PDA

View Full Version : Abarth died on startup and now CEL on......

hail2thetheif
08-21-2012, 03:01 PM
Been thoroughly enjoying my Abarth with no issues until now. Hopefully it's just a minor issue.

Car was delivered in July. Currently has about 1400 miles on it.

This morning I went out to my car to leave for work and the car started up and then instantly died. Started her up again and now have a solid check engine light.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this before? There doesn't appear/feel like anything is horribly wrong but a startup then die is never a good sign when thinking about my old car experiences.

If anyone has any input I would much appreciate it.

Other than this hiccup I love this car!

Thanks.

08-21-2012, 06:45 PM
See how the next couple of days go, may just be some crap in the fuel or something simple like fuel cap loose, and will probably disappear in the next couple of cycles.

hail2thetheif
08-21-2012, 09:44 PM
That would be nice. Hoping it's something small like that. Called the dealer and they said they could schedule me in the morning however they have no loaner cars available right now which doesn't work for me. So looks like if I can't fix it tonight I'll be riding my bike around until next week when they have loaner cars and another service opening.

Really hope it's nothing severe.

Robert Nixon
08-21-2012, 10:37 PM
Maybe you can stop by a parts store and have them check it with a scanner--- or have a friend with a scanner

Sterling_Aug
08-22-2012, 10:21 AM
I bought a $25.00 scanner on Amazon.com so I can check out any messages myself. I will be using it on my 500 Sport.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001LHVOVK/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

FiatCares
08-22-2012, 10:52 AM
Been thoroughly enjoying my Abarth with no issues until now. Hopefully it's just a minor issue.

Car was delivered in July. Currently has about 1400 miles on it.

This morning I went out to my car to leave for work and the car started up and then instantly died. Started her up again and now have a solid check engine light.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this before? There doesn't appear/feel like anything is horribly wrong but a startup then die is never a good sign when thinking about my old car experiences.

If anyone has any input I would much appreciate it.

Other than this hiccup I love this car!

Thanks.

Totally agree with Fidgell.... but if it continues.. PM me.

Tom2.0
08-22-2012, 05:04 PM
Why not stop by the dealer? The car is under warranty!

Prima 109
08-22-2012, 09:31 PM
My Abarth's light came on Sunday while on my way to Englishtown. Car ran fine, so I continued along with my travels. Called dealer on Monday, said to bring in the next day. BTW, light went out Monday morning at startup, but still called. It was some code for Evap purge valve circiit low. (PO47AC), I think. Dealer did a reflash that was available and all is well.

hail2thetheif
08-22-2012, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. After turning the car on and pulling it into the garage the light was no longer on. Kinda odd. Checked around as much as possible without tearing into her and found no loose/missing hose clamps or anything of that matter. The dealer was able to get me a loaner car so I dropped the car off this morning. Before EOD they gave me a ring and said the code told them to replace the temperature sensor. Currently that is the only thing they have found but they are continuing to check for other areas tomorrow while waiting for the part to arrive.

So far nothing sounds crazy enough to be worried about which is nice. Crossing fingers. All cars have little issues here and there, even new ones. I'll update the thread with anything else they find if they do in fact find anything else. Just a note though if your car has/is experiencing anything similar you might want to take it in to get checked for that sensor.

Thanks again for all the suggestions/insights.

pchop
08-22-2012, 11:59 PM
My Abarth's light came on Sunday while on my way to Englishtown. Car ran fine, so I continued along with my travels. Called dealer on Monday, said to bring in the next day. BTW, light went out Monday morning at startup, but still called. It was some code for Evap purge valve circiit low. (PO47AC), I think. Dealer did a reflash that was available and all is well.

I, too got the same code with only a few hundred miles. The light went out by itself and haven't returned since. Also just did my first oil change and there was an ECU reflash that will correct this.

Pinecone
08-23-2012, 06:32 AM
One common cause for a light that goes away is not having the fuel cap on tight. Or refueling with the key in the on position or the engine running.

