PDA

View Full Version : Road Race Timing Controller - Initial Impressions

mneuman916
06-26-2012, 07:16 PM
Well - today I finally recieved my long lusted after Road Race Timing Controller. Here are my initial thoughts.

Before we get started - please note that my car as it sits today has the Borla cat back and an INJEN cold air intake. Both I highly recommened - especially the Borla. The addition of the timing controller seemed to be the next logical step in squeezing the last few drops of juice. (Though I also have a Road Race Corsa intake coming shortly to replace the INJEN - more on that later)

Upon opening the small box I was initially shocked and a bit disappointed in the way it was shipped. There was absolutely zero dunnage in the box. For an expensive electronic part I felt it should have at the very least had newspaper stuffed in there to keep the controller from slapping around while it traversed the continental United States.

I made my way outside and scanned the very simple and well written installation directions. The only tool required was a stubby ratchet and a 10mm deep socket. Oh - and a single beer. I removed both smaller cables from the battery ground post as opposed to the entire battery lug - just seemed easier that way. WARNING - aside from resetting your date and clock, disconnecting the battery does reset your trip odometer as well as MPG averages. You'll want to write down your trip reading if you manually track your fuel mileage with an Android App as I do.

Installing this thing could not have been more simple. You literally just plug it inline with the connector on the left side of the intake runners. I chose to mount my timing controller with the single existing bolt as I have not decided my permanent mount solution. I have attached my installed photo below. Though the instructions claim to mount using the existing bolt or the included wire tie - I couldn't have mounted with a wire tie if I wanted to as there were none in the box. Fortunately I had several small wire ties available from my computer building days. As a suggestion to Road Race I would recommend including a handful of these small ties to secure the wiring at least. See my photo below. I didn't want the cabling just slapping around freely in the engine compartment.

I reconnected the cables to the negative terminal and took a step back to admire my handy work when my third and final disappointment struck. Where is my Road Race decal? I've no decal to proudly display on my brand new timing controller! Hey Road Race - surely this is an egregious oversight! Can I get my Road Race decal?

Anyway - enough with that. Let's get to the good part.

I started the car and let it idle a few minutes. I took her out easily as instructed and gave it a bit of time to adjust. Then - I started punching it. I ran her through the gears best could given the traffic this evening. I can honestly say I was taken aback after a few dozen pulls with how much the car just wakes up. This difference is not going to throw you back in your seat by any means - but you know the difference is there. There was no denying that power came earlier and it came harder. My daily commutes are going to be a bit more fun 5 days a week! Is it worth throwing down $350.00? Well - that really comes down to what you want. I think it was worth the investment. At the end of the day - I'd rather have a faster customized 500 made mine than a bone stock Abarth same as everyone else. It's worth it to me - and I'll still be getting fuell economy in the upper 30's. :pride:

I'll be awaiting my final performance upgrade - the Road Race Corsa short ram in the next week. My expectation from all I have soaked up over the months pouring over research and personal experiences is that I'll gain a bit more throttle response down low over the INJEN. I'll be pulling the battery once again when I make that change. With that then completed I'll have no choice but to move on to one last piece of suspension modification - the Road Race sway bar. Release it now please! :surprise:

As with any upgrade - appreciation comes in even harder when said upgrade is taken away. My oil light shoud be coming on in about 2 weeks - so before making the trek to the dealer I'll be removing the box. My final review will come after that as I'll have had about 600 miles with the box only to remove it for a 60 mile trip to the dealer. I'll also have a better feel for any economy differences.

Overall - I'm happy with my purchase! But damnit... can I get a daggum deacal??? :smug:

Wicked Cinq
05-29-2013, 01:13 PM
I installed the RRM T/C, Corsa Intake and axle back exhaust (Muffler) all together at the same time. I cannot tell you how they work separately, but together at least they were worth it. The car seems to have alittle more torque and power through the whole band. I can easily see the ~20% hp/torque gains they claim, being accurate. I don't know how gas mileage is yet, but probably worse, since I am punching it way more often.

How do you like the borla exhaust? I can say that I love the RRM axle back exhaust. It is really just a muffler and tips. I don't know what kind of power changes can really be expected, but the sound is awesome. It gives it a deep low growl uppon start-up and an angry roar above 3000rpms. There is a little bit of drone when cruising, but nothing too bad. You can hardly hear it over the normal road noise.

Sales@roadrace
06-03-2013, 06:14 PM
I installed the RRM T/C, Corsa Intake and axle back exhaust (Muffler) all together at the same time. I cannot tell you how they work separately, but together at least they were worth it. The car seems to have alittle more torque and power through the whole band. I can easily see the ~20% hp/torque gains they claim, being accurate. I don't know how gas mileage is yet, but probably worse, since I am punching it way more often.

How do you like the borla exhaust? I can say that I love the RRM axle back exhaust. It is really just a muffler and tips. I don't know what kind of power changes can really be expected, but the sound is awesome. It gives it a deep low growl uppon start-up and an angry roar above 3000rpms. There is a little bit of drone when cruising, but nothing too bad. You can hardly hear it over the normal road noise.

Thank you for your purchase and feel free to post a picture on our Facebook wall with your Fiat. We love sharing with the online community. www.facebook.com/roadracem.

Sales@roadrace
06-07-2013, 03:52 PM
Here's a dyno sheet that helps shed some light on how the timing controller works. As you can see from the graph here, we did a stock 500 run and then installed our timing controller onto the same 500 and this is the results of that dyno run. You can see a VERY broad increase in overall power and that is due to the advancing of the Fiat 500's ignition timing. Customers consistently report more usable power in any rpm range and even going "uphill" is an easier task with our timing controller. Added bonus is that it appears some of our customers are reporting MPG increases. Big plus. Which means this part will eventually pay for itself in the form of increased miles per gallon. Don't hesitate to give us a call if you have any questions regarding this product.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6201/6072289008_2820cdfc79.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/roadrace/6072289008/)

Sales@roadrace
06-13-2013, 05:40 PM
Back in stock :D

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7395/9037003454_f966bb55ca_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/roadrace/9037003454/)