PDA

View Full Version : oil change - watch that O-ring!

desmomini
08-11-2012, 08:28 PM
Just did the first oil change on my Abarth at 3800 miles. I was planning to do it around 4,000, and I actually got the indicater light telling me to change the oil...proof I'm driving the car as it was meant to be driven!

Bought a FIAT filter online, and had Pennzoil Euro 5W-40 shipped to the house (that's the oil with the Ferrari branding on it).

This is definitely the most involved oil change I've encountered, primarily because that filter is so hard to get out, and then hard to get back in.

I went through the whole rigamarole, buttoned things up, started the car.......and walked around to front, where I saw copious amounts of oil spitting out around the filter.

Shut everything down and tore into it.....turns out the limited space afforded by the engine bay meant that when I put the filter housing back in, I tore the O-ring. Well that would do it! A replacement O-ring, and all was (and is) fine. Though it seemed like the engine was belching everything out, I only lost a quart in the few seconds before I switched off the engine again. Topped it off with another quart, and we're good to go.

So, in brief....when replacing the oil filter housing, note that things are tight in there, but if you wind up scraping that O-ring against in the process....you'll be in for some theatrics!

trevc
08-11-2012, 09:38 PM
Where did you purchase the oil from? Thanks!

desmomini
08-11-2012, 10:37 PM
Where did you purchase the oil from? Thanks!

Amazon.com - 50 bucks for 6 quarts, free shipping.

ewflyer
08-11-2012, 11:10 PM
I've only done one oil change on my Abarth so far. The oil change went pretty quick, I have access to lifts at the Fairchild Air Force base Auto Hobby Shop.

The only thing I took off the car was the belly pan, up in the engine bay I just loosened up the filter holder with a really long extension on a ratchet drive and moved it aside to get to the filter element. Space was tight and it was a one-handed job but I was able to remove and replace the filter element and then re-tighten the filter holder.

desmomini
08-11-2012, 11:18 PM
The only thing I took off the car was the belly pan, up in the engine bay I just loosened up the filter holder with a really long extension on a ratchet drive and moved it aside to get to the filter element. Space was tight and it was a one-handed job but I was able to remove and replace the filter element and then re-tighten the filter holder.

So, did you replace the O-ring with the filter holder loosened inside the car, or did you leave the old O-ring?

Pronto
08-12-2012, 04:58 PM
So, did you replace the O-ring with the filter holder loosened inside the car, or did you leave the old O-ring?

Just did an oil and filter change myself and you can easily remove the filter and filter cap up and out of the engine by doing a couple of easy steps. 1) remove the engine cover by gently pulling up on all four corners. 2) disconect the A/C coolant hose from the mount by popping that plastic clip up and then tie a string to it and pull it out of the way temporarily. 3) remove the 10mm bolt holding a small electrical harness that is attached to the backside of the radiator support, just inboard of the passenger side headlight and tuck it out of the way temporarily. You should have plenty of room to remove the oil filter cap using a 27mm socket and 24 inch extension. The filter will not fall out of the cap when you lift it up and out of the engine compartment. Also, you may want to look into buying an oil extractor pump so you no longer have to go under the car and mess with oil plugs, and belly covers! Cheers.

SeaDawg
08-12-2012, 05:54 PM
Just did an oil and filter change myself and you can easily remove the filter and filter cap up and out of the engine by doing a couple of easy steps.

You are aware we are in the ABARTH section of the Forum? The Turbocharger makes it exponentially more difficult to access the oil filter. I do however concur with the recommendation of the oil extractor!

Pronto
08-12-2012, 06:21 PM
You are aware we are in the ABARTH section of the Forum? The Turbocharger makes it exponentially more difficult to access the oil filter. I do however concur with the recommendation of the oil extractor!

Sorry, no, didn't realize my bad. Hope my post helps others though......

desmomini
08-12-2012, 06:37 PM
I really think I'm going to leave future oil changes to the dealer. Knowing the significance of that O-ring, and seeing the state of my hands today from dealing with that uber-tight area, it's just not fun, or worth my time, to change it myself. First time in decades of car ownershio I've come to this conclusion.

ewflyer
08-12-2012, 11:23 PM

Yes, I replaced the O-ring too. I always lube up O-rings with a bit of the fresh motor oil to prevent it from binding when I tighten it up. I got that habit as a bit of good advice from my Dad when I was a kid helping him work on the family cars (he always had me put oil all around the built-in O-ring on spin-on oil filters too).

Robert Nixon
08-17-2012, 08:47 PM
Somewhere else on line I read about the Abarth oil change, and the writer stated that whatever brand of filter he bought came with a new O ring. Just something to pay attention to for the DIYers.

Pinecone
08-18-2012, 06:23 AM
I picked up two filters form the dealer when I picked up the car. The filters came with new O-rings.