PDA

View Full Version : TWM Short Shifter Install

SeaDawg
08-24-2012, 01:30 PM
Had TWM short shifter and shift knob installed this morning. WOW! Gear changes are now 'snick, snick'. Absolutely NO slop! It's like the end of the gearshift is directly stirring the cogs. The shift gate between 4th and 5th must be all the width of a RCH (extremely narrow). The only thing I think could be improved is the diameter of the collar that actuates the lockout for Reverse. The boot comes right up underneath which makes it a little more difficult to actuate in its current state.

EugeneS
08-24-2012, 01:46 PM
Had TWM short shifter and shift knob installed this morning. WOW! Gear changes are now 'snick, snick'. Absolutely NO slop! It's like the end of the gearshift is directly stirring the cogs. The shift gate between 4th and 5th must be all the width of a RCH (extremely narrow). The only thing I think could be improved is the diameter of the collar that actuates the lockout for Reverse. The boot comes right up underneath which makes it a little more difficult to actuate in its current state.

Great!!! :) Could you please post some pics?

SeaDawg
08-24-2012, 02:04 PM
Normal Sport...Boot is by Black...Shift Knob is TWM Gun Metal finish w/Shift Pattern.

EugeneS
08-24-2012, 02:12 PM
Thanks! It looks really good, I am thinking to do this when I'll be at Madness shop in November...

Vaejovis carolinanus aka lowconabarth
08-24-2012, 03:45 PM
Thanks! It looks really good, I am thinking to do this when I'll be at Madness shop in November...
I do not think they carry TWM, but the Craven SShifter is one of the brands offered my the Madness folks.

Abarth Five O
08-24-2012, 10:53 PM
The TWN SS is almost double the price of the Cravens SS. Is it worth the extra $$? It looks like a sold build and design, but so does the Cravens. Comments, +s and -s appreciated. Next mod for my Abarth.

SeaDawg
08-25-2012, 01:44 AM
The TWN SS is almost double the price of the Cravens SS. Is it worth the extra $$? It looks like a sold build and design, but so does the Cravens. Comments, +s and -s appreciated. Next mod for my Abarth.

Everyone will defend what they spent THEIR $$ on, lol. Mine was one of the first produced and therefore got it for $349 + shipping...but before they shipped they came out with another promotion and because I asked (bitched) I got an additional 10% off the total including shipping. I think you'd have to be able to do a side by side comparison to tell if there was any difference in feel. The TWM includes the whole 'cage assembly' (METAL) that bolts to the floor of the driving compartment. The Craven only replaces the top portion, retaining the PLASTIC OEM 'cage assembly'.

I can honestly tell you that if I didn't know there were cables between the shifter mechanism and the transmission I would swear it was either direct or used metal levers...it's that SOLID. There is NO flex and I never would have believed 28% reduction in movement would be such a TREMENDOUS reduction in movement. Whereas I used to sometimes get hung going from 4th to 5th due to the distance thru the gate, there is now NO discernible gate at all, you just push to the right and up and you're in 5th. The only nit I have to pick, which wouldn't apply to the Abarth, is the diameter of the 'ring' that you use to lift the reverse lockout needs to be larger as it is a little difficult to operate as currently configured on mine.

It's an EXCEPTIONALLY well made piece of equipment. I'm actually VERY impressed with it so far.

Abarth Five O
08-25-2012, 02:36 AM
Everyone will defend what they spent THEIR $$ on, lol. Mine was one of the first produced and therefore got it for $349 + shipping...but before they shipped they came out with another promotion and because I asked (bitched) I got an additional 10% off the total including shipping. I think you'd have to be able to do a side by side comparison to tell if there was any difference in feel. The TWM includes the whole 'cage assembly' (METAL) that bolts to the floor of the driving compartment. The Craven only replaces the top portion, retaining the PLASTIC OEM 'cage assembly'.

