PDA

View Full Version : EVIC display backlights

Dwaynek
06-22-2012, 08:48 PM
Interesting had the dealership check out my speedo backlight as it did not light up during the day when the headlights are on. Turns out vin the Abarth which is different than another 500 there is a light sensor that is capable of detecting the environmental light and adjusting the brightness of the instruments accordingly. This is no were in the manual or the DVD only in the dealership online shop manual. Jonathan of fiat care you should have this noted in the literature for the owners!

Evelyn Salt
06-22-2012, 09:15 PM
Interesting had the dealership check out my speedo backlight as it did not light up during the day when the headlights are on. Turns out vin the Abarth which is different than another 500 there is a light sensor that is capable of detecting the environmental light and adjusting the brightness of the instruments accordingly. This is no were in the manual or the DVD only in the dealership online shop manual. Jonathan of fiat care you should have this noted in the literature for the owners!

This is also true for other 500's.
I have a sport and it's the same with the light sensor.

SeaDawg
06-22-2012, 09:20 PM
This is also true for other 500's.
I have a sport and it's the same with the light sensor.

You are absolutely right and now I remember reading about that last year, but it appears that it's something else that has fallen through the memory cracks over the last year, sigh.

Dwaynek
06-22-2012, 10:40 PM
think I missed all that on my sport!

nojeebs
06-28-2012, 12:09 PM
Is the back light of the gauges suppose to remain off when the headlights are not on? I feel/thought when I first got my Abarth I saw that it would still glow orange even when I don't have the headlights on.

Actually I'm having a hard time seeing the gauges during the day since they are being covered by the leather hood.

cmj912
06-28-2012, 12:42 PM
Is the back light of the gauges suppose to remain off when the headlights are not on? I feel/thought when I first got my Abarth I saw that it would still glow orange even when I don't have the headlights on.

Actually I'm having a hard time seeing the gauges during the day since they are being covered by the leather hood.

No. If the Abarth is identical to the regular 500, the backlighting for the instrument panel is turned off when the headlights are off. Only the controls on the center console, the mirrors, and the sunroof button remain lit all the time. Also, on a bright but rainy day when you have your lights you will notice the speedometer seems to dim itself: it does.

cmj912
06-28-2012, 12:44 PM

It is interesting how the manuals all seem to be somewhat different. My car does have a reference to the EVIC light sensor in the manual.

ahh-bert
06-29-2012, 02:56 AM
Did you all notice that you have to send away for a printed owner's manual? I kept trying to find stuff in the quick start guide only to learn that they will mail an owner's manual. I didn't realize I didn't have it in my hands! Hopefully when it comes I will better be able to understand some of this stuff. If you haven't already - order your manuals. Surely I can't be the only one who didn't know to do it. :)

Felnus
06-29-2012, 06:22 AM
You already have a copy of your owner's manual (or should have at any rate) on the DVD included with the car at purchase. The search feature is great for finding what you are looking for quickly versus flipping through pages in a book. Also, you can download the My FIAT cell phone app from here http://www.fiatusa.com/en/mobile_apps.html for your iphone or Android which has alot of information as well. Or go here https://www.moparownercenter.com/oc/US/en-US/sub/Documents/2012_FIAT_500Abarth_OM.pdf for your Abarth owners manual online.

And if you are environmentally conscious, remember, "Save a tree, use the DVD."

AbarthNut
07-10-2012, 08:57 PM
Hi,

My Manual mentions the EVIC Dimmer setting, but it's not available in the menu...

Huh?

Thanks,
Mark

SeaDawg
07-10-2012, 10:46 PM
Hi,

My Manual mentions the EVIC Dimmer setting, but it's not available in the menu...

Huh?

Thanks,
Mark

I think if you try the + and - buttons on the lower right of the instrument cluster while the headlights are on at night you will find that your speedo and tach backlighting intensity will change. The center EVIC info screen does not change.

Prima 109
07-10-2012, 11:13 PM
I think if you try the + and - buttons on the lower right of the instrument cluster while the headlights are on at night you will find that your speedo and tach backlighting intensity will change. The center EVIC info screen does not change.

Actually it does as well. To set your brightness press and release the + or - button on the bottom of the cluster, than you will see a row of circles in the evic, press and release either + or - to brighten or dim your display. BTW, the light sensor is located above the 60 mph mark on the speedo. If you shine a flashlight in that area, you will see the sensor.

satellite
07-11-2012, 03:38 AM

Yeah, I think on my Abarth the opposite happens...

AbarthNut
07-11-2012, 07:31 AM
Thanks everyone!

So... I can't illuminate the tach and speedometer in daylight.

...Correct?

Thanks again,
Mark

cmj912
07-11-2012, 08:14 AM
Thanks everyone!

So... I can't illuminate the tach and speedometer in daylight.

...Correct?

Thanks again,
Mark

Correct, you cannot.

AbarthNut
07-11-2012, 11:33 PM
Correct, you cannot.

Well, that's unfortunate...

satellite
07-12-2012, 12:31 AM
Well, that's unfortunate...

Well, you can't in stock form. I'm sure someone may come up with a fix for it. I wonder if the sensor was off (disconnected), if it would auto-illuminate at full brightness?

cmj912
07-12-2012, 09:56 AM
Well, you can't in stock form. I'm sure someone may come up with a fix for it. I wonder if the sensor was off (disconnected), if it would auto-illuminate at full brightness?

Or not illuminate, ever, at all if disconnected.

You could probably try to figure out a way to remove the cluster and cover the sensor, but I wouldn't want to risk damaging it or invalidating the warranty on it.

NeroAbarth
07-13-2012, 09:35 AM
Seems to me if you wanted to deactivate the sensor, all you'd have to do is put a tiny piece of black electrical tape over it. Then it would think it was night all the time.

Jfcrabbit
08-11-2012, 03:54 PM
Thank you all.........but as a new Abarth owner this really sucks. A go fast car that you can't see your speed or the tach during the day. Wow this will be great when you track it. It will even be great every day driving when you tell the cop, Sorry officer I can' see my speedometer . Talk about a necessary fix. Love the car but this is pretty basic.

Peachdad
08-12-2012, 01:21 PM
Thank you all.........but as a new Abarth owner this really sucks. A go fast car that you can't see your speed or the tach during the day. Wow this will be great when you track it. It will even be great every day driving when you tell the cop, Sorry officer I can' see my speedometer . Talk about a necessary fix. Love the car but this is pretty basic.

The shift up light will signal the red-line and the EVIC can be set to show speed.