PDA

View Full Version : High Beam Noise/Whistle noise

shabba
09-20-2012, 08:41 AM
Ok, I admit, this is an odd one. When I turn the high beam on, there is a noise that sounds as if it is coming from underneath the car. Anytime I flick the high beam on, moving or sitting still, it sounds like a thump. I can feel it in the floorboards and it is clearly audible as my wife hears it too. Now I know relays can make a clicking sound when working, but this is something completely different. It's very strange. Any ideas?

The other odd sound I get is a whistle sound from the engine bay when I am driving along at low speeds. I suppose I hear the noise because it's only when I am driving at lower speeds (under 40) and there is nothing else to drown it out. It's a constane whistle sound. My wife says it sounds like a chain dragging, but to me, it's a whistle. It's only present when the throttle is open. Take my foot off the pedal and it goes away. I'm not losing boost, the car runs fine. Suggestions?

SeaDawg
09-20-2012, 09:16 AM
Ok, I admit, this is an odd one. When I turn the high beam on, there is a noise that sounds as if it is coming from underneath the car. Anytime I flick the high beam on, moving or sitting still, it sounds like a thump. I can feel it in the floorboards and it is clearly audible as my wife hears it too. Now I know relays can make a clicking sound when working, but this is something completely different. It's very strange. Any ideas?

Don't have an Abarth so I'll take the easy one. The noise you hear is a mechanical shutter that cuts off the top of the beam on the projector headlamps to make the 'low beam' moving out of the way so the full 'high beam' can pass thru, it moves back in position when you shift to 'low beam' or cycles when you 'flash' your lights at an oncoming driver.

The projector headlamps do NOT have two bulbs or filaments. It is a single filament halogen bulb and the mechanical shutter provides the difference in low and high beam light output.

shabba
09-20-2012, 10:29 AM
Don't have an Abarth so I'll take the easy one. The noise you hear is a mechanical shutter that cuts off the top of the beam on the projector headlamps to make the 'low beam' moving out of the way so the full 'high beam' can pass thru, it moves back in position when you shift to 'low beam' or cycles when you 'flash' your lights at an oncoming driver.

The projector headlamps do NOT have two bulbs or filaments. It is a single filament halogen bulb and the mechanical shutter provides the difference in low and high beam light output.

Very good. Thank you! That explains that noise so I can rest easy. Now the other one....

EugeneS
09-20-2012, 01:00 PM
Very good. Thank you! That explains that noise so I can rest easy. Now the other one....

I think that's the sound of turbo, I also hear it especially when i drive inside a parking garage

Fiat500USA
09-20-2012, 01:09 PM
Mine does the same. A constant whistle at steady throttle. Disappears on lift off. I wondered if others did the same. I never really noticed it in the pre-production cars I've driven, then again, I was beating on them pretty hard! biggrin

shabba
09-20-2012, 01:27 PM
Wow. So I'm not the only one eh? I'll ask when I go in for service next.

satellite
09-21-2012, 01:26 AM
SeaDawg was correct on the first question. I actually had to watch someone initiate the high beams from the front so I could figure out what it was...haha.

The second question is 100% the turbo sound/whistle. When I first started hearing it I fell in love... People PAY MONEY to get that sound guys, either by little gimmicky piece of metal or different tubing in the intake system. My NSRT-4 had it as well, but it was much less pronounced. It also had a nice whine at full throttle.

As a test try it in both Normal and Sport mode. You should hear it MUCH MORE pronounced in Sport mode during partial throttle because of the updated throttle/turbo response.

Example of people paying for it ...you can't make this stuff up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI9eIgvjCHo