PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded downpipe.

deathshead
07-24-2012, 09:33 AM
Hi Guys, Has anyone seen or heard of anyone doing a upgraded not catted downpipe yet? I know TMC carries one for the Garrett turbo APE, and from what I have been reading this "should" fit.

Im curious to see if any companies are working on any exhaust upgrades yet.
just a down pipe usually makes a HUGE difference in performance, and on our cars the DP is short a simple so I could defintiley see this as a very affordable mod that will keep the turbo cooler, increase spoolup speeds due to increased flow and make the car sound even meaner.

*Disclaimer* - Can we please not have the Cat police chime in and recite laws* :) I think we all know about State-federal regulations, etc. But this does not apply to OFFROAD application.

ace51
07-24-2012, 10:08 AM
+1 I've been waiting for a US company to come out with a non-cat downpipe too, want to hear how it sounds, I wish there would be a US aftermarket parts dealer that is more performance oriented then selling keychains, stickers, leather crap and lambo door kits. The turbo lag is killing me pulling out of my inclined driveway into a 50MPH zone it really blows (no pun intended).

dummy
07-27-2012, 11:39 PM
you know, i would also be VERY interested if someone would put together a downpipe with a race cat (100cel). the race cat is not restrictive at all and you still get the benefits of having a cat and not needing to swap back to the stock DP for emissions...

FTY
07-30-2012, 03:23 AM
+1 i've been waiting for a us company to come out with a non-cat downpipe too, want to hear how it sounds, i wish there would be a us aftermarket parts dealer that is more performance oriented then selling keychains, stickers, leather crap and lambo door kits. The turbo lag is killing me pulling out of my inclined driveway into a 50mph zone it really blows (no pun intended).

yes!!!!

I have been going and forth with TMC about thier DP (CATLESS) and its so cost restrictive with shipping (about 120USD) to ship. The have a great product just wish shipping was more reasonable. Still on the fence about making the purchase!!

joeykunz
07-30-2012, 10:53 AM
Should make nice gains with a new DP with no cat. On srt-4s its worth a couple of HP. Whats the situation with the O2 simulator/CEL eliminator for the cat?

HF Stinger
07-30-2012, 11:03 AM
I can't pull my car out of commission, it's my DD. I do have a top notch fabricator that would jump on this immediately if we had a unit to build his jig from.

FTY
07-31-2012, 08:22 AM
I can't pull my car out of commission, it's my DD. I do have a top notch fabricator that would jump on this immediately if we had a unit to build his jig from.

In the same boat (DD)...from the bottom looks like a bit of wrenching to do..drop exhuast, heat shields and o2 sensors, then drop DP, looks a bit tight but doable.

GramCracker
07-31-2012, 10:44 AM
I wish there would be a US aftermarket parts dealer that is more performance oriented then selling keychains, stickers, leather crap and lambo door kits.

This part is killing me, I'm literally dying laughing. It's so true of that company.

Maybe if a few people ship downpipes/exhausts direct from TMC the costs for shipping would be less, as you all could split it.

ace51
07-31-2012, 11:24 AM
This part is killing me, I'm literally dying laughing. It's so true of that company.

Maybe if a few people ship downpipes/exhausts direct from TMC the costs for shipping would be less, as you all could split it.

... for real. TMC quoted me 50 GBP for shipping which actually isn't that bad considering its coming from across the pond, however I figured that for sure by now there would be a catless DP made in 'Merica

also GramCracker don't sell your car to Yoram! make him buy a new one!

deathshead
07-31-2012, 12:15 PM
... for real. TMC quoted me 50 GBP for shipping which actually isn't that bad considering its coming from across the pond, however I figured that for sure by now there would be a catless DP made in 'Merica

How much is the pipe itself? its not a very complicated piece. just a round garret flange and an elbow.

MADNESSMIKE
07-31-2012, 03:09 PM
mmmmmmmmm I have nothing official to add to this thread but I have heard rumblings around the shop that something maybe be coming.

GramCracker
07-31-2012, 03:16 PM

He might have to buy a new one, I think mine sold... :dispirited:

500MADNESS.com
08-01-2012, 12:31 PM
I wish there would be a US aftermarket parts dealer that is more performance oriented then selling keychains, stickers, leather crap and lambo door kits.

Sorry to hear you feel this way, but there is no need to slam our company simply because we chose to cater to the marketplace.

