PDA

View Full Version : I hate the key fob

toddr124
05-22-2012, 03:08 PM
Okay, I am being petty, but the key fob keeps opening in my pocket. My Jaguar key fob never opened by accident in my pocket. Do the fancy (expensive) key fob covers solve this problem?

I hate being petty, but this is a problem for every guy who carries his keys in his pocket.

DCAbarth
05-22-2012, 03:31 PM
Sooo is that a key fob in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?!

So sorry, couldn't resist that! Lol

I can see how that would be annoying though. I still have a month or so before I can say if that will n
Be a problem or not though.

Sealy
05-22-2012, 03:37 PM
Covers don't do anything but cover - direct swap. Try putting is in your pocket with the button facing out or facing in - one or the other might help.

ScorpionSkins.com
05-22-2012, 03:51 PM
I've carried the FOB for an Alfa in my pocket for over two months, never had any problems with it. Assuming they are built similarly (which would appear so from photos), no complaints here.

toddr124
05-22-2012, 04:09 PM
Covers don't do anything but cover - direct swap. Try putting is in your pocket with the button facing out or facing in - one or the other might help.

I have tried both ways in the pocket with the same problem. Thanks for the suggestion.

Mike S
05-22-2012, 04:35 PM
I'm sure Madness will have an Abarth key fob condom soon and that should solve the problem, although it will probably cost about $500.

FiatGusto
05-22-2012, 05:49 PM
Had my Sport for a year, and my key has opened several times.. Not too annoying as life goes..

Abarth01
05-22-2012, 08:12 PM
I've noticed the key fob opening in my pocket from time to time. More of a nuisance than anything else. I would have liked it if they had put push button start in the Abarth, which would have certainly been a extra feature to set it apart.

deathshead
05-22-2012, 09:12 PM
Okay, I am being petty, but the key fob keeps opening in my pocket. My Jaguar key fob never opened by accident in my pocket. Do the fancy (expensive) key fob covers solve this problem?

I hate being petty, but this is a problem for every guy who carries his keys in his pocket.

You forgot the disclaimer before your post.... "Only read in Thurston howell III voice."

Corrnaus
05-22-2012, 10:17 PM
Maybe stop wearing skinny jeans and the problem will be solved..:smug:

Sealy
05-23-2012, 06:53 AM
I have tried both ways in the pocket with the same problem. Thanks for the suggestion.

Maybe something in or around your pocket is poking the button? Try rearranging stuff. :eek:

toddr124
05-23-2012, 08:34 AM
You forgot the disclaimer before your post.... "Only read in Thurston howell III voice."

I was taught in business to worry about the little things. If you fix all the little things the big problems will never happen.

Now if you excuse me I have to take my Abarth out on a three hour tour. I hope the weather does not get rough.

deathshead
05-27-2012, 12:03 AM
I was taught in business to worry about the little things. If you fix all the little things the big problems will never happen.

Now if you excuse me I have to take my Abarth out on a three hour tour. I hope the weather does not get rough.

Say Hi to "Lovey" for us!

toddr124
05-27-2012, 08:32 AM
Maybe something in or around your pocket is poking the button? Try rearranging stuff. :eek:

I know it is being poked in my pocket, but I think it is the cell phone or change.:culpability::culpability: Normal things that are IN the pocket.

Chris
05-27-2012, 09:17 AM
As fobs go- this one is cheap. Very. Mine pops open easily, never has closed flush...

ewflyer
06-11-2012, 02:44 PM
I have the same problem with my Abarth key fob.

I think the spring in the key fob is too weak. So it's a simple case of under-engineering. A stronger spring would hold more tension against the key-release button and prevent all this pocket opening we're experiencing.

I've been meaning to examine and tinker with the key fob to see if it would be possible to take it apart (gently, so it could be successfully reassembled). If it can be taken apart and put back together then it should be easy to find a stiffer spring of the correct size to substitute for the original too-weak spring.

lagallinavecchia
06-18-2012, 10:55 AM

hahaha! Or Jeremy Clarkson... "Jaaaaaag"

ahh-bert
06-25-2012, 10:49 PM
I'm a girl, but have found that attaching a carabiner to my key chain makes it possible to hook it to my purse strap so it doesn't get lost in the bottom of my purse. Maybe guys could hook it to a belt loop? It works great for me, but maybe not quite right for guys. Just an idea...

