PDA

View Full Version : "Space is limited" What one item do you consider a must to leave in your car???

Pronto
08-12-2012, 04:42 PM
I thought this would be a fun thread to post on; I used to carry a trunk load of garbage in my "normal sized" cars over the years but now am forced to be very particular about what I carry around. Name one item you feel you can not live without that you store in your Fiat. I'll start: I keep 2 pairs of latex gloves in the pouch that holds the tire jack and tire iron. This is so if I am on my way to an importand meeting and have to change a flat, I wont have dirt all over my hands, especially since I have the white leather steering wheel!

pastor passum
08-12-2012, 09:39 PM
I have a bag, actually a soft cooler about 10"x14", filled with assorted microfiber towels, quick detailer, wax etc as well as a tool roll for emergencies. The tool roll, only about 10" long & 4" diameter, is actually from my motorcycle. You'd be surprised at the amount of carefully selected tools you can put in the roll. I rarely have to use it but it's like a cell phone, I feel naked without it in the car or on the bike!

Troy_Audi0
08-12-2012, 11:40 PM
I have a bag, actually a soft cooler about 10"x14", filled with assorted microfiber towels, quick detailer, wax etc as well as a tool roll for emergencies. The tool roll, only about 10" long & 4" diameter, is actually from my motorcycle. You'd be surprised at the amount of carefully selected tools you can put in the roll. I rarely have to use it but it's like a cell phone, I feel naked without it in the car or on the bike!

I got an old Milk crate to hold all of that.. get them cheap at a bar..
I got
(1) Big drying towel
(5)Micro Fibers
(1)Tire rag
Spray wax
Tire cleaner
Plastic treatment
window cleaner

500normal
08-25-2012, 12:35 AM
interesting question, i remember when i was a kid my mom would pack everything in the car and my dad would always get mad.... since then i pack nothin.

Just my ipod and the paperwork, and oh yea, my knife

stevenvillatoro
08-25-2012, 02:21 AM
I have a velcro-backed pouch (got it at the smart dealer years ago) that grips to the side of my trunk. It's exactly the right size to hold a pack of the wet sanitary wipes. They come in handy all the time.

I also keep a baseball cap in the glovebox, a tire pressure gauge, a pen, and a roll of quarters for parking meters and tolls.

Sterling_Aug
08-25-2012, 10:35 AM
Jumper cables and a 4-way lug wrench.

FTY
08-25-2012, 11:46 AM
I have a little ammobag, with a small craftsman tool set and jumpercables and a few rags.

deathshead
08-29-2012, 10:37 PM
I'm surprised NOBODY carries a fire extinguisher?

Driving around the corner from my house 1 day a kid had a chevy pickup in the middle of the street that just went into flames.. I jumped out like superman and put that fire out and saved the kids truck.

They thanked the crap out of me and a few days later knocked on the door and presented me with a new fire extinguisher.

Lucky/unlucky right place at the right time I guess. But after that I'll try to never leave without one.

Pronto
08-30-2012, 01:18 AM
Smart!

janaheim
08-30-2012, 03:00 AM
What a nice thing to do! Having a fire extinguisher sounds good to me. Any recommendations? Thank you.

Ciao,
John

I'm surprised NOBODY carries a fire extinguisher?

Driving around the corner from my house 1 day a kid had a chevy pickup in the middle of the street that just went into flames.. I jumped out like superman and put that fire out and saved the kids truck.

They thanked the crap out of me and a few days later knocked on the door and presented me with a new fire extinguisher.

Lucky/unlucky right place at the right time I guess. But after that I'll try to never leave without one.

janaheim
08-30-2012, 03:11 AM
The one thing I always carry in my trunk is two large fold-able bags with pouches on the right & left sides, with three partitions, mainly for groceries such as bottles. On the pouches I have a tire gage, flashlight and a road emergency kit. They easily fold to the side when not needed.

Ciao,
John

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-N2IFSJYRaIU/UD8RbfUQhbI/AAAAAAAAAJo/EWCyjlYtCZQ/w879-h659-p-k/IMG_0384.JPG

Pinecone
08-30-2012, 09:18 AM
I wonder if there is a mount kit from Europe?

In some countries, they are mandatory. BMW has mounts for most cars to put the fire extinguisher under the front edge of the driver's seat.

Vaejovis carolinanus aka lowconabarth
08-30-2012, 10:39 AM
I love the airpump under the drivers's seat, it saved a Rolls Royce stranded at the hospital with a flat.

Ferrero1911
08-30-2012, 03:18 PM
^^glad to hear the pump works!

I keep a tire gauge and wet wipes in my glove box. I like to make sure my hands are clean so my steering wheel stays nice. I never go anywhere without my California Duster. Sometimes I have some microfiber towels and spray and shine etc, but I usually do all of that at home. In my previous car I also carried jumper cables, but I'm not willing to give up the space in this car for them. Now that I think about it I think I should be carrying a flash light.

cmj912
08-31-2012, 10:36 AM
Microfiber towel in the driver's door pocket. Blanket on the rear seat for the dog. You cannot leave ANYTHING else in plain sight here out in a car or you risk a broken window.

sjmst
08-31-2012, 11:27 AM
A small red Griots Garage bag. It has velcro on the bottom and stays put in the corner of the trunk. It holds jumper cables, first aid, gloves, etc. In glove box, small mag light, and small mutipupose tool

luckymoi
08-31-2012, 12:20 PM
My baseball mitt in the boot; a baseball in the glove box. Ca, c'est tout.

PFVA63
08-31-2012, 04:17 PM
Hi,

I keep stuff like jumper cables, an air pump, a tire gauge, a spare towel (plus some paper napkins or "wet naps"), a portable vacuum in my car, and often a spare stick of deoderant/antiperspirant plus some aftershave and a comb or brush.

Although I haven't had to change a tire on my Fiat, on previous cars I get a fair number of flats driving in the Northern VA/DC area and the paper napkins and "wet naps" tended to be very useful for trying to clean up after changing a tire. I added the towel later, since I had a spare one and it seemed like it could be useful if I have to kneel down or lie down on hard asphalt to fix/check anything. the other personal items (anti-perspirant & such) are also for trying to clean up etc after fixing a flat.

Pinecone
09-01-2012, 06:13 AM
Although I haven't had to change a tire on my Fiat, on previous cars I get a fair number of flats driving in the Northern VA/DC area and the paper napkins and "wet naps" tended to be very useful for trying to clean up after changing a tire.

One word - GLOVES. :)