08-23-2012, 09:03 AM
Dealers changing stuff even though the lights out??? Sounds like unnecessary work to me to get more cash in from Fiat!!! If the lights out i wouldn avoid the dealer!

jguerdat
08-23-2012, 09:19 AM
The code tells a story that there's a problem. And if they didn't do anything, someone would complain that the dealer sucks. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I'd rather have them replace a part based on the codes and diagnostics than to be told to drive it and have to come back later...

hail2thetheif
08-23-2012, 11:42 AM
The code tells a story that there's a problem. And if they didn't do anything, someone would complain that the dealer sucks. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I'd rather have them replace a part based on the codes and diagnostics than to be told to drive it and have to come back later...

I think you hit the nail on the head here. Just because the light went out doesn't mean it's not going to pop up again in a few days or another time in the near future. I'd rather have my car go through the tests every time while under warranty than to just lean on the side of "it should be fine".

Prima 109
08-23-2012, 05:57 PM
If that light came on, it was for a good reason. If not corrected, it will come on again..

08-23-2012, 06:06 PM
If that light came on, it was for a good reason. If not corrected, it will come on again..

Not always true, small contaminent in fuel can cause the light and then it goes out... Wont happen again unless you get crud in the gas again. Like the run in oil thread- whatever makes you happy i prefer to stay out dealer unless its necessary!

hail2thetheif
08-28-2012, 09:44 PM
Got the car back last Friday and hadn't had any issues until today after getting off work. Came out and started the car up and then she died again. No CEL though and it runs fine as far as I can tell.

Even though this issue appears to be "minor" I can't help but speculate the real cause to be worse. Especially when other threads are popping up about piston heads cracking and valve springs failing ect... I sure hope it's not the beginning of something more severe.

No one has had any odd start issues like this at all?

08-29-2012, 07:35 AM
Got the car back last Friday and hadn't had any issues until today after getting off work. Came out and started the car up and then she died again. No CEL though and it runs fine as far as I can tell.

Even though this issue appears to be "minor" I can't help but speculate the real cause to be worse. Especially when other threads are popping up about piston heads cracking and valve springs failing ect... I sure hope it's not the beginning of something more severe.

No one has had any odd start issues like this at all?

Did the dealer tell you any more info on the fault codes and what they did? This is what I was talking about, with modern cars I find most manufacturers either cant or dont want to diagnose properly and just keep randomly changing parts until the issue goes away! Thats why if theres no light and its running fine - id leave well alone. (UNLESS its a month from the end of the warranty of course).

Pinecone
08-29-2012, 10:30 AM
Especially when other threads are popping up about piston heads cracking and valve springs failing ect...

Just to be accurate, there is ONE instance of valve spring failure and ONE instance of a broken piston. As of this time.

08-29-2012, 12:04 PM
I was reading today of the first batch of Focus STs, and how one stopped on the highway on day one causing the rest to be delayed at the plant for checking... Youll never guess what caused it!!! Yup clamp on an intercooler pipe not secure, now who would have an unsecure clamp on a vital hose???!! ;)

I think for a high performance car and 6 months of ownerships the Abarth is actually doing VERY well in terms of problems!

hail2thetheif
08-29-2012, 12:44 PM
Just to be accurate, there is ONE instance of valve spring failure and ONE instance of a broken piston. As of this time.

While ONE instance for each is true, that is just ONE instance for each that are reported on our forum. I'm not saying that there is more and I'm not saying that's it's at all related or a larger problem. I am saying as a new car owner with random engine symptoms it is something to think about albeit lightly. These are first year models and high-performance first year models at that. For me, it's also my first new car. If this were to happen on any of my old project STi swaps I would have thought a bit less of the situation because well I probably installed something wrong or it was getting old. But it's not a project car. It's a brand new car. And ANY issues that have risen for ANY other customer be it ONE or many are worth paying attention to.

trevc
08-29-2012, 01:18 PM
Thankfully this engine has been used for a while in the European Fiat Punto so it is not unproven by any means.

hail2thetheif
08-29-2012, 04:37 PM
Thankfully this engine has been used for a while in the European Fiat Punto so it is not unproven by any means.

True enough and that does make me feel better!

More than anything I love this car and just don't want something bad to happen to it haha.

