PDA

View Full Version : Rust spots?

zero
06-19-2012, 05:21 PM
I just picked up my Abarth Friday and I drove it to Yuma AZ from El Paso Tx. Then I drove it to Morenci AZ and finally home in Hobbs, NM. After the drive I had about 1400 miles on it and it needed a good cleaning. So yesterday I took it too the car wash and before I started washing I seen a bunch of little orange-ish spots on the hatch and on the drivers side roof.
I talked to my sales guy and he said that he can't do anything about it beause he said it was not there when we got the car even though he has yet to see them. I'm sending him these images I have no idea how these got here and when we got the car it was extreamly windy and raining so we did not have much of a chance to see the outside much. What does everyone these spots?

ScorpionSkins.com
06-19-2012, 05:33 PM
I've read of others reporting such spots from the transport process of the Abarth (having foreign particles cake onto the surface, giving the impression of rust originating from the Abarth).

I don't recall whether it was a member here or on Abarthisti who detailed the removal process he went through to remove these spots from the paint surface, but you may have a similar situation on hand with your vehicle and the photos posted.

Good luck!

zero
06-19-2012, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the info. I was leaning towards that being the most likely cause. Though it ticks me off that my sales guy is being a dick about it. I'll go searching around and see what I come up with.

SeaDawg
06-19-2012, 05:56 PM
I've heard this referred to as 'rail dust'. I believe you may able to remove it by using a clay bar on the surface then a good coat of sealant/polish and/or good wax.

pastor passum
06-19-2012, 06:02 PM
Zero, a few years ago I purchased a Shelby GT. I read several reports on the various Shelby forums about these tiny "rust" spots, especially on the white Shelbys coming from Shelby in Las Vegas by train. The term "rail dust" was later applied and I believe it is something that happens on the train delivery. Anyway, whatever the cause, if I remember correctly, the rail dust or rust was easily removed either by waxing or claying the affected cars. Hopefully that's all it will take to remove it from yours.

Guess I type way slower than Seadawg:chuncky:

Vaejovis carolinanus aka lowconabarth
06-19-2012, 07:06 PM
This is rail dust or iron dust try Iron X or Trix from Carpro , When you apply it turns purple then rinse away.

zero
06-19-2012, 07:35 PM
Thank everyone! I'm thinking of getting some of that Trix, that stuff looks like it will kick that stuff to the curb.

razzletwodazzle
06-19-2012, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the info. I was leaning towards that being the most likely cause. Though it ticks me off that my sales guy is being a dick about it. I'll go searching around and see what I come up with.

Yeah, the sales guy probably doesn't care anyway since he's already got your money.

Wolfie
06-19-2012, 07:43 PM
This is rail dust or iron dust try Iron X or Trix from Carpro , When you apply it turns purple then rinse away.

Something the FIAT studio should have done in the first place - they suppose to remove the rail dust and clean up your car! :concern:

deathshead
06-19-2012, 08:40 PM
Take it back and tell them to prep it correctly.

Giuseppe
06-20-2012, 12:02 AM
The industry term is "Industrial Fallout". This is extremely common near rail and ship yards. Fallout affects white cars more than any other. This is simply due to the contrast between the white and orange. Whereas you will not notice this as quickly on a black color car for example. This doesn't mean its not there. It is.

****DO NOT CLAYBAR YOUR CAR****

All that will do is bust the tops of the metal contaminants off in your paint. The metal particle will still remain embedded in the paint and continue to spread when exposed to moisture. In my opinion you have three options.

A. Have your dealer properly prep your car (too late in my opinion)
B. Have your car professionally acid washed (your best bet)
C. Ask your dealer if it is too late to buy exterior protection for fall out such as Resist-All. (file a claim with Resist-All later, they will fix it)

I opted for C because I knew having a white car and working right next to the Pearl Harbor ship yard in Hawaii would be problems. My 2010 FJ was all white. Within a year I had fallout all in the paint. And for that reason I sold it. I fully intend on filing a fallout claim within the next 24 months. It's inevitable.

Here is a link to support my statement.
http://www.autodetail-school.com/detail-tips/industrial-fallout.php

deathshead
06-20-2012, 09:07 AM
The industry term is "Industrial Fallout". This is extremely common near rail and ship yards. Fallout affects white cars more than any other. This is simply due to the contrast between the white and orange. Whereas you will not notice this as quickly on a black color car for example. This doesn't mean its not there. It is.

****DO NOT CLAYBAR YOUR CAR****

All that will do is bust the tops of the metal contaminants off in your paint. The metal particle will still remain embedded in the paint and continue to spread when exposed to moisture. In my opinion you have three options.

A. Have your dealer properly prep your car (too late in my opinion)
B. Have your car professionally acid washed (your best bet)
C. Ask your dealer if it is too late to buy exterior protection for fall out such as Resist-All. (file a claim with Resist-All later, they will fix it)

I opted for C because I knew having a white car and working right next to the Pearl Harbor ship yard in Hawaii would be problems. My 2010 FJ was all white. Within a year I had fallout all in the paint. And for that reason I sold it. I fully intend on filing a fallout claim within the next 24 months. It's inevitable.

Here is a link to support my statement.
http://www.autodetail-school.com/detail-tips/industrial-fallout.php

Great post. Also These cars have a "corrosion" warranty as well right? perhaps there is some pull in that at well.

