PDA

View Full Version : Leather seats question/problem

nojeebs
06-20-2012, 11:39 AM
I was wondering if anyone has dented the leather on the seats. I noticed yesterday after getting the car worked on at a shop that I had dents in the leather....well more like stretches in the leather due to someone putting down one of the back seats and didn't notice that the metal part of the seat belt was being pressed into the seat. It looks pretty bad and I'm worried that it's not going to go away. This is my first leather interior so I'm really at a lose in how to cope with this.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

luckymoi
06-20-2012, 11:56 AM
Not for the cinquecento but I did have some door panel issues with the G35, detailer had a go... did not last long... I went to auto upholstery place in town ( a vanishing breed).
Why not run the car over and see what their thoughts are... don't call just pop in and chat.

EliRider
06-20-2012, 12:13 PM
Yes, mine does site same thing... I do not fold down my seats and have the same concerns. It appears that the rear seat belt clip is too high.

I was wondering if anyone has dented the leather on the seats. I noticed yesterday after getting the car worked on at a shop that I had dents in the leather....well more like stretches in the leather due to someone putting down one of the back seats and didn't notice that the metal part of the seat belt was being pressed into the seat. It looks pretty bad and I'm worried that it's not going to go away. This is my first leather interior so I'm really at a lose in how to cope with this.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

cmj912
06-20-2012, 05:55 PM
Higher-end leather is, unfortunately, more pliable and therefore more susceptible to permanent alteration if left in certain positions too long.
The price one pays for leather with a nicer hand (that is, leather that feels and looks nice) is that it is almost universally less hardy.

When I used to own Volvos many discussions erupted over the owners with the coated (lower end) leather versus the higher end leathers. The lower end feels like wax in winter, the higher end will dent if you leave a briefcase on it for too long.

VERY careful application of heat while pressing around it with your hand may cause it to pop out and become smooth again, but it might not. I think you may just need to be careful in general of the positioning of the seat belt latches.

There have been some comments about the hardiness of the Abarth leather (I seem to recall a post from sjmst about the leather in the Abarth he saw in the auto show); fewer regarding the leather used in the Lounge. However, finding a Lounge owner and asking them how they are faring may give you at least some idea of what to expect.

nojeebs
06-20-2012, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the replies. Checked it this afternoon. It's been almost 24 hours since I've noticed the damage and it's still looking the same. Going to call up the shop and see what they say. Thinking of applying some heat to it to see if I can soften it out...I'll wait to hear what the shop says. It's starting to really put a damper on things since the car is just 1 week old.

Mike S
06-20-2012, 08:21 PM
Wipe it down with a wet cloth, just get it a little wet like you were cleaning it. It will probably shrink a bit.

Non destructive and may help. Leather can shrink when it gets wet.

deathshead
06-21-2012, 08:37 AM
I also have concerns over the leather in this car and not sure if I should save the $1000 or not.
I mean the Red leather looks amazing!, but Im a big dude, and wouldnt want to see the seats start cracking and getting stretched.

I have seen many pictures of the abarth leather where the leather on the seat bottom appears to be stretched out, it looks "loose" and is wavy..

Over the last few years it seems that all automotive leather quality has gone down the drain in terms of quality. Its too thin and way too soft to be the "durable" solution.

Anyone remember the 70's and early 80's Cadillac leather? It was like Armor! You could have keys in your pocket, wear a chain wallet, etc.

Nice and thick and if taken care of somewhat still looks great to this day.

It seems like in these new gen cars with leather you have to make sure your wearing sweatpants just to drive the car becuase if you have jeans your going to make imprints.

nojeebs
06-21-2012, 01:20 PM
I realized that my blue jeans might be rubbing off onto the red leather. @____@ Guess no dark wash jeans for me. Bwahahaha. ugggghhhh.

FiatPhil
06-21-2012, 02:37 PM
I've noticed the last couple of cars I've had with leather interiors were not as good as cars from say the 1980s or earlier. My 1998 Mercury had a tan interior, my blue jeans rubbed off on them, and when I cleaned the leather with the approved leather cleaner, the color came out of the seats.

My 2011 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid has light colored leather, and I'm afraid to clean it myself. I've also noticed the leather wrinkles earlier than it used to, and I think the leather is not as thick.

