PDA

View Full Version : Abarth go boom!

PRoBLeMz
08-26-2012, 09:39 PM
With 6913 miles on her.

Was at work for 6 days, so the car sat at work for that time. Got back and headed out. At about 3/4 of a mile a back fire happened. Engine shook and I pulled over. Got towed to nearest dealership. A piston decided to shatter according to the dealer. Thats all I have for now. Most likely 1 to 2 weeks for repair, said they are contacting Fiat engineers blah blah. Zero mods have been done to this car. Also stuck 100 miles from me since that is where my work is located.

FTY
08-26-2012, 09:59 PM
WOW...no good. Please keep us updated on what cuased this!!

Abarth Five O
08-26-2012, 11:12 PM
Sorry to hear the bad news. As I recall, another Abarth owner had some internal engine issues (valve springs, etc.)

Here's the thread on the Madness Forum: http://500madness.com/500madness/forums/showthread.php?1224-5-day-old-Abarth-Misfiring#.UDrmB_UijTo

Keep us posted!

deathshead
08-26-2012, 11:47 PM
Wow, keep us updated on this, it's very interesting hearing about brand new motors blowing up, its rare but it does happen from time to time with all makes and and models. My dads 87 s15 2.8v6 sucked intake gaskets and blew up at around 12k from what I remember.

Pinecone
08-27-2012, 09:57 AM
Hopefully an isolated instance.

But it does happen. The BMW E46 M3 had a period when a fairly large number of engine went boom (rod through the block). It turned out to be a screwed up production change.

Fiat500USA
08-27-2012, 10:55 AM
Hopefully an isolated instance.

But it does happen. The BMW E46 M3 had a period when a fairly large number of engine went boom (rod through the block). It turned out to be a screwed up production change.

My friend worked in the warranty department of BMW NA. Let's just say he was extremely busy.;) It is amazing how powerful slogans like "The Ultimate Driving Machine" and "German Engineering" can set a certain perception in one's mind. I'm a big fan of BMW, particularly the M3, but realize the reliability or servicing may not be their strong points, despite the "German Engineering" thing. :)

FiatCares
08-27-2012, 11:46 AM
With 6913 miles on her.

Was at work for 6 days, so the car sat at work for that time. Got back and headed out. At about 3/4 of a mile a back fire happened. Engine shook and I pulled over. Got towed to nearest dealership. A piston decided to shatter according to the dealer. Thats all I have for now. Most likely 1 to 2 weeks for repair, said they are contacting Fiat engineers blah blah. Zero mods have been done to this car. Also stuck 100 miles from me since that is where my work is located.

Im sorry to hear of this.. if you'd like, please send me a PM with your VIN and servicing studio and Ill keep an eye on the repair. I hope they have you in a loaner/rental vehicle.

nerdalert
08-27-2012, 01:01 PM
Damnnnnnn! That. Sucks.

Robert Nixon
08-27-2012, 05:20 PM
hopefully the end result will be something like "well, the warranty was great, and now I have a new engine!"

MAZ
08-28-2012, 09:15 AM
A piston decided to shatter according to the dealer. Thats all I have for now.
wow. Broken forged piston....? damage at the skirts or the top?
I'd like to pictures of the carnage if possible as well as what they think caused this?
Good luck.... keep updating

Abarth Five O
08-28-2012, 05:41 PM
That's a stock blown motor without mods. More engine mods = greater probability of a blown motor and voided warranty. For those of us with that passion, we accept the risk and possibility of forking out more $$.

Berliner
08-28-2012, 06:25 PM
Wow sorry 2 hear about the Damage but as we all know you gonna be in good Hands with Jonathan

deathshead
08-28-2012, 08:01 PM
My friend worked in the warranty department of BMW NA. Let's just say he was extremely busy.;) It is amazing how powerful slogans like "The Ultimate Driving Machine" and "German Engineering" can set a certain perception in one's mind. I'm a big fan of BMW, particularly the M3, but realize the reliability or servicing may not be their strong points, despite the "German Engineering" thing. :)

In MT Olive? My wife worked there too, Your in NY right? Orange County? or out east?

Fiat500USA
08-29-2012, 02:00 AM
It was Montvale and probably 2006 or so when we discussed this. I was kind of surprised by some of the things, but then again, not really because I'm used to European cars.

PRoBLeMz
08-30-2012, 06:34 PM
Well ok. Not a piston that shattered, but metal material(ball size metal that flattened out in the cylinder) and put a nice hole in the piston caused a failure. This is what the service told me today. I asked for pictures and he said he would get them to me within a day.

