PDA

View Full Version : US Aftermarket Wheels

capobianco
06-20-2012, 09:29 PM
Okay. Still waiting for my Abarth. Delivery is estimated to be middle of July. I don't think it is even built yet. And I'm getting antsy.

I've been doing internet searches and forum scans trying to find wheels: aftermarket, Mopar, OE, etc. My car will be built with the standard 16" wheels but I really don't find them to be attractive at all! Living in New Jersey with potholes galore, I want to stay with 16". Went to the Tire Rack and saw the O.Z. Superturismo in white, silver, and black that look like the optional forged 17's that I really like.

Here's the challenge. Show me some pics of 16" wheels that are available in the U.S. that will work on our Abarths.

FTY
06-20-2012, 10:00 PM
You can widen your horizons a bit with the use of wobble bolts... 4X100. Its a VW pattern and there are lots of things avail. (Fiat 4x98)

GileraWarren
06-20-2012, 11:36 PM
You can widen your horizons a bit with the use of wobble bolts... 4X100. Its a VW pattern and there are lots of things avail. (Fiat 4x98)

Well let me tell you about my experience with that. I bought a set of wheels (Drag9) 17x7 w/4x100mm bolt pattern from Discount Tire Direct, had them mount some tires and tire pressure moniters balances and shipped. really good price. Bought some wobble bolts from Tulip city and some centering rings which I machined to use on the Fiat. I was very proud of myself since I got everything for the price of the optional 17's from Fiat. Well when the car finally got here the diameter of the cones on the wobble bolts wouldn't clear the opening to fasten down the wheel. So I ended up buying some 17' wheels with the proper 98mm pattern. Dismount the tires from the other wheels get them rebalanced and now try and recoup the money for a set of 100mm wheels here that I can'return because they had wheels mounted. Soooo what looks like a savings might end up costing you a lot more. Happy hunting

FTY
06-21-2012, 01:02 AM
Well let me tell you about my experience with that. I bought a set of wheels (Drag9) 17x7 w/4x100mm bolt pattern from Discount Tire Direct, had them mount some tires and tire pressure moniters balances and shipped. really good price. Bought some wobble bolts from Tulip city and some centering rings which I machined to use on the Fiat. I was very proud of myself since I got everything for the price of the optional 17's from Fiat. Well when the car finally got here the diameter of the cones on the wobble bolts wouldn't clear the opening to fasten down the wheel. So I ended up buying some 17' wheels with the proper 98mm pattern. Dismount the tires from the other wheels get them rebalanced and now try and recoup the money for a set of 100mm wheels here that I can'return because they had wheels mounted. Soooo what looks like a savings might end up costing you a lot more. Happy hunting

Aww man..what a pain in the ass. Sometimes you get the bull and sometimes you get the...... Any chance you could get a different set of wobble bolts?

Pinecone
06-21-2012, 06:51 AM
If you want to sell your stock 16" wheels and tires, get in touch with me. I am in NE MD, so we could do the deal without shipping.

SeaDawg
06-21-2012, 10:54 AM
I was very proud of myself since I got everything for the price of the optional 17's from Fiat. Well when the car finally got here the diameter of the cones on the wobble bolts wouldn't clear the opening to fasten down the wheel. So I ended up buying some 17' wheels with the proper 98mm pattern. Dismount the tires from the other wheels get them rebalanced and now try and recoup the money for a set of 100mm wheels here that I can'return because they had wheels mounted. Soooo what looks like a savings might end up costing you a lot more. Happy hunting

You definitely make me thankful for shopping at Tire Rack. If you buy 4 x 100 wheels from them they include the proper centering rings and wobble bolts and everything DOES work when you go to install the assembled wheel/tire assemblies. Not sure I got a better initial deal than you, but certainly less of a headache in the end.

How about adding some photos of your Abarth with the new shoes here or to your garage?

RobR
06-21-2012, 02:28 PM
You definitely make me thankful for shopping at Tire Rack. If you buy 4 x 100 wheels from them they include the proper centering rings and wobble bolts and everything DOES work when you go to install the assembled wheel/tire assemblies. Not sure I got a better initial deal than you, but certainly less of a headache in the end.

