PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Studs

Pinecone
08-15-2012, 11:44 AM
I am starting a new thread on just wheel studs.

I emailed and discussed wheel studs with two different companies.

ACS is a US company. They do not currently have M12x1.25 studs, but are planning on them. I was told, they hsould be offering them next month in their Performance Series studs. See the link and scroll down. I prefer the Bullet Nose style, but those will not come until later.

http://www.apexcompetition.com/ProductInfo/

The other company is Lark Speed in the UK. M12x1.25 studs are common over there. I need to pick up my car tomorrow and do some measurements and pictures for them. The have studs in various lengths. Also nuts in both closed end or open end styles. It looks like some styles of nuts also come in various colors (red, blue, chrome). I should have more exact info of what will fit shortly.

Studs:

http://www.larkspeed.com/index.pl?c=WHEELSTUDS&s=category

Nuts:

http://www.larkspeed.com/index.pl?c=WHEELNUTS&s=category

nojeebs
08-15-2012, 12:02 PM
Nice I got in contact with ACS as well regarding wheel studs for our cars. Unfortunately for me I'm running 4x100 wheels so wobble bolts only for now. >______< Next set of wheels will for sure be drilled to 4x98 just so I can run some sweet lug nuts. Bwahahaha.

trevc
08-15-2012, 12:04 PM
Out of interest, what are the pros/cons over what we have standard? Thanks!

I am starting a new thread on just wheel studs.

I emailed and discussed wheel studs with two different companies.

ACS is a US company. They do not currently have M12x1.25 studs, but are planning on them. I was told, they hsould be offering them next month in their Performance Series studs. See the link and scroll down. I prefer the Bullet Nose style, but those will not come until later.

http://www.apexcompetition.com/ProductInfo/

The other company is Lark Speed in the UK. M12x1.25 studs are common over there. I need to pick up my car tomorrow and do some measurements and pictures for them. The have studs in various lengths. Also nuts in both closed end or open end styles. It looks like some styles of nuts also come in various colors (red, blue, chrome). I should have more exact info of what will fit shortly.

Studs:

http://www.larkspeed.com/index.pl?c=WHEELSTUDS&s=category

Nuts:

http://www.larkspeed.com/index.pl?c=WHEELNUTS&s=category

nojeebs
08-15-2012, 12:12 PM
I mainly work on cars with wheel studs so it's more of a convenience of being able to dismount and remount my wheels with studs rather than using lug bolts. The other bonus is that you get to run all sorts of yummy lug nuts to accent your car and show your style. ;)

Oh on topic.....I think 80mm to a 100mm would be something I'd run since I like open end lugs/extended lug nuts.

Vaejovis carolinanus aka lowconabarth
08-15-2012, 12:21 PM
Another bona fortuna for the stock 16"s,you can't see the lugs because of the scorpion cover.

Pinecone
08-15-2012, 01:33 PM
The big thing is if you track or autocross, it is MUCH easier to change wheels with studs. With bolts, you have to hold the wheel up and then align the holes. The stock wheels have alignment pins to help, but those have to be removed for mosst aftermaket wheels.

80 to 100 will be a BIT long.

I run 75mm on my M3 and use spacers in the rear with the track wheels (SSR Comps).

nojeebs
08-15-2012, 04:44 PM
Pinecone are you running open end lugs? I don't mind some of the stud poking through when I go open end lugs.

Side note....I was able to get my faces drilled for 4x98 so I guess I'll be doing a wheel stud conversion within the next week or 2. >_____<

stealthy1ss
08-15-2012, 06:31 PM
What about ARP? They might be able to make something for us. I agree with Pinecone. It is a total pain in the rear to put the wheels back on the car without the studs even though we have the little line up studs.

Pinecone
08-15-2012, 08:17 PM
Any number of people CAN do them. But the UK already has them available, and ACR is already planning on making for the market.

I run open ended nuts. I prefer to see a few threads past the nut. And I run different rims and sometimes spacers on my cars, so need the adjustability of the open end nuts.

Plus they look more racer like. :D

Actually I have bullet ended studs on one car, so open end are required.

msjulie33
08-16-2012, 09:33 AM
Plus they look more racer like. :D

You realize that is the most important thing! :) Seriously, seems a lot of cars come with lug bolts and our VW came with a nice (lame) plastic helper stud you put in first to hang the rim. Breaks all the time, you can get a nice metal aftermarket version for < $50 but why didn't it just come that way? Oh yeah, Americans don't know how to change flat tires etc...

Oops thread hijack, sorry..

Pinecone
08-16-2012, 12:15 PM
It seems to be a Euro thing. Most US and Japanese cars seem to come with studs. Most Euro cars seem to come with bolts.

I have a set of two (works even better) positioning pins for our BMWs. They are galvanized, so only $25 for the set. :)

Pinecone
08-25-2012, 07:24 AM
APC now has 1.25mm pitch studs for our cars.

Hello Fiat Fans,

We have added 1.25mm thread pitch studs to our catalog and will be adding longer lengths in the coming weeks.

http://www.race-studs.com/servlet/the-67/M12x1.25-Performance-Studs/Detail

Bill Sulouff

Apex Competition Systems
Motorsport Equipment Suppliers

stealthy1ss
08-25-2012, 04:03 PM
Cool Beans!

Fiat500USA
08-25-2012, 04:56 PM
Fiats come with locating pins, so that helps when putting on wheels. It is something I've always missed when working on VW/Audi cars.

Pinecone
08-26-2012, 08:00 AM
Yes, my old 850 Spider had locating pins, which made it easier. BMW also has bolts and no locating pins. I hve a set of pins that screw into two bolt holes to make it easier to get the wheel in place.

But studs are nicer. :)

If you don't have your wheels off very often, not a big deal. But for tracking, autocross, or even switching between winter and summer wheels/tires, it makes things a lot easier.

stealthy1ss
08-26-2012, 12:53 PM
It is so worth paying $50+ for studs and nuts.

Pinecone
08-26-2012, 03:05 PM
Studs are also available from some of the Fiat merchants. Midwest Bayless had kits with 16 studs and nuts for about $49. Choice of 52mm, 65mm, or 80mm studs.

007Juan
04-17-2019, 01:29 PM
Hello everyone,

can someone tell me what the single wheel stud part no. 6509744AA is for? I had a flat front tire repaired yesterday and while inspecting the brakes myself, I noticed the single stud, it was also loose, not pressed in. Thank you for your comments

streetsurfer
04-17-2019, 02:08 PM
Hello everyone,

can someone tell me what the single wheel stud part no. 6509744AA is for? I had a flat front tire repaired yesterday and while inspecting the brakes myself, I noticed the single stud, it was also loose, not pressed in. Thank you for your comments

That is a locating pin to align (and hang?) the wheel prior to bolt placement at installation. Tighten it, if loose. Some have removed them when using certain aftermarket wheels where the receiving hole for it is non existent.

Hermiabarth
04-17-2019, 08:55 PM
I've never had a car with wheel bolts before I bought the Abarth. My second mod, after chassis braces, was wheel studs and open ended lug nuts from Eurocompulsion. Now I have a bag of wheel bolts and locating pins in storage. I really dislike the stock bolts with weak stamped metal caps. Glad to get rid of them. Even if you are not an autocrosser making frequent wheel changes, it's a worthy upgrade.