PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Cylinder Misfire

rickpike
07-02-2012, 10:52 AM
I was driving at highway speeds on saturday, when i looked down to see the check engine light flashing at me, I slowed down right away, and was making my way over to the side of the road and the light just went away. Car didn't miss, or sputter or anything. I still pulled over to give everything a once over no issues to be found. I have an OBD II hook up for my iphone so i hooked that up right away and it came up as a "Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected" car has just over 2000 miles on it now.

Car was running fine, so i continued on cautiously. Kept my OBD hooked up just in case something else popped up. Drove another 20 miles home with no issues. Set up an appointment today, but I haven't driven it since.

anyone else run into this one?

VTEC Mini
07-02-2012, 05:29 PM
It has been reported by someone else and they had broken valve springs....

HF Stinger
07-02-2012, 06:11 PM

For the love of god... It been reported that we're all going to die too.

If there is physical damage to a component within the cylinder head you'll certainly know it. I don't think that code would be self heaing...

VTEC Mini
07-02-2012, 06:19 PM
For the love of god... It been reported that we're all going to die too.

If there is physical damage to a component within the cylinder head you'll certainly know it. I don't think that code would be self heaing...Evidently, not even the tech's at Chrysler didn't know until they pulled the valve cover off there Mr. funny guy. I didn't even say that was it but that was reported by another owner who had a "misfire".

Pinecone
07-02-2012, 07:29 PM
In this case, there was a computer code reading of a misfire, which he did not feel.

In the other case, the engine was misfiring badly enough to prevent it being driven.

The car misfired 5 days after I got it. I couldn't even get the car out of the parking lot.

Felnus
07-02-2012, 07:59 PM
A valve spring breaks and you are going to know in a hurry that there is something seriously wrong, especially with an interference engine like the 500's.

rickpike
07-03-2012, 09:34 AM
I drove the car to work today, no lights, no warning noises, no sputters or misses. I highly doubt it's a broken valve spring but thanks for the information VTEC, I have an appointment set up for next Monday, so the more information I can have from other users/ owners the better.

Any other thoughts of what may have causes the brief hiccup that would have thrown the code at highway speed, and no signs of issue to fallow?

VTEC Mini
07-03-2012, 09:41 AM
I drove the car to work today, no lights, no warning noises, no sputters or misses. I highly doubt it's a broken valve spring but thanks for the information VTEC, I have an appointment set up for next Monday, so the more information I can have from other users/ owners the better.

Any other thoughts of what may have causes the brief hiccup that would have thrown the code at highway speed, and no signs of issue to fallow?

I certainly hope it was just a false readin or very minor...

FTY
07-03-2012, 09:44 AM
Maybe this will help? THANKS to TMC MOTORSPORTS for posting this info.

Abarth TSB 18-016-12 - MIL Illumination And/Or Engine Knock

If you have an Abarth built before May 9, 2012 (MDH 0509XX), there is a PCM software update available. Note this bulletin came out May 18, and may have already been applied to your car before you picked it up.

Condition:
1. An engine knock (pre-ignition) sound when the car has been driven aggressively with “regular”
fuel (less than 91 octane). This condition will be noticed at low engine speeds
with high boost pressure and high exhaust gas temperatures, particularly with hot
ambient temperatures.
2. A MIL illumination with P0441 - Evap Purge System Performance set active or
stored.
3. A MIL illumination with P0128 - Thermostat Rationality set active or stored.

Solution:
Updating (reflashing) the PCM will correct the conditions listed above.

FiatCares
07-03-2012, 01:30 PM

BCM?.. its too hard to tell.. let me know what the studio says.. Ill help any way I can.

rickpike
07-03-2012, 01:41 PM
FTY- my car was built May 16th, i always have 93 in the car, and i was driving at highway speed when it happend so i don't think this would be the fault. thanks for the info though!

Jonathan- I will keep you posted on what i hear or find out.

nyc eng
07-06-2012, 04:40 PM

I have the misfortune of saying I actually experienced such an issue and based on what happened to my car, I highly doubt the CEL would just disappear.

stevenvillatoro
07-06-2012, 06:47 PM
I have the misfortune of saying I actually experienced such an issue and based on what happened to my car, I highly doubt the CEL would just disappear.Is this thread (http://www.fiat500owners.com/forum/25-fiat-500-abarth/4612-drove-abarth-5-days-shop-6-days-counting.html) related?

VTEC Mini
07-06-2012, 11:21 PM
Is this thread (http://www.fiat500owners.com/forum/25-fiat-500-abarth/4612-drove-abarth-5-days-shop-6-days-counting.html) related?If it's not Fiat could have a serious issue on their hands.....

Fiat500USA
07-06-2012, 11:37 PM
Maybe this will help? THANKS to TMC MOTORSPORTS for posting this info.

Abarth TSB 18-016-12 - MIL Illumination And/Or Engine Knock

If you have an Abarth built before May 9, 2012 (MDH 0509XX), there is a PCM software update available. Note this bulletin came out May 18, and may have already been applied to your car before you picked it up.

Condition:
1. An engine knock (pre-ignition) sound when the car has been driven aggressively with “regular”
fuel (less than 91 octane). This condition will be noticed at low engine speeds
with high boost pressure and high exhaust gas temperatures, particularly with hot
ambient temperatures.
2. A MIL illumination with P0441 - Evap Purge System Performance set active or
stored.
3. A MIL illumination with P0128 - Thermostat Rationality set active or stored.

Solution:
Updating (reflashing) the PCM will correct the conditions listed above.

I post the TSB's here in the Service Info Forum (http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/forumdisplay.php?41-Service-Info)

FTY
07-07-2012, 03:39 PM
I post the TSB's here in the Service Info Forum (http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/forumdisplay.php?41-Service-Info)

Thank YOU...:encouragement: