PDA

View Full Version : Odd ECU issue this past weekend

trevc
08-13-2012, 10:07 AM
I have had my Abarth since late April but have not had a chance to put a lot of mileage on it.
Thursday I headed up to Joliet IL. for the Abarth experience. I came back Saturday and put a total of 1084 miles on the car.

Part the way through the drive home I was on the freeway with cruise control on 80 when I got a warning that there was an issue with the Electronic Throttle Control. I pulled off at the next exit and checked the pedal connector etc. Power cycling the car cleared the ETC light but the CEL light stayed on.
As everything seemed to be running OK I hit the freeway again.

Later I stopped for lunch. I was at a red light getting ready to rejoin the freeway when the engine just died. I restarted and the CEL was now off!

Done about 300 miles since then with no further problems. Plugged in my OBDII scanner when I got home and no codes were recorded.

Seems like there maybe some software bugs still in our ECU code. It felt to me like the ECU crashed and rebooted which caused the engine to die.
(I don't know much about ECUs but I have worked in the computer business 30+ years).

I have an MM ECM but it was disabled (setting 0) at the time. I don't have a sprint booster or power pedal.

Just thought I would share...

Trevor

Pinecone
08-13-2012, 07:20 PM
When was your car built? If before May 9, then see this:

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?5715-Abarth-TSB-18-016-12-MIL-Illumination-And-Or-Engine-Knock

SiestaG
08-13-2012, 09:18 PM
Your comment about crashing and rebooting made me think of the MM ECM. Could there be an intermittent there? Off is one thing, but disconnected is something very different. And no, please don't ask me to run with the MM harness but no MM ECM to test this theory!

Vaejovis carolinanus aka lowconabarth
08-13-2012, 09:32 PM
Did you check the battery cables? It seems to happen when HOT. I have heard.

deathshead
08-13-2012, 09:39 PM
I think you might need to turn off TCP chimney and then run a sql profiler on it.
:playful:

I kidd! I Kidd!, Althought I could of sworn that i heard somone talking about a ECU update flash.. I have nothing to substantiate it though.

trevc
08-14-2012, 08:21 AM
Yeah, it was built in April so may need an ECU update; I will setup a service appointment to get it checked. We have 93 octane in this area so I use that but it could still be related.

Abarth67
08-14-2012, 09:32 AM
This same thing happened to me on the way to the FreakOut. I was driving along and the engine went to a limp mode with no power. The lightning bolt icon started glowing and of course I had to look it up to know what to do. I pulled over and restarted the engine, all has been fine since. I DO have the sprint booster and MM box. I guess it has nothing to do with the mods at least.

Anyone else?

Mike S
08-14-2012, 01:19 PM
I guess it has nothing to do with the mods at least.

Anyone else?

How can you be sure? Has anybody had these problems without the mods?

cspak71
08-15-2012, 12:15 PM
This same thing happened to me on the way to the FreakOut. I was driving along and the engine went to a limp mode with no power. The lightning bolt icon started glowing and of course I had to look it up to know what to do. I pulled over and restarted the engine, all has been fine since. I DO have the sprint booster and MM box. I guess it has nothing to do with the mods at least.

Anyone else?

I too have the MM box and have had the ECU throw a weird tantrum like that showing the electronic throttle control was having an issue. It's done that twice so far but hasn't popped up yet (knock on wood). I recently took it in for service and had the ECU reflashed but I'm not sure if that was ever the cause. Seems to be the ECU may still have a few gremlins in there that need to be rooted out.

My engine never died though... the electric bolt flashed and the check engine light stayed on, but once I pulled over and restarted the car, the electric bolt disappeared and within a day the check engine light turned itself off.

Abarth67
08-15-2012, 12:32 PM
my check engine light never came on.

mspace
09-05-2012, 07:49 AM
I've got a thread on a similar situation on the 500 "issues and concerns" page (guess I put it on the wrong page). Accelerating hard up a hill to merge with fast traffic, ETC light began flashing and engine wouldn't take throttle (still running, though)...at 80 mph in the fast lane. Turned car off and back on (at 80 mph in the fast lane!) and everything fine. Took to dealer yesterday, found P2299 code stored, indicating brake and throttle were applied simultaneously. Tech said that if both are applied, brake gets priority and that could shut off throttle, but since I regularly heel/toe, that could well have set that code too, and I sure wouldn't have hit the brake while accelerating to 80.

Car is a May delivery (real early) bone stock Abarth. Will remain stock until all the bugs are worked out (yes, the clock is weird and the paint is peeling off the rear emblem, but that doesn't worry me. This does.)

Funny, I'm also "Mike S", but I go by "Mike Space"