PDA

View Full Version : other seat options

peterh
06-17-2012, 09:52 PM
Hello Abarth fans.

I've had mine for a week now, only one complaint. The seat doesn't really provide that much lateral support for a sports car. In fact my wife's CRV has better lateral support! I think the assumptions about the physic of the american market got the best of them. So I don't necessarily want to through-in with the "I want a Sabelt seat" crowd. I'm just thinking about options that could be temporarily installed for a track day or a planned spirited romp. Any thoughts? is it just me about the lack of support?
I'm pretty much a 50 percentile guy (5'11" and 165 lb).

-Peter-

SLOABARTH
06-18-2012, 01:28 AM
Sorry, there is nothing available right now. I have been searching for a while now. I know the lateral support is almost equal to none, but due to the airbag and weight sensor in the US Abarth's seats we can not replace them unless we find a way to disengage or neutralize the signal (so that the warning light does not come on). The Sabelt seat (or for that matter any other seats) from Europe will not work on our Abarth because of this.
I am hoping that the Mopar performance parts (or someone) eventually would offer at least one racing seat.

Maybe someone on this forum can come up with a solution to disengage or eliminate the signal coming from the airbag sensor or reroute the signal somehow.....

FiaTED
06-18-2012, 12:31 PM
It's NOT a sports car, it's a sporty car.

IMHO a sports car must be rear wheel or AWD, preferable with just 2 seats

hail2thetheif
06-18-2012, 12:38 PM
It's NOT a sports car, it's a sporty car.

IMHO a sports car must be rear wheel or AWD, preferable with just 2 seats

You know what makes a "sporty" car more sporty........NICE SEATS. But of course thats just my opinion ;)

Personally for me, nicer seats are a must in any car that is "sporty" or a "sports car". I've built and owned 3 and after using 2 of them as daily drivers, you get used to having a seat with tons of support. Why wouldn't you want that in any car you drive?

But once again that's just my opinion.....which is obviously slightly different than yours.

peterh
06-18-2012, 10:08 PM
Sorry, there is nothing available right now. [snip] Maybe someone on this forum can come up with a solution to disengage or eliminate the signal coming from the airbag sensor or reroute the signal somehow.....
I was afraid of that. The tricky bit is finding out what signals are going in and out of the seat. After that I think the talent to resolve it is easier to find. Who wants to share that? (or learn it, and be the first to sell the plug!)

As Far as FiaTED's thoughts...it really is a matter of opinion but there are plenty of awesome front wheel drive cars... the trick is being a versatile driver. The British Touring Car Championship is a great place to see what's currently possible with front wheel drive. A little slower of the line then it's all up to driver skill. The Abarth is a little tall for the sake of being good as a daily driver with groceries but you could feel your way through that with good seats!

Meanwhile maybe some pillows...