PDA

View Full Version : Flashed All The Time

Abarth Five O
09-16-2012, 04:29 PM
I frequently get flashed by other drivers with my normal headlights on. My front end is also lowered by approx. 70mm. What's up with that? The stock halogen headlamps are on the brighter side similar to HIDs, but have other members experienced this problem and lowered their headlamp projections? I am reluctant to do that to appease a few and compromise my visibility.

MrFiat
09-16-2012, 06:05 PM
I frequently get flashed by other drivers with my normal headlights on. My front end is also lowered by approx. 70mm. What's up with that? The stock halogen headlamps are on the brighter side similar to HIDs, but have other members experienced this problem and lowered their headlamp projections? I am reluctant to do that to appease a few and compromise my visibility.

I have both a 2012 Sport and a 2012 Abarth and do my share of night driving. The only time I've been "flashed" has been to warn me that Five-Oh was lurking up ahead. :sneakiness:

[ OMG !! Didja get a look at the heap of new smileys on the board? ]

Fiat500USA
09-16-2012, 06:43 PM

Our lights use the latest halogen technology so they are quite bright. Ocasionally, I'll get flashed, but as long as they are adjusted correctly, I figure they pass DOT and they are legal.

I have both a 2012 Sport and a 2012 Abarth and do my share of night driving. The only time I've been "flashed" has been to warn me that Five-Oh was lurking up ahead. :sneakiness:

Yep, uploaded new ones for y'all! beerchug

Abarth Five O
09-16-2012, 07:22 PM

Lol: beerchug ; I'll drink to that! :-)

Abarth Five O
09-16-2012, 07:26 PM
Our lights use the latest halogen technology so they are quite bright. Ocasionally, I'll get flashed, but as long as they are adjusted correctly, I figure they pass DOT and they are legal. /QUOTE]

Any info on how to adjust the headlamps?

Love the new smileys!!!

Pinecone
09-17-2012, 12:44 AM
I have gotten flashed a couple of times.

When I go in to have the PCM reflash done, I will have them check the aim.

ahh-bert
09-17-2012, 01:03 AM
Happened to me the other night. I'll be checking to see if anything needs to be done.

BigHoss
09-17-2012, 02:56 AM
I had some one flash me the other night from the other side of the intersection. I had my fogs on to though. Turned off the fogs and the flashed me one last time (I guess as a thank you) and that was it. I have to say the fogs are definitely bright!

cmj912
09-17-2012, 06:41 PM
This has been mentioned multiple times. It seems somewhat common with the 500 - lowered, Abarth, Pop, Sport, whatever...

People will flash their high beams at me almost every single time I am out at night. I checked the aim in a parking garage and it is not off. They are just exceptionally bright lamps I guess and I, for one, really like how they illuminate without even being HID/xenon etc...

Abarth Five O
09-17-2012, 11:07 PM
Thank you all for the feedback! For now, I guess I'll just live with all the flashes.:cussing:

BigHoss
09-18-2012, 02:46 AM
Well personally I'd rather get flashed then not be able to see lol

ahh-bert
09-19-2012, 01:29 AM
Seriously! With all the wildlife around here, you never know who or what's going to jump in front of you. I've barely missed several deer, and the other night a wild boar! Can you imagine hitting a freaking boar??? Didn't they hear me coming, for goodness sake? I'm using my high beams pretty much for all night driving since I'm usually the only car on the road and I feel like I have those lights that they use to work on the highway at night in front of my car. I used the fog lights just once in fog, but they were magnificent. We don't have any street lights here in this rural community and apparently the deer and the boars don't see me. That reminds me, after the tinting, my second "mod" should be deer whistles. Note to self...

Abarth Five O
09-19-2012, 01:49 AM
Unfortunately, these city folks where I live are light sensitive.coolgleam

nojeebs
09-19-2012, 12:27 PM
My friend's pop model came calibrated wrong and it was pretty much blinding everyone. He adjusted it and now problem solved.

I adjusted my Abarth's headlights after I installed an HID kit. I was getting flashed quite often when I initially installed them. Lowered the beam to where it's good for me and other drivers. I don't want to be one of those people that have no regard for other's on the road.

Abarth Five O
09-19-2012, 01:06 PM
My friend's pop model came calibrated wrong and it was pretty much blinding everyone. He adjusted it and now problem solved.

I adjusted my Abarth's headlights after I installed an HID kit. I was getting flashed quite often when I initially installed them. Lowered the beam to where it's good for me and other drivers. I don't want to be one of those people that have no regard for other's on the road.

Can you share DIY on how to adjust the headlamps for members who want to?

MrFiat
09-19-2012, 01:15 PM

Awesome Chris, You're da Man! :clap:

SeaDawg
09-19-2012, 02:31 PM
Can you share DIY on how to adjust the headlamps for members who want to?Don't have the exact measurements/distances etc., BUT the adjustment, which is only up/down is via the white nylon looking screw on top of the headlight assemblies, on each side, that you can see with the hood open.

Abarth Five O
09-19-2012, 02:53 PM
Don't have the exact measurements/distances etc., BUT the adjustment, which is only up/down is via the white nylon looking screw on top of the headlight assemblies, on each side, that you can see with the hood open.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Prima148
09-21-2012, 03:21 PM
No boar up here in the Northeast, but turn your fog lights on on a parkway and you soon discover you're driving through a Safari at times. Don't drive without them in certain spots (and I'm not getting flashed).

