PDA

View Full Version : 0-60 after mods?

compns8
07-01-2012, 09:32 PM
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and currently awaiting delivery of my 2013 Abarth. I am going through looking at all of the options for mods. The question I keep coming to in my mind is, how fast are your cars now? I have seen a couple of dyno's post boost controllers and etc. But what can they actually do with what you have done? Thank you very much for any input. Sorry if this is posted somewhere else I attempted to find it before starting a new thread.

Fiat500USA
07-01-2012, 11:31 PM
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and currently awaiting delivery of my 2013 Abarth. I am going through looking at all of the options for mods. The question I keep coming to in my mind is, how fast are your cars now? I have seen a couple of dyno's post boost controllers and etc. But what can they actually do with what you have done? Thank you very much for any input. Sorry if this is posted somewhere else I attempted to find it before starting a new thread.

Hi compns8, welcome to the forum! I guess the question is what is the end result of adding the boost controller and if anyone has actually recorded any before and after numbers. Interesting question. Anyone have some figures to share?

compns8
07-02-2012, 08:15 AM
Yes, but not limited to the boost controller. Any power related mods and what the result has been.

compns8
08-10-2012, 07:28 PM
Anyone?

Pinecone
08-11-2012, 06:47 AM
As usual, people do not do any testing, They just brag about how much faster the car is, because they feel it is faster. Of course, after spending $800 or so, they will feel it is faster, even if it is actually slower. :)

compns8
08-11-2012, 07:13 AM
Well mine is still in D1 but I promise to lay down some numbers when that lovely day arrives.

FTY
08-11-2012, 12:54 PM
As usual, people do not do any testing, They just brag about how much faster the car is, because they feel it is faster. Of course, after spending $800 or so, they will feel it is faster, even if it is actually slower. :)

Real world is where it counts...not just #s. If you make changes to a car and can keep up and pass a car that you had trouble doing before, they work, regardless of what the HP and TQ #s are. This car really lives @ 50-95mph. All I want to do is keep up....and it does.You could have XXXhp and XXXtq and lose all day becuase you cant hook.

What did people do before Dynos and special little apps on thier Iphones?

Pinecone you seem like an older guy you should realize this. Your posts actually remind me of James May on topgear...dont take it as an insult you are just that type of car guy, pretty entertaining and refreshing at times.

Lets put it this way...a friend of mine with a heavily modded Audi(heavy), luaghed at me when I told him the car would surprise him...well after a quick run and the fact he couldnt shake me decided to do meth to get the upper hand...motor went POP and hes out 6k, now he wants a stroker kit and a bigger turbo which if done right Ill be finished but you get the point.

This was all done on a closed Road so please spare me the speech.

tcarretti
08-11-2012, 02:05 PM
Real world is where it counts...not just #s. If you make changes to a car and can keep up and pass a car that you had trouble doing before, they work, regardless of what the HP and TQ #s are. This car really lives @ 50-95mph. All I want to do is keep up....and it does.You could have XXXhp and XXXtq and lose all day becuase you cant hook.

What did people do before Dynos and special little apps on thier Iphones?

Pinecone you seem like an older guy you should realize this. Your posts actually remind me of James May on topgear...dont take it as an insult you are just that type of car guy, pretty entertaining and refreshing at times.

Lets put it this way...a friend of mine with a heavily modded Audi(heavy), luaghed at me when I told him the car would surprise him...well after a quick run and the fact he couldnt shake me decided to do meth to get the upper hand...motor went POP and hes out 6k, now he wants a stroker kit and a bigger turbo which if done right Ill be finished but you get the point.

This was all done on a closed Road so please spare me the speech.

I agree. The Abarth is not exceptional out of the hole. Your comment about the sweet spot being between 50-95 is spot on though, and that makes the car a boatload of fun. I tried turning off the Sprint Booster last night for a little while, but had to turn it back on. Once you get used to the better throttle response, it's hard to give it up. I'm really looking forward to the intake kit to see how much better this thing will breath.

I've got my TMC box set on 7 and the Sprint Booster on Red/Race with the car in Sports mode, ESC turned completely off. Feels very good, although it's so hot here that I do get a little "bog" under full throttle. If I use a little more finesse on the accelerator, the power seems to be much smoother and linear. I'm wondering if dialing the TMC box back down a little would actually help out. Might try it later on. Although, I'm hoping that the intake will allow the TMC box to shine even more once the car gets more breathe in her.

