PDA

View Full Version : Diy spring install (500 & abarth)

FTY
09-11-2012, 12:03 AM
SPRING INSTALL WRITE-UP

Quick write-up Since I took some pictures the second time around.

TOOLS NEEDED:

-19mm Open Socket Wrench
-18mm Open Socket Wrench
-17mm Deep Socket
-16mm Deep Socket
-15mm Socket/Wrench
-13mm Socket
-Wratchet I used both 3/4 and 1/2 In
-5mm Allen Key
-6mm Allen Key(ABARTH ONLY)
-Small Flat Tip ScrewDriver
-Floor Jack/Lift :)
-2X Jack Stands

Difficulty Rating 2/5 1-Changing your oil:black_eyed:............5-Engine Rebuild w/ Factory Spec Tolerances

Install Time 1.5-3.5hrs 3.5hrs(lots of breaks) (1.5Hrs on a Lift)

IMAGE 1

http://www.eurocompulsion.net/SpringInstall1.jpg

1.Open Hood
2.Remove Rubber caps(on wipers) with flat-tip ScrewDriver
3.Use 13mm Socket and remove bolt from Windshield Wiper(after bolt is removed push down on wiper arm and wiggle, it will pop off)
4.Remove Rubber seal Along Cowl
5.Remove 3 Plastic push-ins on Cowl(use small flat-tip Screw Driver)
6.Remove Cowl, lift up towards windshield (two clips under windshield, be careful)
7.Pop off Plastic strut-top covers
8.Use 5mm(6mm on Abarth) and 19mm Closed ended wrench and break nut on top of strut, remove nut and rubber bushing(mark placement)
9.Use 5mm(6mm on Abarth) and 18mm Closed ended wrench and break nut on top of strut(loosen do not remove)

IMAGE 2

http://www.eurocompulsion.net/SpringInstall2.jpg

JACK-UP CAR REMOVE WHEEL
10.Use 16mm Socket/Wrench and 5mm Allen key Remove SwayBar Link
11.Use jack to lift rotor/hub assembly to relieve stress and slip out Swaybar Link, lower after removal of Link
12.Use 15mm Wrench 17mm Socket to Remove Lower (2) lower Strut Bolts and Nuts
13. Remove Pad sensor and Brake Line off of Strut Assembly
14.Wiggle out Strut Assembly
15.Remove 18mm nut on top of strut assembly(becareful)(Abarth no Spring compressor needed, unsure of 500)
16.Replace spring with Aftermarket spring, make sure Bushings are properly put back
17.RE-Install Strut assembly and follow reverse Instructions, Repeat other side of car
LOWER CAR

IMAGE 3

http://www.eurocompulsion.net/SpringInstall3.jpg

JACK UP ENTIRE REAR OF CAR USE TWO JACKSTANDS(TIRE REMOVAL NOT NECESSARY)
18.Slide Jack under Swaybar,let jack rest on swaybar, no pressure
19.Use 5pt socket or a 15mm socket and wrench(becareful, dont not strip)break lower strut bolt and remove
20.Repeat other side,lower jack that rearsway bar was resting on
21.Remove/re-install new Springs make sure bushing orientation is correct(cut bump-stops is necessary)
22.Raise jack you had resting on swaybar, re-install Lower strut bolts
LOWER REAR OF CAR

Thats it.....Enjoy!!

I do not know proper tq specs unfortunately at this time.

I did not require an alignment, but you may, if so put approx 200miles on car if alignment is close to allow springs to settle and then have car aligned.

http://www.eurocompulsion.net/SpringInstall4.jpg

Gateanos car is all done....(we did it together about 2hrs with 2 sets of hands and lots of breaks)

Drop is on Madness 2" Springs...looks and handles much better!!

AbarthCDN
09-11-2012, 12:41 AM
Thx for the great info, so we dont have to remove rear-sway bar for changing springs? And do recommand using glue-lock to tie on the screw-threads when we are putting the screws back?

