PDA

View Full Version : Auto Temperature Control

Thomas
09-18-2012, 10:18 PM
When I put the climate control on auto, and turn the temperature control up (was colder here today), the fan speed lowers to almost nothing and the air no longer flows through the front vents, only via the floor vents. Can someone shed light on this. I thought that with the auto on, all you had to do was select the temperature, and the system would react accordingly.

Fiat500USA
09-19-2012, 12:49 AM
Once the temp you select matches the inside temp, the fan will gradually fade out. When the inside temp changes, the system will react by cooling or heating the air automatically and adjusting the fan speed as necessary to effect the quickest possible change. Personally, I leave the setting on, say 70 and if the fan is too noisy, I'll kick the temp up a degree or two until the fan auto adjust to a lower speed.

Pinecone
09-19-2012, 01:16 AM
The auto controls also direct heated air to the floor vents, as hot air rises, so introduce it low. And chilled air is directed to the dash vents, as cool air settles, so introduce it up high.

Also, some auto temp controls leave the fan low if you are asking for heat and the engine is not yet warmed up, so they don't blow cold air on your feet. Once the temp comes up and you are getting some heat, the fan will increase speed. Not sure if the Fiat works this way, as I have not had the need for heat yet.

ahh-bert
09-19-2012, 01:24 AM
I need to take a drive that's long enough for me to notice how this system is working. For most of my trips so far the ac is blowing full blast and I've got the sunroof open, trying to get the temp down into the 80's. Maybe with some cooler weather it will make more sense. I love that it goes on automatically, though. I hadn't even considered that it wouldn't full blast heat until there was some heat. My boyfriend is always telling me to not blast the heater until the car gets warm, but I do it anyway! ;)

FiatGusto
09-19-2012, 01:40 PM
Of all the features my Sport came with, my wife and I appreciate the auto air as the best. We leave ours on 70+ or minus a degree all the time.
Love it!

SeaDawg
09-19-2012, 02:21 PM
Of all the features my Sport came with, my wife and I appreciate the auto air as the best. We leave ours on 70+ or minus a degree all the time.Love it! +1 My year 'round setting is 75 degrees. The only change I make is usually shut it off completely in the late fall/winter here in Florida and enjoy the fuel savings and the sounds/smells of the outside world with the windows down and the sunroof open.

Pinecone
09-20-2012, 03:47 AM
To rapidly cool down the car when first starting. Open the windows or sunroof a few inches only. You just want to let the hot air out.

Run the AC full speed, but in flow through mode (NOT recirculation). You want to push out the hot air.

After a couple of minutes, close the windows/sunroof, and switch the AC to recirculation. Once it is a bit cooler, turn the fan down a bit. High fan has the air moving past the cooling coil so fast, the air doesn't get as cooled down.