PDA

View Full Version : Oil extraction pump????

Pronto
07-25-2012, 03:06 PM
Has anyone purchased their own oil extraction pump and have successfully drained the oil pan on your fiat 500 through the "dip stick"? If yes, please post the name of the pump you purchased. Thanks in advance!

Fiat500USA
07-25-2012, 04:41 PM
Yes, that is how I change mine. I use one made by Pela. I think the model is 8000? I'll check it out when I get a chance.

Mike S
07-25-2012, 06:02 PM
I use this one. http://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-7400-Liter-Fluid-Evacuator/dp/B000JFJM14/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1255804925&sr=1-1

Bought it for the boats but it works great on cars too. It won't get the last few drops but saves lots of time and effort.

Vaejovis carolinanus aka lowconabarth
07-25-2012, 08:58 PM
Yes, I use the topsider it's a old school gas can with a manual pump vac. Works like a champ,got it at northern tools under $50.

msjulie33
07-25-2012, 10:26 PM
Yes, I use the topsider it's a old school gas can with a manual pump vac. Works like a champ,got it at northern tools under $50.

not used mine on the Fiat yet but on a couple different VW's and a MINI and it works really well

SeaDawg
07-26-2012, 12:40 AM
I suspect it's the Pela 6000 (6.5 liter capacity). Suggested retail is $60.00 approx.. I did see one place with it for $45.xx plus $11.xx shipping to Florida for a total of $57.xx. I was shocked that Amazon wanted like $87.00 for it, or at least the vendor selling it did.

I suppose I'll have to order a 27mm Socket for the filter, if I want to DIY.

Pinecone
07-26-2012, 05:26 AM
I have the smaller MityVac and while I don't have my Fiat yet, it works great on all my other vehicles.

Over in the BMW world, a bunch of people claimed they did not get all the oil out, so someone did a test, and found the extractor got out more oil than than the drain plug. :)

Fazzster
07-26-2012, 08:39 AM
I have been using the Pela 8000 for 2 years now on my VW CC with great success. I don't have my FIAT yet but I am glad FIAT uses a top mount oil filter. No need to get under the car. Don't believe the people who say it does not get all the oil out. It does if you do it right and have a little patience. When you have extracted most of the oil you will have to manipulate the hose a little more by moving it up and down to help with the vacuum effect. Make sure the oil is good and warm but not hot so it flows better. Go for it!

Fiat500USA
07-26-2012, 11:34 AM
I have been using the Pela 8000 for 2 years now on my VW CC with great success. I don't have my FIAT yet but I am glad FIAT uses a top mount oil filter. No need to get under the car. Don't believe the people who say it does not get all the oil out. It does if you do it right and have a little patience. When you have extracted most of the oil you will have to manipulate the hose a little more by moving it up and down to help with the vacuum effect. Make sure the oil is good and warm but not hot so it flows better. Go for it!

You are exactly correct. I've used it on three cars and have pulled the drain plugs as a test. ALL the oil was out. In fact, there was even less dripping out of the drain hole than when I drained the oil in the more conventional way. If you are fussy, just maneuver the hose like Fazzster suggests.

tensleep
07-31-2012, 04:41 PM
I was lucky and got in on the extended care program, so I still have 23k miles of oil changes on the house. However, this old man is getting an oil extractor and filter wrench for Christmas this year!

Pronto
07-31-2012, 07:57 PM
I was lucky and got in on the extended care program, so I still have 23k miles of oil changes on the house. However, this old man is getting an oil extractor and filter wrench for Christmas this year!
You should be changing your own oil in between the free service appt. I believe they change your oil every 8,000 miles and IMO it should be every 4,000 at the most. That's a great Christmas present! My oil extractor arrives UPS next week! $99.00 shipping included! I got the filter and the 27mm socket and 12 inch ratchet extension and oil disposal box just waiting for the UPS delivery.

Pronto
07-31-2012, 08:02 PM
After extensive research I discovered that I can change my oil filter from above because I have an automatic transmission. Standard transmission 500's have to access the oil filter from underneath. This forum has a wealth of knowledge on oil changes!

deathshead
07-31-2012, 10:15 PM
After extensive research I discovered that I can change my oil filter from above because I have an automatic transmission. Standard transmission 500's have to access the oil filter from underneath. This forum has a wealth of knowledge on oil changes!

huh? What does the transmission have to do with anything? Its on the other side of the vehicle from the oil filter.