Tony

FTY
08-11-2012, 03:41 PM
The intake helps the little turbo breathe alot better...I have had mine off for a week and really really miss it....UPS is killing me, I have to wait until tuesday before I can put the new one back on. The old one was sent out to ensure proper fitament with the new parts, its been a long week without it...no noise and so-so throttle response...3 more days. I have my TMC box @ 8..I cant go back to 7....and now I want a sprint booster...its a sickness.

Pinecone
08-11-2012, 04:22 PM
Yes, you know your car is faster, but you don't know how much faster.

And turbo cars are normally not good off the line. That is why nitrous is so great for them, gives the shot off the line to get going. :)

My Dodge Daytona Turbo Z was faster 5 - X than the "muscle" cars of the mid-80s (not that it is saying much :D ). Not 0 - X, it lost out, unless X was high enough, to the V8s due to launch off the line.

Numbers tell you exactly what you have accomplished. O - 60 or 50 - 95 or whatever you want to do. Or best, graph the 0 - X high speed and see all the range and be able to see if your gains are low or high. For a street car, gains lower in the rev range feel better, for the track higher rev power is usable. Test before and test after. One change at a time.

FTY
08-11-2012, 07:52 PM
Yes, you know your car is faster, but you don't know how much faster.

Test before and test after. One change at a time.

This is true....I guess after seeing so many dyno graphs and the almost unlimited number of variables, I trust the simpltons approach more these days. Maybe Ive had too much internet squabling about dyno this and dyno that..who knows..maybe Im just getting old. 10 going on 12...in my mind that is.

Pinecone
08-12-2012, 06:36 AM
:D

That is why I have said, always the SAME dyno for all tests, and worry about the change, not the absolute numbers.

Abarthman
08-26-2012, 08:48 PM

OK, I've done it.

With the MM box set on "2" (max setting), CAI from our own FTY, traction control on first setting, air off, on flat pavement, I am consistently getting 0 - 60 of in the 5.8 - 6.0 seconds range. And I'm not a 0 - 60 guy; I haven't really played with technique or anything to try to optimize my times; just went out and did it.

Needless to say, I'm very happy with where I am, performance-wise. Only other thing I'll do in the not too distant future -and I think it's needed, particularly due to the higher boost allowed by the MM box - is a bigger intercooler. That will probably drop my times another tenth or too.....

njboy
08-27-2012, 11:25 AM
Not bad for a FWD car. Any car that has a 0-60 that dips into the 5 seconds range is pretty quick in my book.

OK, I've done it.

With the MM box set on "2" (max setting), CAI from our own FTY, traction control on first setting, air off, on flat pavement, I am consistently getting 0 - 60 of in the 5.8 - 6.0 seconds range. And I'm not a 0 - 60 guy; I haven't really played with technique or anything to try to optimize my times; just went out and did it.

Needless to say, I'm very happy with where I am, performance-wise. Only other thing I'll do in the not too distant future -and I think it's needed, particularly due to the higher boost allowed by the MM box - is a bigger intercooler. That will probably drop my times another tenth or too.....

MADNESSMIKE
08-27-2012, 02:56 PM
OK, I've done it.

That sounds fantastic what did you use to measure your 0-60 time if you dont mind me asking?

Abarthman
08-27-2012, 05:20 PM
That sounds fantastic what did you use to measure your 0-60 time if you dont mind me asking?

Thanks.

Admittedly; it was totally unscientific. I just used a stopwatch and the car's speedometer. However, I was very consistent, and like I said, I didn't try numerous launch methods to get the best time.

It seems very reasonable, however. Car and Driver got 0 - 60 times of about 6 seconds flat on the JCW Mini, which has about 210hp. The Abarth, with about the same HP (I believe, actually a little more), and with the quicker spool-up from the CAI, should be able to do this. And, of course, the Abarth weighs a bit less than the Mini.
Makes sense to me....:smug:

Abarthman
08-27-2012, 05:37 PM

I did happen to think....
A lot of people only pay attention to one thing - max horsepower numbers. However, one point I wanted to make to those reading this post is that, although Madness showed little improvement in their dyno tests when adding the CAI to the MM box as far as ultimate horsepower goes, the benefit in the real world is FAR more than in ultimate dyno numbers.

You see, ultimate HP numbers are just the max number, AT ONE POINT IN THE RPM RANGE.

What is immediately apparent with the CAI is that at lower RPMs, when you are NOT at max HP, the boost builds RIGHT NOW - NO WAITING!!! This means that at those lower revs, the increase in power and throttle response is VERY, VERY apparent!!!

This shows up the MOST in the first two gears, which are used for the 0 - 60 runs.

I believe that when I autocross the car, the difference will make all the difference in the world. The Abarth is going to be a terror.