There are many folks that come to us for power upgrades, suspension upgrades and customizing and while they are here at our shop or on our online store they also decide to pick up a keychain or a custom Gear Shift Boot, Gear shift boot or some other accessory.

We do not think there is anything wrong with that and our goal is to provide something for everyone.

The reason you do not see many other vendors selling just the performance stuff is because financially it is not very profitable. There are not that many 500 cars out there at the moment and not that many owners that choose to modify their cars. There are some and we serve them, but if we were to only sell performance parts for the ABARTH and nothing else we would have to close our doors or drastically scale down our operation. It is the little stuff like keychains and gear shift boots that allows us to invest money in the fun stuff that we really enjoy like the performance parts for our cars.

All of us here at MADNESS modify our cars and enjoy bringing out all the new items, but at the same time we must pay our bills and honestly the demand for such items as rear floor mats (which we offer) is much greater then the demand for ABARTH Performance Upgrades.

Not trying to start any trouble or make anyone upset, but that is the reality of the business.

500MADNESS.com
08-01-2012, 12:33 PM
By the way...

The DownPipe from TMC will not fit our cars. We tested it.

We are working with them and others on other solutions.

500MADNESS.com
08-01-2012, 03:01 PM
A little more info for those of you that are looking for Performance Only and nothing else...

At the moment we are working with two soon to come FIAT Race Teams that are building their cars for competition. We are also working with them on development of other performance products (we will make separate threads on this at a later date).

You may also want to look up Pogea Racing. It is a company based out of Germany that has a focus on FIAT 500 ABARTH related performance products. There have been many, many write up on them and what they have done with the ABARTH.

We have formed a partnership with their company and have been jointly working on developing many performance products for the ABARTH. They will be available prior to years end to everyone in North America. A number of them are now in development and production. We have also expanded our facilities for this partnership to work properly.

Right now we are jointly testing a number of products (that we cannot reveal yet) and plan to have them released through Pogea Racing USA (www.PogeaRacingUSA.com). Pogea Racing USA is being set up as a dedicated company that is focused on performance for the FIAT 500 and FIAT 500 ABARTH. A dedicated online store is being launched. In addition, we are setting up a fabrication facility at our newly expanded location to further work on development of Pogea Racing parts with the German based company. Expect many, many things that will take your ABARTH to the next level.

We will be building Pogea Racing made to order cars and doing conversion on current vehicles. This will include bigger turbos, intercoolers, mapping, suspension, brakes, body kits and much more.

Right now we have hired additional staff (Tech) that have had experience in setting up track cars and have modified many other high end cars for performance gains and racing. We will continue to expand this portion of our business in the months ahead.

So if you are looking for a One Stop Shop for all FIAT related parts and accessories then look up 500 MADNESS. If you are a performance only minded individual and do not care about anything else then please keep an eye out for Pogea Racing USA.

FTY
08-01-2012, 03:59 PM
A little more info for those of you that are looking for Performance Only and nothing else...

At the moment we are working with two soon to come FIAT Race Teams that are building their cars for competition. We are also working with them on development of other performance products (we will make separate threads on this at a later date).

You may also want to look up Pogea Racing. It is a company based out of Germany that has a focus on FIAT 500 ABARTH related performance products. There have been many, many write up on them and what they have done with the ABARTH.

We have formed a partnership with their company and have been jointly working on developing many performance products for the ABARTH. They will be available prior to years end to everyone in North America. A number of them are now in development and production. We have also expanded our facilities for this partnership to work properly.

Right now we are jointly testing a number of products (that we cannot reveal yet) and plan to have them released through Pogea Racing USA (www.PogeaRacingUSA.com). Pogea Racing USA is being set up as a dedicated company that is focused on performance for the FIAT 500 and FIAT 500 ABARTH. A dedicated online store is being launched. In addition, we are setting up a fabrication facility at our newly expanded location to further work on development of Pogea Racing parts with the German based company. Expect many, many things that will take your ABARTH to the next level.

We will be building Pogea Racing made to order cars and doing conversion on current vehicles. This will include bigger turbos, intercoolers, mapping, suspension, brakes, body kits and much more.

Right now we have hired additional staff (Tech) that have had experience in setting up track cars and have modified many other high end cars for performance gains and racing. We will continue to expand this portion of our business in the months ahead.

So if you are looking for a One Stop Shop for all FIAT related parts and accessories then look up 500 MADNESS. If you are a performance only minded individual and do not care about anything else then please keep an eye out for Pogea Racing USA.

