PDA

View Full Version : Extended Service Contract

cpcottrell
06-18-2012, 03:15 PM
Has anyone been offered a extended service contract for their Fiat 500. I local dealer is offering a 9 year / 75,000 mile extended warrany for $2,570. Is thie a good or bad price and deal.

Pinecone
06-21-2012, 05:17 PM
Extended Warranty and Extended Service Contract are two different things.

Warranty covers the failure of parts from manufacturing defects. But not normal wear and tear.

Service Contract covers normal service, oil changes, wiper blades, lights, tire rotation, inspections.

I have never heard of an Extended Service Contract on these cars. But the dealer may be offering a third party version/

Chrysler/Fiat offers various extended warranties for the car. The prices are NEGOTIABLE. The top line lifetime warranty has been purchased for $2300. Use that as a guide.

Giuseppe
06-21-2012, 11:56 PM
The top line lifetime warranty has been purchased for $2300. Use that as a guide.

And that right there is a damn good memory.

Robert Nixon
09-25-2012, 01:25 PM
I bought a new Abarth last week, and there were lots of warranties offered, several maintenance plans as well. Most of them were only available at purchase, but some you can buy later.
I'm not an extended warranty guy for the most part, so didn't see the need to spend more money and declined them all. Some folks like the extra security or comfort in knowing any potential repairs or service are paid for, but I think the best advice is to do the math and figure if the maintenance plans add up.

Pinecone
09-26-2012, 11:58 AM
We bought the lifetime warranty coverage. We keep cars a LONG time. Our next newest car behind the Abarth is a 2002 model. :)

johniew398
09-26-2012, 12:09 PM
I was offered a lifetime warranty for about $3,000. I passed on it.

I am not against extended warranties as I just purchased one for my wife's 2013 Mercedes SL550; but, $3k warranty on a car that cost $26.5 wasn't practical.

Pinecone
09-27-2012, 06:15 AM
Extended warranties and service contracts are NEGOTIABLE.

We paid $2475 for Lifetime.

AbarthUSA
09-27-2012, 09:12 AM
In Florida, as an example,extended warranties and service contracts are regulated by the insurance department, and once pricing has been filed with the state it is not negotiable. Extended warranties are typically products sold by the manufacturer. Service contracts, are third party products, this does not necessarily make them inferior, coverage can vary greatly from different providers. Maintenace contracts cover "scheduled maintenance" and are not a regulated product. There is also another category known as the non factory extended warranty, such as the lifetime warranties, these are basically self insured by the dealer group that offers them, and backed by an insurance company.

timber6860
09-29-2012, 04:23 PM
I went with the extended warranty because of two factors, one being the 0% financing, and I keep my vehicles for a long time, and they have always been worth it. I had an engine re-build on my 96 Caddy that would have cost around $6k. My deductable was $50.00. You do have to remember to keep all of your records for repairs and scheduled maintenance, or they can blame some engine failures on lack of maintenance and refuse to pay. So, if you change your own oil, keep your reciept and a record of the mileage in a folder. If you can't prove one oil change as scheduled, they will not cover engine failure.