PDA

View Full Version : Winter wheels & tires

Abarth Russo
09-01-2012, 10:18 AM
Has any one bought or plan on buying winter wheels & tires set for the Abarth? What size?

09-01-2012, 11:09 AM
I went down to 16s and got Ciao Vernazza wheels in graphite grey combined with Pirelli snow control tires 195/45/16, tpms, new lug nuts,mounted, balancing and delivered to Canada all in for $1500 for TireRack. Ive had these tires before and they are superb in our deep Barrie ON snow. Im in work now but I have pictures of the car with them on at home, ill try and post them as soon as I can!

Crazy Otto
09-01-2012, 03:21 PM
Ive noted in prior posts that bridgestone makes the blizzak ws60 in 205/40-17. Id just mount these on stoc rims and be done. No need for dedicated rim/ tire combo. The tread width on the tire is 7.3inches, about .5 narrower that the stock pirelli p0 neros. Take the money saved on rims nad get yourself a MM box!

jguerdat
09-01-2012, 03:45 PM
If they didn't ding the wheel with tire replacement/balancing, I would do this. I switch tires on my S2000 for the winter (I just use all-seasons, PZero Nero M+S ftw!) so this won't make any difference. Wheels are a one-time purchase...

Abarth Russo
09-01-2012, 04:39 PM
That's what I was thinking but for a lot less if possible.
I went down to 16s and got Ciao Vernazza wheels in graphite grey combined with Pirelli snow control tires 195/45/16, tpms, new lug nuts,mounted, balancing and delivered to Canada all in for $1500 for TireRack. Ive had these tires before and they are superb in our deep Barrie ON snow. Im in work now but I have pictures of the car with them on at home, ill try and post them as soon as I can!

Rick Hunter
09-02-2012, 01:00 AM
I specifically optioned my Abarth with OEM 16's so that I could use them as winters. Then I bought a nice set of 17's for the rest of the 3 seasons.

Pinecone
09-02-2012, 07:29 AM
I looked at both ways, and went with factory 17's and finding a set of take off 16's.

The package I was looking at from Tire Rack would have been just over $2000. I paid $1000 for the 17 upgrade, and $900 for the set of take off 16s, with not many miles.

Abarth Russo
09-02-2012, 08:59 AM
I looked at both ways, and went with factory 17's and finding a set of take off 16's.

The package I was looking at from Tire Rack would have been just over $2000. I paid $1000 for the 17 upgrade, and $900 for the set of take off 16s, with not many miles.
That's what I was thinking about doing. There just aren't that many stock Abarth 16" wheels out there right now and it seems like everybody has the same idea.

09-02-2012, 10:11 AM
I figured Id end up paying over the odds for the used wheels, and can only see the price of them rising higher, plus if I put them on the car in winter everyone will think I only ordered the car with the 16s :snowman:

Heck, if I couldve done it, I would have got steel rims for winter!!!

sjmst
09-02-2012, 10:52 AM
I'm looking to buy a set of winter wheels. I was ready to but a set of 16" sport wheels until repairs on my Jeep blew my budget. Will be ready to buy again in a week or two. At this point thinking the 16" sport wheels or 16" abarth wheels if I can still find a good deal.

09-02-2012, 12:35 PM
I'm looking to buy a set of winter wheels. I was ready to but a set of 16" sport wheels until repairs on my Jeep blew my budget. Will be ready to buy again in a week or two. At this point thinking the 16" sport wheels or 16" abarth wheels if I can still find a good deal.

If youve got an Abarth, the Sport wheels wont fit.

Abarth Russo
09-02-2012, 02:42 PM
If youve got an Abarth, the Sport wheels wont fit.
Are you sure? Because I was considering buying those too.

09-02-2012, 03:06 PM
Are you sure? Because I was considering buying those too.

Certain its been tried... Front Abarth brakes too big and without rear spacers they foul the sway bar!