Robert Nixon
08-29-2012, 08:20 PM
I'm sure we'd all like the Abarth and standard Fiats to be perfect with no issues at all anywhere in the entire world... But to keep it in perspective, how often do we read about recalls in the paper for all the major car makers? Toyota recently! The new Ford Escape already! and many more. Think of any new Ferrari you've read about, or the older ones, and how many of them had some kind of issue that is well known and eventually gets sorted out? Just about all of them as far as I know.

I guess for me the reality is that very few items that are manufactured are perfect, especially complicated vehicles with how many hundreds or thousands of parts, internal combustion, electronic systems, etc. etc. As someone else noted above, especially for a first year performance car, you've got to expect some issues. one of my high school teachers way back in the 70s advised us young punks to "never buy a car in the first year model", and I think his advice is still sound, but of course Fiat 500s and the Abarth have been sold in Europe for several years, so I don't have any concerns.

hail2thetheif
09-11-2012, 03:37 PM
Well not 2 weeks after the "fix" the problem has returned. Car has been instantly dying on startup basically every morning and sometimes during the afternoon. CEL popped on yesterday and took it into the dealer today. Hoping use the same "fix" they did before because clearly it didn't fix the problem. Hoping the mechanics will get a bit creative into searching out the real source of the issue. They mentioned to me the first time all they did was follow the book. Which is good and I understand but when the book is wrong...you have to get creative.

Again hoping it's nothing serious but the reoccurrence does not sit well with me that's for sure.

I'll keep the thread updated as to what they find out.

hail2thetheif
09-12-2012, 08:23 PM
Just talked with the dealer. Apparently the code was a different one this time but they wouldn't tell me what it was......They also can't seem to replicate the problem (of course). When I dropped it off I asked if they could update my control module as well but they hadn't heard of that recall yet. But they informed me they contacted the Fiat Tech line and have been instructed to replace the whole PCM.

The dealer has been great as far as convenience goes but the service area doesn't seem to want to tell me what they've found in detail which I'm guessing means they don't know what's wrong/causing the die on startup or why exactly whatever codes are being thrown are from.

I hope that the replacement PCM solves the issue and doesn't just bandaid the situation.

Is there anyone else who's heard of an issue like this?

Pinecone
09-13-2012, 09:39 AM
Ours did the same thing last week. Stalled after first start in the morning, started right up with a CEL.

CEL went out after a cycle or two (my wife reported, I am traveling). But popped back up later that day or the next day. But the car is running fine.

We will schedule it in to be looked at and have the PCM update done when I get back.

hail2thetheif
09-18-2012, 07:01 PM
Well after not being contacted by the service department for 5 days.........I gave them a call and left a message. Few hours later received a message regarding my car. Apparently my 1-2 day window to receive a new PCM is now just unknown. They have no idea what the availability of the part is or how long it will take to receive one and on top of that, they don't even know if this will solve the problem.

Really getting frustrated now. From not being contacted about my car, to being shrugged off when asking questions regarding service findings about the issue, this is not a pleasant experience.

Plainsman
09-18-2012, 08:14 PM

I had this same code and engine light come on last Friday as I was cruising down the highway going about 75mph. I swung by the dealer and they did the recall reflash on the pcm and the light has not come on since. I have just over a thousand miles on the odometer. Did not notice any performance gains from the reflash. The car still runs strong though. Smoother acceleration as others have mentioned has been my experience as well.

FiatCares
09-19-2012, 03:14 PM
Well after not being contacted by the service department for 5 days.........I gave them a call and left a message. Few hours later received a message regarding my car. Apparently my 1-2 day window to receive a new PCM is now just unknown. They have no idea what the availability of the part is or how long it will take to receive one and on top of that, they don't even know if this will solve the problem.

Really getting frustrated now. From not being contacted about my car, to being shrugged off when asking questions regarding service findings about the issue, this is not a pleasant experience.

Theif: Is there anything I can do to help? How long have you been inconvenienced? Please PM me with your VIN

hail2thetheif
09-19-2012, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the message Jonathan. I've PM'd you some information.