Domiken
06-20-2012, 09:29 AM
Try the claybar in a small spot where you see the rust particles, the paint is too new for the corrosion to have set in and damaged it. If it takes the paint off then stop, I have fully detailed many cars in my life in horrible condition, and the claybar has taken off this "rust" without damaging the paint. Just my opinion before you give up.

Mike S
06-20-2012, 11:53 AM
Years ago I owned a detail shop in Chicago (Steve's Detailing a California franchise). The Californians called this problem "rust flakes" or rail car dust. We had cars come in that were parked daily at train stations and the small particles of iron from the train wheels and the tracks would be airborne and land on horizontal surfaces to eventually embed themselves in the paint. Over time (a year or more) they would get down to the metal and bloom under the paint.

The surface of these cars felt like sandpaper. Some shops buffed them and created a smooth surface but they were still there. The solution was to spray a mild solution of oxalic acid on the surfaces and keep it wet for an hour or so. That would release the rust flakes. They came out of the surface and you could see the small holes under magnification. You can also see the iron particles too. A good wash was needed to neutralize the mild acid.

All trim was masked off to make sure the acid did not damage or discolor anything.

Common on cars transported by rail.

Vaejovis carolinanus aka lowconabarth
06-20-2012, 12:19 PM
The Iron-X or Trix should take care of this without damage to paint, just apply let it sit to turn purple, then rinse. No claybar .

Fiat500USA
06-20-2012, 12:48 PM
I just picked up my Abarth Friday and I drove it to Yuma AZ from El Paso Tx. Then I drove it to Morenci AZ and finally home in Hobbs, NM. After the drive I had about 1400 miles on it and it needed a good cleaning. So yesterday I took it too the car wash and before I started washing I seen a bunch of little orange-ish spots on the hatch and on the drivers side roof.
I talked to my sales guy and he said that he can't do anything about it beause he said it was not there when we got the car even though he has yet to see them. I'm sending him these images I have no idea how these got here and when we got the car it was extreamly windy and raining so we did not have much of a chance to see the outside much. What does everyone these spots?

Sorry to hear about the hassle. The car is made from galvanised steel so rust is not likely. Just some 'dirt' in the paint. Of course after 1,400 miles it is possible the car got dirty, however if you are sure it is from delivery, I would call the general manager and tell them you are disappointed with the detailing of your car. At this point, you would probably do a much better job, so you may elect not to have them touch your car, but I would mention the rudeness of the salesman. You can also mention how you'd like to give them good marks on all the surveys you will be receiving from Chrysler/Fiat and maybe they can give you a reason why you should. ;)

satellite
06-20-2012, 02:06 PM
It's rail dust and I can tell you for a FACT it was there on delivery. There is almost no other ways to get metal imbedded in the clear coat like that. I had the same issue on my white Evo 9. I woudn't trust the dealership to resolve it and frankly there isn't a whole lot they can do to prevent it (as they just receive the car). I would take it to a formidable detailer if it really concerns you. I could never get mine fixed, so it just stayed that way until I traded in the car... :-(

You can wash and clay bar that car a MILLION times, but chances are it will come back unless you neutralize and remove the metal flakes.

SeaDawg
06-20-2012, 03:24 PM
The Iron-X or Trix should take care of this without damage to paint, just apply let it sit to turn purple, then rinse. No claybar .

After Googling it, looks like Trix is the better product. Certainly not cheap and, to me, definitely priced for professional detailers. I also got the impression that both Iron X and Trix are made by the same company.

Giuseppe
06-20-2012, 11:53 PM
Great post. Also These cars have a "corrosion" warranty as well right? perhaps there is some pull in that at well.

Thank you.

And no, they have a perforation warranty. This means the panel has to be rusted through in order to be covered.

DCAbarth
06-21-2012, 12:33 AM
I didn't notice any spots on mine, but maybe not as easy to see on a Grigio Abarth? Nonethess, I took mine in for a exterior new car detail this morning and despite looking pretty descent from the studio, it came out stunning! Plus my detailer said there was a lot of the sticky stuff from the plastic used to cover the body in between the seams of the car.

Fiat500USA
06-21-2012, 01:36 AM
I have to say, I've learned a lot from this thread. I had a white Audi that had something like this in a certain spot. Didn't really know what it was because it came back every so often.

deathshead
06-21-2012, 08:40 AM
I also find this another great reason to go with White as my color choice.

By the time you noticed this sort of thing on a black or darker colored vehicle, (unless your SUPER anal about your paint.) The paint has gotten to a point where the damage is much more severe.

Mike S
06-21-2012, 09:39 AM
You can feel it. It almost always happens on horizontal surfaces.

zero
06-21-2012, 08:00 PM
Wow! So much advice! The guy from the dealership finally sent me a email back and said he was going to talk to the service department about the spots. So now I just wait.

Pronto
06-21-2012, 11:29 PM
Wait a minute, aren't new cars put on the rail with all the horizontal surfaces covered with sticky plastic sheets???? I thought rail dust was from earlier times when manufacturers didn't use this technique. Does the rail dust actually penetrate the plastic? Does Fiat use plastic protection sheets? Just wonderin.....

Giuseppe
06-21-2012, 11:51 PM
Yes, they use plastic. But if it will penetrate the paint, I have no doubt it will penetrate the plastic. But i cannot be certain.