PDA

View Full Version : Got Check Engine light at first 50 miles

Thomas
06-13-2012, 12:30 PM
Fantastic car, thus far...but I received a yellow check engine light at the first 50 miles. I was accelerating slowly, and it came on. I called the dealer, and they asked if the car was driving funny or making unusual sounds, nope. Anyway, I try and head over to the dealer later to today and see what's up.

06-13-2012, 02:42 PM
Fantastic car, thus far...but I received a yellow check engine light at the first 50 miles. I was accelerating slowly, and it came on. I called the dealer, and they asked if the car was driving funny or making unusual sounds, nope. Anyway, I try and head over to the dealer later to today and see what's up.

I know the problem.....as you say, you were accelerating SLOWLY. Speed up, lights will go out, problem solved. ;-)

Vaejovis carolinanus aka lowconabarth
06-13-2012, 04:27 PM
Check the gas cap. Make sure it clicks. Not related but check air pressure in tires mine had almost 50lbs.

Thomas
06-13-2012, 05:45 PM
Fidgell, I hope you don't believe the slow part. I was pushing 18 lbs of boost at the time.

I know the problem.....as you say, you were accelerating SLOWLY. Speed up, lights will go out, problem solved. ;-)

Thomas
06-13-2012, 05:49 PM
Thanks. The gas cap is the first thing I checked. Vital signs were fine, and the car was running well, so I drove to the dealer. They spent some time diagnosing the issue, and took quite some time driving the car. They are not 100% sure at this point, everything checked out fine & they could not replicate the 'issue'. It might be the evaporator sensor, but I'll wait and see if it trips again. Not a biggie at this point.

Check the gas cap. Make sure it clicks. Not related but check air pressure in tires mine had almost 50lbs.

06-13-2012, 06:53 PM
You said you were accelerating slowly.... at 18PSI???? MM Box??? ;-)

06-16-2012, 08:55 AM
All good now Tom?

Thomas
06-17-2012, 10:31 PM
Yes, all good now Fidgell. In fact, all great. Seat time is great in this thing. The sound is great. When I fire it up in my underground car park, it sounds insane. A nit picking wish list from me would include the ability to run in stealth mode, like next to a police cruiser at night etc....I have a buddy with a Civic that has a button on the dash that controls a wide open dump in front of the cat or closed mode.

All good now Tom?

SLOABARTH
06-18-2012, 03:03 AM
A nit picking wish list from me would include the ability to run in stealth mode, like next to a police cruiser at night etc....I have a buddy with a Civic that has a button on the dash that controls a wide open dump in front of the cat or closed mode.

The similar type (Race or street in this case) of exhaust will be available from 500 Madness soon. The manual mode one is available now from Magneti Marelli and I believe the Monza Exhaust from Abarth does come with a butterfly valve switch that can be installed in the car. However, Monza is not stainless and therefore, can not recommend it to people who lives in the snow country. The 500 Madness exhaust will be made with Stainless. You may want to give them a ring??

06-18-2012, 08:12 AM
Yes, all good now Fidgell. In fact, all great. Seat time is great in this thing. The sound is great. When I fire it up in my underground car park, it sounds insane. A nit picking wish list from me would include the ability to run in stealth mode, like next to a police cruiser at night etc....I have a buddy with a Civic that has a button on the dash that controls a wide open dump in front of the cat or closed mode.

Excellent stuff. I hit 1000km yesterday and its all doing what it should...the one big thing for me is why does something so small have such a HUGE turning radius!!! I can park our minivan in tighter spots!

luckymoi
06-18-2012, 12:22 PM
Its all that extra plumbing behind the extended front facial... saw a recent photo in one of the Abarth posts which hints at it. One Abarth review in the press also mentioned it.
Forza Fiat!

SeaDawg
06-18-2012, 12:56 PM
Excellent stuff. I hit 1000km yesterday and its all doing what it should...the one big thing for me is why does something so small have such a HUGE turning radius!!! I can park our minivan in tighter spots!

And yet people in North America want the 6 speed manual transmission, which people in Europe say has the turning radius of the Titanic, lol.:friendly_wink:

pchop
06-20-2012, 12:28 PM
Back to OP's subject, mine too threw a check engine light after 300 miles or so, my OBDII scanner code generated was related to the electrical system. One member told me to check the batter leads and while mine wasn't loose, I did wiggle them around. The check engine light has since disappeared. Apparently according to the recent Wall Street Journal article, the turbo generates so much temperature that causes the batter leads to become loose.

Here's a link to the article:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303901504577462933115342446.html

VTEC Mini
06-20-2012, 10:37 PM
Back to OP's subject, mine too threw a check engine light after 300 miles or so, my OBDII scanner code generated was related to the electrical system. One member told me to check the batter leads and while mine wasn't loose, I did wiggle them around. The check engine light has since disappeared. Apparently according to the recent Wall Street Journal article, the turbo generates so much temperature that causes the batter leads to become loose.

Here's a link to the article:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303901504577462933115342446.html

Great article, thanks!