PDA

View Full Version : Torque wiggle in shifter?

fierce cucumber
09-10-2012, 06:34 PM
Just wondering if this is normal or anyone else has seen this:

I can visibly move my shifter by putting my foot on and off of the accelerator. It will happen in all gears although it is most noticeable in the lower gears and at higher revs. I do not remember feeling/seeing this when I test drove an Abarth. The car I drove is not the one I bought however as mine was on the showroom floor. I previously owned a Honda S2000 and have driven several other manual transmission vehicles with a lot more power and I have never seen the shifter physically move when you press the accelerator. The shifter in my Abarth wiggles enough to see it visibly from the back seat as my 4 year old was kind enough to offer his unsolicited input from his view in the rear seat. I would estimate the movement to be about a quarter of an inch.

paook
09-10-2012, 08:55 PM
I noticed this as well in my Abarth, when I accelerate with gusto. It's either most prominent in 3rd & 4th or I just happen to be glancing down only when in those gears.

msjulie33
09-10-2012, 09:42 PM
Isn't this just normal engine-tranny movement being telegraphed through the shift linkage? My little Pop doesn't have that much grunt but I'll have to check it out to see if has any wiggle going on...

Fiat500USA
09-10-2012, 11:48 PM
This is normal. Every car I have driven has done this so I wouldn't worry about it.

ahh-bert
09-11-2012, 02:31 AM
Bertie does this - mostly when I step on it. Rhonda the Honda also did this. I didn't think anything of it. Thought it actually feels kinda cool when you stomp on it and the shifter moves a little in your relaxed hand.

jguerdat
09-11-2012, 08:08 AM
I previously owned a Honda S2000 and have driven several other manual transmission vehicles with a lot more power and I have never seen the shifter physically move when you press the accelerator.

Asay from my Abarth so I can't confirm but the shifter never moved on your S2000? Mine sure does and always has since it's directly connected to the transmission instead of being bolted to the body and cables allowing the powertrain to move without moving the shifter. Any car with a direct-mount shifter will move as long as there's flexible motor mounts.

Jjm4life
09-11-2012, 04:13 PM
They all do it. Stiffer motor mounts and shifter bushings should clear this up. I'd be interested to know if the short shifter kits move around as much

fierce cucumber
09-11-2012, 08:48 PM
I'm relieved to know that it isn't an issue. My Honda S2000 shifter never budged at all. Incidentally, even though my shifter moves all over the place I don't have an ounce of tourque steer in the wheel.

deathshead
09-11-2012, 09:37 PM
The stock motor mounts are super soft in these cars, or atleast the Abarth I test drove did.

When I got on it hard i could feel the motor flopping all over, Even made a huge BANG! too on the hard 2-3 shift.

paook
09-11-2012, 09:47 PM
The car I sold to get my Abarth was a 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid. It's shifter didn't wiggle at all, then again...it had 90? horsepower. I actually bought that car because it had a stick - the last year they made a Hybrid with a stick.

Fiat500USA
09-12-2012, 12:46 AM
The stock motor mounts are super soft in these cars, or atleast the Abarth I test drove did.

When I got on it hard i could feel the motor flopping all over, Even made a huge BANG! too on the hard 2-3 shift.

I've pounded these cars on the dragstrip (speed shift first to second - no let up on gas) and track and never felt that. Maybe it was that Demo?

Pinecone
09-12-2012, 10:58 AM
The bang was probably the exhaust bang you can get out of the car.

hownowcb
09-12-2012, 11:25 AM
I'll never forget observing the floor shift (a wand, slightly over two feet long, protruding from the flat front floorboard) of a 1969 Fiat 128 sedan, the very first front-wheel-drive car I ever piloted, waving around in a four inch arc, like an elephant's trunk, at wide open throttle! That, and about probably a 5 swing in the steering wheel angle. Things were pretty "loose" in those days.

Still, were it not for the isolation bushings in motor and transmission mounts (very high tech these days) the complaints from the Noise, Vibration & Harshness (NVH) would be off the charts! Thankfully, auto makers invest millions of dollars into that kind of research today. Nearly non-existent torque steer in the current Abarth is one such result, by way of example.

deathshead
09-12-2012, 08:01 PM
I've pounded these cars on the dragstrip (speed shift first to second - no let up on gas) and track and never felt that. Maybe it was that Demo?

It could of been just that demo. it was the only one I drove so far.

deathshead
09-12-2012, 08:09 PM
The bang was probably the exhaust bang you can get out of the car.

Hi Pinecone. it was definitely something smacking the firewall or similar. It surprised the heck out of me!.

I think it was partly due to the fact that My current daily driver is an SRT-4 with all solid motor and transmission mounts, delrin shifter bushings.
combined with a very heavy clutch. When shifting hard I get zero motor-trans movement at all, just the tires break loose.

The Abarth is going to take a while to get used to thats for sure.