It seems to me the "new" leather is just not as good as leather used to be. It's too easily cut or injured or splits in my opinion. Although I had no choice in my 2011 Lincoln, I opted for cloth in my Fiat and I'm very happy with it. It's more comfortable in the winter even without the seat heater, and definitely not as hot in summer as leather can be.

Vaejovis carolinanus aka lowconabarth
06-21-2012, 02:47 PM
Mine also had a few dents on delivery. I ordered a leather kit from Leatherique ,after 1 full treatment my leather is museum quality. Great product, but takes a sunny day to make it easy. Removes transfer ink from blue jeans and other materials.

Pinecone
06-21-2012, 05:13 PM
The difference is, the older "leather" on US cars was not leather. It was a very thin leather laminated on plastic. So of course it is durable.

You are now dealing with actual leather. :)

pchop
06-21-2012, 07:07 PM
Option 1 (expensive but works amazing): http://www.leatherique.com/
Option 2 (less expensive but still works great): http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/mc20306-leather-cleaner-conditioner/

I, too see my blue jean rub off on the red leather's piping, but either one of these cleaners will get the color off.

stevenvillatoro
06-21-2012, 09:10 PM
Option 1 (expensive but works amazing): http://www.leatherique.com/
Not expensive – under $50 for a complete "kit." I keep thinking how odd that people would spend $25K on a new car but then balk at spending $50 to maintain the interior.

Pinecone
06-22-2012, 06:40 AM
I use Spinneybeck on all out leather.

http://leatherz.com/Merchant5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=01&Product_Code=SpinneyKit&Category_Code=CarCareProducts

I think it is Leatherique that some people have ended up with a sticky, gummy residue.

How to care for leather:

http://www.leatherz.com/leathercare2.htm

pchop
06-22-2012, 07:20 PM
I think it is Leatherique that some people have ended up with a sticky, gummy residue.

That will happen if you don't let the re conditioner "bake" enough time and/or you don't use the cleaner to clean up (there are a few people who actually thought the re conditioner is a one step conditioner and cleaner).

pchop
06-22-2012, 07:22 PM
Not expensive – under $50 for a complete "kit." I keep thinking how odd that people would spend $25K on a new car but then balk at spending $50 to maintain the interior.

I'm no "playa supreme"...will try to work harder to be like you. :sorrow:

stevenvillatoro
06-24-2012, 03:10 AM
I'm no "playa supreme"...will try to work harder to be like you. :sorrow:Let me see if I understand... you live in New York, Los Angeles, and Shanghai, AND you own a new $25-30K Abarth. But $50 to maintain your car is a problem for you. Okay.

pchop
06-24-2012, 06:38 PM
Let me see if I understand... you live in New York, Los Angeles, and Shanghai, AND you own a new $25-30K Abarth. But $50 to maintain your car is a problem for you. Okay.

You got me - I'm a cheap poser. I'm definitely not worthy to be in the company of your "greatness", especially with your comments like this: http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?5943-she-s-here-and-she-s-all-mine!!!&p=562704&viewfull=1#post562704

Now if you would excuse me, I'm gonna ponder on my flaws and and cry myself to sleep.

Btw, you know what they say about people that assume things, right?

Vaejovis carolinanus aka lowconabarth
06-24-2012, 08:37 PM
I was just trying to say in my post for Leatherique is that I have used Lexol, and many other name brand leather cleaner and conditioners and can report that the abarth leather is very compatable with the Leatherique leather rejuvenator and pristine clean.

nojeebs
06-24-2012, 09:05 PM
Thanks for all the advice! I'll look into the meg and letherique. Pretty crazy how they color match for you. I'm currently using Lexol to clean my leather products and I'm really happy with it so far. Haven't tried it on the Abarth just yet but I may do that once it cools down outside.

In regards to my dent problem.....it's still there after almost a week, I contacted the shop that caused it and they offered to work something out if it doesn't go back to normal. I'm thinking I just want it to be new....no credit please. >_____<

pchop
06-24-2012, 09:29 PM
I was just trying to say in my post for Leatherique is that I have used Lexol, and many other name brand leather cleaner and conditioners and can report that the abarth leather is very compatable with the Leatherique leather rejuvenator and pristine clean.

+1. I've been using Leatherique for years and they work great. I recently used it on an older car and the leather seats came out pristine after just two applications.