Thinking it was left over metal from the casting process that broke lose somewhere in the block or heads. I am not sure, but anyways. Service guy told me Fiat has not even yet approved the repairs? They told them to break down the engine all the way. Maybe to see if more damage I guess. 1.5 weeks so far. Slow process to even get approved.

If/when I get the pictures, I will post them here.

VTEC Mini
08-30-2012, 08:37 PM
Well ok. Not a piston that shattered, but metal material(ball size metal that flattened out in the cylinder) and put a nice hole in the piston caused a failure. This is what the service told me today. I asked for pictures and he said he would get them to me within a day.

Thinking it was left over metal from the casting process that broke lose somewhere in the block or heads. I am not sure, but anyways. Service guy told me Fiat has not even yet approved the repairs? They told them to break down the engine all the way. Maybe to see if more damage I guess. 1.5 weeks so far. Slow process to even get approved.

If/when I get the pictures, I will post them here.This is interesting! I doubt very, very seriously it was left over casting. It sounds more like a valve broke or a valve spring broke and valve hit the piston. I am willing to bet money on it. It is interesting because there was another Abarth that had a broken valve spring.

FiatCares
08-31-2012, 09:07 AM

If/when I get the pictures, I will post them here.

I hope the studio has you in a rental/loaner.. ??

PRoBLeMz
08-31-2012, 09:09 PM
I hope the studio has you in a rental/loaner.. ??

Yep. its a Chrysler 200. Nice car from "Enterprise Rental Car".

Update: Service adviser called me today. Stated that a new engine is on the way. However he mentioned that it would most likely be 1 to 2 weeks longer. He said he has really no idea on the timeline since its now out of there hands on when the new engine shows up. I agreed with him. Any delays would not be there fault.

I also mentioned all the past issues I have had with the wacky tachometer. I let them know that Fiat of Austin has been tracking that issue for some time. Since the car is dead I said it would be a good time to replace the cluster since that is the only way to properly replace the tach. He said he wrote it up. Wonder what that means? Hope it gets replaced.

Looks like I will be losing the car for a month. Sucks since I am jobless now since I got let go last week. I have a school that I be going to in San Antonio that is 100 miles away from my home. Hope the car gets back by September 10th, need that gas mileage! :) GI Bill might freak if I am a no show :/ No idea.

08-31-2012, 09:37 PM
Sounds promising, fair play to Fiat who seem to be doing this right!
Good luck, keep us posted!

deathshead
09-01-2012, 01:34 PM
It was Montvale and probably 2006 or so when we discussed this. I was kind of surprised by some of the things, but then again, not really because I'm used to European cars.

Ya in Mt Olive they used to drop V12's from forklights off the loading docks, slice up seats and floor mats with razor blade, etc..

PRoBLeMz
10-01-2012, 09:56 AM
Just got the Abarth back 2 days ago. Looooooong time since I last saw "Luigi". Car is running great with the new engine. Thinking I've been having an issue for awhile now. Always had loud backfires since day one, especially when the engine was cold. Now I get a snappy pop here and there. Might be the result of the M32 update done to the ECU. No idea.

Dealer did a "OK" job. Lots of delays in repairs and forever in actually getting it done. You would figure 1.5 months and they could have at least did a better job cleaning my car instead of a quick rinse to the outside. lol

All in all, I am happy that I got my car back. After this experience though, I am on the fence about buying another Fiat though. Love the Abarth, but the experience and endless delays leaves a sour taste.

Take care!

Abarth Five O
10-01-2012, 01:07 PM
Sorry to hear all your troubles. Glad they got Luigi fixed and running again. Hopefully, it will be the last of any major problems for you and Luigi will put a :smile: back on your face. Best of luck!

Fiat500USA
10-01-2012, 01:17 PM
Good to hear your car is back. The engine went on my Audi and had to wait a similar amount of time. Disappointing and took forever, but the car turned out to be very reliable so it was just a memory. The good thing is I saved not putting on the miles on my car. biggrin Hope for smooth sailings for you from now on.

exigejoe
10-01-2012, 02:40 PM
Sucks, glad everything is ok now.

10-01-2012, 04:09 PM
Good resolution. I do wonder how many bad words were used by the techs in fitting the engine, a job I dont believe ANY have done yet on our cars?!

Im sure the delays were the usual Fiat Parts Order issues everybody gets, where it takes weeks to get a nut and bolt!!! Zero parts store from the factory, means NO availability!

djhace
10-10-2012, 01:47 PM
dang! glad you got your car back though.