Abarth Russo
09-02-2012, 03:09 PM
Certain its been tried... Front Abarth brakes too big and without rear spacers they foul the sway bar!

Well, then I guess Abarth 16" it is.
Or, a set of aftermarket wheels.

sjmst
09-02-2012, 06:22 PM

Oh, wow, a vendor said they test fitted on the Abarth and they fit!:concern:

jguerdat
09-03-2012, 08:53 AM
Not sure what to believe without a physical test fit - Tirerack has a 15" winter package supposedly for the Abarth:

http://www.tirerack.com/snow/WinterPackageMain.jsp?autoMake=Fiat&autoModel=500+Abarth&autoYear=2012&autoModClar=

09-03-2012, 09:28 AM
Not sure what to believe without a physical test fit - Tirerack has a 15" winter package supposedly for the Abarth:

http://www.tirerack.com/snow/WinterPackageMain.jsp?autoMake=Fiat&autoModel=500+Abarth&autoYear=2012&autoModClar=

Try building a 15" package,.. Certain itll say none available!

GoFiatGo!
09-03-2012, 02:17 PM
Do y'all think going from a 195/45 to a 195/50 will really mess with the traction control or ABS? It is a 3.26% (19mm) difference but I would really like to get some Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7's on my little Abarth for this winter. I don't think there is any other winter tire better than the Nokians and the closest I can get with those are 195/50/16.

09-03-2012, 02:33 PM
Do y'all think going from a 195/45 to a 195/50 will really mess with the traction control or ABS? It is a 3.26% (19mm) difference but I would really like to get some Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7's on my little Abarth for this winter. I don't think there is any other winter tire better than the Nokians and the closest I can get with those are 195/50/16.

Sure theyd work but expected the difference to be clOser to 10mm

jguerdat
09-03-2012, 03:59 PM
Try building a 15" package,.. Certain itll say none available!

I followed the whole process except for actually ordering. Looks like a phone call would be appropriate.

09-03-2012, 04:20 PM
Try it, cant hurt! Just check 1. They do returns and 2. Its a 4x98 unless you trust wobble bolts

White Abarth
09-03-2012, 06:59 PM

What's your source for this info?

The new 500T has the same larger front brakes as the Abarth and according to Chris' article, the same suspension bits. The wheels on the 500T look to be exactly the same design as those on the 500 Sport except for the paint scheme. Both 500 Sport and std. Abarth rims are 16 x 6.5. The tire on both Sport and Abarth is exactly the same size and we already know the center caps are swappable between the two rims.

Now, the Pop and Lounge 15 x 6.0 rims might be a different story. The smaller diameter wheel will likely not clear the Abarth's brakes and suspension.

sjmst
09-03-2012, 09:09 PM
What's your source for this info?

The new 500T has the same larger front brakes as the Abarth and according to Chris' article, the same suspension bits. The wheels on the 500T look to be exactly the same design as those on the 500 Sport except for the paint scheme. Both 500 Sport and std. Abarth rims are 16 x 6.5. The tire on both Sport and Abarth is exactly the same size and we already know the center caps are swappable between the two rims.

Now, the Pop and Lounge 15 x 6.0 rims might be a different story. The smaller diameter wheel will likely not clear the Abarth's brakes and suspension.

Right. I'd like to reconcile one source telling me they test fit and they do fit, and someone else saying they don't.
And did you check out the specs for the 2013 Abarth? What do these wheels sound like?

WHEELS
Availability Standard on Fiat 500 Abarth
Type and material: Cast-aluminum, polished face with dark mineral gray painted
pockets
Size 16 x 6.5

AND

500 Turbos do without the Abarth’s trick electrically-actuated limited-slip diff, but they do gain the Abarth’s enlarged 11.1-inch front brake rotors.