I can honestly tell you that if I didn't know there were cables between the shifter mechanism and the transmission I would swear it was either direct or used metal levers...it's that SOLID. There is NO flex and I never would have believed 28% reduction in movement would be such a TREMENDOUS reduction in movement. Whereas I used to sometimes get hung going from 4th to 5th due to the distance thru the gate, there is now NO discernible gate at all, you just push to the right and up and you're in 5th. The only nit I have to pick, which wouldn't apply to the Abarth, is the diameter of the 'ring' that you use to lift the reverse lockout needs to be larger as it is a little difficult to operate as currently configured on mine.

It's an EXCEPTIONALLY well made piece of equipment. I'm actually VERY impressed with it so far.

Thanks for the feedback. You got a great price. I think on line TWM is asking for $449 or close to that price point. Was it difficult to install?

SeaDawg
08-25-2012, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the feedback. Was it difficult to install?

My days of DIY projects are pretty much over, especially when it comes to automotive endeavours. I had the FIAT Studio that does all my regular maintenance (oil changes presently) install it. I don't think the Tech that did the installation (there is only ONE) had done one before or, at least, not a TWM. I think it took him around 1 1/2 to 2 hours to get everything back together and adjust the shift knob so the shift pattern was centered when the knob was tight. But there ARE people on here, username 'Geeded', who has an Abarth did his own installation. I think he did a post in the Abarth section about his adventure.

trevc
08-25-2012, 01:35 PM
I am looking for a short shifter. Really want the TWM as it addresses more issues than just the length of the shift throw and is well engineered. Unfortunately I cant justify the price they are asking. Hopefully something else will come along soon.....

SeaDawg
08-25-2012, 02:38 PM
I am looking for a short shifter. Really want the TWM as it addresses more issues than just the length of the shift throw and is well engineered. Unfortunately I cant justify the price they are asking. Hopefully something else will come along soon.....

WOW! I guess they figure if you can afford an Abarth you can afford $50 more, with less parts since it doesn't require the reverse lockout release, than the regular 500 assembly. $449.95 vs $399.95

I thought at least one of the other SS manufacturers actually gave a bit of a price reduction on the Abarth version. Based on the TWM Abarth price, I think the difference must be approaching $150.00 for the Craven and other SS kits.

Abarth Five O
08-25-2012, 02:46 PM
My days of DIY projects are pretty much over, especially when it comes to automotive endeavours. I had the FIAT Studio that does all my regular maintenance (oil changes presently) install it. I don't think the Tech that did the installation (there is only ONE) had done one before or, at least, not a TWM. I think it took him around 1 1/2 to 2 hours to get everything back together and adjust the shift knob so the shift pattern was centered when the knob was tight. But there ARE people on here, username 'Geeded', who has an Abarth did his own installation. I think he did a post in the Abarth section about his adventure.

Thanks, I check to see other posts for DIY videos, etc.

500ways
08-25-2012, 06:36 PM
WOW! I guess they figure if you can afford an Abarth you can afford $50 more, with less parts since it doesn't require the reverse lockout release, than the regular 500 assembly. $449.95 vs $399.95

I thought at least one of the other SS manufacturers actually gave a bit of a price reduction on the Abarth version. Based on the TWM Abarth price, I think the difference must be approaching $150.00 for the Craven and other SS kits.

Nice choice SeaDawg! You continue to add some nice items to your car! Are you still thinking about getting the "T"?

SeaDawg
08-25-2012, 09:00 PM
Nice choice SeaDawg! You continue to add some nice items to your car! Are you still thinking about getting the "T"?

Yes! I'm still mentally young enough, or is that immature enough, to think of cars as more than just transportation. AND my left leg works well enough to still drive a stick, which I consider a must for a small car/engine or something that says Sport Sedan like the 2007 MB C 230. I might change my opinion if I ever try one of those newfangled contraptions, the DCT.

I may decide to keep The Lady in Red...it's all 'yet to be determined'.:cower:

FYI..for those who have the Regular 5 Spd WITH the lockout. When you use the lockout release and shift into reverse with the TWM it LOCKS the lever in reverse...you have to lift the collar to put the shifter back in a forward gear. It's also a little cranky to shift into reverse...at least mine is.

00tlry
11-03-2012, 09:53 PM
Be careful with the metal knob... I had one on a bummer and it got HOT in the summer and cold enough in the winter for my hand to stick. So since your in FL you just get to deal with the heat