Mini Cooper drivers, be forwarned........

Mike S
08-27-2012, 05:45 PM
What class will you be running in?

FTY
08-27-2012, 06:12 PM
The Abarth is going to be a terror.

Mini Cooper drivers, be forwarned........

I love it!!

Abarthman
08-27-2012, 06:29 PM
What class will you be running in?

Not sure, and I really don't care. To me, it's just about having one HECK of a fun, Italian car!!!!

Just wait til I buy some spare wheels and a set of R spec tires for weekends and track days.

Heh, heh.......

Pinecone
08-28-2012, 12:27 PM
Prepared or Modified. :)

MADNESSMIKE
08-28-2012, 01:05 PM
Thanks.

Admittedly; it was totally unscientific. I just used a stopwatch and the car's speedometer. However, I was very consistent, and like I said, I didn't try numerous launch methods to get the best time.

It seems very reasonable, however. Car and Driver got 0 - 60 times of about 6 seconds flat on the JCW Mini, which has about 210hp. The Abarth, with about the same HP (I believe, actually a little more), and with the quicker spool-up from the CAI, should be able to do this. And, of course, the Abarth weighs a bit less than the Mini.
Makes sense to me....:smug:

Absolutely I can see a CAI really helping the turbo spool up faster at the lower RPMS.

GoFiatGo!
09-07-2012, 08:25 PM
Well with my TMC box and FTYs intake I just out ran a new Ford Raptor with the 6.2, still had intransits on it. He was in an automatic and just punched it and those things cut a solid 6.2 0-60... Ran him up to 70, was extremely close though, by a nose close. I need to do an official 0-60 but based off that, getting in the neighborhood of the JCW Mini.

mjanowich
09-08-2012, 11:32 PM
For those without a dedicated accelerometer, another way to time a 0-60 run is to record your speedometer with a digital camera and then play back the run and count the number of frames from the time you start to the time you hit 60. If you know the frames/second of the playback video, you can do the math and have a fairly accurate time. I have done this with my Camaro and verified with my accelerometer. I used Quicktime to play back the video.

It would be nice to see more people posting times here, be it stock or modified. I'm a big proponent of gathering empirical data for any performance modification. It's also helpful to troubleshoot if something is wrong with the car.

MADNESSMIKE
09-10-2012, 03:36 PM
For those without a dedicated accelerometer, another way to time a 0-60 run is to record your speedometer with a digital camera and then play back the run and count the number of frames from the time you start to the time you hit 60. If you know the frames/second of the playback video, you can do the math and have a fairly accurate time. I have done this with my Camaro and verified with my accelerometer. I used Quicktime to play back the video.

It would be nice to see more people posting times here, be it stock or modified. I'm a big proponent of gathering empirical data for any performance modification. It's also helpful to troubleshoot if something is wrong with the car.

That would be a pretty cool idea take a gopro camera or something and hook it up to the sterring wheel and point it at the speedo. We also carry the Kiwi(http://500madness.com/500madness/shop/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=iphone&category_id=0&product_id=714) it works with your phone to give you 0-60 times, dyno information and diagnostic information. we also carry the android version as well (http://500madness.com/500madness/shop/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=kiwi&product_id=713)

Abarth500
11-27-2012, 12:18 AM
This is a great thread. Basically, a fully modded out Abarth is far from super fast. The stock model is definitely lacking, both suspension and engine performance. I have the MM Power Pedal and MM Power Boost, CAI, MM Exhaust and mid pipe, free flow cat (not installed yet, just got it from TMC), Forge BOV, KW V1s, short shift, and I am waiting for the Forge front mount intercooler to be available (December I am told). The real fun of these cars s blasting through 3 gears and redlining it at every light without breaking too many speeding laws. The car is just fun, puts a smile on my face every time I get it. In the corners, even more fun. I say buy everything, install it, and you will love it!!! One thing I find that is great in stock form is the brakes. No complaints there. Forget all the dyno stuff. This car will never have any impressive numbers there. But driving is the real test. I will attest that every mod I have done has not disappointed. Hard to explain it, but I love this car because of that.

William M Jacocks Jr
11-27-2012, 08:21 AM
How can I count? Once I hit 60 I'm shifting out of second... dang, forgot to count again!!! LOL seriously though, if the tires aren't hooking, you won't go faster.

EliRider
11-27-2012, 09:49 AM
Different people have different methodologies when it comes to performance... For me, I love all data that is available. What's great about this forum is the sharing.

We do have a good set of Dyno postings (thanks to many of you) which make most of us fairly happy and confirms the Abarth potential.