Happy you are teaming up with Pogea and have tested the TMC downpipe, glad I waited to buy it. Focusing on quality performance parts is looking like a must, and when the 2013s (Abarth) come out demand will be even greater to have a quality hi-performance parts avail.

500MADNESS.com
08-01-2012, 05:06 PM
Happy you are teaming up with Pogea and have tested the TMC downpipe, glad I waited to buy it. Focusing on quality performance parts is looking like a must, and when the 2013s (Abarth) come out demand will be even greater to have a quality hi-performance parts avail.

We are on it!

Dwaynek
08-01-2012, 08:30 PM
The guys at 500madness are great as I visited their shop and was quite impressed. While I personally would not want some of their items on my machine it is great they are able to get some of the European items here. Look forward to my trip to California in a couple of weeks so I could pop by and pick up some items for my Abarth.

DS Ocampo
08-06-2012, 07:25 AM
i have nothing but good things to say about 500 Madness. Everytime i call they are very helpfull and help you more than just try to sale pitch you on the phone....trying to plan a trip to get a blow off valve and i hope the downpipe by then installed...its my DD now that my R1 is sold

MAZ
08-09-2012, 05:57 PM
By the way...

The DownPipe from TMC will not fit our cars. We tested it.

We are working with them and others on other solutions.
Great news!!!
All of the products that I have purchased from you guys have been great!
I cannot wait for some cat options!
Keep up the great work Madness!

MAZ
08-10-2012, 03:20 PM
yes!!!!

I have been going and forth with TMC about thier DP (CATLESS) and its so cost restrictive with shipping (about 120USD) to ship. The have a great product just wish shipping was more reasonable. Still on the fence about making the purchase!!

Is it flanged for the US model turbo?

Crazy Otto
08-16-2012, 01:01 PM
agree this is neat mod. did it to many turbos over the yrs, the improvement in turbo/throttle response is immediate.
one option- remove stock unit, gut it- reinstall.
*for race course use or hi speed runs on mexican highways* got it!

MAZ
08-16-2012, 02:32 PM
agree this is neat mod. did it to many turbos over the yrs, the improvement in turbo/throttle response is immediate.
one option- remove stock unit, gut it- reinstall.
*for race course use or hi speed runs on mexican highways* got it!
Was thinking the same, but I am not sure that it will cause a CEL.?? anyone?
I don't want to destroy my cat if it going to wig-out the ECU.

BaasTurbo
08-18-2012, 08:42 AM
You'll need an OČ emulator for the second oxygen sensor, otherwise you'll definitely get a CEL and limp mode.

The DP for the Tributo Ferrari and the Abarth Punto Evo should fit, they have the same turbo as the US spec A500.

nerdalert
08-18-2012, 12:37 PM
Guys this car is still relatively new...if you want to shell out thousands for R&D and manufacturing for brand new parts, go right ahead. Otherwise, it takes a little time to get a new line of parts.

FTY
08-18-2012, 12:48 PM
I was told by 500 madness the TMC unit(downpipe) does not unfortunately work. They have beautiful stuff for the European abarth. I wish it would fit....their piggyback ECU I have is a dream!!!

Pinecone
08-19-2012, 08:32 AM
The TMC piggyback DOES work on our cars.

500 Madness sells them and has dyno tested them on US spec Abarths.

FTY
08-19-2012, 09:29 AM
The TMC piggyback DOES work on our cars.

500 Madness sells them and has dyno tested them on US spec Abarths.

I know it does...I have it..I wrote a review about it....Im speaking about the TMC DOWNPIPE!!!! Get in the game Mr.May.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01245/james-may_1245086c.jpg

Pinecone
08-19-2012, 06:03 PM
Reading and replying while asleep. :)

I read: "I wish it would fit....their piggyback ECU"

twingtx
08-21-2012, 05:39 PM
Do you guys realize that beside the cat converter itself, the Abarth has zero (0) not a single muffling device in the entire exhaust system? No resonators, no mufflers. All you have is the stock cat right out of the turbo for sound "muffling". If you run a cat delete on it, all you're going to hear the sound of the turbine wheel and it will be LOUD! Can you say...SRT4 sound? You would also get a lot of bangs, pops and flames out of the tailpipes. Your local authorities would not approve. Food for thought yo!

stealthy1ss
08-21-2012, 06:16 PM
Do you guys realize that beside the cat converter itself, the Abarth has zero (0) not a single muffling device in the entire exhaust system? No resonators, no mufflers. All you have is the stock cat right out of the turbo for sound "muffling". If you run a cat delete on it, all you're going to hear the sound of the turbine wheel and it will be LOUD! Can you say...SRT4 sound? You would also get a lot of bangs, pops and flames out of the tailpipes. Your local authorities would not approve. Food for thought yo!