Exactly...I bought some Enkei PF01's from Tire Rack for my Lounge and as you said everything required from them worked like a charm, even the TPMS.

06-21-2012, 02:40 PM
THIS is sooo good to hear as my winter set arrive any day and I was worried about this wobble bolt issue as never used them before.

MADNESSMIKE
06-21-2012, 03:27 PM
We carry a number of 16" wheels. And all of our wheels are 4x98.

http://www.500madness.com/500madness/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=88

FTY
06-21-2012, 04:06 PM
Wobble Bolt use is TUV approved FYI.

http://www.serpentautosport.com/wheel_accessories_lugs.htm

Alot of older Alfas and VWs used them, with no issues.

GileraWarren
06-21-2012, 07:35 PM

How about adding some photos of your Abarth with the new shoes here or to your garage?

Hope these come through

GileraWarren
06-21-2012, 07:42 PM
If you want to sell your stock 16" wheels and tires, get in touch with me. I am in NE MD, so we could do the deal without shipping.

Check your PM

smoove7410
06-21-2012, 11:07 PM
I love varrstoen wheels....

15x8
15x9
16x8
16x9
+25 +15 +0
5x114.3, 4x114.3, 4x100

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/s720x720/303566_430497500323738_525769165_n.jpg

Volk knock-offs....really clean.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/VarrsToen-Wheels-USA/213724318667725

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/379015_325550640818425_2016268190_n.jpg

capobianco
06-22-2012, 07:17 AM
Sorry, Pinecone. Every car I own has a dedicated set of snows mounted on wheels. I'm near the NY State border and most years we get our fair share of snow. I plan on mounting snow tires on them. My garage has stacks of tires to fit 4 different cars. It looks like the Indy 500 pit lane here twice a year.

capobianco
06-22-2012, 07:36 AM
Thanks for all the feedback! I've done a little research into the wobble bolts and was on the fence about them. They seem to be a viable alternative and can open up wheel choices. I've been using Tire Rack for many years and they've never steered me wrong yet.

Another question. What's the real world experience living with white wheels. I am not a fanatic about washing and waxing my cars so I won't be scrubbing them daily. Do the OEM Abarth brakes throw off a lot of black brake dust? Should I consider silver (or dreaded black) wheels instead?

Anyone have pics of your wheels?

capobianco
06-22-2012, 07:52 AM
Hope these come through

Nice wheels. What kind are they? They look like the OZ wheels I'm interested in. Ate those the wheels you got from Tire Rack with wobble bolts?

capobianco
06-22-2012, 08:45 PM
Looked at 500Madness site and their team dynamics 1.2 wheels in 16" silver look very nice. Anyone have them? Is the offset right?

nsorens
06-22-2012, 09:24 PM
13.8 pounds make these 16" O.Z. Alleggerita HLT's the fastest accelerating wheels you can put on the Abarth. The improved handling and braking come along as a bonus (they look nice too). No wobbles with the wobble bolts...

GileraWarren
06-22-2012, 10:31 PM
Nice wheels. What kind are they? They look like the OZ wheels I'm interested in. Ate those the wheels you got from Tire Rack with wobble bolts?

These are team dynamics 1.2 that I got from Madness

capobianco
06-24-2012, 09:38 PM
These are team dynamics 1.2 that I got from Madness

They look great! You've got them in 17". I've been going back and forth about wheel size and think I'll stay with 16" wheels. The team dynamics 1.2 wheels come in both 16 & 17" so I've got another few weeks to decide. I think NJ invented the pothole (and NY and PA ran with it) so more rubber equals more rim protection. We've already blown out our fair share of sidewalls recently on all of our other cars so I'm leaning towards 16".

Ferrero1911
06-25-2012, 03:22 AM
Thanks for all the feedback! I've done a little research into the wobble bolts and was on the fence about them. They seem to be a viable alternative and can open up wheel choices. I've been using Tire Rack for many years and they've never steered me wrong yet.

