PDA

View Full Version : Tire pressure for Track Days

geeded
07-27-2012, 03:41 PM
Howdy,

I'm going to the track day/school next week at VIR sponsored by the FLU Freakout. My Abarth is stock except for a short shifter and I'll be running the 17" rims with the stock tires.

My question is what tire pressures should I be running? I assume higher than stock but has anyone done this yet and know, or have a working knowledge/experience? I'd appreciate some guidance.

Secondly, I went out on some secondary roads and tried the anti-locks from various speeds and the car feels like it starts to dart left, requiring a minor correction, before settling down. Anyone else tried this?

Thanks in advance since I'm sure I won't be the last to do this :tan:

Cheers

stealthy1ss
07-27-2012, 06:00 PM
I have 16's and ran 38 in the front and 35 in the back at RA. One thing that I have found out with this car is that you need to ease into the brakes with this car or else the rear gets loose fast and will want to come around if the brakes are pressed too hard too fast. Finally completly turn off the ESC. I have found that if it is partially turned off the car struggles to exit corners due to the brakes acting as a limited slip. Just modulate the throttle to prevent wheel spin.

Shagnwrx
07-27-2012, 11:46 PM
Another "ESC all the way off" thought... In autocross, I used ESC partial off (single push of the ESC button) leaving the TTC engaged. After a single 40 or so second run, I can smell brake... At a track day, I'd think the rotors would be glowing red if TTC was engaged... So I'd say ESC all the way off (Push and hold ESC button for 10 seconds until you hear the beep).

Thomas
07-28-2012, 11:36 AM
A mechanical LSD would be nice when throttling through the corners with ESC completely disengaged.

adiazjr15
08-03-2012, 09:02 PM
Geeded:

I have the stock 16 in. rims with race tires. I ave run two All out track days with my Abarth 500 with an upgraded ECU. I am an experienced race driver with a lot of experience in front wheel drives. I kept my tires at: Front-28psi Back- 34psi. I like the car to rotate (oversteer), and so I raised the rear psi, next time I'll go 36psi Instead. If you have street tires, and 17 in. I would keep then at 32-34psi even if it does understeer a little to ensure I don't burn a terrific set of tires. keep rears at 34psi, not less unless it oversteers too much. Be watch full of the tire sidewall, and if it wears past the edge of the tread, and raise in 2psi increments, and if it does not reach the end of the tread, and then decrease in 2psi increments, and the car will handle better and you will be quicker.

Enjoy!