Yes, some of us have iPhone apps that provides useful data such as improved air intake temperatures, slightly better electronic gauges, ...

Stop watches, video postings,... All good...

We have many butt-dynos opinions (mine included) that confirms the perceived performance potential. To me this is as important since it is truly the end product in how you feel about your car. I've had Dyno results in the past that showed great performance but the drivability lacked what I was looking for based on my own butt-Dyno. So it was a combination of both that helped dial in the experience I was seeking.

For me, I like as much data as possible from all sources as many of you. I'm willing to pay for and try different products until I get the right match. Then maybe Dyno later. It's not like we are attempting to get 2X performance yet without serious major surgery. But then you never know what our vendors will come up with to fit our cars.

Last night, I just switched the tires to BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 (17s) based on some of our forum conversations.

I'm interested in 2.5" exhaust, better mid-pipe... Then go for better suspension.

I love hearing the debates and passion that rings thru. That is highly valuable data to add to the mix.

I'm running ECM boost module, CAI, throttle boosters, down pipes, short shifter,... - all are good in my book and have contributed to my performance desires.. All due to the information and vendors on our forum. Just awesome.

Keep sharing, try different products, and debate...

Abarth67
11-27-2012, 10:04 AM
I did a few GoPro runs and when I go back and clock the 0-60, it comes out to 5.5-6.0 seconds. My goal was to get into the 5 second range and I have done this.

Mike S
11-27-2012, 10:48 AM
Using something like a Gtech Pro might give more accurate results.

sk8ace
11-27-2012, 02:17 PM
This is with No mods. 100% stock 2013. Way too much wheel spin in first but its a decent base line for me to compare with after mod it.
(I'll delete this post if you guys want after mod vids only)

http://youtu.be/Qrl0Vi7Gio0

(This was on a non public, dead-end road)

trevc
11-27-2012, 02:35 PM
It is always fun watching the instantaneous MPG readout :rofl:

mjanowich
11-27-2012, 06:16 PM
I counted 142 frames between when your MPH starts moving to when you hit 62 MPH (looks like right arrow key advances 1 frame). I also counted 20 frames per second on that video. So, that was a 7 second run. Not bad with the wheelspin in there. Feel free to post a few more like that, especially if you mod it. What was the temperature like when you recorded the video?

This is with No mods. 100% stock 2013. Way too much wheel spin in first but its a decent base line for me to compare with after mod it.
(I'll delete this post if you guys want after mod vids only)

(This was on a non public, dead-end road)

sk8ace
11-27-2012, 09:41 PM
I figured around 7 seconds too, nice.

It was in the mid 30's then.

FTY
11-27-2012, 10:23 PM
NOT BAD stock at all...I think some of our cars are in the mid 5s with a good launch...I played with a challenger on the hwy...60-80+...I was all over him like a cheap suit...:) I had a smile he had a big frown.

Tweak
11-27-2012, 10:52 PM
NOT BAD stock at all...I think some of our cars are in the mid 5s with a good launch...I played with a challenger on the hwy...60-80+...I was all over him like a cheap suit...:) I had a smile he had a big frown.

I think I mentioned it but I played with a friend that was in his ZR1, 160HP obviously did not fair well against 638HP, there was no frowns, just amusement for us both. :D

sk8ace
11-27-2012, 11:07 PM
^^^That would have been fun! I tried to get this guy to play but he didn't want to :-(

Tweak
11-27-2012, 11:24 PM
^^^That would have been fun! I tried to get this guy to play but he didn't want to :-(

I've never seen one of those in person and in my area am not likely too either. I didn't really toy with but I did keep up with a Lotus this morning. In my area I'll see an occasional Lambo and Ferrari but that's about it, seeing a Bugatti I doubt will ever happen here.
Snapped a pic but it didn't come out too well.
http://i50.tinypic.com/fljbl0.jpg

sk8ace
11-27-2012, 11:36 PM
I'm sure that will be the only one I will ever see roaming the streets Lol. No idea what the hell he was doing here.. Young guy too.

That would be a fun matchup! I have seen a few Lotus's driving around here. Not since I picked up my Abarth. Those cars are so low haha.

Tweak
11-27-2012, 11:40 PM
I'm sure that will be the only one I will ever see roaming the streets Lol. No idea what the hell he was doing here.. Young guy too.

That would be a fun matchup! I have seen a few Lotus's driving around here. Not since I picked up my Abarth. Those cars are so low haha.

