PDA

View Full Version : Road Rage - What a Bummer

desmomini
08-06-2012, 10:09 AM
:confusion:Well, I was concerned about this with a small, cool car, and had my first run-in last night.

I came up to a red light to make a right turn onto a four lane road. In front of me was the most clapped-out Ford F150 I've ever seen...the rusty tailgate was held in place with ratcheting canvas tie-down straps, the exhaust was barely hanging on, etc. He turned right and got into the right lane, and proceeded well under the speed limit. I got into the left lane and gave the car some gas to get around him. As the front of my car neared the back of his door, he whipped his wheel hard to come fully into my lane, forcing me into the center turning lane, which was, fortunately, empty at the time. I gunned the car to get around him and back into the left lane - I assumed if I fell in behind him, he would brake check me. He drifted back into the right lane, gave me a smug smile, and took off quickly down the road.

Thanks to the hands-free Blue and Me, I was able to call 911 and report him. I followed behind at a distance. He pulled into a subdevelopment, made a few turns, and wound up in a cul-de-sac. I pulled over to continue the call and give the exact street location, when Mr. Truck driver jumped out and approached my car, asking, "What's up???" I rolled down the window just long enough for him to hear that I was conversing with a dispatcher, and he turned and jumped back into his heap. He pulled out of the subdivision and straight into the parking lot of a bar.

Pulling onto the next street over, I was able to spy him getting out and entering the bar. The police arranged to meet me in the parking lot (Note - it was a very large parking lot, and I remained idling on the other side.)

When the constable arrived, I explained the situation. He cautioned me that with no damage and no eyewitnesses, it would be a "he-said/he-said" situation that would likely have no formal resolution. I told him that was fine with me - perhaps the experience of a police officer entering the bar and questioning Truck Driver would dissuade him from doing this again in the near future. "Oh, I think it will have that effect," said the officer.

The policeman entered the bar, and marched Mr. F150 into the lot to produce his I.D. and ask questions. The process took over 5 minutes, until the officer told him he was free to go. The policeman came over to me and told me the situation was exactly as we predicted - the guy had a different story (saying I cut him off and he gave me the finger.) The policeman told me the man appeared intoxicated, but he couldn't prove he was when he was operating the vehicle or how long he'd been in the bar (again, with just my testimony, that is,) and that he could write up a report, but it would probably be a court stalemate. I told him, again, that I was just appreciative he could give the guy a talking-to and hopefully influence his future behavior.

I detest road rage incidents. I also hate that I've been a recipient when I've driven small, cool cars, but never when i've been in behemoth SUVs. Hate the feeling that there's that kind of psychological influence to conform. Also very shaken up by the whole thing.

sjmst
08-06-2012, 10:20 AM
Very sorry to hear that, but you kept your cool and handled it just right. 99% of people love the car and are respectful. But some males who feel the car's short length mimics their ***** size, are out to prove something. I 've had maybe one or two aggressive drivers, but nothing like your moron. Remember though it could and does happen to anyone at anyime in any car and you did the right thing.

ahh-bert
08-06-2012, 11:41 AM
Wow - that was scary. I would have never followed up like you did. Hopefully he learned that not everyone is a cupcake like me and that actions have consequences. Sometimes it's like people think they can do whatever they want in their car and that no one will hold them accountable. What a jerk!

Wolfie
08-06-2012, 11:57 AM
Mr. Truck Driver is a dude with "Little Man" syndrome ... (like most of them)

ScorpionSkins.com
08-06-2012, 12:43 PM
Interesting story, thanks for sharing. I'm sorry to read he wasn't properly punished yet I'm sure he'll eventually get what's coming to him should he continue. The fact that he dodged into the bar (probably to hide his drunk driving) means this wasn't his first rodeo with reckless driving or the cops. The important thing is that no one got hurt.

I encounter road rage or reckless driving daily with my current vehicle. I've become so used to driving on European roads that North American roads seem completely nonfunctional to me. People will often cruise in the passing lane (as I'm sure many of you encounter) or drive recklessly in general (drive too slow when they shouldn't, drive too fast when uncalled for, fail to signal, etc.). I find many people who witness my driving style are under the impression I am out to prove something or challenging them. The truth is quite the opposite. I'd always just like for them to move out of the way or put a larger distance between their vehicle and mine.

I've always found there's too much ego on North American roads and not enough intelligence or skill.

500ways
08-06-2012, 01:23 PM
Kudos to you for standing your ground! The loser who did that to you sounds like a tooth-sucking drunk living a pitiful existence.

desmomini
08-06-2012, 03:30 PM
I'm very surprised and happy to report that there may be a happy ending to this story.

Driving past the bar in question today at 3 pm, I noticed the same truck parked in the same spot. My curiosity got the better of me - I dashed home, grabbed a ball cap and sunglasses, and jumped in the other car for a reconnaissance mission. Arriving back at the bar, I walked inside.....to see an empty bar.

So someone didn't make it home with his vehicle.

