PDA

View Full Version : side skirts coming off...

dummy
07-23-2012, 12:54 AM
after 3 days with the Abarth i noticed the side skirts which are attached with doubt stick foam tape coming off the side of the car just behind the front wheels.

this is seriously annoying as i had a factory body kit on my 2006 VW GTI which the side skirts are attached the same way that looks just as good today, 6 years later, as it did when i drove it off the lot.

anyone else having this issue? for the money, this should not be happening with this car.

EugeneS
07-23-2012, 01:34 AM
after 3 days with the Abarth i noticed the side skirts which are attached with doubt stick foam tape coming off the side of the car just behind the front wheels.

this is seriously annoying as i had a factory body kit on my 2006 VW GTI which the side skirts are attached the same way that looks just as good today, 6 years later, as it did when i drove it off the lot.

anyone else having this issue? for the money, this should not be happening with this car.

This is known and fixable issue, apparently it has something to do with how they attach it during transit. I had the skirt on the right side slightly coming off in front of rear wheel. Took it to the studio and they fixed it. I know this is annoying but it is what it is, once they'll fix it you'll forget about it, I did...

dummy
07-23-2012, 02:36 AM
it's just annoying that a brand new car would have this issue. it makes me wonder about the rest of the build quality.

i've been a diehard european car guy for years. not only would i only buy european cars, but they also had to be built over there. i am hoping that this is not the first of other build issues (as i have been reading other problems here on the forums...)

Pinecone
07-23-2012, 06:58 AM
Read the response again. It is NOT a BUILD issue. It is the way the strap the cars down on the rail car for transport. They were supposed to change the strapping method to stop this from occurring, but not everyone gets the word for a while.

Take it in, have them fix it, and obsess about something else. :)

dummy
07-23-2012, 08:25 AM
haha. okay. i'll find something else to be anal retentive about. just to ive you an idea, i refused to let the studio wash it before i left (too bad they had put that ceilocoat crap on it before i came in to buy it...the person who ordered it fell through)

for my golf R they were told to wait to take off the transport wrap until i got there and i watched them do the whole PDI before driving it home and detailing it myself...

Dwaynek
07-23-2012, 09:32 AM
Same issue on mine, had the studio repair it.

Mr. Pickles
07-23-2012, 09:42 AM
I fixed mine with a drill and dry wall screws.

trevc
07-23-2012, 10:37 AM
Coarse thread or regular?

FiatPhil
07-23-2012, 11:22 AM
Wing nuts and carriage bolts work well.

nyc eng
07-23-2012, 05:50 PM
when was yours built and shipped?

500ways
07-23-2012, 07:11 PM
Wing nuts and carriage bolts work well.

I like toggle bolts myself.

07-23-2012, 07:44 PM
I like toggle bolts myself.

Try some nice big G clamps, can then take them off and reuse them when you sell the car. A cheaper method, hammer and nails!

jkielfoto
07-24-2012, 04:28 PM
Try some nice big G clamps, can then take them off and reuse them when you sell the car. A cheaper method, hammer and nails!

I can't believe no one has suggested duct tape - handyman's best friend, ya know?

FTY
07-24-2012, 05:01 PM

LOL...awesome!!