PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Gear Synchro

Giuseppe
06-03-2012, 06:07 PM
Is anyone else have an issue when shifting from the top of first (near or at redline) into second? My second gear synchro will not match speed and I end up with what sounds like a straight cut gear shift sound. This only occurs when driving "spiritedly" with these guys....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/dvmotorsports/25bccbb1.jpg

Despite the second gear concern, the destination was nice...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/dvmotorsports/42aa73ee.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/dvmotorsports/59b7a975.jpg

Mike S
06-03-2012, 06:13 PM
I don't know what gear oil is used but maybe a lower weight or synthetic gear oil would help.

fredfrey
06-03-2012, 06:16 PM
2nd gear issue?! Sounds like a vintage Alfa! Nice :devilish:

sportbiker
06-04-2012, 12:00 AM
2nd gear issue?! Sounds like a vintage Alfa! Nice :devilish:

I was thinking the same thing! My Milano has a weak second-gear synchro. Plus ša change.

Fiat49
06-04-2012, 12:19 AM
I have the same problem.

SeaDawg
06-04-2012, 01:42 AM
Despite the second gear concern, the destination was nice...

It's been over 35 years since I was stationed there. Are those pictures taken from the top of what I think was called Tantalus? Does a road/street by that name even still exist on Oahu? I remember trying it one night in a 1964 Triumph Spitfire....ah, those were the days.

It would be a lot of fun in ANY 500, Abarth or otherwise.

EliRider
06-04-2012, 06:34 AM
Might want to consider the Craven Short Shifter. It is available from 500 Madness or direct from Craven. I also have the weighted shifting knob from Craven. This helps tighten the shift pattern with an adjusted short throw and pivot point.

Craven Short Shifter installed with Craven Knob. Took about 1 hour to install.
Highly precision made with no plastic parts.

I can not say enough about the (optional) Craven weighted knob... it really adds to the shifting experience. Although I debated using the stock lighter weight knob which would have worked just as well. The Craven knob is extremely solid. Think of it as throwing a plastic baseball vs a solid metal baseball into gear. It provides amazing balance and feel.

This is the same short shifter that fits the standard Fiat 500. Did not install the reverse locking mechanism since the 5th gear to reverse shift pattern of the Abarth is slightly different.

List Price will be ~$20 less for the Abarth since the reverse mechanism is not required ($279 vs $299). Available now by calling Craven (or dealer network) direct. The optional knob is $99 (the stock leather covered knob which is slightly taller/lighter will fit this shifter).

http://www.cravenspeed.com/fiat-short-shifter/
http://www.cravenspeed.com/products/FIAT-Shift-Knobs.html

The top cap is metal as well and comes in red or black with or without the shifting pattern. I picked the plain black which looks really clean. Craven is considering adding a Scorpion etching for Abarth owners.

Here is a short video on the throw...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taCiiK0sQuY

Added response from Craven on design:

The pivots have been moved away from the center pivots to decrease throw about 9%. The real difference comes from shortened shaft and the weight of the knob. The shaft is about 1 inch lower and the knob lowers it another .25 on the prima and what looks like about .75 on the Abarth. Any shorter on the shaft and the shifts get too close together, so this is the optimal throw reduction for the Fiat 500 in my (Craven) opinion.

Installation instructions for Fiat 500 (disregard the reverse mechanisim installation for Abarth):

http://www.cravenspeed.com/product_i...hort-shift.pdf

2062 2063
2064 2065

Hope this helps.

Is anyone else have an issue when shifting from the top of first (near or at redline) into second? My second gear synchro will not match speed and I end up with what sounds like a straight cut gear shift sound. This only occurs when driving "spiritedly" with these guys....

JAFA500
06-04-2012, 07:00 AM
Bring it in. I redline my car on almost every shift...perfect

Giuseppe
06-07-2012, 12:10 AM
It's been over 35 years since I was stationed there. Are those pictures taken from the top of what I think was called Tantalus? Does a road/street by that name even still exist on Oahu? I remember trying it one night in a 1964 Triumph Spitfire....ah, those were the days.

It would be a lot of fun in ANY 500, Abarth or otherwise.

That's exactly where these pictures were taken. Good memory.

Pinecone
06-11-2012, 01:37 PM
A short shifter and weighted knob will make this issue worse, as the shift will be even faster.

I am not a fan of wieghted knobs, as the weight of the knob and put pressure on the tranny and cause issues with synchro wear. Just like driving around with your hand on the knob.

Mike S
06-11-2012, 04:34 PM
A short shifter and weighted knob will make this issue worse, as the shift will be even faster.

I am not a fan of wieghted knobs, as the weight of the knob and put pressure on the tranny and cause issues with synchro wear. Just like driving around with your hand on the knob.

Did you mean to say wear on the shift fork?

Pinecone
06-12-2012, 10:30 AM
Yeah, that too. :)

Shift fork with low pressure, synchos possible with higher force.

But overall, not a good thing.

EliRider
06-12-2012, 11:59 AM
As for the short shifter, I used them for years without incident on various cars.

As for the weighted knob, this is my first time I have gone this route. So far I really enjoy shifting with it. But I will keep this in mind regarding the potential wear issue - personally I'm not as concerned but recognize the personal choice/concerns of others. The only issue I had with the Craven weighted knob is sometime the temperature can get hot in a sitting car. Now that I have my windows tinted, it is no longer an issue.

I have noticed on colder mornings, with either shifter setup, on rare occaisions the clutch acted like it was not fully enaged in placing the car in reverse. I suspect this is a syncro design with the clutch mechanism more so than the shifter. Although a bad shifter design could amplify the issue which I do not think is the case with the Craven product. Next time I chat with Craven, I'll get thier position/experience on the weighted knob.

deathshead
06-12-2012, 01:35 PM
As for the short shifter, I used them for years without incident on various cars.

As for the weighted knob, this is my first time I have gone this route. So far I really enjoy shifting with it. But I will keep this in mind regarding the potential wear issue - personally I'm not as concerned but recognize the personal choice/concerns of others. The only issue I had with the Craven weighted knob is sometime the temperature can get hot in a sitting car. Now that I have my windows tinted, it is no longer an issue.

I have noticed on colder mornings, with either shifter setup, on rare occaisions the clutch acted like it was not fully enaged in placing the car in reverse. I suspect this is a syncro design with the clutch mechanism more so than the shifter. Although a bad shifter design could amplify the issue which I do not think is the case with the Craven product. Next time I chat with Craven, I'll get thier position/experience on the weighted knob.

Always go from 1st to Reverse. :friendly_wink:

Pinecone
06-12-2012, 02:11 PM
Of course the makers of the weighted knobs will tell you there is absolutely no problem. :)

Not sure how much of a problem it really is, but there is the possibility of issues.

Giuseppe
06-13-2012, 12:37 AM
I still have nothing further to report at this point. I have yet to beat on the car again.

Fiat500USA
06-13-2012, 01:25 AM
This is the same transmission used in Italy for many years, if you have an issue like that, I suggest documenting it at the service department. I've noticed the Abarth clutch releases lower than my Audi A4. I would just make sure you are depressing the clutch pedal all the way. I've caught myself out by not depressing the pedal as much as I should have.

Giuseppe
06-13-2012, 02:21 AM
Actually I was concerned that I may have not been depressing the clutch entirely. But I did eliminate that thought during a few straight line pulls where I did not have to devote so much focus as opposed to driving in the twisties....if that makes sense.