PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Windshield ...

Wolfie
08-27-2012, 09:37 PM
My best friend, named FIAT 500 was hit by a pebble, right in between the 2 wipers (wish it was right ON one of the wipers though...) at about 40 mph only.
I have to say that the glass is pretty weak!!

Takes 3 days to order in the glass - so, on Friday my FIAT goes to hospital for his first major surgery - hopefully my best friend comes home without any scars :distress:

bainbridgeny
08-27-2012, 09:56 PM
My best friend, named FIAT 500 was hit by a pebble, right in between the 2 wipers (wish it was right ON one of the wipers though...) at about 40 mph only.
I have to say that the glass is pretty weak!!

Same thing happened to me this past weekend. I now have a 15 in crack on the middle right of the windshield. Can't afford to replace so I'm forced to accept/live with it.

bryanintowson
08-28-2012, 09:27 AM
I remember reading on this forum a while back that the glass is also subject to scratching and gouging. I already have a bottle of de-icer washer fluid ready...

Sterling_Aug
08-28-2012, 09:43 AM
My traded in Toyota Prius got the windshield replaced under my comprehensive car insurance, then a few days later I watched in horror as ANOTHER pebble was tossed up by the truck in front of me hit the new windshield.

So far nothing has happened to my Fiat 500.

Pinecone
08-28-2012, 12:02 PM
These days, widshield glass is softer and less tough by design. It is being mandated as part of changes to better protect pedestrians. The idea being that if the pedestrain rolls over the hood and impacts the windshield, the softer windshield would do less damage to the pedestrian.

bryanintowson
08-28-2012, 01:51 PM
Ah the old days - when the main engineering concern for vehicles was the ability to hose off the dashboard after an accident.

Pinecone
08-28-2012, 03:26 PM
I see you are in Towson, we need to have a Baltimore Fiat gathering. I am up in Harford County.

Wolfie
08-28-2012, 09:16 PM
Takes 3 days to order in the glass - so, on Friday my FIAT goes to hospital for his first major surgery - hopefully my best friend comes home without any scars :distress:

Surgery for our FIAT is postponed to next Wednesday due to later arrival of new windshield - thing must be shipped from Michigan (to B.C. Canada) ... Hopefully it arrives in one piece though!!

Makes me wonder about FIAT's supply chain :rolleyes:

bryanintowson
08-29-2012, 10:38 PM
I see you are in Towson, we need to have a Baltimore Fiat gathering. I am up in Harford County.

Agreed!

Wolfie
09-06-2012, 04:38 PM
Surgery for our FIAT is postponed to next Wednesday due to later arrival of new windshield - thing must be shipped from Michigan (to B.C. Canada) ... Hopefully it arrives in one piece though!!

Makes me wonder about FIAT's supply chain :rolleyes:

Windshield is replaced for a whopping Can. $2022.56 :crushed:
Comprehensive is a good thing to have :friendly_wink: