PDA

View Full Version : Unscientific Abarth Initial Quality Survey

sjmst
07-11-2012, 02:04 PM
I notice that there seems to be some more problems reported with the Abarth than the regular 500’s.
Just curious, perhaps a poll is the way to go.

To me the first thing I need to know is does the car need to be brought right back because it doesn’t run well, or some vital part or accessory makes it inoperable or non functional.

I deliberately labeled this as unscientific so no one could reasonably pull this thread out and construe it as anything more than anecdotal.

EugeneS
07-11-2012, 02:39 PM
I had two issues that were promptly fixed by the studio: (1) the right side skirt panel coming off slightly by the rear wheel and (2) Right exhaust tip sticking out noticeably more than right. Both issues were minor and they are fixed now.

07-11-2012, 03:20 PM
Nothing yet @ 2750km

Leotxn
07-11-2012, 11:34 PM
9k miles, no issues except the rear washer nozzle leaked for first few weeks. Loving the car.

AbarthNut
07-11-2012, 11:38 PM
Right rear wheel spat pulling away from new.
Tires randomly set to 34-32 all around.
Rear window washer has prostate problem.
Steering wheel not centered.
Pulls to right (tucks under left front?) under heavy breaking.
Too much fun to get decent mpg.

Reporting all tomorrow after a 450mi over a week of ownership.

Dwaynek
07-12-2012, 12:55 AM
had side skirt issue too.

Abarth67
07-12-2012, 07:49 AM
Side skirt issue here as well. Had the engine light come on once but went off by itself after a short time. No problems since at 2,700 miles. I noticed that my armrest has a plastic tab broken. You would think they would make these stronger knowing what they are used for. Not a big deal if it doesn't get any worse but still annoying.

Love the car though, no real complaints.

paook
07-15-2012, 11:08 AM
I had one issue right from the get-go, but knew about when picking up my Abarth. The e-brake light would randomly blink on when driving. A quick trip back to the dealer (1 day turnaround) and they fixed it. A wire was getting pinched under the driver's seat track.

Since then, zero issues (almost three months, 2000 miles).

stevenvillatoro
07-15-2012, 12:00 PM
Very, VERY happy with build quality. I expected 'good,' and got 'great.' Car is remarkably solid and rattle-free – better so far even than anything Japanese I've owned, in that aspect. Yes, I have the very slightly incontinent rear nozzle, but others have said that theirs self-corrected so I'll wait and see. For now it's a perfect excuse to give little Bartito his regular bath. Otherwise, ZERO issues. Oddly, this is the first car that I enjoy SO MUCH that even if I were to find a problem, I wouldn't mind all that much. It would seem more like a character "quirk" and simply get fixed under the generous 4-year/50K warranty. It's been a fantastic car for nearly 2K miles now.

FTY
07-15-2012, 07:02 PM
Great thread..was curious about this after the JDpower article...

jguerdat
07-16-2012, 09:41 AM
No problems at all with just under 1k miles. 400 mile trip just finished with ~32 MPG. Ecodrive suggests I could work on my acceleration. :-)

What JD Power article? Wanna summerize?

ahh-bert
07-18-2012, 11:37 PM
I had the drippy nozzle on the rear window once. Gave Bertie a bath and that's all there was to it so far. Testimonial to how much I love this car that I washed him myself in the driveway - never have done that with any other car.

Keep reminding boyfriend to take everything out of his back pockets so as to protect my gorgeous delicate red-vines seats.

Driving this car makes every day feel like the weekend! :)

sjmst
07-19-2012, 10:16 AM
"Driving this car makes every day feel like the weekend!" :)

Great line!

tcarretti
07-20-2012, 09:32 AM
Had a few days of rear nozzle incontinence, but a healthy dose of coilovers and TMC Boost Box seemed to have cleared up the issue!

Seriously, I am SO happy with this little scrappy car. Love the look, the sound, the driving experience and the uniqueness.

Forza Abarthisti!!

Tony

John O
01-13-2013, 09:20 AM
Rear exhaust tips not even. Makes me insane that these great little cars are being delivered this way when the fix is so easy. Dealer service couldn't understand instructions on how to fix it, so I did it myself. Little quality things get under my skin a bit, best example is the cheap rear hatch pull that I replaced with a 500Madness leather one.

Otherwise, with over 3K miles so far, it's been a great companion.

EDIT: Just a quick addition. I want to add that there are a little things, that I knew existed from the get go, which are starting to rub me as wrong. They're so small, little details, some fixable some not. Two examples...

