PDA

View Full Version : New Abarth, Old problems?

ferrarifixer
06-23-2012, 11:57 AM
Hello All,
Well I picked up my new RED Abarth with red and black interior two weeks and 623 miles ago. I've been reading this forum for a while now and can report that the issues that many have experienced....and now including me....haven't been addressed by the factory or dealers yet.
I do like the car, it's fun and sounds great, but I don't think Fiat/Chrysler is getting the feedback with concerns that seemingly haven't been resolved yet.
1. upon delivery I checked my tire pressure.....yep.. 40 psi front and rear. I guess they didn't get the memo...and the dealer prep is probably little more than washing the car and removing the plastic on the seats, I guess.
2. yep, the rear washer dribbles. I'm betting a simple check valve would fix this...I guess it isn't worth the 50 cents that it would cost to eliminate this.
3. My intercooler piping has NOT fallen off yet, but I guess I should check to see if the clamps are there and tight.
4. I do notice that the steering seems 'nervous' over 55 mph. I hadn't read anything about this, maybe mine needs a proper alignment. But it just seems to wander and constant attention is needed to keep it going straight. It's a little tiring to drive any distance on the interstates. I'm betting that it needs a little more toe in or a little more caster to 'keep it straight'. I'll check that soon and report back.
5. OK...The check engine light came on last night. It has a code P04AC. My snap-on Modis Scanner tells me next to nothing....it's a manufactures code....another game Chrysler plays to not share information I guess. Fiat software is not available yet to non Fiat dealers, so I'm stuck. My dealer is over 3 hours away.....I'm not looking forward to driving 6 hours to have them tell me they need to order a part and to come back in a week or two to get it fixed.. Car runs fine, gas cap was tight. I did clear the code and it hasn't returned yet.

Are there any Fiat techs out there that could shed a little light on this code? I'd appreciate a description of the code and maybe a trouble tree to diagnose and repair it. I'd rather spend $100 and fix it here than waste a day driving to the dealer...and probably another day to return for parts installation...

Thanks in advance! and Ciao!
Michael Scaglione
Classic Auto
Windber, Pa.
814-467-5431

msjulie33
06-23-2012, 12:59 PM
P04AC= Purge Control Valve Circuit Low
The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) detects that the driver circuit voltage is too low.

Possible causes:

* FUSED ASD RELAY OUTPUT CIRCUIT OPEN/HIGH RESISTANCE
* OBD VENT VALVE DRIVER CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
* OBD VENT VALVE

Google told me that - not super useful maybe

pchop
06-23-2012, 03:25 PM
Michael,

I, too got the P04AC DT Code @ 170 miles. Try to "wiggled" and tighten (if necessary) the battery leads. Apparently the turbo generates so much heat and is causing the leads to loosen. My CEL has not returned since.

Fiat500USA
06-23-2012, 05:14 PM
P04AC= Purge Control Valve Circuit Low
The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) detects that the driver circuit voltage is too low.

Possible causes:

* FUSED ASD RELAY OUTPUT CIRCUIT OPEN/HIGH RESISTANCE
* OBD VENT VALVE DRIVER CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
* OBD VENT VALVE

Google told me that - not super useful maybe

Don't forget to search this forum. I am the one who actually posted that here (http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?5432-Engine-sluggish-and-check-engine-light-on-after-1400-miles/page5&highlight=P04AC). ;)

Fiat500USA
06-23-2012, 08:31 PM
..not super useful maybe

That is the code definition which is useful to trained technicians...

nojeebs
06-24-2012, 09:12 PM
I know the car is giving many of us growing pains but I'm just so glad to have such a friendly community to go to and look up information about my car. :) Sorry a bit off-topic but I had to share my feelings as I read this thread. Hope everything else goes smoothly for you ferrairifixer!

msjulie33
06-24-2012, 11:07 PM
Don't forget to search this forum. I am the one who actually posted that here (http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?5432-Engine-sluggish-and-check-engine-light-on-after-1400-miles/page5&highlight=P04AC). ;)

Cool. No offense, google is faster :)

BillE
06-25-2012, 10:58 AM
Michael,

You mentioned "I do like the car, it's fun and sounds great....". FYI, I love my Abarth - and it's my second one ;)
Nevertheless, I'd also like to see Fiat and the dealers get on top of these issues more quickly.

1. My Abarth was delivered with 40 psi too. Not a huge issue but one that, together with a subsequent experience of ineptness with the dealer's service department, has me driving 115 miles to a studio which takes pride in what they're doing including not delivering cars with incorrect pressures. It's annoying that so many dealers (as evidenced on this forum) are still delivering cars without setting the pressures.

2. Rear nozzle dripping: mine does too and (again, as evidenced on this forum) it seems to be a recurring issue without a simple fix yet.

4. Steering: I certainly experienced something similar to what you wrote "....it just seems to wander and constant attention is needed to keep it going straight. It's a little tiring to drive any distance on the interstates." My Abarth, upon delivery, absolutely drifted to the left when accelerating (gently, moderately and quickly) and drifted to the right (perhaps even a bit more so) when deccelerating. The dealer (the good one) found a component of the front-end not tightened to spec which he corrected and then did an alignment. It is now lots better, not perfect, but maybe ok.

