PDA

View Full Version : Need info for autocross

jguerdat
07-26-2012, 06:40 PM
Seems like a lack of info available to start making decisions for setting the car up for autocross. In particular, I'd like to know more about suspension settings possible. Official stock alignment specs would be very useful as well as what's actually adjustable - is it fully adjustable like my S2000 or is it like a Civic where toe is adjustable and anything else is "check for bent or worn parts"?

Any detail is appreciated...

stealthy1ss
07-26-2012, 07:34 PM
The Abarth has -1.5 degrees of camber in the front from the factory. The rear is not adjustable because it has a rear twisting beam. In stock classes you are allowed to have a catback exhaust and the choice of a front or rear swaybar.

Fiat500USA
07-27-2012, 01:06 AM
Seems like a lack of info available to start making decisions for setting the car up for autocross. In particular, I'd like to know more about suspension settings possible. Official stock alignment specs would be very useful as well as what's actually adjustable - is it fully adjustable like my S2000 or is it like a Civic where toe is adjustable and anything else is "check for bent or worn parts"?

Any detail is appreciated...

Here are the alignment specs I published in a story I did last month. (http://www.fiat500usa.com/2012/06/fiat-500-and-500-abarth-wheel-alignment.html)

jguerdat
07-27-2012, 08:27 AM
The Abarth has -1.5 degrees of camber in the front from the factory. The rear is not adjustable because it has a rear twisting beam. In stock classes you are allowed to have a catback exhaust and the choice of a front or rear swaybar.

Thanks for the rear info - didn't know that. I've been autocrossing since 1974 and just want to know what I'm up against for stock class adjustments. It's very unfortunate that a shop manual isn't available, especially for this model. Hopefully, one will be available in the future so we have information at our fingertips.

jguerdat
07-27-2012, 08:29 AM
Here are the alignment specs I published in a story I did last month. (http://www.fiat500usa.com/2012/06/fiat-500-and-500-abarth-wheel-alignment.html)

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! Looks like I need to widen my search efforts. DO you happen to know if some form of shop manual (non-$200+) is forthcoming?

Pinecone
07-27-2012, 02:14 PM
Pretty much all modern cars do not have paper shop manuals available. Some are available as a CD/DVD, but many now are online and only available by subscription. And some are a bit expensive ($3000 per year).

I would suspect that this car is typical of strut suspensions, which means that toe is only adjustment. Hopefully Fiat has crash bolts available and approved for camber adjustment.

jguerdat
07-28-2012, 08:39 AM
There are a number of manufacturers that you can get consumer and/or pro grade shop manuals for. Check http://www.Helminc.com for Honda, Toyota, Ford and GM. My Volvo has no counterpart so I'm stuck going through the dealer or forums to get info which is the same as for Fiat, at least for the moment. I do have an SCCA racer friend who has a garage and has offered to let me peruse/print his Alldata subscription. Problem is, Fiat isn't yet offered although a phone call has told him that they just got the Fiat info and will be including it in the near future (I see that August is the next scheduled update).

I guess I need to crawl under the car (getting harder to do at 62) to check the attachments themselves for possible alignment capabilities. If someone can save me from doing that and provide the info directly, I'd much appreciate that!

Fiat500USA
07-28-2012, 10:20 AM
The Fiat 500 "Shop Manual" is available as an online subscription service through the Tech Authority, however it is geared towards professionals and the cost for the yearly service is cost prohibitive for most DIYer. You can, however, get a 3 day subscription for a reasonable amount and that would take care of small jobs, etc.

Link to the TechAuthority (https://www.techauthority.com/en-US/Pages/ItemListing.aspx?CatID=3092)

jguerdat
07-28-2012, 02:42 PM
Thanks - good to know!

Pinecone
07-29-2012, 02:47 PM
I don't see a 3 day on the link you posted.

1 hour - $11.75

1 day - $33.95

30 days - $250

1 year - $1800

jguerdat
07-29-2012, 05:51 PM
It's a bit confusing. The top link is for "03" days while the second link is for "30" days. The former is $30 and the latter is $250. Maybe you need to reload/refresh the page - the page may have changed?

Fiat500USA
07-29-2012, 09:39 PM
I just copied and pasted this off the site:

ProductID: TAUSER03DAY
Name: 3 Day Subscription to TechAuthority Online
USD $35.00

I didn't see the 1 hour service this time. I may have to search around for it.