I don't know if he tried or not but I didn't really have issues keeping up with him, I know he should beat me as specs go but it was still kinda cool. Funny thing is I noticed one guy looking at my car but he didn't seem to have much interest in the Lotus, neither are something you see commonly but I thought that was pretty cool.

Corrnaus
11-28-2012, 12:09 AM

How many men do you think try to race him everyday?!? But common if you have 1,000bhp you just need to blip the throttle and you will eat anything on the road.

jguerdat
11-28-2012, 08:41 AM

FYI, I'm using about 2500 RPM to launch at autocrosses with ESC fully off. It IS easy to turn the launch into smoke. I can't say that I've found the perfect launch RPM but lower is better.

mjanowich
11-28-2012, 12:02 PM
Those are some cold tires and a cold road surface for doing a 0-60 test. I bet you gain .5 seconds on a 70 degree day. What mods are you planning? I'm curious to see what the Magneti Marelli engine controller will do to acceleration times.

I figured around 7 seconds too, nice.

It was in the mid 30's then.

lagallinavecchia
11-28-2012, 12:41 PM
A fun list courtesy of Top Gear (UK, of course!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Top_Gear_test_track_Power_Lap_Times

Find the 500 Abarth Essesse @ 1:35.5 ...faster than James Bond's Aston (ok, it was his first Aston) =)

sk8ace
11-28-2012, 01:45 PM
How many men do you think try to race him everyday?!? But common if you have 1,000bhp you just need to blip the throttle and you will eat anything on the road.

Haha I know right? I'm sure they all were thinking the same as me, how often do you get a chance to lose to one of the fastest production cars, ever. Oh well, it was still pretty neat to see one.

FYI, I'm using about 2500 RPM to launch at autocrosses with ESC fully off. It IS easy to turn the launch into smoke. I can't say that I've found the perfect launch RPM but lower is better.

I'll have to play around with the rpm's next time. I also remembered that I had ESC partial off for that one..

Those are some cold tires and a cold road surface for doing a 0-60 test. I bet you gain .5 seconds on a 70 degree day. What mods are you planning? I'm curious to see what the Magneti Marelli engine controller will do to acceleration times.

Yea thats true, I actually took that vid before I read this thread so I wasn't really trying to get it perfect. Just having fun. I am going to do an intake(mostly for sound) and one of the tuning boxes but I haven't decided on which one. There are a few companies coming out with new tuning options soon so I want to wait and see which is the best bang for the $$. I'll be putting my car away for winter when the salt goes down on the roads so I am not in much of a hurry to buy go-fast parts when it will just be sitting in the garage lol.

Grifkylian
12-14-2012, 02:18 AM
I am consistently getting 0 - 60 of in the 5.8 - 6.0 seconds range.

That's darn quick wow. Was there any bad wheel hop? I had a 2005 GTI 1.8T w/software, got into the 5's in the 0-60's, but wheelhop killed the fun (and broke axles too). I can't wait to see even quicker numbers with the 500 Abarth. I am sure the 30-90 mph pulls are entertaining :)

pchop
12-28-2012, 08:43 PM
Download Dynomaster for your iphone or android...and you are welcome :)

I just did two runs with mine and I got 6.1 and 6.3 secs with the following setup:
- I have a TMC box set to 8 (9 being the max)
- I have Eurocompulsion's CAI
- I did launch my car with slight clutch play and wheel spin
- Tires are cold and it's 37F degrees outside.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.trackaroo.apps.mobile.android.Dynom aster

mot700
12-29-2013, 01:31 PM
Any 0-60 times with the RRM Ultimate tuner box?

lillo24
12-29-2013, 05:07 PM
Download Dynomaster for your iphone or android...and you are welcome :)

I just did two runs with mine and I got 6.1 and 6.3 secs with the following setup:
- I have a TMC box set to 8 (9 being the max)
- I have Eurocompulsion's CAI
- I did launch my car with slight clutch play and wheel spin
- Tires are cold and it's 37F degrees outside.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.trackaroo.apps.mobile.android.Dynom aster

Dyno master is not available for iphone. What app will work for iphone? and what OBDII reader do I need? I need to reset some codes on my gti and have it handy for abarth. Thnaks

opiateESP
12-29-2013, 05:19 PM
http://forums.watchuseek.com/attachments/f20/712955d1337432645-i-hate-omega-part-two-necro.jpg

Tweak
12-29-2013, 07:36 PM
Dyno master is not available for iphone. What app will work for iphone? and what OBDII reader do I need? I need to reset some codes on my gti and have it handy for abarth. Thnaks

Dash Command and one of the PLEX units should give you all you need using the Mac/iPhone.