PDA

View Full Version : Firmware updates

jguerdat
08-01-2012, 09:05 AM
Is there a way to track firmware updates, both those previously released as well as new introductions? It'd be great to know when something new is available other than to find out only when servicing at the dealer. What's in these updates would also be interesting to know, also.

Pinecone
08-01-2012, 09:46 AM
TSBs are listed in this section: http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/forumdisplay.php?41-Service-Info

TSBs include all service bulletins, including software upgrades.

FiatCares
08-01-2012, 02:59 PM
Is there a way to track firmware updates, both those previously released as well as new introductions? It'd be great to know when something new is available other than to find out only when servicing at the dealer. What's in these updates would also be interesting to know, also.

As Pinecone suggested, TSBs and RRT's are public and can be looked up on the brand sites or on general search engines. The only problems with software updates, like that of the PCM, is that there ARE NOT retroactive, in case the "next update" doesnt improve the functionality of the vehicle.

jguerdat
08-01-2012, 03:52 PM
Yeah I wasn't referring to TSBs but "general" updates that get applied to the computer. Our Volvo has been updated a few times in the two years we've had it but I have no idea what's changed.

Btw, I've never heard of RRTs - what are they?

FiatCares
08-01-2012, 04:05 PM
Yeah I wasn't referring to TSBs but "general" updates that get applied to the computer. Our Volvo has been updated a few times in the two years we've had it but I have no idea what's changed.

Btw, I've never heard of RRTs - what are they?

Sorry, RRT stands for Rapid Response Transmittal. Kinda like TSB's. General software updates applied to the BCM or PCM are also non retroactive..

Pinecone
08-02-2012, 06:46 AM
I will have to ask my colleague, who is a serious Volvo guy, but in the BMW world updates are always referred to in a TSB. Some are applied to all cars at the next service, and some only to cars that come in with a specific problem.

But the amount of detail is typically lacking. Sort of, "this update solves a problem with engine management." REALLY helpful. :)

cmj912
08-02-2012, 08:37 AM
Sometimes they are descriptive, sometimes they are not. For instance, the RTT that was done to my car last time referred to installing a different type of plug in the cowl panel to help, apparently, with water drainage under the hood.

I did have an ECM update at the last one also that didn't say what or why.

The latest RTT was called #OWNERAPP and didn't contain a description.

I would beg to differ that the RTTs are available through general search engines. If you search FIAT USA RTT you get advertisements for Sparco wheels.