PDA

View Full Version : Paint failure/flaw

jkielfoto
06-11-2012, 06:01 PM
We noticed over the weekend a bit of paint "anomaly" on the front, right below the hood line. Anyone else have this problem? Going to show the dealer...

ewflyer
06-11-2012, 08:40 PM
I don't know if your problem is related but the 500 guys were talking about problems caused by dropping the hood closed from too great a height. The hood is pretty flexible and when it gets slammed really hard it flexes at impact and bites into the paint on the car's fenders and nose at a couple of points. Apparently the owner's manual has a description of closing the hood that specifies a drop distance of 8 inches or less.

Just a thought.

deathshead
06-11-2012, 10:00 PM
That looks like bad paint prep to me, take it back ASAP! Dropping that tiny hood from too high? That sounds like a typical dealer response to me, lol.

That paint should hang on and growl, the bumper should be prepped correctly along with a flex agent in the paint itself. The big problem I see is getting that metallic black to match up perfectly. That's an art.

I hope you get taken care of, I would be demanding a new bumper as appears to be bad paint.

Prima 109
06-11-2012, 11:53 PM
I don't know if your problem is related but the 500 guys were talking about problems caused by dropping the hood closed from too great a height. The hood is pretty flexible and when it gets slammed really hard it flexes at impact and bites into the paint on the car's fenders and nose at a couple of points. Apparently the owner's manual has a description of closing the hood that specifies a drop distance of 8 inches or less.

Just a thought.

That happened on the PE's and the early builds where the hood was rubbing up against the inside of the fenders and front fascia, not noticeable on the outside.

pxpaulx
06-12-2012, 07:47 AM
1st and 2nd photo could be chips from rocks, however that 3rd photo definitely looks like bad factory work.

VTEC Mini
06-12-2012, 09:13 AM
That looks like bad paint prep to me, take it back ASAP! Dropping that tiny hood from too high? That sounds like a typical dealer response to me, lol.

That paint should hang on and growl, the bumper should be prepped correctly along with a flex agent in the paint itself. The big problem I see is getting that metallic black to match up perfectly. That's an art.

I hope you get taken care of, I would be demanding a new bumper as appears to be bad paint.

I agree.

SLOABARTH
06-18-2012, 01:43 AM
Found some similar spots at the inside of hatch (in between the hinges). I will show them to my dealer next week.

trevc
06-18-2012, 08:54 AM
MAybe that happened when you cut the stock spoiler off?

deathshead
06-19-2012, 08:52 PM
Any update on this?

jkielfoto
06-21-2012, 09:41 PM
Hi - yes, showed the service guy and he agreed it's paint failure. He took pics to send to Fiat, now I have to get estimates (really? REALLY?) and it will get fixed. I'll post "after" pics.

nojeebs
06-24-2012, 09:15 PM
I just noticed some small bubbling between the groove of the front emblem and bumper. I'm pretty concerned as I will now have to go through the same process just because it was not prepped properly. Looks like whoever is overseeing the paint department needs a bump on the head to wake them up.

jkielfoto
07-10-2012, 05:43 PM
Dropped the Nero off this AM for bumper paint, should get it back late tomorrow or Thurs. I'll post 'after' pics...

jkielfoto
07-15-2012, 07:11 PM
Here is the bumper, post-painting...

theCOOP
07-21-2012, 06:04 PM
My front bumper paint is now failing on either side of the grill slit.

:(

lc3necro
07-21-2012, 11:24 PM
Dropped the car off Friday for tint / clear 3M protective installation...they guy called me about 2 hours after drop off and asked if I had noticed the paint issues...when I picked the car up on Saturday he showed me the areas of interest...going to stop into my dealer on Monday :( 30253026

bryanintowson
07-22-2012, 09:07 AM
Yikes!

ftower
07-22-2012, 03:20 PM
Looks like I'll be headed back to my studio as well. Paint is flaking away just above the front ABARTH badge. Drat! 3035

ftower
09-14-2012, 07:17 PM
It took some time, but all is well again with my paint. Fiat agreed to pay for the repair a few weeks ago and into the body shop she went. Back now and looking good!

We found additional paint failures on the tops of the side skirts that were fixed as well. The body shop's thought is the release agent to get the plastic parts out of the mold wasn't removed completely leading to poor paint adhesion in a few spots. All I know is I'm glad to have my Abarth back.

Keep an eye on your paint and know that Fiat and studio will take care of you - just keep on them!

Buddy Dave
10-01-2012, 12:16 AM
2012 500 POP. 1,800 suburban miles (max. 50 MPH), garage-kept. Rosso. Hand-washed maybe 3 times. The paint on this car is crap. Seemingly minor impacts at under 50 MPH with tiny rocks or similar will go through the clear coat, the paint, and well into or past the primer. Somebody cut a corner somewhere. Just found a series of tiny chips on the center of the driver door. No indication of how they could have happened--in that I cannot figure out what would have made these marks, as there is no indication of direction, impact, etc. Just no clear coat or paint with no scuffs or dents. Any likely event there should not have gone through the paint and primer. And on the center of the driver door? I have never had a car with such apparently weak paint.

Open your hood and check out the edge nearest the windshield and other areas around the entire edge. What I have found are what appear to be a few pronounced chips or voids on the back edge. In some areas on the front edge where there should be brilliant paint and clear coat, there is weak color and no clear coat. Jesus H. Look at your hood latch. If it is like mine, the locking barrel--what the latch clamps to--80% of the paint is chipped down to bare metal. After opening and closing the hood maybe 3 times by me and maybe another 3 at the factory or during dealer prep?

Going to the dealer this week. Don't expect much. We have had the car for only two months and pampered the hell out it. I've had run-of-the-mill Chevy Malibus and a Dodge Stratus with far better paint.

deathshead
10-01-2012, 06:31 PM
Mine only has 300 miles on it, and somehow I have a tiny chip in the hood already. :(

I thought it was a piece of dirt on the white paint.. its right down to the primer too. SOB!

Im going to check out my front bumper and under the hood now. I already have my right sideskirt corner popping up.

satellite
10-03-2012, 04:27 PM
Can you guys who have specific issues describe the exact positions of the paint coming off?

I know the front emblem one seems to be almost universal, but I need to check the other spots as well so we can let Fiat know. Someone mentioned next to the grill and above the side skirts?

Haring
10-03-2012, 04:53 PM
Mine are on the edges of the bumper by the wheels (both sides). Dealer is going to touch up paint but if it happens again i'm going to push for them to fix the right way.

ftower
10-05-2012, 02:52 PM
Can you guys who have specific issues describe the exact positions of the paint coming off?

I know the front emblem one seems to be almost universal, but I need to check the other spots as well so we can let Fiat know. Someone mentioned next to the grill and above the side skirts?

Mine was above the front emblem and the tops of the side skirts, both in front of and behind the doors. I didn't notice the side skirts at first as it 'blended' into the tape used to attach the skirts to the body. Thankfully my studio found it so that the body shop could repair all the issues at once.