The Abarth already does most of those things. It will not cause the car to gurgle and pop more than it already does because those things are controlled by the tune. What a catless dp will do that most will not like at all is cause rasp.

Here is what I am talking about.

http://youtu.be/yiVj5ow0H0w

Sounds like dog **** doesn't it?

deathshead
08-21-2012, 08:53 PM
There are many examples of T-Jet powered cars with decatted downpipes. some sound good some sound pretty bad,
However, the Multiair turbo is a different beast and sounds much different.

MAZ
08-21-2012, 09:18 PM

I see the all of the above as reasons why I wanted to de-cat!!
It will not be that much louder actually. We are talking 1.4L little dink turbo motors on tame fueling. It will crack and pop like mad, but flames? Your going to have to turn up the fueling before you get flames!

twingtx
08-22-2012, 12:40 AM
Good point on the 1.4L so "loud" is relative. I'm going to do some videos of night time flame throwing for you when I'm decatted. I guarantee without the cat, I will do 2 foot long flames on a hard 1st to 2nd shift.

Tom2.0
08-22-2012, 10:14 AM
And the downside is...?

MAZ
08-22-2012, 01:31 PM
Good point on the 1.4L so "loud" is relative. I'm going to do some videos of night time flame throwing for you when I'm decatted. I guarantee without the cat, I will do 2 foot long flames on a hard 1st to 2nd shift.
Please do!
On stock fueling?
lol.

MAZ
08-22-2012, 06:23 PM
TMC Downpipe Group buy is on!
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?6543-TMC-Motorsport-DE-CAT-Pipe-Group-buy! (http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?6543-TMC-Motorsport-DE-CAT-Pipe-Group-buy!http://)

Abarth67
09-13-2012, 11:39 AM
Has anyone installed ANY downpipe on a NAFTA Abarth yet? How was the installation? Did you have to remove the front bumper to do this or can you get to it from below? I am installing one this weekend and would like some pointers if there are any who have done it already. How hard is the bumper to remove?

twingtx
09-13-2012, 12:15 PM
Has anyone installed ANY downpipe on a NAFTA Abarth yet? How was the installation? Did you have to remove the front bumper to do this or can you get to it from below? I am installing one this weekend and would like some pointers if there are any who have done it already. How hard is the bumper to remove?

You DON'T have to remove the front bumper. You don't have to touch anything on the front end of the car. Just stuff around the downpipe area. Very easy job.

Top turbo bracket and heatshield come off to access the V-band clamp. You then remove the side shield covering the stock cat. Most of the shield bolts are M6 with 10mm head. Once the shields are off the dp/cat unit is totally accessible. 1 10mm nut to undo the v-band clamp up top and a couple at the bottom bolt the unit to the 2 bolt flanged downpipe. 8mm bolt with 13mm head below.

The most difficult step ( and it's not even difficult) is to maneuver the stock bulky cat out of the car after you unbolted it. It WILL come out if you find just the right position/rotation. The Fiat engineers left just enough room for you to pull it out. But it's like the little mind boggler twisted metal puzzle childhood toy you had when you were a kid. It takes a bit of patience.

Slap the new pipe on. It's not a hard job. The accessibility of the stuff on the Fiat makes you like working on cars again.

One thing to remember when undoing the V-band clamp. Because you might end up wasting a lot of time if you don't remember this tip:
When you pull the shield off, you'll go looking for the nut to undo the V-band. You'll see that the nut is facing the engine and there is no way to get a wrench in there. Well don't focus on that and go to the other ed of that nut and you'll find the head of the BOLT which is also M10. It's pointed towards the radiator. It's not visible but you can feel it. Put your 10mm driver there go counter clockwise and the v-band clamp will loosen up. Once it does, you can rotate the clamp and remove it.

Have fun dude!

Abarth67
09-13-2012, 01:29 PM
Thanks, that was exactly what I was looking for. Looks like I have something to do this weekend. ;)