PDA

View Full Version : Beware of Paper thin leather seats

Thomas
07-13-2012, 08:22 PM
I apologize if this has been posted previously. I noticed little bits of the driver's side leather seat start to fray and come off. I have a smart phone belt holster, and it is rubbing on the butter soft leather....especially when I get in and out of the car. If I remember, I now move the phone holster away before getting in. I would gladly have paid for a more durable leather seat. Nice when it's new though.

luckymoi
07-13-2012, 09:57 PM
What also helps is to slide the seat all the way back in the track when you get in and out of the seats. That way you do not scrape against the bolster when getting in and out of the seat.. my others cars have this as a feature but have electric seats.
I don't need or want that in the Fiat

FiatPhil
07-14-2012, 08:51 AM
I've had the same flaking (and eventually splitting) problem with leather bolsters on my last two cars, both American made. That's why I bought the cloth seats this time around in the Fiat, and even if I had not bought a Fiat, I would have gone with cloth seats on my latest car.

And, I'm getting tired of sliding around on leather seats and having the color come out of the seats when I clean them. Now I only use a damp rag with a little liquid hand soap to clean the leather in my other car. Last time I used a professional leather cleaner, it took the color out of the seat. It was recommended by the car manufacturer.

Mike S
07-14-2012, 09:47 AM
How do you like the cloth seats?

cmj912
07-14-2012, 09:53 AM
If bits have started to come off and show through to the base material, you can buy a touch up kit - and you should - and touch up the spots before it gets worse. That used to drive me NUTS in my Volvo. Luckily they sold touch up pens in the factory colors and you could paint in the spots and re-seal it over.

I know it sucks to have to consider, but if it is that bad you might want to consider the custom-fit airbag-ready seat covers like the ones MADNESS offers.

deathshead
07-15-2012, 07:53 AM
Hi there, Can anyone post any pictures of these issues?

Im ordering a 2013 next week and I cant decide if i should get leather or cloth. I cant find any cars in stock locally with both to compare either.

I just want the most durable option as im in and out of the car frequently and wouldnt want it to look like crap in 6 months.
Thanks!

deathshead
07-17-2012, 09:37 AM
Bueller?

FTY
07-17-2012, 05:46 PM
No issues with my Leather seats....

paook
07-17-2012, 07:01 PM
None with mine so far, but I have made it a point to change my pocket habits. No more wallet in the rear pants pocket.

We'll see what the rear seats look like in a few years, when I take the kid seats out. Wife found a set of red/black kid seats to match the front and it's fooled people into thinking they were stock.

ahh-bert
07-18-2012, 11:40 PM
I can't figure out how to post a photo, but I saw them both in person and the red leather jobbers took my breath away. They are really, really gorgeous (in my opinion). They are hot on the tush in the summer though. I drove the other day in over 100 degrees and I think my butt got a spa treatment or something. So you might want to take that into consideration. Of course, your butt's actual experience may vary...LOL

Prima 109
07-21-2012, 12:02 PM
The cloth seats are nice and comfortable. Plus, unlike the leather, the red stripe theme is continues on the rears.

SeaDawg
07-21-2012, 12:19 PM
Agree, the red LEATHER seats ARE gorgeous! Most of the digital photos I have seen do not do them justice. For some unknown reason the red just doesn't look near as eye popping good as in person.

Fiat500USA
07-21-2012, 12:56 PM
Agree, the red LEATHER seats ARE gorgeous! Most of the digital photos I have seen do not do them justice. For some unknown reason the red just doesn't look near as eye popping good as in person.

They are nice...

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-TRAcXLCJy5M/UArieyMIiOI/AAAAAAAAMmg/rBgHlQD_MLw/s800/intense.jpg

FiatPhil
07-21-2012, 04:26 PM
How do you like the cloth seats?

I like them fine. Warm enough in the winter unlike cold leather; not hot in the summer.

They clean up great when I get something on them. I think they feel like polyester, I don't think they are natural fabric.

I bet they'll wear like heck and because I have the gray cloth seats, they'll have to be really dirty before it shows. The fact the same "cloth" is used on the armrests tells me it's durable because the armrests on cars get worn out looking first.

stevenvillatoro
07-21-2012, 04:31 PM
I found a simple hint that I'll pass along. One day I noticed a dimple in my passenger seat leather, which I couldn't explain. It took me days to work the leather back to normal. But several days later the same dimple showed up again! Finally it dawned on me that I was deforming the leather each time I leaned over to use the glovebox, etc., caused by putting my elbow on the seat while reaching over to that side. Since learning that lesson, no more problem. Now I don't even keep my wallet in my back pocket while driving.

deathshead
07-22-2012, 12:07 AM
None with mine so far, but I have made it a point to change my pocket habits. No more wallet in the rear pants pocket.

We'll see what the rear seats look like in a few years, when I take the kid seats out. Wife found a set of red/black kid seats to match the front and it's fooled people into thinking they were stock.

What brand and model seat? I have a 4yr old with an ugly current seat!

paook
07-24-2012, 12:27 AM
3063http://www.walmart.com/ip/The-First-Years-Compass-Folding-Adjustable-Booster-Car-Seat-Elegance-Red-and-Black/17176896

This is the seat we have our three year old in. We have some other brand/model for our one year old, but it's a similar look.

paook
09-02-2012, 02:07 PM

Seat behind the driver is an 'Alpha Omega Elite' for our one year old. Seat behind the passenger is a 'The First Years, Compass B505' for the our three year old.

I'm not thinking of what the leather will be like when those get removed... more important is having the kids involved in the Fiat fun!

deathshead
09-02-2012, 08:40 PM
Paook, Thanks for your posts and the link!, the seat looks great and matches really good, However my 4 year old son is only 34lbs.
I would feel a bit safer sticking with a full harness, even thought they are such a pita!

Do you have anything UNDER the seats to stop any marks in the leather?

paook
09-02-2012, 10:04 PM
Do you have anything UNDER the seats to stop any marks in the leather?

The wife put something black (foam padding?) under them to limit the impression that might/will be left. The kid seats fooled a number of people at car shows; many thought they were stock from their quick glances. You'd think that the kid toys stuck to the windows with sucker cups would give it away...

deathshead
09-02-2012, 10:28 PM
ya they look great!

FTY
09-02-2012, 10:30 PM

Seat behind the driver is an 'Alpha Omega Elite' for our one year old. Seat behind the passenger is a 'The First Years, Compass B505' for the our three year old.

I'm not thinking of what the leather will be like when those get removed... more important is having the kids involved in the Fiat fun!

That is too cool. Matches perfectly. Too bad 3 carseats dont fit. LOL

sjmst
09-03-2012, 11:02 AM
The cloth seats are nice and comfortable. Plus, unlike the leather, the red stripe theme is continues on the rears.

Right. Looks like they will wear like iron. Yes, the red leather looks awesome, but as I have a red car I thought it would be a bit too much red.
If I had gotten any of the other three colors, I would have gotten red leather in a heartbeat. I would have just dealt with the wear..or "patina" as I would say. Since I have black interior I thought the cloth was the best value and they look great too.

GetsThruBuckner
09-15-2012, 11:19 PM
Hey guys. I've never had leather seats before in a vehicle, as I am just getting to that point in my life where I can buy things like that. I am starting to see wrinkles in the bolstering. Is this normal break in that should be appreciated? or is it wear?

pastor passum
09-16-2012, 02:34 PM
Mine wrinkled after just a few hours of use and it concerned me. Now, after 4,000 + miles there seems to be no further wrinkling and the leather seems to be holding up really well.