering Shaft
Jounce Bumpers
Top Strut Mounts

Any of these create noises, clunks and such, maybe one of these are an issue you are having.

Doohickie
01-24-2014, 10:59 AM
I'm still early in the game, on my second tank. When I first figured out that the Trip button was on the right stalk, I was getting 28 mpg. That included my test drive and a bunch of New Car Playing Around. Once I figured out how to display the fuel economy in my cluster, I've left it up. By the end of the first tank I was up to 31 mpg in mixed driving. My commute is probably a third to a half half freeway/highway, and the rest local streets. This tank I'm up to 34.6 for the tank. I typically shift the 5-speed at about 2000-2500 rpm, but I'll leg it out occasionally to maneuver in traffic. I'm running in the Normal mode right now. I think I'll try another week or two there, then try switching over to Sport mode and see what it does.

FITITO
02-14-2014, 04:46 PM
Thank you!

I already had the intermediate steering shaft changed. Now they think it is the connectors of the front stabilizer bar. I will bring up the other two things to them when I go for service.

Thanks,

Steve

There are 3 things I know of that may be of some help until he can get back with you on this so I offer it in hopes it is useful information.

Intermediate Steering Shaft
Jounce Bumpers
Top Strut Mounts

Any of these create noises, clunks and such, maybe one of these are an issue you are having.

Tweak
02-14-2014, 07:21 PM
Thank you!

I already had the intermediate steering shaft changed. Now they think it is the connectors of the front stabilizer bar. I will bring up the other two things to them when I go for service.

Thanks,

Steve

You're welcome Steve, hope the get you sorted quickly so you can get back to enjoying the car!