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/abarth-lite-2013-fiat-500-turbo-officially-revealed-248629.html#ixzz25SXzMjbn

09-03-2012, 10:11 PM
Where did you see the 15 s on tire rack? Ive just searched for wheels for a 2012 abarth and was only allowed to select 16 or 17 inch?? Ill search here in the morning and find the post for you, someone tried Sport rims and couldnt get them on but said MAYBE with spacers due front brakes and rear sway bars. I guess really deep dish ones like Madness mini lite style would but cant see anything else! See if I can find it for you...

jguerdat
09-04-2012, 07:50 AM
I posted the link earlier but here it is again:

You need to select the winter packages to see this. I agree that just searching for wheels only gets you 16" and 17".

09-04-2012, 08:26 AM
Must be me, I tried the link clicked on 15" package and it just said none available! What make wheels did you see? Contact the manufacturer-they should have offsets etc to check compatibility.

09-04-2012, 01:38 PM
Here are the photos of my winter set after I tried them on, there is also a photo of stock along side for comparison.339833993400

sjmst
09-04-2012, 02:28 PM
They look great, Fidgell.

09-04-2012, 02:38 PM
They look great, Fidgell.

Cheers, im starting to think they actually look better than stock! They dont even look smaller to me, just glad they fit! First TireRack experience and very happy.

Rick Hunter
09-04-2012, 10:19 PM
Those Ciao's were on my shortlist... very nice looking wheels compared to the OEM 17"s.

Matches your grigio very well, fidgell.

Thomas
09-04-2012, 10:21 PM
Hey Fidgell, I think I am going to pick up the same combo as you got. Looks great! Did they deliver to your house, or did you have to pick them up? Any additional brokerage fees for the border!

Cheers, im starting to think they actually look better than stock! They dont even look smaller to me, just glad they fit! First TireRack experience and very happy.

09-05-2012, 07:13 AM
Hey Fidgell, I think I am going to pick up the same combo as you got. Looks great! Did they deliver to your house, or did you have to pick them up? Any additional brokerage fees for the border!

TireRack send them with all fees,handling and taxes prepaid. They get delivered to your door well packaged and not a penny to pay! They mount and balance them for free and i had the tpms put in too-basically ready to install. Despite fears posted here jacking was easy too. As for the the tires, ive used these pirellis for 8 years and they are truely incredible and VERY much recommended.

I still dont think these look like 16s do you? Side by side they look the same size as oem!

jguerdat
09-05-2012, 08:23 AM
Must be me, I tried the link clicked on 15" package and it just said none available! What make wheels did you see? Contact the manufacturer-they should have offsets etc to check compatibility.

Ah, I never tried actually selecting the 15" size. Sorry - that would have been more telling. We need to let them know the problem.

09-05-2012, 08:29 AM
Ah, I never tried actually selecting the 15" size. Sorry - that would have been more telling. We need to let them know the problem.

Ive looked around and the only 15s that I KNOW would fit are the minilites sold by Madness. Now when I say fit, i mean they bolt on-dont think even Madness road tested them! TireRack probably simply dont know the score with 15 s and the Abarth so they cross reference the regular 500 then reject when selected for our car?! Let us kbow if you get any to fit as you may not be alone on this. Have you asked Boris at Madness he would know!

sjmst
09-05-2012, 11:36 AM
I still dont think these look like 16s do you? Side by side they look the same size as oem!
They do. And as much as I like the standard sport wheels, they do look very small whereas these do not.

MADNESSMIKE
09-05-2012, 05:38 PM
Ive looked around and the only 15s that I KNOW would fit are the minilites sold by Madness. Now when I say fit, i mean they bolt on-dont think even Madness road tested them! TireRack probably simply dont know the score with 15 s and the Abarth so they cross reference the regular 500 then reject when selected for our car?! Let us kbow if you get any to fit as you may not be alone on this. Have you asked Boris at Madness he would know!

We did test the minilites in the store fitted them on an ABARTH and test the clearances of the wheel and the brake caliper and it fits perfect. If you have any questions on a particular wheel we carry and if it will fit let us know and we might already have the answer or we can test fit it as soon as possible and get the answer for you.