PDA

View Full Version : Rear wiper issue

paook
07-27-2012, 08:56 AM
I've seen others complain about the weak dribble of the rear wiper fluid onto the window, but don't see a thread specifically for it.

So, I was accelerating from a stop at a light yesterday. Fairly hard acceleration, but not Bat Out of Hell. I noticed the wiper fluid start dripping down the rear window in my mirror! About a dozen drops rolled down the window. It wasn't water because we've had a good dry spell here in my neck of the woods for the last week or so, and I park indoors. Car hasn't been washed in half a week. I scared Dante to the point of wetting himself, I guess.

jguerdat
07-27-2012, 09:10 AM
Same thing here. Seems to be more prevalent when it's hot out (liquid expanding?). Doesn't seem to do it all the time, just once to clear things out and then nothing.

Felnus
07-27-2012, 09:13 AM
Yes it is a known problem with 500s. They have bladder control issues.

cmj912
07-27-2012, 09:20 AM
Sometimes I feel like throwing up when it is this hot out, too.

Ronen
07-27-2012, 10:27 AM
Same here, it happen every now and then. in the begging :concern:i thought that i was pushing the back wiper leaver in the car... NOT

darthchu
07-27-2012, 10:48 AM
just over 1400 miles and the bladder control issues still occurring.
i asked about the problem when i purchased the car and the dealer told me they heard of it but there wasn't a fix yet.
why is such a simple thing taking FIAT so long to resolve?!

jguerdat
07-27-2012, 02:03 PM
At least it's not like my C30 which disconnected the hose so I was pumping water into the rear body. Noticed it dripping from a joint between plastic trim pieces...

NeroAbarth
07-31-2012, 05:47 PM
Mine did it as a newborn, but now with nearly 1000 miles on it the problem has disappeared. He's finally learned to control himself.

paook
07-31-2012, 11:10 PM
I've got about 2,500 miles on Dante, and he still wets himself.

DCAbarth
08-02-2012, 11:10 PM
I had the leaky issue for the first few weeks, but it seems to have dissipated a bit now. I'm hoping it continues to stopping completely :) I just realized I have never used the rear sprayer though, I wonder if it needs to be primed a bit? Maybe there's air in the line initially or something.

stevenvillatoro
08-02-2012, 11:34 PM
Mine •seems• to have stopped leaking – time will tell.

It could be that the washer fluid level is too high. I've suggested several times that someone simply try taking some fluid out of the reservoir, and see if that fixes the problem. But nobody yet has reported having given my idea a try.

I guess there's more joy in complaining!

SeaDawg
08-03-2012, 01:16 AM
I guess there's more joy in complaining!

By jove I think he's GOT it!:onthego:

Robert Nixon
08-17-2012, 08:50 PM
The Madness folks even have a rear wiper delete kit, so that's ONE way to take care of it!

johniew398
08-17-2012, 09:42 PM
Mine just went over 2,000 miles today. I noticed the leak when I first got it; but, haven't seen it drip in several weeks.

Rick Hunter
08-18-2012, 01:55 AM
Mine's got incontinence too. Never activated it yet though. Happens when I accelerate quickly.

Abarth Five O
09-04-2012, 10:54 PM
Mine drips too. I'll see how it goes after a few weeks. If it persists, I'll take it to the dealer for a fix. If that fails and it still irritates me, I'll buy the Madness delete kit.

09-05-2012, 08:24 AM
Bit of crazy glue over the nipple will fix the drip! Then you can keep the wiper ;)

Giuseppe
09-05-2012, 10:47 PM
Just wait until your rear wiper starts coming on at random like mine. Just never at the dealer...

BellaFiat
09-11-2012, 08:56 AM
Mine stopped leaking at least a month ago, and it's my DD. I think it was either filled too high or it somehow works itself out, if that even makes sense.

All I know is that it seems to be not leaking any longer. Never really bothered me in the grand scheme of things that COULD be wrong. Although, it would annoy me when it would happen right after I washed and detailed the car. Grrrrrrr.

Robert Nixon
09-11-2012, 01:53 PM
Just wait until your rear wiper starts coming on at random like mine. Just never at the dealer...

just to check, does it only come on randomly when you are in Reverse? I read elsewhere on the forum that the car is designed to do this when the front wipers are on and you shift into R, the rear wipers come on automatically.