Another question. What's the real world experience living with white wheels. I am not a fanatic about washing and waxing my cars so I won't be scrubbing them daily. Do the OEM Abarth brakes throw off a lot of black brake dust? Should I consider silver (or dreaded black) wheels instead?

Anyone have pics of your wheels?

My wheels are red and I can tell you the OEM brakes throw off a lot of dust. I just washed my car so they're not too bad right now. I'll try to get a picture of what they look like after my commute tomorrow.

capobianco
06-25-2012, 07:37 AM
I'd like to see what brake dust looks like after a week or so of normal driving. I'm leaning more towards silver wheels (I'm more of a traditionalist - I wear white socks when I wear sneakers, not black socks). Dirty silver wheels look better than dirty white wheels.

500MADNESS.com
06-25-2012, 02:51 PM
The Team Dynamics 1.2 wheels come in 16". We stock them and can honestly tell you from our experience they are very well made and the company is great to work with if you should ever need a spare or a replacement.

DIVSAbarth500
06-25-2012, 04:12 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about the ride quality on 17s with the Abarth. I am running 17 X & O.Z. Leggenda on BFG g- force KDW 2 205/40 and the ride quality as been surprisingly good. Much better than my fathers Cooper S on stock 16s. I live in NYC so awful roads are the rule rather than the exception but everyone who has been in the car is amazed at the ride quality.

capobianco
06-25-2012, 05:32 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about the ride quality on 17s with the Abarth. I am running 17 X & O.Z. Leggenda on BFG g- force KDW 2 205/40 and the ride quality as been surprisingly good. Much better than my fathers Cooper S on stock 16s. I live in NYC so awful roads are the rule rather than the exception but everyone who has been in the car is amazed at the ride quality.

Thanks DIVSAbarth500. I've heard that the ride quality is good with the 17's but my concern is blowing out sidewalls on potholes. I've got a MB E550 with 17" and 40 series tires that has gone through 3 sidewall damage that required replacement. We have to remember that the sidewall of the tire is part of the suspension, too. But, despite everything, I'm leaning more towards 17's (I really like the team dynamics 1.2 wheels from 500 Madness).

GileraWarren
06-25-2012, 06:06 PM
Thanks DIVSAbarth500. I've heard that the ride quality is good with the 17's but my concern is blowing out sidewalls on potholes. I've got a MB E550 with 17" and 40 series tires that has gone through 3 sidewall damage that required replacement. We have to remember that the sidewall of the tire is part of the suspension, too. But, despite everything, I'm leaning more towards 17's (I really like the team dynamics 1.2 wheels from 500 Madness).

I agree the ride quality is not bad at all with the 17's, better than most mini's I've driven. One reason I chose the Dynamics 1.2 wheels. They are the official supplier of wheels for the BTTC and the way those guys run over each oth and everything else I figure some Pa pot holes aren't going to damage them. One other recommendation is the tires. I have Nitto NT NeoGen ZR tires. They get great reviews, I think they are great so far, they're very reasonable and they're made in USA. Just sayin......

mjanowich
06-25-2012, 11:27 PM
Would the stock 17" summer tires fit on the Team Dynamics 17" wheels? My wife has been eyeballing the Team Dynamics wheels because she wants white wheels and the Abarth we have on order comes with 17" black wheels. We're thinking of getting the Team Dynamics wheels and having the OEM tires mounted on them and getting some winter/all weather tires for the black OEM wheels. I'm assuming they would, though I've never had to deal with aftermarket wheels before so I'm in the dark on this one.

Scorpion
06-25-2012, 11:35 PM
I'm taking my car (Bianco/Red Abarth) to Tire Rack tomorrow so that they can test fit a few different wheel combinations as well as photograph the car for their website. I'll post pics as soon as I have them.

DIVSAbarth500
06-26-2012, 01:02 AM

I usually try to remember any major potholes on roads that I frequent so I can prepare to avoid them. However, I have noticed that because the Abarth is so small and quick, it is very easy to avoid potholes just by being alert and swerving around them when necessary (and safe to do so). The car is so small that most of the time I can swerve and still be in my lane lol.

capobianco
06-26-2012, 09:55 PM
I'm taking my car (Bianco/Red Abarth) to Tire Rack tomorrow so that they can test fit a few different wheel combinations as well as photograph the car for their website. I'll post pics as soon as I have them.