5. My check engine light didn't come on until 1300 miles when I was, coincidentally, on my first drive to the good dealer to have #4 and some other things looked into (one of which was that the Outside/Inside Air knob on our manual climate control didn't do anything, i.e. it just flopped from side to side. it turns out there was no corresponding switch for it on the sub-panel behind the dashboard.). The check engine light's code was P1CEA and was eventually said to be an issue with a 'purge' something. A part was replaced and it's ok now.

Cheers.

FiatGusto
06-25-2012, 11:04 AM
Glad things are better.
BUT, the a/c knob with NO switch is inexcusable. How in heck
was this TESTED before leaving Toluca????

Should not have happened.

Shagnwrx
06-25-2012, 11:07 AM
Micheal, the nervousness you feel with steering above 55 mph is most likely the fact that the cars come from the factory with 1.5 degrees negative camber... That combined with the low profile tires will make the car walk a bit in the slightest of pavement undulations. The plus side is that with a setup like that, the turn-in is quite remarkable!!

Pinecone
06-25-2012, 02:07 PM
There is a check valve in the washer nozzle.

Some have had them replaced and not had a dribble. Others seem to stop dribblign after a period of time.

FTY
06-28-2012, 09:57 AM
Micheal, the nervousness you feel with steering above 55 mph is most likely the fact that the cars come from the factory with 1.5 degrees negative camber... That combined with the low profile tires will make the car walk a bit in the slightest of pavement undulations. The plus side is that with a setup like that, the turn-in is quite remarkable!!

The turn-in....really makes this car!!

AbarthNut
07-22-2012, 11:18 PM
[...]My Abarth, upon delivery, absolutely drifted to the left when accelerating (gently, moderately and quickly) and drifted to the right (perhaps even a bit more so) when deccelerating. The dealer (the good one) found a component of the front-end not tightened to spec which he corrected and then did an alignment. It is now lots better, not perfect, but maybe ok.

Hi Bill,

Can you tell use what that component is?

...Mine pulls to the right under hard acceleration and snaps to the right with hard braking, it stops pretty well until a certain speed is hit then dives to the right like the left front is tucking under.

Thanks,
Mark

BillE
07-24-2012, 08:14 AM
Hi Bill,

Can you tell use what that component is?

...Mine pulls to the right under hard acceleration and snaps to the right with hard braking, it stops pretty well until a certain speed is hit then dives to the right like the left front is tucking under.

Thanks,
Mark

Hi Mark,

The Service Ticket just says "Tightened Subframe Bolts". Good luck with yours. Let us know what the issue turns out to be.

Cheers.

FTY
07-24-2012, 08:55 AM
Hello All,
Well I picked up my new RED Abarth with red and black interior two weeks and 623 miles ago. I've been reading this forum for a while now and can report that the issues that many have experienced....and now including me....haven't been addressed by the factory or dealers yet.
I do like the car, it's fun and sounds great, but I don't think Fiat/Chrysler is getting the feedback with concerns that seemingly haven't been resolved yet.
1. upon delivery I checked my tire pressure.....yep.. 40 psi front and rear. I guess they didn't get the memo...and the dealer prep is probably little more than washing the car and removing the plastic on the seats, I guess.
2. yep, the rear washer dribbles. I'm betting a simple check valve would fix this...I guess it isn't worth the 50 cents that it would cost to eliminate this.
3. My intercooler piping has NOT fallen off yet, but I guess I should check to see if the clamps are there and tight.
4. I do notice that the steering seems 'nervous' over 55 mph. I hadn't read anything about this, maybe mine needs a proper alignment. But it just seems to wander and constant attention is needed to keep it going straight. It's a little tiring to drive any distance on the interstates. I'm betting that it needs a little more toe in or a little more caster to 'keep it straight'. I'll check that soon and report back.
5. OK...The check engine light came on last night. It has a code P04AC. My snap-on Modis Scanner tells me next to nothing....it's a manufactures code....another game Chrysler plays to not share information I guess. Fiat software is not available yet to non Fiat dealers, so I'm stuck. My dealer is over 3 hours away.....I'm not looking forward to driving 6 hours to have them tell me they need to order a part and to come back in a week or two to get it fixed.. Car runs fine, gas cap was tight. I did clear the code and it hasn't returned yet.

Are there any Fiat techs out there that could shed a little light on this code? I'd appreciate a description of the code and maybe a trouble tree to diagnose and repair it. I'd rather spend $100 and fix it here than waste a day driving to the dealer...and probably another day to return for parts installation...

Thanks in advance! and Ciao!
Michael Scaglione
Classic Auto
Windber, Pa.
814-467-5431

#5 is a common issue and is fixed with a ecu update. Had same problem, updated ecu no more issues. Its EVAP issue so it will no affect performance or hurt the engine.

AbarthNut
07-24-2012, 12:47 PM
Hi Mark,

The Service Ticket just says "Tightened Subframe Bolts". Good luck with yours. Let us know what the issue turns out to be.

Cheers.

Thank You!

AbarthNut
07-24-2012, 01:35 PM
#5 is a common issue and is fixed with a ecu update. Had same problem, updated ecu no more issues. Its EVAP issue so it will no affect performance or hurt the engine.

Hi,

Is there a Service Bulletin for this?

My car threw the code this morning, on my way to work. Stopped by the dealer on the way in. They gave me some BS about not being able to reproduce the code. I had them look into the brake pulling issue as well, they checked the steering position sensor and called it good, say I need an alignment. (The sensor is good, but my holding the wheel straight when I brake tells the ECU the car is turning left?) When I bring it back for that I'll ask them to check the subframe bolt torques as well.

Thanks,
Mark