Giuseppe
09-17-2012, 10:44 AM
just to check, does it only come on randomly when you are in Reverse? I read elsewhere on the forum that the car is designed to do this when the front wipers are on and you shift into R, the rear wipers come on automatically.

I heard the same. But I verified the wipers are off when this occurs.

bryanintowson
09-17-2012, 02:24 PM
my rear wiper seep has almost stopped. still get it once in a while but not every day like this summer.

maybe it's related to hot weather?

EliRider
09-17-2012, 04:57 PM
Mine still leaks...
8,000+ miles

I'm fearful that the water will seep into the inside hatch area and someday may cause further damage. There is still an open corporate file open on this issue with no updates yet.

In the meantime, I went down to the pet fish store and purchased an inexpensive check valve and installed it just before the nozzle. The nozzle does not have a check value but it seems that the hose near the nozzle has a hard section which must be the check valve. Still waiting for a permanent solution from Fiat. This did seem to fix the issue for now but causes slightly higher water pressure than desired.

I may consider the rear window washer delete option but in Oregon...

Abarth Five O
09-17-2012, 06:38 PM
Mine drips too. I'll see how it goes after a few weeks. If it persists, I'll take it to the dealer for a fix. If that fails and it still irritates me, I'll buy the Madness delete kit.

Mine hasn't leaked in a few weeks. Had my studio service check it out. They said the valve was designed that way to relieve excess pressure. Oh well...we'll see if their answer sticks.

Pinecone
09-17-2012, 09:46 PM
Posts over on the other 500 forum indicate that there is a check valve inside the nozzle assembly. :dunno:

EliRider
09-17-2012, 11:36 PM
I have gone thru 2 nozzles.
And no check valve in either nozzle.
I ran a piece of string thru the entire nozzle and there is a clear path.

Posts over on the other 500 forum indicate that there is a check valve inside the nozzle assembly. :dunno:

Pinecone
09-18-2012, 07:41 AM
Interesting.

I will have to find the thread and cutaway drawing

jguerdat
09-18-2012, 08:40 AM
FWIW, I find mine leaks when it's hot out. Haven't noticed it when cool...

FiatCares
09-18-2012, 10:42 AM
my rear wiper seep has almost stopped. still get it once in a while but not every day like this summer.

maybe it's related to hot weather?

Thats what was originally thought, but it still seems to be affecting some client's vehicles. Engineering has been slow in getting back to me on this one...

bryanintowson
09-18-2012, 11:14 AM
Thanks for staying on top of this for us, Jon. Even tho little Dante has had his share of issues, I can say without hesitation that my customer experience with FIAT/Chrysler has been way better than with Honda/Acura.

They all said I was crazy to go from an Acura TSX to a FIAT 500... ok maybe a little. But where's the fun in driving boring cars?!

http://jalopnik.com/5938235/photoshopped-grille-swaps-reveal-how-all-modern-cars-look-the-same/gallery/1

09-18-2012, 11:21 AM
This was a common problem on the BMW ZM Coupe. I remember it getting recalled eventually and a nozzle fitted with a check valve installed. This is the same problem for the Abarth and the worst scenario for it to happen are warmer air temps and "spirited" acceleration and/or cornering! Basically in technical terms... water just pisses out!!!

FiatCares
09-18-2012, 12:18 PM
Thanks for staying on top of this for us, Jon. Even tho little Dante has had his share of issues, I can say without hesitation that my customer experience with FIAT/Chrysler has been way better than with Honda/Acura.

They all said I was crazy to go from an Acura TSX to a FIAT 500... ok maybe a little. But where's the fun in driving boring cars?!

http://jalopnik.com/5938235/photoshopped-grille-swaps-reveal-how-all-modern-cars-look-the-same/gallery/1

Appreciate the kind words.. glad I have made a difference. Im always here to help; just wish I had an answer for you on this thread.. if there is ever a delay with my response, its mostly because I find myself waiting for a reply from Engineering or Marketing or Public Relations etc to not only get an answer, but one that the company finds politically correct :)

luckymoi
09-18-2012, 01:21 PM
Known issue... in those which aren't cabrio's