PDA

View Full Version : Check your cv boot!!!!

Black Mamba
07-02-2012, 12:00 PM
2 Abarth here locally and a member on here are experiencing the clamp coming off cv boot and spewing gunk allover the LSD and axle.

Is this a widespread issue? We can only know if you get under the car and check.

People chime in

yul
07-02-2012, 08:42 PM
Last spring my Cabrio was missing the clamp on one of the CV boots. Discovered it was missing when I found a blob of grease on the driveway with about 300km's on the car. When it got to the dealer next day the boot was totally empty and a nice mess under the car. Since then I always check my Abarth and Prima when the are up on a lift......I am a bit paranoid now.

Pronto
07-02-2012, 08:57 PM
2 Abarth here locally and a member on here are experiencing the clamp coming off cv boot and spewing gunk allover the LSD and axle.

Is this a widespread issue? We can only know if you get under the car and check.

People chime in

Wow, thanks black mamba and yul for the heads up! I will not freak out now if I see grease on the driveway floor.

trevc
07-02-2012, 09:47 PM
Checked mine this evening. Thankfully it all looked good. I only have only done 1100 miles so far.

stealthy1ss
07-02-2012, 10:27 PM
I have 2300 hard miles on my car and no issues. So far I feel lucky to not have run into any major issues. (knock on wood)

Pinecone
07-03-2012, 08:41 AM
I wonder if this is a lost clamp or no clamp in the first place. Like the intercooler hoses.

rickpike
07-03-2012, 09:36 AM
I have just over 2000 miles on my car now, I will be sure to check it out before i do much more driving. Thanks for the tip.

yul
07-03-2012, 12:48 PM
In my case on the carbrio it looks like the clamp was never installed. Maybe it was loose and fell off but I will never know.

ahh-bert
07-08-2012, 02:25 AM
May I please get a little better explanation of what I'm looking for? Like REALLY basic? Thanks guys! :)

Berliner
07-08-2012, 02:33 AM
Thanks for the info i washed my 500c 2day waxed it afterwards... Found some Stuff on the Tire and Side Panel i thought it was Bubble Gum ... Guess what.......Grease Grease Grease.... Thank you thank you i would not have known. You Guys rock

Pinecone
07-08-2012, 06:48 AM
May I please get a little better explanation of what I'm looking for? Like REALLY basic? Thanks guys! :)

If you pull off a front wheel, you will see a shaft from the wheel to the transmission. This is called a half shaft. At each end of the shaft, there is a rubber boot, shaped like a cone with bumps. The missing clamp seems to have been on the end at the engine. And at the large end of the rubber boot, there should be a metal band around it to clamp it to the internal pieces.

The picture is of a half shaft removed from the car. But you can see the rubber boot and the metal band clamp.

ahh-bert
07-08-2012, 03:35 PM
So could I run my hand along the inside edge of my tire and see if it felt greasy? Or do I have to take it to a tire place and have them take off the tire? I'm planning to wash Bertie when it cools off today, so I'll be able to get down and see if it's something I could look at on the driveway. Thank you!

VTEC Mini
07-09-2012, 08:42 AM
So could I run my hand along the inside edge of my tire and see if it felt greasy? Or do I have to take it to a tire place and have them take off the tire? I'm planning to wash Bertie when it cools off today, so I'll be able to get down and see if it's something I could look at on the driveway. Thank you!I think the issue is where the half shaft plugs into the differential housing in which case you wont be able to feel it. On the other side of it where it plugs into the wheel hub you might be able to feel but it is best to get a visual.

Black Mamba
07-09-2012, 11:51 AM
Just an update guys, first the clamp was gone which caused grease to spill out. Replaced the axle due to exposure, next day grease everywhere again. Possible cause of everyone's CV boot could be 1 of 3 bolts that secure the axle to the bracket was broke. This is all the information I know so far and will keep you guys updated. Could be broke from factory, or over-torqued, I will know more tomorrow.

Pinecone
07-09-2012, 12:06 PM
So could I run my hand along the inside edge of my tire and see if it felt greasy? Or do I have to take it to a tire place and have them take off the tire? I'm planning to wash Bertie when it cools off today, so I'll be able to get down and see if it's something I could look at on the driveway. Thank you!

If you know anyone with a jack, you can pull the wheel and see. But unlikely you will be able to see without doing so.

You MIGHT be able to run one wheel up on a curb and be able to get under and see.

Or stop by your studio and have them check. It is better to find this early than to wait until the grease is gone.

SnowyD
08-07-2015, 01:26 AM
Having been a mechanic for 6.5 years there will be at some point grease that leaks by a bit and you'd be surprised how tight the boots fit without a clamp sometimes. I know VW and Audi had a small hole in the boots to allow it to breathe as the grease heated up....and yes some came out of the hole but they had shields in that area to keep the grease from getting on important things. Having been under my Abarth today saw no issues or leaks anywhere. A little grease not a big deal a lot of grease a big deal. I doubt a broken bolt caused the issue unless when it backed out of its hole caught and tore the boot. If the clamps missing they'll probably put some more grease in and install a clamp...a sloppy tech may have made a mess with the grease under the car due to not wanting to pull the axle out to do the greasing and clamp. CV grease is messy S@#t! and hard to clean up so don't freak to bad generally a little grease can happen, next time I'm under my car I'll check for vent holes in the boots.

68aldwin
09-05-2015, 03:55 AM
Drivers side failure noticed at 20k miles... before mods. Certain it happened a long time ago. Grease everywhere. Haven't checked for a clamp missing or boot failure. Lots of mods now, so not eager to take it in for warranty service.

pip
09-08-2015, 10:07 AM
mine are trashed and being changed at dealer before warranty is out

mp4guy
09-08-2015, 10:16 AM
This is something that should be done at EVERY oil change. Unfortunately, some mechanics are too lazy to take a droplight to the underside of a car and HAVE A LOOK at the undercarriage to check for damage. We all run over debris or hit something underside at one point or another, so just ask the guy who changes the oil to look around while he's waiting for the last drops of old oil to come out the crankcase.

boxerbay
09-08-2015, 11:07 AM
2012 30K mi just got both of mine changed under warranty. Dealer said it was about $2.5K

Coldsnap
09-08-2015, 11:35 AM
So on my next oil change i just ask the mechanic to check for grease around the tire boot?

My front left tire gets a lot of break dust or grease or something.

boxerbay
09-08-2015, 11:51 AM
Both of mine the boots split at the outter rib. You cant miss it. I had what looked like nutella puked all over the axles.

pip
09-08-2015, 01:39 PM
what was 2.5k?

2012 30K mi just got both of mine changed under warranty. Dealer said it was about $2.5K

boxerbay
09-08-2015, 02:25 PM
Service adviser said it was $2,500 in parts and labor to replace both cv joints.

J.Peterman
09-08-2015, 02:36 PM
I see that this has happened to some 2012 models. Does anyone have a 2013 or newer model where this has occurred?

Coldsnap
09-08-2015, 04:47 PM
OH CV JOINT.

On my maintenance schedule it says @ 48,000miles to inspect CV Joint. So I guess that's what I'll be doing real soon here. As warrenty ends at 50k.