1) All the dash and steering leather has red stitching, except the shifter gaiter. How hard would it have been? I'd bet red stitching costs the same as black.

2) The absurdity of the leather door trim suspended in a sea of molded plastic regularly makes me chuckle now.

John O.

Cajun
01-13-2013, 10:27 AM
I've had my car just shy of 1 month and I have about 1700 miles on it.

My issues so far:
At about 600 miles, noticed both left and right side skirts are separating behind the front wheel wells.
Noticed a minor coolant leak at the reservoir connection at about the same mileage.
After reading about it here, I checked the exhaust pipe tips... right side sticks out much more than left.
Since the day I bought the car, the key is difficult to turn in the ignition... I often have to jiggle it to turn the key to start the car.

I think that's it so far. Nothing major, but all need to be addressed.
Our studio in Pensacola opened on December 1, 2012 but, as of last week, their service department isn't up and running yet.
Hopefully they'll open this week.

b56.1m6
01-13-2013, 11:29 AM
Crooked tailpipes on delivery. With only 150 miles and ugly weather too soon to tell but I am going to think positive and say I don't expect any.

Scorptx
01-13-2013, 01:17 PM
Leaking rear washer. Glovebox seriously out of alignment, took it in for repair and it's not any better. I question if they even tried. And now my manual temperature knob won't rotate to full cool.

dmvoss
01-13-2013, 02:05 PM
Rear exhaust tips not even. Makes me insane that these great little cars are being delivered this way when the fix is so easy. Dealer service couldn't understand instructions on how to fix it, so I did it myself. Little quality things get under my skin a bit, best example is the cheap rear hatch pull that I replaced with a 500Madness leather one.

Otherwise, with over 3K miles so far, it's been a great companion.

EDIT: Just a quick addition. I want to add that there are a little things, that I knew existed from the get go, which are starting to rub me as wrong. They're so small, little details, some fixable some not. Two examples...

1) All the dash and steering leather has red stitching, except the shifter gaiter. How hard would it have been? I'd bet red stitching costs the same as black.

2) The absurdity of the leather door trim suspended in a sea of molded plastic regularly makes me chuckle now.

John O.
I just had to check my Abarth---If you mean the shift knob, mine has the red stiching.

SeaDawg
01-13-2013, 04:05 PM
I just had to check my Abarth---If you mean the shift knob, mine has the red stiching.

I think he means the shift BOOT....but I confess, I'm guessing.biggrinparty

John O
01-13-2013, 08:38 PM
I think he means the shift BOOT....but I confess, I'm guessing.biggrinparty

Yes, "boot" equals "gaiter.' I guess I've been reading too much British English whilst on eBay UK.

John O.

Daimlersam
01-15-2013, 11:17 PM
Leaky rear windshield fluid nozzle, bit no other issues or problems at 3 months of ownership and 7k miles. I am a very happy customer!

ukeluthier
01-16-2013, 01:26 PM
Likewise.

4 months and 6K miles... ZERO problems.

grayabarth12
01-16-2013, 10:24 PM
just a few little things..... 6 months just over 12k. of course the usual leaking rear washer nozzle ( under hard acceleration and cornering ) a few rattles inside, the most annoying is drivers side b pillar, havent taken apart yet to see what it is. armrest squeaks when down(i dont use it now) left front caliper paint started to peel off. under very hard braking, pulls to the left. also just noticed a humming noise at highway speeds( sounds like a wheel bearing )does not change when turning so i think its in the rear. cel on for oil change prematurely, 3k since previous at dealer. nothing major so far,this is my dd with a 70 mile comute... oh can get better than 32mpg,might be driver and to much skinny pedal....dont care this thing way to much fun!

Tweak
01-17-2013, 04:18 PM
Yes, "boot" equals "gaiter.' I guess I've been reading too much British English whilst on eBay UK.

John O.

Whatever you want to call it I agree, saw it right after I got the car and wondered why they'd put red all around and leave that in black. :confused:

shagghie
01-17-2013, 05:41 PM
2000 miles, Gas Pedal has an interesting 'click' about half way through pressing down. Doesn't seem to affect drive-ability but is annoying and slightly disconcerting. It's like the return pressure spring is not centered or something goofy... haven't had time to grab a flashlight and look. Maybe time for an MM PP?

Rock Abarth
01-17-2013, 06:49 PM
Coolant hose clamp on the reservoir leaking and rubbing squeaking noise from around the top interior lights. If I push on the light assembly it goes away temporarily goes away. Annoying as all I want to hear is the exhaust. Anyone have this noise issue?