Looking forward to the pics. I ordered the same color scheme as yours (also the best color scheme, IMO).

Ferrero1911
06-27-2012, 02:55 AM
Here are some pictures of my wheels 3 days/80 miles after being washed. I drive mostly in stop and go city traffic.

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r640/Ferrero1911/dirty%20wheels/file-1.jpg

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r640/Ferrero1911/dirty%20wheels/file.jpg

captaindorko
06-27-2012, 03:20 AM
I am looking for a 2nd set of wheels for my Abarth mainly because I dont want to subject the white rims to Pennsylvania winters. Ive been thinking about these 2619 or maybe even these 2620 I'm not sure how they'd look on my car, any photoshop wizards??? I'm not terribly concerned with fitment, they're from 1552, and I've been told they will work with customers for fitment. My main concern would be how the finish holds up, but since I can't seem to find any "steelies" to fit the Abarth and I'm going to have to go with at least low end aftermarket wheels, I figured I should get a set that I wouldn't mind using for race tires. Does anyone any have experience with either of these wheels or any other 1552 wheels on their Abarth's?

ChicagoAbarth
06-27-2012, 03:31 PM
any photoshop wizards???

I'm more of a photoshop hack, but I gave it a shot.

Between the two of them, I like the teardrops better

capobianco
06-27-2012, 09:10 PM
[QUOTE=Ferrero1911;563482]Here are some pictures of my wheels 3 days/80 miles after being washed. I drive mostly in stop and go city traffic.

Lots of brake dust! I'm convinced. 17" race dynamics 1.2 in silver.

I remember in the 70's having a 124 spider and with Cromadora wheels and Ferrodo Metal Master dustless pads that had lots of stopping power and kept the wheels clean. Anyone know of different brake pads to still give good stopping power but throw off less black brake dust?

cspak71
06-28-2012, 07:17 PM
I am looking for a 2nd set of wheels for my Abarth mainly because I dont want to subject the white rims to Pennsylvania winters. Ive been thinking about these 2619 or maybe even these 2620 I'm not sure how they'd look on my car, any photoshop wizards??? I'm not terribly concerned with fitment, they're from 1552, and I've been told they will work with customers for fitment. My main concern would be how the finish holds up, but since I can't seem to find any "steelies" to fit the Abarth and I'm going to have to go with at least low end aftermarket wheels, I figured I should get a set that I wouldn't mind using for race tires. Does anyone any have experience with either of these wheels or any other 1552 wheels on their Abarth's?

Whew, for a second there I wasn't sure where this was going... but if you need total cheap rims, then I saw go with the teardrops, less tacky then the other one, IMHO.

HF Stinger
06-29-2012, 12:14 AM
[QUOTE=Ferrero1911;563482]Here are some pictures of my wheels 3 days/80 miles after being washed. I drive mostly in stop and go city traffic.

Lots of brake dust! I'm convinced. 17" race dynamics 1.2 in silver.

I remember in the 70's having a 124 spider and with Cromadora wheels and Ferrodo Metal Master dustless pads that had lots of stopping power and kept the wheels clean. Anyone know of different brake pads to still give good stopping power but throw off less black brake dust?

EBC Reds are pretty well known and advertised as being a very 'clean' pad as well. I haven't looked to see if they have an application for the Abarth yet though.

captaindorko
06-29-2012, 02:36 AM
Whew, for a second there I wasn't sure where this was going... but if you need total cheap rims, then I saw go with the teardrops, less tacky then the other one, IMHO.
Yeah sorry about that sometimes after a couple beers i can get long winded and nonsensical. And I didn't mean to imply that either of those wheels were cheap, they're actually very high quality and a tad expensive, I guess my point was supposed to be if i have to spend 150 or so a wheel i might as well spend 25-300 and get something nice that I wouldn't feel bad putting on my Abarth.
And thanks ChicagoAbarth for the photoshop.