Now, Mr. Truck Driver did not strike me as the type who'd be conscientious enough to call a cab so as not to endanger the public.

I recalled that the officer on the scene was phoning back to the station for information, and I heard him use the term, "Revoked."

I suspect that my officer realized it'd be shooting fish in a barrel to return to the bar at 1:55 am and wait 5 minutes for F150 guy to get in his jalopy and turn the key in the ignition. Bam! DUI, license revoked, expired registration, no inspection, etc.

Ah, that feels better....

Dwaynek
08-06-2012, 04:18 PM
Damn he doesn't care much about his vehicle!

ScorpionSkins.com
08-06-2012, 04:29 PM
I'm very surprised and happy to report that there may be a happy ending to this story.
Ah, that feels better....

Wonderful. :)

Justice is served! Your actions may have prevented this man from putting someones life in danger at some point in the future.

sjmst
08-06-2012, 04:37 PM
Good. Loser. And his truck suks.

Wolfie
08-06-2012, 05:29 PM

FTY
08-06-2012, 06:20 PM
LOVE IT! Great job by you and the constable. :eagerness: :eagerness:

cmj912
08-06-2012, 06:58 PM
I'm happy to hear 'he got his'. I was struck by a drunk driver on New Year's Eve in college and the less of them about, the better.

I'm also glad to know your attempt to get a little karmic justice went through without confrontation. As I've mentioned before, people have become aggressive driving around me and I'm not the confrontational type. Unsettling especially if you have kids or pets in the car. It used to happen when I had the Honda Fit, too.

I have to relate a cute story in the positive:
I was getting dirty looks at a gas station in Massachusetts the other day filling up alongside an X5. His eyes narrowed as he watched my car get to about $32 to fill and then click off - as he went up to $80. He said something under his breath.
Just then a woman jumped out of her Camry and ran over to my car, saying with a beautiful pronounced foreign accent:
"I hope you don't mind my bothering you but I see these cars everywhere and I must have one. What does it cost?"
So I told her they can be had both north and south of $15,500 and she clapped loudly and exclaimed -
"And...did it just cost you only $32 to fill the tank? Oh yes I must have one!"
The BMW guy was staring at us as she walked away.
I gave him a big smile and drove away.

Pronto
08-07-2012, 02:03 AM
:confusion:Well, I was concerned about this with a small, cool car, and had my first run-in last night.

I came up to a red light to make a right turn onto a four lane road. In front of me was the most clapped-out Ford F150 I've ever seen...the rusty tailgate was held in place with ratcheting canvas tie-down straps, the exhaust was barely hanging on, etc. He turned right and got into the right lane, and proceeded well under the speed limit. I got into the left lane and gave the car some gas to get around him. As the front of my car neared the back of his door, he whipped his wheel hard to come fully into my lane, forcing me into the center turning lane, which was, fortunately, empty at the time. I gunned the car to get around him and back into the left lane - I assumed if I fell in behind him, he would brake check me. He drifted back into the right lane, gave me a smug smile, and took off quickly down the road.

Thanks to the hands-free Blue and Me, I was able to call 911 and report him. I followed behind at a distance. He pulled into a subdevelopment, made a few turns, and wound up in a cul-de-sac. I pulled over to continue the call and give the exact street location, when Mr. Truck driver jumped out and approached my car, asking, "What's up???" I rolled down the window just long enough for him to hear that I was conversing with a dispatcher, and he turned and jumped back into his heap. He pulled out of the subdivision and straight into the parking lot of a bar.

Pulling onto the next street over, I was able to spy him getting out and entering the bar. The police arranged to meet me in the parking lot (Note - it was a very large parking lot, and I remained idling on the other side.)

When the constable arrived, I explained the situation. He cautioned me that with no damage and no eyewitnesses, it would be a "he-said/he-said" situation that would likely have no formal resolution. I told him that was fine with me - perhaps the experience of a police officer entering the bar and questioning Truck Driver would dissuade him from doing this again in the near future. "Oh, I think it will have that effect," said the officer.

The policeman entered the bar, and marched Mr. F150 into the lot to produce his I.D. and ask questions. The process took over 5 minutes, until the officer told him he was free to go. The policeman came over to me and told me the situation was exactly as we predicted - the guy had a different story (saying I cut him off and he gave me the finger.) The policeman told me the man appeared intoxicated, but he couldn't prove he was when he was operating the vehicle or how long he'd been in the bar (again, with just my testimony, that is,) and that he could write up a report, but it would probably be a court stalemate. I told him, again, that I was just appreciative he could give the guy a talking-to and hopefully influence his future behavior.

I detest road rage incidents. I also hate that I've been a recipient when I've driven small, cool cars, but never when i've been in behemoth SUVs. Hate the feeling that there's that kind of psychological influence to conform. Also very shaken up by the whole thing.

