PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Mod

nsorens
06-11-2012, 08:30 AM
Flux capacitor
Actually, heading to the local garage to install super light 16" OZ ALLEGGERITA HLT's. Reducing the rotating, unsprung weight is the ultimate mod for handling, acceleration and braking!
I'm shaving off 20 lbs. where it matters the most...

Dwaynek
06-11-2012, 09:23 AM
Photos with the new wheels please.

PapaSandro
06-11-2012, 07:26 PM
Photos with the new wheels please.

yeah i cant wait to see the pics...

razzletwodazzle
06-11-2012, 08:04 PM
Flux capacitor
Actually, heading to the local garage to install super light 16" OZ ALLEGGERITA HLT's. Reducing the rotating, unsprung weight is the ultimate mod for handling, acceleration and braking!

What kind of tires are you gonna put on these?

SLOABARTH
06-11-2012, 08:42 PM
Flux capacitor

I agree, best and quick performance gain is by reducing the unsprung mass/weight. Also 16" will give you more side wall space and that will smooth out the ride a bit. I like this set up for the track use. Nice to put on some Yoko Advan 048s?
That is a great set of wheels and I was thinking about doing the same, but I have decided not to since they are low pressure cast wheels, not forged. The low pressure casting is better/more durable than the gravity cast wheels, but they are still weak compared to the forged wheels. I bent too many low pressure cast lightweight wheels in the past that I am going to stick with the factory option forged wheels for now.
I am wondering the weight of these factory forged wheels. Can't find any info on the website. So far they are taking the beating very well.

Giuseppe
06-11-2012, 08:52 PM
If you are shaving 20lbs, this implies that you know the stock wheel weight. Care to share? I have been wondering how much the stock wheels weigh.

SLOABARTH
06-11-2012, 09:09 PM
If you are shaving 20lbs, this implies that you know the stock wheel weight. Care to share? I have been wondering how much the stock wheels weigh.

I am also wondering about the weight of optional forged wheels. I am too lazy to remove the tire and weigh it myself....

nsorens
06-11-2012, 10:09 PM
But is not about looks, the real advantage is light weight... Stock 17" weigh 18.9#, Stock 16" weigh 18.3# according to Fiat.
I have put a few miles on since this morning, (I just got the car yesterday so I am just now at 300+ miles). The best thing I can say about the new wheels is, merging on the freeway I was very pleased with the acceleration and then I looked down and saw that I forgot to push sport mode! Really nice gains in all aspects of handling, feels more composed and lithe (yeah lithe, that's the word I would use). Everything feels "lighter" and it handles bumps and rough pavement much better. I live in a rural area with lots of rough two lane so I am sticking with the 16". I don't plan on racing so I think these wheels will be strong enough (I AM looking forward to our "free track day" though).

nsorens
06-11-2012, 10:17 PM
Oh yeah, those are the stock 16" all season tires. I had the tire place switch out tires and pressure sensors to the new wheels. The OZ's are 7" wide, a half inch wider than stock, so I'll probably do some summer 205 width tires when I wear these out...

Oh, and I'm not quite saving 20lbs, the ALLEGGERITA HLT's weigh 13.8# so more like 18# but the weight difference was VERY noticable, the tire guys even noticed it and they are working on big 4x4's all day...

Abarth Five O
06-11-2012, 10:58 PM
Thanks for sharing your thread and nice pics. It's nice to see other ways of improving the performance of the Abarth.

Abarth500
06-11-2012, 11:06 PM
Absolutely beautiful on that red car!

pastor passum
06-12-2012, 12:24 AM
Sure are. I'm afraid you just cost me some money:friendly_wink:

Ferrero1911
06-12-2012, 02:32 AM
Looking sharp!