PDA

View Full Version : Bad Gas

SiestaG
07-24-2012, 01:48 PM
This isn't an Abarth issue, but it is a sad story! Yesterday my wife surprised m by filling my Abarth with gas on hr way to picking me up (yes, I do let her drive it - gave up trying to stop her!). 93 Octane Shell gas from a busy local station. Car was very low!

2 blocks later, the car died! In gear and moving along, and the engine just died! No CEL, no warning, just died like it was starving of gas. I walked over and couldn't get it too start, so called Fiat Cars and 1/2 hour later a flat bed tow truck came and took it to my local Studio (Sunset Fiat).

Today, thy called to tell me it was bad gas, and it caused the fuel pump to also freeze up. $750 to drop, drain and clean the tank, clean out the lines, and replace the fuel pump. 2 or 3 days as they need to order the pump.

Went by the station and find that they have already closed off the 93 octane pumps. I wasn't the first to report a problem! Filed a claim with the local manager and they say (for now!) that they will take care of it. I also sent an mail to the regional office and to the national one, just to make sure it gets the proper attention. We did have a HUGE rain storm the day before (Florida summer!) so my guess is water got into the station's holding tank.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that the car comes back as good as new - which it is! I'll find out in a couple of days!

EugeneS
07-24-2012, 01:56 PM
Sorry to hear this... I hope everything will workout well for you.

SiestaG
07-24-2012, 03:59 PM
Looks like a happy ending is on its way. Station's insurance company just called - they'll pay the Studio directly and reimburse me for my gas. I have a back up car (driving the Smart again!) so didn't need to deal with that too!

Now let's just make sure the car comes back in as-new shape!

nojeebs
07-25-2012, 01:20 PM
Glad to hear it go resolved quickly! Get back in the Abarth asap! :-p

VTEC Mini
07-25-2012, 05:54 PM
I get bad gas too when I eat deviled eggs and drink beer...... Oh wait, wrong gas, sorry.....

Glad everything is going to work out! :)

Prima 109
07-25-2012, 08:04 PM
i get bad gas too when i eat deviled eggs and drink beer...... Oh wait, wrong gas, sorry.....

lol & tmi.

msjulie33
07-25-2012, 10:37 PM
Looks like a happy ending is on its way. Station's insurance company just called - they'll pay the Studio directly and reimburse me for my gas. I have a back up car (driving the Smart again!) so didn't need to deal with that too!

Now let's just make sure the car comes back in as-new shape!

wow nice to hear they did the right thing

07-26-2012, 07:23 AM
I get bad gas too when I eat deviled eggs and drink beer...... Oh wait, wrong gas, sorry.....

Surely the best cure for that kind of bad gas is a good blow off valve!!!

VTEC Mini
07-26-2012, 08:46 AM
Surely the best cure for that kind of bad gas is a good blow off valve!!!LOL! True because if you have a bad one you might get sludge build up!

toddr124
07-26-2012, 04:20 PM
Find out what was in the gas to make it bad. If it is water, do not sign a waiver that paying the Fiat bill is enough. Water can cause bent valves and other problems that might take time to show up. If it is particulate matter, find out what kind. This can also hurt an engine. You might want to report this to the state of Florida weights and measures division. This might help in the future if any other problems arise.

Yes I am a pessimist, but I work with almost all the states weights and measure divisions for gasoline quality (octane analysis). You should hear their stories.

SiestaG
07-26-2012, 06:25 PM
Find out what was in the gas to make it bad. If it is water, do not sign a waiver that paying the Fiat bill is enough. Water can cause bent valves and other problems that might take time to show up. If it is particulate matter, find out what kind. This can also hurt an engine. You might want to report this to the state of Florida weights and measures division. This might help in the future if any other problems arise.

Yes I am a pessimist, but I work with almost all the states weights and measure divisions for gasoline quality (octane analysis). You should hear their stories.

Thanks for the advice. The fact that it fried the fuel pump makes me wonder. Could it be too much ethanol? I have a sample of the gas and will have a long discussion with my studio tomorrow when I pick up the car.

SeaDawg
07-26-2012, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the advice. The fact that it fried the fuel pump makes me wonder. Could it be too much ethanol? I have a sample of the gas and will have a long discussion with my studio tomorrow when I pick up the car.

Probably almost 100% water that was pumped. Water will descend to the bottom of the storage tank and while the intakes for the pumps are not on the bottom of the tank, it means that there was a LOT of water introduced to the storage tanks.

SiestaG
07-26-2012, 09:01 PM
Oh well, so much for grasping at straws.

Berliner
07-26-2012, 09:18 PM
Glad 2 hear the Insurance Company did not give you the run around........... Glad the Abarth is fine...........

SiestaG
07-27-2012, 05:26 PM
End of story (I hope). Car seems to run fine - strong through all the gears and all the rpm ranges, sport and non-sport. I can't sense any hesitation or skipping any beats. They tell me it wasn't just water in the tank but some particulate matter too. Service record says:
"Removed Fuel Pump. Drained and cleaned out fuel tank, lines, and rail. Replaced fuel tank. Performed "Mopar" Fuel Injection Service [they told me they pulled and cleaned each injector, then ran fuel injector cleaner through them]. Replaced fuel pump. Added fresh fuel and road tested vehicle. Operating as per design now.
Total bill was 850.49 (586.78 lpabor, 127.95 parts, rest misc charges and tax) which is being sent directly to the insurance company. I didn't pay a dime and was never asked to sign a release or waiver or ??

Hopefully, it is the end of the story and I can finally install my MM box this weekend! :)

500normal
08-25-2012, 12:53 AM
man, that really sucks, Shell should do better than that, seeing as they have the highest gas prices... I hope you get your money back. but good luck, it took the governement months to get anything from BP after the oil spill, so I dont know if they are gonna be helpful ...

Pinecone
08-25-2012, 06:33 AM
Did you read the thread? The station's insurance company paid all the bills directly and reimbursed him for the tank of gas.