PDA

View Full Version : Check engine light at 300km

Mortgageman
05-23-2012, 09:39 PM
I picked up my Abarth on may 20 and drove it from edmonton to calagry on may 21.
In the city the car would not get past a psi of 12 in either sport mode or non sport mode. On the highway the psi never exceeded 7

On the drive I got a check engine light and thus left the car at a local fiat dealership for servicing.

The dealership confirmed the turbo clamps are in place and tight. The computer generated some sort of "turbo error" message, which went away but reoccurred once the dealership test drove the car.

Thoughts?

noopd
05-23-2012, 09:48 PM
aww. that sucks. hope they can find out what happened and fix it soon.

FiatCares
05-24-2012, 02:27 PM
I picked up my Abarth on may 20 and drove it from edmonton to calagry on may 21.
In the city the car would not get past a psi of 12 in either sport mode or non sport mode. On the highway the psi never exceeded 7

On the drive I got a check engine light and thus left the car at a local fiat dealership for servicing.

The dealership confirmed the turbo clamps are in place and tight. The computer generated some sort of "turbo error" message, which went away but reoccurred once the dealership test drove the car.

Thoughts?

Was the studio able to duplicate the concerns or offer a repair? Let me know how it turns out.

Mortgageman
05-24-2012, 02:51 PM
Jonathan,

The dealership saw the check engine light and proceeded to check the clamps and varoius other items. They didn't notice any problems that needed correcting. they test drove the car and reported to me the car was performing well and the check engine light was off. I asked them to double check that the PSI would go above 12 in sport mode. After doing this second check they called me and reported that the check engine light went on again during the test. I don't know if the car achieved a higher than 12 psi during the second test but i imagine it didn't.

Currently, they are mulling over what to do next.
When next I speak with them i am going to offer 3 suggestions.
1. the orginal dealership may have filled the car with low octane gas. (unlikely but possible)
2. Confirm the #3 purge hose was not installed backwards (that seem like a long shot)
3. Double check the clamps (the symptons seem to match so closley to this issue)

The dealership, or should I say the studio, has been responsive so far.

wachuko
05-24-2012, 04:21 PM
1. the orginal dealership may have filled the car with low octane gas. (unlikely but possible)

This point should not be an issue... car is able to use 87 gas... In the gas door you have a label with 91 recommended, 87 minimum octane.

Mortgageman
05-24-2012, 04:59 PM
I recieved an update from the studio.

After conferring with Fiat engineers it appears there is some sort of undefined leak in the turbo charger air flow. they are going to take the turbo charger et al apart in an attempt to find the issue.

Lets hope they find a clear culprit.

Mortgageman
05-24-2012, 05:03 PM
True, but it is the higher octane that allows for the higher compression in the engine that the turbo charger supports. As it turns out the engine isn't getting the air from the turbo charger in the first place as there appears to be a leak and thus compression specifically is not the issue. At least according to the studio.

wachuko
05-24-2012, 08:04 PM
True, but it is the higher octane that allows for the higher compression in the engine that the turbo charger supports. As it turns out the engine is getting the air from the turbo charger in the first place as there appears to be a leak and thus compression specifically is not the issue. At least according to the studio.

Yeah, even if it will run with 87, nothing but the best for our cars. Just wanted to highlight that the car can use lower octane gas and it should not give error codes because of it....

Cracked intercooler then?

FiatCares
05-25-2012, 10:48 AM
I recieved an update from the studio.

After conferring with Fiat engineers it appears there is some sort of undefined leak in the turbo charger air flow. they are going to take the turbo charger et al apart in an attempt to find the issue.

Lets hope they find a clear culprit.

Please let me know if I can help in any way..

Mortgageman
05-29-2012, 06:06 PM
The Studio called to let me know they and the Fiat engineers are at loss to explain the cause of the problem. According to the studio something was put together wrong at the factory. They have been instructed by the Fiat engineers to take things apart until they uncover the problem. That is all I know. the symptoms mimic those described by others with missing air flow clamps. however, that is not the problem.
Luckily, I didn't trade in my old car and still have usage of it.

Abarth Five O
05-29-2012, 07:52 PM
Sorry to hear of your troubles. Not a good way to start off ownership of your new Abarth. Please keep us Abarth forum members posted as I'm sure many of us (including myself) are very concerned. Does Calgary have a lemon law similar to what we have in some states i.e. 3 strikes and you're out: the manufacturer must provide a full refund or a new car?

TimAllen
05-29-2012, 10:05 PM
So far i have 400km and no check engine lights, its running perfect and hopefully it stays like that... is your car a demo? It seems the demo cars are having no problems, they must have taken extra care with them and then tried to rush out all the orders and they missed clamps and so on.

FiatCares
05-30-2012, 11:33 AM
The Studio called to let me know they and the Fiat engineers are at loss to explain the cause of the problem. According to the studio something was put together wrong at the factory. They have been instructed by the Fiat engineers to take things apart until they uncover the problem. That is all I know. the symptoms mimic those described by others with missing air flow clamps. however, that is not the problem.