Crossfirecat
09-19-2012, 11:19 PM
I had the same issue with the key fob to my Crossfire. But to be honest, the most annoying thing was the panic button! Every time I sat down, it wouldn't be long before somebody would come up to me and say "your alarm is going off". So I can live with a poke from the key popping out every now and then. I just like to think of it as my Abarth telling me she wants to go for a ride.

Fiat500USA
09-20-2012, 12:50 AM
Interestingly, my 500 key never popped open, but the Abarth one does.

Pinecone
09-20-2012, 03:42 AM
I don't understand the switch blade keys. I prefer just a key. On these, the fob portion is 90 degrees to the key itself, so the angles to insert in the ignition are strange.

And it opens in my pocket. I agree, a strong spring would help. Maybe have to take it apart to see about changing.

scorpion_king
09-20-2012, 04:20 AM
I got this from 500madness and it will never open up in ur pocket. It's about $17
http://i46.tinypic.com/168tmqr.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/1zwopiu.jpg

paook
09-20-2012, 01:00 PM
I had the same issue with the key fob to my Crossfire. But to be honest, the most annoying thing was the panic button! Every time I sat down, it wouldn't be long before somebody would come up to me and say "your alarm is going off". So I can live with a poke from the key popping out every now and then. I just like to think of it as my Abarth telling me she wants to go for a ride.

This is one thing I absolutely LOVE about the 500 key fob. NO PANIC BUTTON. I was looking into turning that off on my previous car's fob (without going to the dealer) and the instructions were a Texas two-step so I gave up.

White Abarth
09-22-2012, 01:22 AM
I opened up my fob and stretched the dainty little spring a bit so my key now stays closed.

The key/fob can be opened fairly easily - just be careful to take it apart on a clean table or someplace where you can keep track of all the pieces. There are two springs inside. One flips open the key, the other keeps the button in place. The spring for the button is quite small (about half the diameter of the spring you'd find in a typical retractable pen.) The only tools needed to get inside are small flat and Phillips-heads. Oh, a set of good eyes probably would help. I didn't take any photos, but could probably perform the process again and take some.

EliRider
09-22-2012, 04:41 PM
Thank you "White Abarth". Useful hint...

Here are some pictures.

3583 3584 3585

Just tried your fix... I'll see if it works. It feels better already.

I opened up my fob and stretched the dainty little spring a bit so my key now stays closed.

The key/fob can be opened fairly easily - just be careful to take it apart on a clean table or someplace where you can keep track of all the pieces. There are two springs inside. One flips open the key, the other keeps the button in place. The spring for the button is quite small (about half the diameter of the spring you'd find in a typical retractable pen.) The only tools needed to get inside are small flat and Phillips-heads. Oh, a set of good eyes probably would help. I didn't take any photos, but could probably perform the process again and take some.

cmj912
09-23-2012, 09:13 AM
This is one thing I absolutely LOVE about the 500 key fob. NO PANIC BUTTON. I was looking into turning that off on my previous car's fob (without going to the dealer) and the instructions were a Texas two-step so I gave up.

I used to do that all the time myself on my Honda. The Volvo's button was so recessed that you had to deliberately hit it.

Now I know there's no panic button, but is there even a panic FUNCTION? I like to set it off when the kids in the neighborhood get their bikes too close to mine and the neighbor's cars. :) (jk)

JuanTopo
10-10-2012, 02:47 PM
I'm having the same issue but i don't see it as a problem. It should stay close until needed to be open but it doesn't bother me.

Pinecone
10-11-2012, 01:14 PM
I did the stretched spring mod. It helped, but I need to stretch it some more.

It needs a ring about the button, to prevent the button from being pressed.

Ktm250f3
10-11-2012, 03:07 PM
Problem solved 37533754