FTY
09-11-2012, 12:53 AM
Thx for the great info, so we dont have to remove rear-sway bar for changing springs? And do recommand using glue-lock to tie on the screw-threads when we are putting the screws back?

No you dont need to remove anything but those two bolts, you could use a little loc-tite but there was none used from the factory.

msjulie33
09-11-2012, 12:55 AM

the axle beam drops when the shocks are unbolted (lower end) so have something to catch the beam - (my Pop didn't have the snazzy sway bar but otherwise looks the same)

I didn't use any glue or lock tight but i did give them a good tightening...

FTY - nice instructions and good pics

bannman1
05-17-2013, 11:52 AM
the axle beam drops when the shocks are unbolted (lower end) so have something to catch the beam - (my Pop didn't have the snazzy sway bar but otherwise looks the same)

I didn't use any glue or lock tight but i did give them a good tightening...

FTY - nice instructions and good pics

Did you have to compress your front srings on your Pop

stubtail
05-17-2013, 02:03 PM
I didn't have to on my T. The 1st one I attached a bungie cord like a mini leash, just in case. Didn't even bother on #2. Take it slow and it pops off a little when it is time.

F1AT
06-05-2013, 10:17 AM
Thank you for the post, very useful for many I'd bet.
Will be referring to your pictures I bet when installing my coilovers.

Rowtarded
07-30-2013, 12:16 AM
Did you re use the black rubber spacers that came on the factory rear springs?

Tweak
07-30-2013, 06:20 PM

Welcome to the forum.

Most if not all reuse the OEM rubber.

trevc
07-30-2013, 07:03 PM
Depends what you are putting in.
Most all of the lowering springs require you to reuse the upper and lower isolators but if you are putting in Coilovers you generally only reuse the bottom isolator.

Abarth Phreak
08-24-2013, 07:26 PM
Thanks Chris! Got the springs installed today. Still wish someone did it for me as I posted in the classified section...LOL

Next, gotta get the torsion bar in place.

NORCAL SS
08-30-2013, 12:22 AM
ive done 13 fiat 500s so far have another 3 lined up this weekend. Once you do 2 or 3 of them you get the hang of it lol

Abarth Phreak
08-30-2013, 11:23 PM
ive done 13 fiat 500s so far have another 3 lined up this weekend. Once you do 2 or 3 of them you get the hang of it lol

Very true, now knowing what I do, I could do it in less than 1.5 hours on jacks. It was a bear the first time understanding the stand and lift placements. I think it took 2.5 hours the first time with quite a few interruptions.

popcommuter
09-11-2013, 07:01 PM
Has anyone installed Abarth springs on a Pop?

Tweak
09-11-2013, 09:56 PM

msjulie (http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/member.php?299-msjulie33) and she loves it! (Might be a Sport though...not 100% sure).

msjulie33
09-12-2013, 01:51 AM
msjulie (http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/member.php?299-msjulie33) and she loves it! (Might be a Sport though...not 100% sure).

Dot is a Pop though she has sport seats and rims, and of course the Abarth bits.. Major improvement in my opinion, and then the rear bar was the cherry on the top :)

Tweak
09-12-2013, 09:55 AM
Dot is a Pop though she has sport seats and rims, and of course the Abarth bits.. Major improvement in my opinion, and then the rear bar was the cherry on the top :)

Thanks, I was pretty much sure but then I noticed the wheels in your avatar and I was thinking maybe I have been wrong all along thinking it was a Pop. :D

rnddude
10-28-2013, 10:08 AM

I did it on a 500e....

Dreamcar
04-11-2014, 10:45 AM
Hey everyone,

I am actually going to be tackling this task next Wednesday/Thursday. I ordered the Neuf-Springs. Keep in mind I am not too mechanically inclined but I can figure things out. The only thing that worries me is torque specs, I can't find them anywhere. Another thing I noticed, the cowl has an opening where I can fit my open-end ratchet through and over the mounting nut. I know removing the cowl increases work space but the less things I remove the less chances for anything to break. I'm also excited that no spring compressor is needed, as it's one of the only tools I do not have access to. Will keep everyone posted and post before/after pictures.