Pinecone
06-29-2012, 09:47 AM
Axxis Deluxe, Deluxe Plus, and Metal Masters are fairly low dust with good stopping power. Axxis used to be PBR and before that (for the old timers) Repco. I used them on my Fiat 850 Spider (Repco Deluxe). I have Axxis Metal Masters on one car, Axxis Ultimates (NOT low dust) on another.

Mintex red box pads are also nice and low dust.

The EBCs were known for serious rotor wear on BMWs, at least in the early 00s.

Scorpion
06-29-2012, 10:31 AM
Thought I'd throw this shot in here from the Tire Rack photo shoot. This is the view that will be used in their online wheel configurator for the Abarth.

http://www.focaljet.com/x-images/2012_Fiat_500_Abarth_sideview.jpg

Will post the aftermarket wheel shots as soon as I process them.

capobianco
06-29-2012, 10:54 PM
Sorry, I said Ferodo but they were Repco Metal Masters (thanks Pinecone).

Scorpion. Your car looks GREAT! BTW, I am waiting for the same color combo but with standard (read=ulgy) 16" wheels.

I'm really liking the team dynamics1.2 17" wheels in silver. Wish I could see pics (like tire rack does) of different wheels from other sources. I still have 10 days until delivery and I'll break it in with the standard wheels and tires.

Dezigngrl
07-04-2012, 12:37 PM
Working with the theory that a smaller wheel size offers better travel on snowy roads, does anyone have any thoughts on going down a wheel size, say to 15"? Does anyone have any experience with this?

capobianco
07-04-2012, 04:59 PM
Working with the theory that a smaller wheel size offers better travel on snowy roads, does anyone have any thoughts on going down a wheel size, say to 15"? Does anyone have any experience with this?

I think the size of the brakes is the limiting factor. I am not sure but I think 15" won't fit. Others on this forum have looked for steel wheels in 16" size to put snows on but they don't make them and I believe 15" were not an option because of this. Minimum size will be 16". Can anyone confirm this for us?

Scorpion
07-09-2012, 01:29 PM
Finally got the images from the Tire Rack studio shoot. Here are some 17" OZ Alleggerita HLTs in Matte Graphite:

http://focaljet.com/x-images/abarth-oz.jpg

Scorpion
07-09-2012, 01:33 PM
We also tried these on. What do you think?

http://focaljet.com/x-images/abarth-red-oz.jpg

satellite
07-11-2012, 01:31 AM
Finally got the images from the Tire Rack studio shoot. Here are some 17" OZ Alleggerita HLTs in Matte Graphite:
]

Those need the wobble bolts though, correct?

SeaDawg
07-11-2012, 03:21 AM
Those need the wobble bolts though, correct?

According to the Tire Rack Website, the 17" Matte Graphite Silver wheels are 4 x 98. They are one of the $359.00 p/wheel group. The $319.00 p/wheel 17" Painted Anthracite is a 4 x 100 and requires floating head or wobble bolts.

Ferrero1911
07-11-2012, 04:08 AM
The Alleggeritas do not need wobble bolts. At least not the red ones.

ace51
07-11-2012, 08:30 AM
I would invest money in lowering springs or coilovers first, that gap is big

satellite
07-11-2012, 11:32 PM
Hmm...those Alleggerita HLTs are NICE. Now which color? :-)

satellite
07-11-2012, 11:35 PM
According to the Tire Rack Website, the 17" Matte Graphite Silver wheels are 4 x 98. They are one of the $359.00 p/wheel group. The $319.00 p/wheel 17" Painted Anthracite is a 4 x 100 and requires floating head or wobble bolts.

Oh! That is sneaky...I just noticed they have a drop down that shows two different 17x7 wheels...one is the 4x100 and one is the 4x98! Got it now, thanks!

deathshead
07-13-2012, 12:06 PM

Repo BROKESWAGEN Teardrops? Oh the humanity! everyone will think your rocking junkyard 1980s scirocco wheels.