Crossfirecat
09-23-2012, 12:08 PM
It's a 6mm Allen wrench. You can also use a Phillips screw driver as the adjustment screw is set up for both. I prefer the Allen wrench as it fits better and there is less chance of stripping or rounding out the inside of the screw. Just be careful and turn it slowly. If if feels like its binding or getting harder to turn STOP! You don't want break or strip anything. Because you'll probably have to replace the whole headlamp assembly in order to fix it.

Corrnaus
09-23-2012, 03:23 PM
If I am driving on a country road at night 7 out of 10 drivers will flash me.. Sometimes ill be behind a car and someone will still flash me, thinking that I am the ass driving will my high beams on. Got flashed while I was driving in the city at night also. Even cars that see me turn off my highs , will still flash me... shuts them right up when I show them exactly what high beams really are. So common that when a car is approaching , ill have my finger ready to flash them back..Now i have no clue if a cop is hiding or just someone flashing me.. Think its time for an adjustment

Abarth Five O
09-23-2012, 06:47 PM
It's a 6mm Allen wrench. You can also use a Phillips screw driver as the adjustment screw is set up for both. I prefer the Allen wrench as it fits better and there is less chance of stripping or rounding out the inside of the screw. Just be careful and turn it slowly. If if feels like its binding or getting harder to turn STOP! You don't want break or strip anything. Because you'll probably have to replace the whole headlamp assembly in order to fix it.

Better to have the dealer do the adjustment the next time you're in for servicing. The adjustment should be covered under warranty. That way if the tech breaks the screw everything including a new headlamp would be covered under warranty.

doozer
09-23-2012, 07:33 PM
I was just going to create this exact thread. I'm getting flashed incessantly. I'm glad to hear I'm not alone. So either all of us have wrongly aimed headlights, or... my other theory: I've noticed this occasionally from other small cars. As we approach other vehicles, our short wheelbase car is tilting up and down as we go over bumps and seams in the pavement. As the car rocks up and down, our lights appear to be flashing at other cars.

I guess I'll have the dealer look at it next time I'm in, but I don't want to have to start flashing people back just to prove I'm not driving around with high beams on.

Abarth Five O
09-23-2012, 08:43 PM
I was just going to create this exact thread. I'm getting flashed incessantly. I'm glad to hear I'm not alone. So either all of us have wrongly aimed headlights, or... my other theory: I've noticed this occasionally from other small cars. As we approach other vehicles, our short wheelbase car is tilting up and down as we go over bumps and seams in the pavement. As the car rocks up and down, our lights appear to be flashing at other cars.

I guess I'll have the dealer look at it next time I'm in, but I don't want to have to start flashing people back just to prove I'm not driving around with high beams on.

Your theory could be right. I'm not getting flashed as much but if it starts bugging me I'll get the dealer to adjust it.

cmj912
09-24-2012, 09:30 AM
My studio has told me (a bit indignantly) that my headlights are not misaimed.

My situation is identical to Corrnaus' in that it is very rare for me to be out at night without at least one person flashing their lights to me.

Crossfirecat
09-24-2012, 10:11 AM
I reset mine by using one of the loading docks at work last night. We measured 25 feet from the wall to the front bumper. Then measured from the ground to the center of the projector lense in the headlight. Taking that measurement and transferring it to the wall we found my headlamps were aimed slightly and I mean very slightly above the line. I adjusted the headlights downward by one full turn of the screw. This put the center of the beam a a few inches below the original marks. Drove home at 5am and was not flashed once! Plenty of light on the road. High beams used to just throw more light in the air,now they actually put more light on the road. I'm going to adjust them up just a bit each day to fine tune them or I start getting flashed again and then I'll set them back down a bit.
Obviously if you're lowered(springs),you'll need to adjust yours down lower as you no longer have the jack rabbit effect in the rear.

*Do this at your own risk of course! Blinding people on the road is bad but, adjusting your headlamps too low is dangerous as well. Use common sense. Be safe!

Abarth Five O
09-24-2012, 01:31 PM
I reset mine by using one of the loading docks at work last night. We measured 25 feet from the wall to the front bumper. Then measured from the ground to the center of the projector lense in the headlight. Taking that measurement and transferring it to the wall we found my headlamps were aimed slightly and I mean very slightly above the line. I adjusted the headlights downward by one full turn of the screw. This put the center of the beam a a few inches below the original marks. Drove home at 5am and was not flashed once! Plenty of light on the road. High beams used to just throw more light in the air,now they actually put more light on the road. I'm going to adjust them up just a bit each day to fine tune them or I start getting flashed again and then I'll set them back down a bit.
Obviously if you're lowered(springs),you'll need to adjust yours down lower as you no longer have the jack rabbit effect in the rear.

*Do this at your own risk of course! Blinding people on the road is bad but, adjusting your headlamps too low is dangerous as well. Use common sense. Be safe!

Thanks for the feedback for consideration before adjusting the headlamps.

Giallo Edizione
09-24-2012, 01:39 PM
I taped a height mark on my garage door based on the projector beams of my other two cars ( Miata and Prius) and found I needed to adjust the FIAT down some. No more braniac drivers blinding me for punishment and I can see just fine.

FiatPhil
09-24-2012, 03:50 PM
I got flashed at by a woman when I was downtown yesterday.

She pulled down her tube top and showed me her headlights. They appeared to be aimed a little high.

I nearly ran over the curb.

Alberta-Fiat
11-06-2012, 12:55 PM
Turn the adjusting screw clockwisw to lower beam.
I was getting flashed all the time, turned the screw one turn, no more being flashed and lights still shine just as far.