PDA

View Full Version : Run-flats on the 17" rims?

nmcomp
06-21-2012, 10:10 AM
Has anyone considered and/or swapped out the summer performance tires for run-flats?
I'll need to swap out tires in the fall and am thinking they'd be a good idea.
Thoughts?

SeaDawg
06-21-2012, 10:38 AM
Has anyone considered and/or swapped out the summer performance tires for run-flats? I'll need to swap out tires in the fall and am thinking they'd be a good idea. Thoughts?

I've NEVER used run-flats, but from reading from those who had them on their Mini's, in the future they'd avoid them like vampires avoid garlic. My understanding is they are expensive and ride like the tires were made of stone.

Again, this is all hearsay to me, but definitely do some research before you think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

sjmst
06-21-2012, 11:12 AM
I have NEVER heard anything good about run flats. I'd rather have a flat!

deathshead
06-21-2012, 11:23 AM
I have NEVER heard anything good about run flats. I'd rather have a flat!

ANYONE I have ever heard that had run flats, either stock or otherwise NEVER went back to them. off the top of my head I know the bmw 1 series comes with them stock and those guys hate them too. \

Get AAA? lol

Heres another question, Why wont a Donut spare fit in the back ?

even my old Ford Festivas were able to fit a donut.

Sealy
06-21-2012, 11:42 AM
I've had run flats on both my BMW 3 Series Touring and my MINI Countryman. BMW, for some reason, loves these tires. Things to consider - they're performance tires (no snow, no winter driving, no rain), they ride extremely rough (smooth roads only, no pot holes, no grooved roads), they have a tendency to bubble (inspect them frequently), and they are not recommend for repair (that bubble is a $400 replacement - insurance is almost mandatory). My SO has a 2011 5 Series sedan - so far he's replace 2 tires, then they replaced the whole set (long story), and he just got another bubble. Obviously, I'd not recomend them.

RobR
06-21-2012, 02:24 PM
Things to consider - they're performance tires (no snow, no winter driving, no rain

No rain?! Definitely not performance tires then, I would avoid them too just for that.

Vaejovis carolinanus aka lowconabarth
06-21-2012, 03:16 PM
I've never had them, but friends have told me to stay away for reasons already stated. Whats the deal with the P7s, are these tires the same tread from the 80's P7s I had on my 83 Honda 1500S? I've been dealing with Costco for tires, but they don't carry Pirelli. So I guess it's Sam's now or change brands?

SeaDawg
06-21-2012, 03:22 PM
I've never had them, but friends have told me to stay away for reasons already stated. Whats the deal with the P7s, are these tires the same tread from the 80's P7s I had on my 83 Honda 1500S? I've been dealing with Costco for tires, but they don't carry Pirelli. So I guess it's Sam's now or change brands?

I've never seen Pirelli's at my local Sam's Club either. What about Tire Rack and have them shipped to a local recommended installer?

nmcomp
06-22-2012, 10:38 AM
I had OEM Goodyear Eagle RS-A EMT run flats on my 2003 MINI Cooper S.
Never had any problems with them and they were terrific in rain and snow.
Did seem a little hard riding but were very durable on the crappy DC area roads.
Since the Abarth can't carry a spare (the under hatch area where it normally goes is used up by the exhaust), I was thinking maybe performance all-season run flats would be a good idea.

Thanks for the feedback...

geeded
06-24-2012, 02:22 PM
They were standard on our '06 MINI S, and I have never disliked a tire more. We tried to stomach them until they wore out but gave up after a few thousand miles and switched to 'normal' tires. They DO ride like stone, transmit ALL bumps, shakes, etc directly into your hands and butt. We purchased a 'Slime' kit (pump, goop), have AAA premium and never looked back. I have a brand new run-flat for the MINI under the deck if anyone wants to come and get it, assuming there are some masochists out there.

So NO, stay away from them. On a related note, C&D did a year test on the BMW 5 and they had (I think) 5 or 6 run-flat tire failures at $400 a pop. YMMV but never trust a car company that takes your spare and refuses to have an oil dipstick for their engine.

The Abarth doesn't have a spare but it's not a family car and I know that.

Cheers

CLXXV
06-24-2012, 04:40 PM
Heed the words of the anti-run-flat mob!

The OEM PZero Neros that are included with the 17" wheels are very good tires. The only way I'd switch is if the new Michelin Super Sports came in the correct size (which they don't). I'm not a fan of the 16" all-season P7s that are standard (or ANY all-season tires, for that matter).

SeaDawg
06-24-2012, 04:57 PM
YMMV but never trust a car company that takes your spare and refuses to have an oil dipstick for their engine.

Cheers

You've GOT to be kiiding me, right? NO oil dipstick...?

CLXXV
06-24-2012, 05:17 PM
You've GOT to be kiiding me, right? NO oil dipstick...?

It's more common than you'd expect. My XKR doesn't have one and neither did my CLK500. You check it via the instrument panel. Easier to read than a dispstick, so I don't understand why someone would have a problem with it. Of all the goofy gadgets on cars these days, an electronic readout for oil level doesn't seem weird to me at all.

SeaDawg
06-24-2012, 05:25 PM
Of all the goofy gadgets on cars these days, an electronic readout for oil level doesn't seem weird to me at all.

I'd probably get used to it, but my view on an electronic oil dipstick is sort of what a lot of people think about automatic climate control systems....

ukeluthier
06-25-2012, 05:50 PM
It's more common than you'd expect. My XKR doesn't have one and neither did my CLK500. You check it via the instrument panel. Easier to read than a dispstick, so I don't understand why someone would have a problem with it. Of all the goofy gadgets on cars these days, an electronic readout for oil level doesn't seem weird to me at all.

Take it from a retired electronics engineer... the LAST goofy gadget you'd want to rely on to protect an expensive engine is an electronic oil level readout. Electronic sensors of all kinds fail at an alarming rate under real-world environmental conditions. When was the last time you heard of an old-fashioned dipstick failing?

German engineers have generally gone berserk... over-engineering solutions for problems that don't exist. I guess the K.I.S.S. principle doesn't translate into German. ;-)