PDA

View Full Version : ESC & Sport

Pionieri Tridentina
07-12-2012, 12:03 AM
I m a proud owner and driver of a verde chiaro 500 Pop since last Saturday.

I have a question about the ESC switch, my understanding is to use on wet or snowy roads, so by living in Oklahoma with straight roads for miles and miles, and no rain in sight for months, I'm ok if I keep the Sport off and the ESC off ?

thanks for the inputs

"W the 500"

Dwaynek
07-12-2012, 12:52 AM
no issue with the sport button in adverse weather but you will want to keep the ESC engaged.

EugeneS
07-12-2012, 01:10 AM
I m a proud owner and driver of a verde chiaro 500 Pop since last Saturday.

I have a question about the ESC switch, my understanding is to use on wet or snowy roads, so by living in Oklahoma with straight roads for miles and miles, and no rain in sight for months, I'm ok if I keep the Sport off and the ESC off ?

thanks for the inputs

"W the 500"

Congrats on your new 500 Pop!

For regular driving it is good idea to keep ESC on in all weather conditions. You can play with sport button, it is more fun to drive in sport mode.

Pinecone
07-12-2012, 07:02 AM
ESC ON while driving in the street. If you do a track event, then ESC OFF can be a better learning experience.

Sport as you prefer.

ahh-bert
07-13-2012, 01:03 AM
The Esc in my Mercedes acted as a guardian angel for me one icy morning and I think it's safe to say, kept me from severely injuring the people in the car in front of me. I have read here in this forum that the Fiat's Esc did that for another person in the rain. I don't know even a little bit of what Pinecone knows (He knows A LOT) but I would keep the Esc on just from that scary experience alone unless I was on a track and in a very controlled environment. The sport button, though is a lot of fun!

Pinecone
07-13-2012, 09:50 AM
I have seen many times over the years on vairous auto forums. Someone complains about ESC "interfering" with their driving and how they turn it off every time they start the car. Then a few weeks or months later, they come on with a tale of woe about how their car "just lost control," through no fault of the driver of course, and hit a tree or telephone pole or ditch or house or etc.

If ESC is "interfering" with your driving on the street, you are driving WAY too close to the limit.

shorelinerach
08-06-2012, 12:45 PM
I just got my Pop Friday and have a question. I have two ESC buttons. Is this normal? One is located where most cars say Sport. My Sport button says ESC, but when I push it Sport comes on in the dash. I can see the regular ESC button lower down by the AC controls. Could this just be marked wrong?

cmj912
08-06-2012, 07:07 PM
I just got my Pop Friday and have a question. I have two ESC buttons. Is this normal? One is located where most cars say Sport. My Sport button says ESC, but when I push it Sport comes on in the dash. I can see the regular ESC button lower down by the AC controls. Could this just be marked wrong?

Could you take a picture of it? That seems very odd.

In the Pop with a manual transmission, the Sport button should be in the top row with the hazard and rear window defogger button. The ESC button is small and in front of the shift, just below the heater and a/c.

In the automatic the Sport button is in the same place as in the manual, yet the ESC control is on the shifter display to the right of the gear selector.

Berliner
08-06-2012, 07:52 PM
I got a 500C never messed with the Esc Button just the Sport Button....... and i have no Problems at all...... As far as switching the Esc Button off during Rain..... It makes no difference here in Phoenix we get Flash Floods what i really need is a Life Vest..... LOL

shorelinerach
08-07-2012, 01:06 PM
I have attached a photo. Let me know if this button normally says. Sport.

Thanks. :)3162

bryanintowson
08-07-2012, 02:33 PM
Yeah - that's normally the sport button. Is your car a 2013 model or a 2012?

Berliner
08-07-2012, 03:05 PM
This one is a new one 4 me. On my 500C it says Sport and the Esc Button is down by the Blower/Fan Switch. All the Fiat i test drove and looked at had all the Sport Button in the Dash. You might want 2 check with your Dealer.....

Pinecone
08-07-2012, 03:45 PM
Normally says Sport.

Sounds like the screwed up with some 2013 parts, as the ESC button is supposed to move to the left of the steering wheel, so I would expect this type of button.

Bladecutter
08-07-2012, 05:28 PM

Yup, that button is supposed to say Sport.
Take your car back to the dealer, and have them order the correct button for your car.
Chances are you got a button meant for another car.

BC.

shorelinerach
08-07-2012, 08:25 PM
Thanks for confirming I am not totally losing it. :) I will take it in to the dealer and get the button changed to say sport.

Prima 109
08-08-2012, 01:30 AM

Yes. That button normally says sport. Hmmm, I wonder if somehow that belongs on a euro spec"d or a car that's supossed to go to Brazil or elsewhere?

Pronto
08-08-2012, 01:42 AM
Yes. That button normally says sport. Hmmm, I wonder if somehow that belongs on a euro spec"d or a car that's supossed to go to Brazil or elsewhere?
Bet they ran out of 'sport' buttons and did not want to slow down the production. They know it is an easy fix for the studio.

cmj912
08-08-2012, 08:36 AM

I thought that myself, but in the Polish-manufactured version instead of SPORT some of them say ECO and still others have an icon of a steering wheel.

However, it could be correct that in a South American or Chinese-market version (Toluca-built cars are supposedly exported to South and Central America as well as China) there is no ESC OFF button in the little group of buttons below the climate controls. Perhaps in certain versions there is no SPORT mode or it is different. I can't read Portuguese, but at the Brazilian FIAT site the 500 Pop is called the "500 Cult" and has a different base engine (something called the 8V EVO) although the rest of the car interior and exterior looks built to the USDM spec (side marker lights, etc).