PDA

View Full Version : In first gear, but car backs up

smashz
07-05-2012, 12:42 PM
I'm 4 days into my new 500c Pop 5-speed, and having fun with it, of course.

Something very strange happened. I was on a slight downslope, and shifted from neutral to 1st gear. But the car backed up. (My friend, who was standing outside the car said that the reverse lights did not come on.) I went back to neutral, then again to 1st. Same thing. I shifted to reverse, and backed up a few feet, then back into 1st, and the car again backed up. I then shifted to 2nd, and the car went forward as expected.

This has not happened again, and I have not found any reference to it with a web search.

Has anyone heard of this, or experienced it?

luckymoi
07-05-2012, 01:42 PM
Sorry, no help here... got a 500C but a lounge.

FiatPhil
07-05-2012, 02:38 PM
Can you post a video on here? Show us the shifter position in 1st and then hit the gas so we can see it back up.

smashz
07-06-2012, 01:48 AM
I don't know that a video would show you anything not described. It's in 1st, and the car goes backward. Plus, it is not reproducible. Except that it happened to me again just now.

Fiat500USA
07-06-2012, 02:13 AM
Get to the dealer. Guessing there is a problem with the shift linkage, but they'll be able to figure it out.

msjulie33
07-06-2012, 10:03 AM
I don't know that a video would show you anything not described. It's in 1st, and the car goes backward. Plus, it is not reproducible. Except that it happened to me again just now.

That is pretty funky and cool in a weird way. Does it go forward at the speed of whatever your last forward gear was? Does it want to stall if it was like 5th?

Fiat500USA
07-06-2012, 10:40 AM
Going into reverse at a traffic light would definitely not be good. That is a typical problem with older Volkswagens when their shift linkage is worn and is simple to fix.

smashz
07-06-2012, 11:39 AM
Does it go forward at the speed of whatever your last forward gear was? Does it want to stall if it was like 5th?

I have not gone very far that way, just enough to recognize that it's wrong. Once it is in the forward gear, the ratio seems correct. I don't let it stall.

luckymoi
07-06-2012, 12:38 PM
Go directly to dealer...

smashz
07-12-2012, 12:21 PM
I took it to the dealer. Of course, the problem could not be produced on demand. Their advice was that the next time it happens, I should immediately have it towed (without taking it out of gear) to the shop so that they can look at it.

luckymoi
07-12-2012, 12:45 PM
Bummer.

500ways
07-12-2012, 01:12 PM
Reminds me of a 3 Stooges episode where they were posing as repairmen. One of them says, "Hey Moe, no wonder there is no water going through these pipes - it's because they're stuffed with wires." As Larry or Curly is saying this, he is pulling out the wires and then we see water coming out of a light fixture in the kitchen.

Gordio
08-08-2012, 11:36 AM
How reverse-y did you go? Is it possible your mind was playing tricks?

Sometimes if your car is sitting still (i.e. you're neutral, or the hill assist is helping you), and you expect to go forward on first gear, it FEELS like you're moving backwards. (I don't drive a fiat currently) When I am on a stop light and I'm on neutral thinking on on 1st, and I expect to move forward, almost always it feels like I'm backing up.