PDA

View Full Version : Sprint Booster installed on 500 Sport model

Bisbonian
07-06-2012, 08:13 PM
I've been kicking around the options for a little better throttle response on my Sport model (5-spd) and finally decided on the Sprint Booster which I purchased from 500 Madness.

I went through a lot of threads and thoughts on the timing controller and was ready to buy but have found a few references to the unit causing check engine lights. I wasn't exactly reassured on this score since one of the pluses on the website is that it can be easily removed before you go in to the dealer. I'm not sure I want to install something that needs to be removed when returning to the dealership.

I chose the Sprint Booster over the Pedal Box solely because I've dealt with 500 Madness before, otherwise the two units seemed similar although the Pedal Box offers more adjustment. I've gotten to a point where more adjustment isn't necessarily a good thing for me.

I looked at this purchase as risk free. The Sprint Booster comes with a 30 day 100% money back guarantee so if I didn't see a difference I would be out absolutely nothing but a few minutes time on the install.

Speaking of the install. While the installation of the Sprint Booster is super easy I would appreciate some 500 specific instructions to come with it. I couldn't figure out how to unplug the throttle pedal so that I could install the Sprint Booster. I went on the 500 Madness forum and website and searched through but could find nothing. I finally found a write up somewhere that clued me in.

When you look at the plug attached to the pedal you'll see the end of the plug facing you is red. You must pull this red end out and the plug will come apart with no effort. Luckily for me I stopped short of prying really hard before I went searching for instructions.

The job really is about 10 minutes. I've read of a few people who have said that the installation results in a check engine light which goes out shortly. The first step in the instructions is to leave the door open with the key off for 5 minutes otherwise a check engine light will result so I would say that some people don't read the instructions. I've had no check engine light.

Once I installed the unit I went for a quick test drive. I put about 350 miles a week on my car so I've got a pretty good idea what the acceleration feels like.

I started with Spring Booster and Sport Button off, and A/C on as that's how I drive in the summer. Acceleration was doggy and not impressive. I pressed the Sprint Booster button once for the green light and was able to discern a bit better response. At the next stop I clicked the button again for the red light and response was even better, probably on par with having the Sport button engaged. At the next stop I engaged the Sport button as well and the response was quite impressive.

I'm not sure if the computer needed to learn a little bit but as I got back home I could tell that the throttle response was much improved over what I am used to.

I know some people will want "hard numbers" but I don't have them. Since most dyno runs are full throttle runs they will not see partial throttle fueling changes even if there is a bump in horsepower. This unit doesn't claim to increase horsepower anyway so I would see no point in a full throttle dyno run. If someone were to perform some part throttle dyno runs would we see anything? I have no idea.

What I can tell you is that I will not be using the 30 day 100% money back guarantee. This product does what it says and I'm pleased with it.

Abarthboy
07-30-2012, 09:24 PM
Have you tracked your gas mileage since installation? I'm thinking of getting one of these or a Pedal Box for my Abarth.

Bisbonian
07-31-2012, 03:18 PM
My gas mileage has not changed since the installation.

I track every tank.

MADNESSMIKE
07-31-2012, 04:13 PM
We are glad you are enjoying your sprint booster. We are a big fan of the sprint booster and it really does help the acceleration of the vehicle by eliminating the throttle lag. If you ever have trouble installing our parts and it does not come with instructions or you just need clarification on something please give us a call 562 981-6800 and we would be more then happy to help.

Abarthboy
07-31-2012, 08:59 PM
My gas mileage has not changed since the installation.

I track every tank.

Thanks. Definitely going to give one of these a try.

davidjon_99
08-01-2012, 07:17 AM
Have you tracked your gas mileage since installation? I'm thinking of getting one of these or a Pedal Box for my Abarth.

I installed a Sprint Booster on my Abarth and love it. I actually got about 1 - 1.5 mpg better gas mileage on the two tanks since the install. I think because I hardly ever use the Sport mode anymore. I keep my Sprint Booster set on "Race" (highest setting) and the car in non-sport. I now have the MM ECU module (with remote) and the Sprint Booster. The car is a guided missle now. :) What I really love about the whole set up is that I can drive on the freeway with settings that save gas and then press a button or two and...WOW!

There's a lot more posted in a thread I started in the Abarth Performance forum. It also includes a short description on how to install the Sprint Booster. Here's a link to that thread http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?6155-Installed-a-Sprint-Booster