Mortgageman: Have you contacted Canadian Customer Assistance? If this were an US vehicle I would take your VIN, create a corporate file, reassign it to the studio and get the District Manager and/or Engineering involved.

Canada Customer Care - Contact Info
Answer ID 17766 | Published 09/24/2010 08:27 PM | Updated 09/26/2011 02:22 PM | Access Level Tier2
What is the contact information for Chrysler Canada Customer Care?Canadian Customers calling from Canada:

Phone (English): (800) 465-2001

Phone (French): (800) 387-9983

Hours of operation: 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM (EST), Monday - Friday; 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM (EST) Saturday

Mailing Address:

Chrysler Canada, Inc.
Customer Assistance Centre
P.O. Box 1621
Windsor ON N9A 4H6

Fax: (519) 973-2318

Ferrero1911
05-31-2012, 02:41 AM

Taking things apart doesn't seem like it will uncover the problem. Have they pressure tested the intake system? It seems like your turbo system has a leak and the best way to find it would be with everything put back together. In aftermarket turbo applications if someone were having this problem this would be the first test they would perform. It's a simple test, you're just using a air compressor and a regulator to pressurize the intake system while the car is not running. You can then listen for leaks or use soapy water to look for leaks. Sorry it wasn't as simple as the missing clamps. I hope you get your car back soon!

Abarth Five O
06-02-2012, 04:34 PM
What's the latest, Mortgageman?

Mortgageman
06-03-2012, 08:37 AM
Sorry for the lack of a response. I was out of town for a conference. (a mortgage conference)
I have not heard from the studio since last Tuesday (May 29th). I will call them tomorrow to get an update. depending on the result I may call Canada Customer Care.

Thanks,

BlackHeart
06-03-2012, 09:54 AM
Hope all goes well with your Scorpion and you're back on the road soon.

Abarth Five O
06-03-2012, 02:49 PM
Sorry for the lack of a response. I was out of town for a conference. (a mortgage conference)
I have not heard from the studio since last Tuesday (May 29th). I will call them tomorrow to get an update. depending on the result I may call Canada Customer Care.

Thanks,

Thanks for the update. Hope they find a solution and fix it for you this week. Please keep us posted.

Mortgageman
06-04-2012, 01:27 PM
I spoke to the studio this morning. Unfortunately, I was not able to speak directly with the mechanic working on my vehicle. However, according to the notes on file the Studio ordered a left intake intercooler hose seal on Friday.
I assume it was broken or damaged. They had to order the part from the United States so imagine it will take until late next week at the earliest to show up.
I did not contact Canada Customer Care as Jonathan suggested as the studio claims they are already working with Fiat engineers. I don’t see how calling Canada Customer Care would add any value. Perhaps I am wrong.

Abarth Five O
06-04-2012, 01:54 PM
They should overnight the part for faster service so you don't have to wait that long. Hope they fix it soon so you can enjoy your Abarth.

FiatCares
06-04-2012, 02:08 PM
I spoke to the studio this morning. Unfortunately, I was not able to speak directly with the mechanic working on my vehicle. However, according to the notes on file the Studio ordered a left intake intercooler hose seal on Friday.
I assume it was broken or damaged. They had to order the part from the United States so imagine it will take until late next week at the earliest to show up.
I did not contact Canada Customer Care as Jonathan suggested as the studio claims they are already working with Fiat engineers. I don’t see how calling Canada Customer Care would add any value. Perhaps I am wrong.

Chrysler Canada may not have been able to diagnose the problem over the phone, but now that the studio knows what to order and have done so, Chrysler Canada can at least help expedite the part for you.. I would do the same for you if it was an US vehicle...

SeaDawg
06-04-2012, 03:54 PM
I wonder if that's the same part that was found MISSING on one of the U.S. Abarths (at least I think it was down here)? They also had to order it, if it was.

In any case, it's good to know they found the cause of the problem and are in the process of correcting it. Enjoy your 'Little Monster' once it's well!

Mortgageman
06-08-2012, 04:21 PM
The part was ordered last Friday (June 1st). I confirmed with the studio today the ETA of the part will be late next week. Once something has to cross the border it always adds a few days. Furthermore, we are just ending a railway strike in Canada which is affecting the shipping of everything.

A day or two more or less is not what I am concerned about. I am concerned whether this part will actually fix the problem. If it does not, the length of my patience maybe surpassed.

Mortgageman
06-14-2012, 11:50 PM
the part arrived today and the studio replace the broken clamp. I picked up the car and it appears to be working perfectly. I am pleased to be able to actually drive the car as it was meant to be driven. Thank you everyone for your advice.

Regards,

Abarth Five O
06-15-2012, 02:25 AM
I'm glad they got it fixed for you and you're happy again with your Abarth. Looks like Fiat's been having problems with their inter cooler/turbo hose clamps. I hope they get that weak point corrected before my Abarth is built shortly.

FiatCares
06-15-2012, 10:12 AM
the part arrived today and the studio replace the broken clamp. I picked up the car and it appears to be working perfectly. I am pleased to be able to actually drive the car as it was meant to be driven. Thank you everyone for your advice.

Regards,

Thats great news.. Im glad they were able to finally get it done for you.