Pronto
08-01-2012, 01:24 AM
huh? What does the transmission have to do with anything? Its on the other side of the vehicle from the oil filter.
No idea why it makes a diffence! One of the posts on the 500 forum reported this information. It "may" be that it is the Abarth that does not have room to reach the oil filter from above because of the extra space taken up by the turbo charger, who knows????? Someone on this forum will have the answer, we have alot of mechanics familiar with the 500 on this forum. cheers!

deathshead
08-01-2012, 07:39 AM
No idea why it makes a diffence! One of the posts on the 500 forum reported this information. It "may" be that it is the Abarth that does not have room to reach the oil filter from above because of the extra space taken up by the turbo charger, who knows????? Someone on this forum will have the answer, we have alot of mechanics familiar with the 500 on this forum. cheers!

http://i47.tinypic.com/1zd6ge1.jpg

Please gather facts before posting hogwash.
The oil filter is in the same spot on the Abarth.

SeaDawg
08-01-2012, 08:42 AM

Ummmm, I HATE to tell you this, but on regular 500's the oil filter is in the same place on the engine regardless of transmission. Remove the engine cover and air filter box and it's readily accessible. Some people have managed to change filters without removing the air filter box. I don't own an Abarth but it sure looks tighter in that engine compartment, not to mention HOTTER. I'm sure someone here will probably be able to tell us that they are also able to change that one from above as well

Pronto
08-01-2012, 11:21 AM
http://i47.tinypic.com/1zd6ge1.jpg

Please gather facts before posting hogwash.
The oil filter is in the same spot on the Abarth.

First of all I did not say the oil filter was in a different place! I said you couldn't access it from above. Second, I also said I was relaying information from another poster on the forum. Third, I do not appreciate your attitude that comes through in your post and if you cant be civil, take your attitude and go to a different forum because we are all respectful here young man....

deathshead
08-01-2012, 12:20 PM
First of all I did not say the oil filter was in a different place! I said you couldn't access it from above. Second, I also said I was relaying information from another poster on the forum. Third, I do not appreciate your attitude that comes through in your post and if you cant be civil, take your attitude and go to a different forum because we are all respectful here young man....

You said "After extensive research" and posted info that was misleading, thats all. Sorry you got all bent out of shape over my humor.

Fiat500USA
08-01-2012, 01:54 PM
You said "After extensive research" and posted info that was misleading, thats all. Sorry you got all bent out of shape over my humor.
That post was a little rough. Let's not lose the conversation because of an errant remark. Thanks guys!

Fiat500USA
08-01-2012, 02:16 PM

That is what happens when you get info from that other forum! LOL OK, I couldn't resist that.

But seriously, we are all here to learn, discuss and figure things out, no problem. I am constantly learning new things everyday here from everyone. It is all part of the process.

Pinecone
08-02-2012, 06:27 AM
Sorry, but saying you have done extensive research, when you read it in ONE other place, opens you for things like this.

Next time just say, "I read on the other forum..."

Pronto
08-02-2012, 11:37 AM
Sorry, but saying you have done extensive research, when you read it in ONE other place, opens you for things like this.

Next time just say, "I read on the other forum..."

I have a lot of respect for you pinecone and love your posts, but being less than accurate on a forum should not open yourself up to snotty remarks, I am surprised you are excusing that type of behavior! Cheers. I am always open to "correction" not sarcasm.

Pinecone
08-02-2012, 07:27 PM
Not excusing, but pointing out that making comments like that, without actually doing the research will get comments like were received. Fact of life.

Maybe not right, but it is the way it is.

Pronto
08-02-2012, 08:25 PM
Not excusing, but pointing out that making comments like that, without actually doing the research will get comments like were received. Fact of life.

Maybe not right, but it is the way it is.
I get your point. I respond to inappropriate behavior immediately and call the offender out on it. This is the way to improve people's behavior because silence gives people license to continue.

Pronto
08-03-2012, 03:43 AM
I get your point. I respond to inappropriate behavior immediately and call the offender out on it. This is the way to improve people's behavior because silence gives people license to continue.
Let's move on and continue enjoying why we are here. We are having fun with our new cars!

tensleep
08-16-2012, 11:43 AM
You should be changing your own oil in between the free service appt. I believe they change your oil every 8,000 miles and IMO it should be every 4,000 at the most. That's a great Christmas present! My oil extractor arrives UPS next week! $99.00 shipping included! I got the filter and the 27mm socket and 12 inch ratchet extension and oil disposal box just waiting for the UPS delivery.

Yeah, my studio maintenance department actually has me on the 4k interval, without me even asking. Shhhh!

Pinecone
08-16-2012, 12:02 PM
It depends. Many cars are on a 7,500 mile schedule on conventional oil and synthetic oils are good for at least double. Modern conventional oils are NOT the oils of the 60s, that needed 3,000 mile/3 month change intervals. And modern synthetics are even better.

BMW was on a 9,000 mile schedule back in the 90s with conventional oils.