PDA

View Full Version : ESC and ABS lights on

toddr124
08-03-2012, 09:33 AM
Turned of the ESC yesterday and now the ESC will not come on. The dash says ESC unavailable; ABS unavailable; hill assist unavailable.

I disconnected the battery for an hour it did not rest the lights. The manual says see the dealer. I am 5 hours from the dealer.

Any thoughts?

luckymoi
08-03-2012, 12:42 PM
Got an obd tool?
And secondly... call Ciao fiat.. be patient they actually want to help.

what is date of build, date of delivery?
I don't know if Abarth is different from other cars or not, which do you have?
I have not fiddled with ESC. Have not used hill assist
I have lounge/automatic.
I KNOW. there are bugs... autoplay for example.
Someone on this forum will help I think.

Pinecone
08-03-2012, 01:43 PM
Sounds like a failed speed sensor. Call your studio and make an appointment.

08-03-2012, 08:13 PM
Check those fuses ;)

toddr124
08-04-2012, 05:59 PM
Check those fuses ;)

Swapped fuses. It is really hard to get to some of those fuses and why are there 3 different size fuses. This did not solve the problem.

I will make an appointment on Monday.

toddr124
08-06-2012, 04:58 PM
Sounds like a failed speed sensor. Call your studio and make an appointment.

We have a winner. Took my car to the dealer and the passenger side speed sensor had failed. They say the part will be in tomorrow. They gave me a loaner car until mine is fixed. I wanted to just drive back tomorrow for the repair, but it is a "safety" issue to drive the car without ABS.

Pinecone
08-07-2012, 05:03 AM
Glad to hear they are getting it fixed.

an02wrx
08-18-2013, 05:21 PM
Has anyone else ever had this issue? I believe this happened to my car last night. I have the exact symptoms.

White Abarth
08-18-2013, 09:07 PM
Has anyone else ever had this issue? I believe this happened to my car last night. I have the exact symptoms.

It was one of the wheel sensors failing in this case that caused the problem. Without a reliable sensor signal, the computer can't tell if a particular wheel is rotating or stopped and at what speed it's turning. If the computer tried to fake it, you'd end up flying off the road into a tree or something so the system simply turns off the ABS, ESC and hill decent and let's you drive old school.

If you recently drove through some mud, ran over something in the road, or had a wheel off for some work, it's possible a sensor wire was knocked loose or the sensor pickup is covered with crud. If not, then one might have just gone bad as it did here. It's covered under your warranty.

an02wrx
08-18-2013, 11:58 PM
I get the speed sensor part. This may or may not have happened after doing a little e brake slide/ burnout. While bad for the tires, it shouldn't bother the ESC enough to make it malfunction :(

msjulie33
08-19-2013, 12:21 AM
Double post! Forum bug :)

msjulie33
08-19-2013, 12:22 AM
We have a winner. Took my car to the dealer and the passenger side speed sensor had failed. They say the part will be in tomorrow. They gave me a loaner car until mine is fixed. I wanted to just drive back tomorrow for the repair, but it is a "safety" issue to drive the car without ABS.

Had a sensor fail on my dad's VW GTI (1997) cost me $35 and swapped it myself but it was a mild pita- some of us remember when cars didn't get ABS and if available, extra cost item! :) Safety issue... lawyers I guess...

Glad it's handled.

Tweak
08-19-2013, 10:31 AM
Double post! Forum bug :)

Yes it is, it is known and hopefully will be working normally soon.

Michael T
09-12-2016, 05:58 PM
Bumping this because my car is doing the same thing. I go to the dealership Wednesday and will update.

Michael T
09-14-2016, 12:21 PM
Bumping this because my car is doing the same thing. I go to the dealership Wednesday and will update.

Verified!