Justice sure is sweet but in my humble opinion, you dodged a huge bullet! Either you are a big guy who people dont fight back with or you just got real lucky! I was shot at during a similar situation and this was 24 years ago! These days with skin heads and lunatic school shooters you take a huge risk following someone. He could have just slammed the truck in reverse and smashed into your car, disabling it and then the fireworks would begin. In my humble opinion, it wasn't worth the risk. Please be careful desmomini! I want to be reading your posts on this forum for years to come.....I am not a wimp, and I stand up for myself and others when it counts, believe me, but road rage is not the battle hill I want to die on.

stevenvillatoro
08-07-2012, 04:28 AM
Well done. Glad you weren't hurt, glad you did the right thing, and glad that you were able to witness some justice.

desmomini
08-07-2012, 08:28 AM
Still there this morning...

paook
08-07-2012, 08:44 AM
Aww...and there's still air his the tires? :gorilla:

FiatPhil
08-07-2012, 09:40 AM
It would be too bad if his coil wire were missing so he couldn't start his truck just as you whizzed by.....lol.

Mike S
08-07-2012, 10:29 AM
Truck must be unlocked to open the hood.

In the old days when I was upset I would switch a spark plug lead with the coil lead on the cap. Very hard to find and the vehicle seems to be OK because one cylinder is firing and the car sounds like it wants to start.

Bladecutter
08-07-2012, 03:36 PM
Still there this morning...

Personally I would leave a note:

"Drunk Driving and road rage don't mix.
Next time, don't be a dirtbag while driving down the road, and you won't get the cops called on you, you moron."

BC.

paook
09-02-2012, 01:24 PM
I've now had a similar experience. A few mornings in a row in my commute, a red pickup would turn onto the road behind me. The driver proceeded to speed and try and get in front of me before the two lane road becomes one lane & curvy. He almost ran a bicyclist over on the last morning I saw him. Typical flashing of the brights, riding bumpers, etc to say 'get out of my way'. So desperate to be 'the leader of the pack' that he passed a few cars simultaneously in the tight blind curves of the one-lane section.

Jim McKenzie
09-02-2012, 02:11 PM
I think you handled it very well, and like several others happy no one got hurt.

The police track these sort of calls, on both ends: you hav a note on your record that you made the call, and he has one that a call was made. This will come into play if he has another road rage incident in the future...it'll show that someone else (you) had a prior incident and the police will talk to the guy for more than a few minutes the next time. Anyway, well done!

500normal
09-02-2012, 02:21 PM
times like these when i pull out my shotgun and show him the handle lol .... right to bear arms in texas baby lol...

Jeepnut
09-02-2012, 03:19 PM
times like these when i pull out my shotgun and show him the handle lol .... right to bear arms in texas baby lol...

Will a gun rack fit in a Fiat 500 LOL!!!!
I had a similar story a few years ago I was working back in my hometown of Greensboro NC and I was heading home from spending the day with a good friend of mine when we ended up behind aN empty school bus driving VERY Eradically and I mean way worse than any drunk I have ever seen. We were behind him for a couple miles before I got fed up and called the cops. I did about the same thing I stayed on the phone with the dispatcher while I followed him all the way back to my old high school!!!!! All the time he was drifting into the oncoming traffic lane and hopping the curbs constantly. My first thought was either this guy is trashed or having some serious medical issues either way something has to be done. I followed him all the way back to my old high school and parked about 20 ft behind him (I ain't skeered lol). The officer finally shows up 15 mins after the guy parked the bus(and was still roaming around inside it) talked to me then went and talked to the driver for like 2 minutes. The officer then comes back to me and tells me he talked to the driver and the driver said he was OK and hadn't been drinking and that was good enough for him. I not so politely told the cop thanks for doing your job dude and drove off!!

grippymonkey
09-06-2012, 08:21 PM
I feel like our cars are pretty easy targets. I live in LA so road rage and the likes are a daily thing, but I feel like I've had the worst experiences so far in a very short time with my Fiat. They see a small bright-red slow Economy car coming along, and they don't even think twice about cutting you off. I've had a couple near misses just minded my own business. Lucky for me and my Fiat I pay attention to everything around me, and I was able to make the moves needed.

On a side note I had a truck driver blatantly cut me off and nearly hit the side of my car while pinching me between the curb on the other side. I honked and he through his arms up like "forget you"... I pulled up next to him at the next block, and he jokingly said "cute car". I was super angry and not going to say all what I said, but that kind of stuff is insane to me. Possibly damaging or injuring someone just because you can makes you a terrible person.

Wolfie
09-06-2012, 10:22 PM
On a side note I had a truck driver blatantly cut me off and nearly hit the side of my car while pinching me between the curb on the other side. I honked and he through his arms up like "forget you"... I pulled up next to him at the next block, and he jokingly said "cute car". I was super angry and not going to say all what I said, but that kind of stuff is insane to me. Possibly damaging or injuring someone just because you can makes you a terrible person.

We should install door mounted missiles on our Fiat to blow dudes in their trucks sky high :cool: